Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

It’s incredibly wrong if you know Guitar Hero and Rock Band exist

Well, I think if you're playing either of those solo, no contest thumper is WAY better.

If you're playing in a group, rock band is much better than guitar hero, but always annoyed me because why weren't we just playing real instruments?

I must admit I hadn't really grouped them in, because they're local multiplayer, which is basically it's own genre nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Verisimilidude posted:

Thumper is the greatest rhythm game ever made

Better than Persona Dancing All Night?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

!Klams posted:

Well, I think if you're playing either of those solo, no contest thumper is WAY better.

If you're playing in a group, rock band is much better than guitar hero, but always annoyed me because why weren't we just playing real instruments?

I must admit I hadn't really grouped them in, because they're local multiplayer, which is basically it's own genre nowadays.

Rock Band's drums are loving laughable

ok go etc
Sep 15, 2005

bach, kafka and licks
Half Life 3 will never come out

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

signalnoise posted:

Rock Band's drums are loving laughable

quote from "A guy playing a toy guitar".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Universe Master posted:

The toy drums are shittier toys than the toy guitars I think

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Universe Master posted:

Yeah, pretty much. If you wanna do guitar game, you got Rocksmith. If you wanna do drum game, you got this poo poo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPkKF3esJ7Y

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

ok go etc posted:

Maybe you should start a "Widely Known Videogame Facts" thread

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ok go etc posted:

Good because Half-Life 2 was trash and its episodes somehow plummeted further in quality

Edit: oh whoops, need to include an unpopular opinion. Final Fantasy 8 is better than 9.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Barudak posted:

Good because Half-Life 2 was trash and its episodes somehow plummeted further in quality

Edit: oh whoops, need to include an unpopular opinion. Final Fantasy 8 is better than 9.

FF9 has more charm but ff8 is a far more interesting game

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
if you ever find yourself liking a final fantasy "story" you should get checked for prodromal schizophrenia.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Everyone was right to call FF8 abject trash when it first came out and it's been really weird seeing it get rehabilitated over the last several years.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

is pepsi ok posted:

Everyone was right to call FF8 abject trash when it first came out and it's been really weird seeing it get rehabilitated over the last several years.

It's a fun game and just what I needed at age 15

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

is pepsi ok posted:

Imagine being surprised at running into people who like the second shittiest FF in the unpopular videogames opinion thread.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

is pepsi ok posted:

I blame cool ghost.

Alpha protocol convinced people it was a bazillion times more reactive than it really was.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

I blame cool ghost.

Alpha protocol convinced people it was a bazillion times more reactive than it really was.

That's good though, I mean Dark Souls does the same thing in terms of convincing people that it's way harder than it is, it's a trick in both and they're liked for how convincing the trick is at first

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah that's just clever game design. If Dark Souls was as hard as people make it out to be, few people would play it. People aren't lying though. The game just does a bang up job of making it feel extremely hard when it's actually something you will almost surely be able to finish regardless of skill.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I remember when I first started playing Dark Souls 1 there was this room in undead burg right after you find the first bonfire that I just couldn't get across. I spent maybe 3 hours throwing myself into this meat grinder, with zombies chucking firebombs at you from overhead, then a room with 4 dudes when at this point you've only encountered 2 or 3 guys at the same time.

It all finally clicked when I realized how useful the shield was in that game, and it was then that I started instinctively raising my shield to inspect new rooms. Eventually you get so used to the mechanics and timing windows that using a great weapon becomes the next best thing, and I kinda evolved from sword and shield to the zweihander by the time I hit the third act of the game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah that's just clever game design. If Dark Souls was as hard as people make it out to be, few people would play it. People aren't lying though. The game just does a bang up job of making it feel extremely hard when it's actually something you will almost surely be able to finish regardless of skill.

I wouldn't say that Bloodsouls is hard in mechanical terms, especially since the control scheme they created with DeS represents one of the more masterful genre control refinements in videogame history, but FROM does employ stylistic choices in art and sound design, etc that are there specifically to intimidate and unnerve the player, like jamming the music volume on bosses in Bloodborne in the final 15 percent of the fight.

That kind of thing could be seen as difficulty in a different way than traditional health sliders and drop rates, because it's in essence less about input difficulty per se and more about perception of hostility. I do think that many people who cite Bloodsouls as too 'difficult' are often conflating the word with 'hostile' and 'indifferent', such as with the sink-or-swim way the games go about their tutorials. Moreover, it just speaks to a mild reversal in the industry regarding auto-play quality of life features that kept on ramping up after quick-saving became standard.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. It is difficult in a technical sense compared to most games too though, but the game does many things to quietly offset it to make everything doable for everyone, and still feel like a badass for doing it.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Tank controls weren't that bad.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

spaceblancmange posted:

Agreed, though I'd still take the way MGS1 controls over all of this over-the-shoulder copycat poo poo.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Counterstrike has had its day and ActionQuake was better.
Unreal is a better game engine than id.
Kickstarter, early access and greenlight halted the codblops graphics>story trend.

Undertale is poo poo. Cave story + too.

Solvalou
Aug 31, 2001

spaceblancmange posted:

Virtual On is a seriously underrated game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Solvalou posted:

Virtual On is a seriously underrated game.

Sadly the series is now light novel games about highschool wizards.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

spaceblancmange posted:

also if it doesn't have tank controls it isn't a survival horror game :colbert:

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
Quake Champions is a good game, the things that are different about it are reasonable adaptations to the modern times because a game can't survive only on sweaty nerd diehards that have been playing Quake since black trenchcoats were considered cool.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rutibex posted:

also if it doesn't have tank controls it isn't a survival horror game :colbert:

If we redefine “survival horror” to mean “bad games” then sure

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Kommando posted:

Unreal is a better game engine than id.

uh

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Graphic posted:

Quake Champions is a good game, the things that are different about it are reasonable adaptations to the modern times because a game can't survive only on sweaty nerd diehards that have been playing Quake since black trenchcoats were considered cool.

Even during Q3A a black trenchcoat was "I'm picked on the most at school"

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Even during Q3A a black trenchcoat was "I'm picked on the most at school"

I should clarify: back when the type of people that are experts at Q3A thought black trenchcoats were cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCyrKJg-1VM&t=26s

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Graphic posted:

I should clarify: back when the type of people that are experts at Q3A thought black trenchcoats were cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCyrKJg-1VM&t=26s

I was more thinking Columbine edgelords (for some reason), which I think every school had a handful of.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
games are only fun on drugs or drunk

Blizzard hasn't made a good game in 16 years.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

a bone to pick posted:

games are only fun on drugs or drunk

Soooo wrong

a bone to pick posted:

Sooooo right

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
It's been almost 7 years since we had a proper Elder Scrolls game and this leaves a gigantic hole in my gaming needs.

Even loving Daggerfall to Morrowind took only 6 years

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DrPossum posted:

It's been almost 7 years since we had a proper Elder Scrolls game and this leaves a gigantic hole in my gaming needs.

Even loving Daggerfall to Morrowind took only 6 years

it is taking a long time to record all of the protagonists voice acting for each race/gender combination

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Rutibex posted:

it is taking a long time to record all of the protagonists voice acting for each race/gender combination

Yeah, I guess when you have three voice actors you can only do so much in a day

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkFdqqyI8y4
this did happen

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!

a bone to pick posted:

Did you just declare WC3 as being "good?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Phlairdon posted:

Did you just declare WC3 as being "good?"

oh god here comes the spicy hot take