Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Coolness Averted posted:

As any WW1 game should be. Wraith: The Great War is also set in WW1, but you're playing as the actual war dead during a civil war among the dead spanning WW1. Also Wraith is one of those games that seems really cool in concept and to read, but is hell to get playing, since by the base rules either A. Every player is playing both their character and another player's character's death-drive, or a second GM to play and manage that aspect for the players.

It could be all ran and controlled by a single GM to avoid some chaos, but that also sort of turns the shadow into a plot device for the GM that can rob players of agency.

I’ve had some great experience in Wraith with players playing their own Shadow. It does change the relationship slightly, makes it more subtle in my experience, and turns the Shadow into less of an antagonist and more of a temptation. The streamlining was worth it, in my experience.

I also played in an amazing game that took place during Charon’s first harrowing where one player played Charon and the others played Spectres, but all of them eventually tapped out to be replaced with important Wraiths, until the only Spectre left was Charon’s shadow. It was an honestly amazing experience, if a bit more narratively heavy and artsy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Imagined posted:

I want to like Savage Worlds. All the poker metaphors and terminology made sense and fit the setting in Deadlands, but I really hate talking about aces and wild cards and jokers in a game like Weird War Rome.

I just use explode for aces, VIPs for wild cards, and we don't use the cards way of doing initiative so jokers don't come up.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

LongDarkNight posted:

Compleat Strategist in Manhattan. It's like one of those shops in Harry Potter.

Xiahou Dun posted:

We’re actually pretty poor for gaming stores cause floor-space is so expensive. But there are a couple. Compleat Strategist in midtown has a ton of stuff but is very cramped. There’s also a bordgaming/bar place near me in Harlem.

There’s also stuff in Brooklyn I know less well. Drop me a pm or check the LAN thread.

Neat, I'll endeavour to check it out!

And also see if brooklyn is an option, not sure of the extent of free time as yet.

Plutonis posted:

Is there any WW1/WW2 low fantasy setting TRPG out there? Playing Valky 4 and the setting is so good it's making me wonder.

Keep the power down, Godlike by Stolze and Detwiller might fit?

Cassa fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 3, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I need to look up Savage Worlds, and also wonder how to run a Venture Bros game in it.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:

Hey folks! As you may have noticed, TG got a spooky Halloween rename and I'm renaming some of the threads as well. If you have any spooky thread rename suggestions, please let me know.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

None because gently caress Halloween.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

rename the 5e thread 'hell' and then close it

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

rename the 5e thread 'Baator' and then close it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Plutonis posted:

That is some amazingly bad taste pal

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Plutonis posted:

Mods?!?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Sextober.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I agree with Plutonis: Halloween sucks

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Ctrl-r game / ghoul

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
This might be the only time in history where Plutonis has been right.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

I like this except the closing part :colbert:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Skelettin posted:

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:

Hey folks! As you may have noticed, TG got a spooky Halloween rename and I'm renaming some of the threads as well. If you have any spooky thread rename suggestions, please let me know.

Gotta say, I'm surprised you went with "Let's Possess!" instead of the low-hanging "Let's Prey!"

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Look at all these bad opinions about the objectively best holiday.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Zarick posted:

Since someone brought up Spellbound Kingdoms, I picked it up and it seems really cool. Did the Kickstarted expansion book ever actually come out? I'm really interested in the "make your own fighting style" rules, since so much of the system hinges on the fighting styles.

There haven't been any updates on the supplement since the announcement that the custom fighting style rules will be added to the book. The author is a high school teacher so he was probably devoured by teenagers when school started up again.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yawgmoth posted:

Look at all these bad opinions about the objectively best holiday.

Agreed I think they need punishment for having such bad opinions

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I hate horror as a genre so October is just me not getting to participate in office small talk for a month

The candy part is good, and orange is my favorite color

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Brother Entropy posted:

Nice try, but there’s no escape from hell.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Brother Entropy posted:

So this made me check in on what the 5e thread has been up to and I see that some of the thread regulars have decided to cope with reminders that 5e is a weak game with lovely creative backing that gave nods to the worst fringes of online tabletop rpg culture by deciding that everyone still going on about it is a fringe leftist with a persecution complex and.... that sure is an approach

:staredog:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

So this made me check in on what the 5e thread has been up to and I see that some of the thread regulars have decided to cope with reminders that 5e is a weak game with lovely creative backing that gave nods to the worst fringes of online tabletop rpg culture by deciding that everyone still going on about it is a fringe leftist with a persecution complex and.... that sure is an approach

:staredog:

Actually it's because the 5e thread is a stupid loving culture war based around Zak S

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

Actually it's because the 5e thread is a stupid loving culture war based around Zak S

I still maintain that if people prefer to post about Zak Smith in the 5E thread than in the Industry thread then we should simply rename it to the Zak Smith Perseveration Station and then let it just go wild.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bedlamdan posted:

I still maintain that if people prefer to post about Zak Smith in the 5E thread than in the Industry thread then we should simply rename it to the Zak Smith Perseveration Station and then let it just go wild.

We should really not

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Only if it's a honeypot thread

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
We don't need to rehash this here :negative:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Skelettin posted:

Sorry Ettin, I was just amazed because last time I checked it was just normal D&D arguments about the power level of wizards.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
https://twitter.com/JAVdottxt/status/1047564574688464896

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
That thread also reminded me I need to back The Forest Hymn & Picnic while the kickstarter is still live, so thank you 5e thread.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Skelettin posted:

Better it be shorter blurbs here than derails in the 5e thread I'd say. Plus there really are a bunch of people who dont follow this subforum that closely and wouldn't know that dude is a slimeball and has had a hand in harassment. Hell I met the guy in real life once or twice and he seemed fine (and was also a close friend of one of the most genuinely decent people I knew from the industry) His online antics seemed utterly out of character with someone from that circle. Heck back in the grognards.txt days goons were the ones who came off as the weirdos whenever they engaged with him or his girlfriend. -So I think it's okay to occasionally rehash the dude is garbage and Mearls and WotC don't mind.
But I'm also not a regular here anymore so I don't know what's completely overplayed and fruitless.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

That thread also reminded me I need to back The Forest Hymn & Picnic while the kickstarter is still live, so thank you 5e thread.

I really hope it gets enough last minute pledges to get that Ocean stretch goal, cause it sounds neat

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition Has the Wrong RAM.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

Better it be shorter blurbs here than derails in the 5e thread I'd say. Plus there really are a bunch of people who dont follow this subforum that closely and wouldn't know that dude is a slimeball and has had a hand in harassment. Hell I met the guy in real life once or twice and he seemed fine (and was also a close friend of one of the most genuinely decent people I knew from the industry) His online antics seemed utterly out of character with someone from that circle. Heck back in the grognards.txt days goons were the ones who came off as the weirdos whenever they engaged with him or his girlfriend. -So I think it's okay to occasionally rehash the dude is garbage and Mearls and WotC don't mind.
But I'm also not a regular here anymore so I don't know what's completely overplayed and fruitless.

I meant posts about the 5E thread sucking rear end, not that guy.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

drrockso20 posted:

I really hope it gets enough last minute pledges to get that Ocean stretch goal, cause it sounds neat

I'm optimistic it'll hit the $22k in the last 4 days. It's up at $19k now. I was a bit concerned about porting the SotDL system to a light The Wind in the Willows-esq game, but I'm willing to give it a try if Schwab is promoting it.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
There somewhere to talk about spooky games in general?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Coolness Averted posted:

Better it be shorter blurbs here than derails in the 5e thread I'd say. Plus there really are a bunch of people who don't follow this subforum that closely and wouldn't know that dude is a slimeball and has had a hand in harassment.

that is uhh the point my dude.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Kestral posted:

[...]
It's also worth pointing out that when Rand says it's doing things for her financial situation, that's not just about making the author more comfortable. Jenna has been repeatedly hosed over by the people she's worked for in ways that far, far exceed the normal horror stories associated with RPG freelancing, so you can feel good about supporting an author who could use a hand up.

Can you elaborate? I´ve tried my Google-Fu but didn´t really dig up anything, though I might not have looked into it too strongly.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mr.Misfit posted:

Can you elaborate? I´ve tried my Google-Fu but didn´t really dig up anything, though I might not have looked into it too strongly.

She was screwed over by for some edition of Nobilis (3e, most likely) for money. There may have been a rights dispute as well, but someone else will have to clarify. I believe the printer also ran off with a run of books and quietly hawked them on ebay. There was another book, (Chuubo's?), where she had to pay out of pocket for some expensive new art because it was found out that some of the contracted pieces were traced from Touhou fanart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Nuns with Guns posted:

She was screwed over by for some edition of Nobilis (3e, most likely) for money. There may have been a rights dispute as well, but someone else will have to clarify. I believe the printer also ran off with a run of books and quietly hawked them on ebay. There was another book, (Chuubo's?), where she had to pay out of pocket for some expensive new art because it was found out that some of the contracted pieces were traced from Touhou fanart.
And then there was the whole disaster with Legends of the Wulin and that publisher.