Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

mike12345 posted:

man that transportation episode was bad. all over the place, no direction wtf I switched it off.

I really liked the transportation episode, I was surprised to hear so many people slagging it off.

Also I've been trying to find the picture your avatar is from for like a week. It's Marco Rubio's face between a bunch of reporters looking like he's seen a ghost, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

yep

no clue where it's from

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Fished the Erroll Flynn ep as part of my random walk through the archive. Holy poo poo, the guy was a loving MONSTER.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AceOfFlames posted:

Fished the Erroll Flynn ep as part of my random walk through the archive. Holy poo poo, the guy was a loving MONSTER.

Yeah, it was pretty hosed up to find out he was a slaver previous to his career as an enormous movie star.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Dipping into the archive and listening to the old Talkspace ads just reminds me how much monstrous poo poo Trump has done that I'd totally forgotten about. Like, remember when he went to Puerto Rico after the hurricane and tossed them a roll of paper towels? Holy poo poo.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Dave sounds so happy during the Talkspace ad read today :unsmith:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

exploded mummy posted:

Dave sounds so happy during the Talkspace ad read today :unsmith:

Yeah but he's too smart to believe Trump is actually going to get impeached.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Previa_fun posted:

Yeah but he's too smart to believe Trump is actually going to get impeached.

I think there is chance but more likely he will be forced into resigning.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dave’s little aside made me hope for an episode on Jordan Peterson.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
The last 2 episodes (Charles Dederich and Synaon / Lord Gordon Gordon) have been among 2 of my favorites they've done. I could not stop laughing at the balls of Gordon Gordon and the craziness of Synanon.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

iota subscript
Oct 26, 2010

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - ONE SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE
NO SLEEP TILL HUGO

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Just sat down for the Cleveland show. The crowd is about as goony as I would have figured. In a good way.

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I have no way of knowing if it was my suggestions that got him to do it, but I sent info on both Benjamin Lay and Synanon to Dave a little over a year ago.

Feels good to have them covered finally.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Think they are ever going to cover the construction of the Sydney Opera House? Lots of bungling (initial "plans" were essentially a glorified napkin doodle, stuff had to be torn down and built back up due to rushed construction and bad planning), pettiness (Jørn Utzon's primadonna moments, Robert Askin and Davis Hughes making Utzon's life hell), WTF moments (the maestro that was forced to resign over an affair with an occultist) and some rather sad moments (Utzon never went back to Australia after getting fired and thus has died never having seen the Opera House in person).

They must have had requests to do it. Wonder if that will be the Sydney Live Show.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 17, 2018

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

stealie72 posted:

Just sat down for the Cleveland show. The crowd is about as goony as I would have figured. In a good way.

I gotta say the highlight of the Cleveland show was hearing about how Danny Greene got bullied by Italians and Slovenians in Collinwood. My Slovenian grandfather grew up in Collinwood, at exactly the same time as Greene, and openly admitted that he was a vicious bully as a teenager, particularly towards the Irish in the neighborhood.

There’s a fair chance my granddad beat up the subject of a dollop for his lunch money.

Edit: And having just texted my dad, granddad also spent most of his life working as a longshoreman. He might have worked under the subject of a dollop too.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 21, 2018

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Anyone interested in buying two tickets to the early Boston show for Nov 17? Have to be out of town due to work

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

As a gay dude who only had a passing knowledge of what specifically went down during stonewall this latest episode was pretty neat, but whew boy were there a lot of "he"s thrown around where they probably shouldn't have been.

Also apparently Dave handled taking criticism very badly again, what a shock.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Yeah bummed that he removed the episode because I learned a lot. Also shocked that people are still outraged that Dave can be extremely off-color after 300+ episodes.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I couldn't help but remark that it always sucks when cis straight people tell LGBT stories, particularly for the purpose of comedy. Lots of overdone gay jokes too, Gareth jumped right into a "The oppressors are actually gay themselves!" bit that was dead on arrival and spent the rest of the show remarking on how tough the crowd was, but they got good reactions to the story, the jokes were just lame and full of bad messages. A real waste of good research.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Dave finally doing all but straight up begging the listeners to rise up in possibly violent protest against the supreme court was good and needed.

(also the episode is still up as I type this?)

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah the ending was real good. It's just a shame they stooped to some really bad jokes on what was otherwise a really good episode. Especially sucks that they have decided that they're not doing any more LGBT stories now.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Shnooks posted:

Yeah bummed that he removed the episode because I learned a lot. Also shocked that people are still outraged that Dave can be extremely off-color after 300+ episodes.

They took the episode down???? Why??

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

SalTheBard posted:

It's still up on libsyn and soundcloud so if it was down it's back.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

SalTheBard posted:

Someone was upset with a transphobic joke, people were upset that he didnt name individual rioters, and also because people were upset at the gay jokes. He said on Facebook he took it down.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Their bit is always to make jokes in the times of the joke. What's different with this one than every one they do on race? I'm black so I kind of get what people are saying but then again I don't? Can someone explain it in those terms?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Veskit posted:

Their bit is always to make jokes in the times of the joke. What's different with this one than every one they do on race? I'm black so I kind of get what people are saying but then again I don't? Can someone explain it in those terms?

The punchline of one of the jokes is that one of the cops was in the closet and thus super into one of the trans women he was arresting because she had a dick. The implication of the joke being that trans women are just men in women's clothing, which is really bad. Also the whole "homophobic people are just gays in the closet" is a really old and really bad take/joke.

E: Like, normally when they do those kinds of jokes it's to highlight the absurdity of people's bigotry back in the day, not accidentally do a bigoted joke themselves.

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 3, 2018

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Fair, though I could also see them just loving up a bit trying to be funny to a love audience. I'm much more forgiving though so I can see both sides.

In before Trump

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i'm inclined to believe they weren't intending to be hurtful by making those jokes, but that doesn't invalidate the people who were hurt
unfortunately, handling that kind of situation has never been their strong suit

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Shnooks posted:

Someone was upset with a transphobic joke, people were upset that he didnt name individual rioters, and also because people were upset at the gay jokes. He said on Facebook he took it down.

I bet he didn't name individuals because he didn't want to stir up poo poo by opening the debate of whether it was a cis lesbian woman or a trans woman who "started" the riots, but someone's gonna get mad about something.

It's baffling to see people losing their poo poo about this on twitter. Like they were fine with the jokes about dead children, genocide, etc---those were all in good fun--but after this episode they are CANCELED

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Veskit posted:

Fair, though I could also see them just loving up a bit trying to be funny to a love audience. I'm much more forgiving though so I can see both sides.

In before Trump

Oh, yeah, it was 100% unintentional. It's just something some people were still hurt by it, pointed it out to Dave, and well Dave did what he does.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Slanderer posted:

It's baffling to see people losing their poo poo about this on twitter. Like they were fine with the jokes about dead children, genocide, etc---those were all in good fun--but after this episode they are CANCELED

To be fair, not all of them were fine with jokes about dead children or genocide either. The Dollop has gotten poo poo on Twitter since day one.

AriadneThread posted:

unfortunately, handling that kind of situation has never been their strong suit

Taking it down seems a pretty good way of handling it, I mean, even if they end up putting up an edited version or even backtracking doing something shows they are more reflective than the default comedian response of going "Comedians must be allowed to make jokes!".

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

btw if anyone's looking to take a break from the dollop, check out Last Podcast on the Left. it's even worse with jokes about dead people, but now's the scary month so a good time to check it out imo.

oh yeah it's like dollop but only murder-mystery type stories.

the one dude even sounds like gary

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
If you're alright with some gory descriptions, the series that they just did on the Donner Party is basically a long Dollop.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I'm pretty social justice warrior-y and I know the jokes are off color and in poor taste, but I learn from the podcast and sometimes improv is bad.

E: I never understood the dead children thing but maybe I'm missing something - are people mad that they laugh in the beginning when they're like "so and so was one of 8 - and everyone died in infancy!"?

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Oct 3, 2018

Serf
May 5, 2011

classic dave losing it over criticism. i dunno why the response can't be "sorry we hosed up, we'll do better in the future"

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Serf posted:

classic dave losing it over criticism. i dunno why the response can't be "sorry we hosed up, we'll do better in the future"

As far as I can tell that was exactly the response? Unless I've missed something?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Serf posted:

This is exactly the tone the dollops twitter is taking in its discussion.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

cohsae posted:

As far as I can tell that was exactly the response? Unless I've missed something?

He took down the apology and is playing a victim again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Maybe he should utilize Talkspace