Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I really wish I could have infinite lives in Mega Man 11 because lives is a stupid archaic video game system that should go away forever, but the only way to do that is to play it on the super easy mode. The big problem with super easy mode is that if you fall in a pit you don't die at all or even get hurt, you get rescued by a bird robot.

I want the infinite lives of the super easy mode but without the rest of the easy mode stuff. I'm perfectly fine with beating my head against the same boss over and over (the acid guy who is hard as gently caress) but doing that and losing all my lives and having to do the ENTIRE stage over is the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you play the second easy mode you start with a bunch and they're cheap enough you can max out to 9 whenever you want.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Are those three NES games the only things being added to Nintendo Online this month?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The only things being added to Nintendo Entertainment System Online

Super Mario Party's online mode is going up, a new patch is coming for Splatoon 2, and there may or may not be special offers that go up.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dark Souls on Switch is currently available for preorder for $29 at Walmart.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

So I have never played Dark Souls, but I have heard it is stupid hard. Is it fun as well?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Snowmankilla posted:

So I have never played Dark Souls, but I have heard it is stupid hard. Is it fun as well?

its difficulty gets over inflated by the fanbase; it's kinda rough going early on when you're still figuring things out but if you're the kind of person who enjoys overcoming challenges it's loads of fun. there's nothing quite like the satisfaction of finally beating a boss you've been running your head into for an hour

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Snowmankilla posted:

It’s hard in the sense that you have to be very careful. It’s not too bad once you get the mechanics down and start to learn what to expect from the game. It’s very fun, there’s a reason why people have been constantly talking about it since its original release 7 years ago.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Al Borland Corpse posted:

The only things being added to Nintendo Entertainment System Online

Super Mario Party's online mode is going up, a new patch is coming for Splatoon 2, and there may or may not be special offers that go up.

That's a shame. Thanks for the info.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Snowmankilla posted:

Be warned, playtests indicate that other than portability this might be the worst version yet so if you own literally any video game console or PC manufactured since 2006 you may have better and significantly cheaper options to play this

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Reality Pisser posted:

Went 20/0 in my first arena of Valor match

Game's good folks

Your first 3 matches are against bots and if you go on a losing streak they throw you back in with bots. So git gud scrub.

Also add earnestvalor for a fun time with Alice

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Snowmankilla posted:

The difficulty is greatly overstated and mostly comes from treating it like other action RPGs - that is, running and button-mashing. You're supposed to take things slower, pay attention to things like enemy attack animations and environmental cues (there is no trap or ambush you can't spot before it happens).

If you enjoy that sort of gameplay then it's amazing and really stands out as one-of-a-kind. :3:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Barudak posted:

Be warned, playtests indicate that other than portability this might be the worst version yet so if you own literally any video game console or PC manufactured since 2006 you may have better and significantly cheaper options to play this

Where you hear that? I know it’s obviously not as good as on PC/PS4/X1 but I haven’t heard it being worse than on 360 and PS3.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

Your first 3 matches are against bots and if you go on a losing streak they throw you back in with bots. So git gud scrub.

Also add earnestvalor for a fun time with Alice

Between this and Paladins pulling the same trick I get to keep laughing at people

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Did the fix the door jump thing in MM11???

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Paladins, an absolute garbage game without a single original idea, makes the AI matches really obvious? Anyway, it's a garbage game. Without a whit of an original idea.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

can you guys who got megaman 11 tell me what changes the easiest mode makes? or is there a list somewhere? im only finding announcement info when i google

content
Feb 13, 2014

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I’ve also been wondering about this.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

content posted:

I’ve also been wondering about this.

They, sadly, did not.

Kly posted:

can you guys who got megaman 11 tell me what changes the easiest mode makes? or is there a list somewhere? im only finding announcement info when i google

Newcomer mode has: Unlimited lives, way more health, less enemies on screen, if you fall in a pit a robot bird will get you out and you won't die, I don't think spikes insta-kill you, and I think something else with the gear system

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Snowmankilla posted:

Every Dark Souls game will have a part where you're going up a staircase and some rear end in a top hat rolls a flaming boulder down the top of it, there's lots of "gently caress you" moments like that where you're going to get owned the first time without adequate warning. Other players can even invade your world and disguise themselves as a statue, then pop off a crossbow shot to snipe you off a narrow bridge you're walking across. If you have a sense of humor about stuff like that (like me) then you'll love it, but if the thought of being griefed by the developers and other players sends you into a rage then you're gonna give up and refuse to touch it again (like my brother).

Anyway, I've beaten every game in the Souls series, except Demon's Souls that I'm nearly through now. It's the first series I've played in a long-rear end time where completing the game feels like a real accomplishment. The art and set pieces are spectacular too. The games aren't super-duper hard but in my opinion they all have a boss or two that are seriously hard enough to make you want to quit.

Oh, there's a steep learning curve at first, I was like "wow these are the worst controls ever and everything animates clunky" for the first couple hours but I stuck with it and learned the controls are actually good and the fighting has a lot of weight and timing to it that makes tank-and-spank swordfighting really fun.

JawnV6 posted:

Paladins, an absolute garbage game without a single original idea, makes the AI matches really obvious? Anyway, it's a garbage game. Without a whit of an original idea.

If you think that's bad, you should see Overwatch, totally ripped off Paladins.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

Every Dark Souls game will have a part where you're going up a staircase and some rear end in a top hat rolls a flaming boulder down the top of it, there's lots of "gently caress you" moments like that where you're going to get owned the first time without adequate warning. Other players can even invade your world and disguise themselves as a statue, then pop off a crossbow shot to snipe you off a narrow bridge you're walking across. If you have a sense of humor about stuff like that (like me) then you'll love it, but if the thought of being griefed by the developers and other players sends you into a rage then you're gonna give up and refuse to touch it again (like my brother).

The developers aren't griefing you, they simply want you to pay attention. A careful approach and an attention to your surroundings will let you spot stuff like that before it happens and is in fact one of the reasons the Souls games are so great! If you rush in blindly then you will surely come across a lot of those "bullshit" moments but they're entirely your own fault (and that's great!)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Does the Switch version still require a 3 button input to jump and a shoryuken combo to do a jumping attack instead of using any one of their 4 loving attack buttons for them?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

a jumping attack is just forward + heavy attack, though???

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Brother Entropy posted:

a jumping attack is just forward + heavy attack, though???
Jumping attacks are just smash attacks, Nintendo players should understand that one easily

No idea if you can rebind your keys in the Switch version but I know at least in the PC version of the Remaster you could, which is great because having run and jump be the same button was legitimately Really Bad Design (the rest of the Souls games got it right)

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Dark Souls is the series I have probably the most hours logged in; over 400 on the Steam version of Dark Souls 1 alone.

I own Dark Souls II and III on *literally* every platform they've been released on.

All told I've got probably over 2000 hours in the series.

I adore the games, and I jumped on the Switch port of DS1 as soon as I heard about it.

The games are hard, but almost always fair. However, they're subtle and often require you to approach things much more methodically than you might think at first glance.

If you're a totally new player, there's absolutely nothing wrong with making a character with 40 points in each of STR/STAM/END/VIT and using a sword and shield. In fact, that's an excellent way to learn how the game expects you to play. (oh, buy a bow and use it to pull enemies one at a time) Then, once you learn the mechanics, you can do New Game Plus, or just a new character, and do insane challenge runs like beating the game at level 1 with no armor and never getting hit, or using a banana or DDR pad as a controller.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I’m sorry you mean use the DK bongos as a controller.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
That too!

(the literal banana still wins though)

E: link!
https://youtu.be/6HBxOS_qQMk

Annath fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 3, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I better be able to play Dark Souls with the Poké Ball™ Plus

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Zero VGS posted:

If you think that's bad, you should see Overwatch, totally ripped off Paladins.

Yeah overwatch isn't exactly fresh, and paladins actually has an extra layer of mechanics that keep the minute to minute much more interesting.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Your Computer posted:

The developers aren't griefing you, they simply want you to pay attention. A careful approach and an attention to your surroundings will let you spot stuff like that before it happens and is in fact one of the reasons the Souls games are so great! If you rush in blindly then you will surely come across a lot of those "bullshit" moments but they're entirely your own fault (and that's great!)

That's like saying you should be able to beat Contra on your first try if you just pay attention. No, there's definitely parts in Souls that are time-sensitive or otherwise specifically designed around memorizing them and learning through failure, best examples being boss fights, or times when you drop down a pit and start getting chased down, or cornered by multiple monsters and buttfucked. There's a reason they have "Prepare to Die" as their famous tagline.

I died (comparatively) very little in Dark Souls 3, and some of that was learning situational awareness and FromSoftware logic, but some of that was also that they legitimately had less surprise shenanigans than DS1 or DS2.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

That's like saying you should be able to beat Contra on your first try if you just pay attention.

it isn't

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

"Git Gud" is mostly a jokey phrase but it's kinda true. You're not supposed to be good at Dark Souls your first time. It's a game you go at for a while. Learn it's quirks.

It also came out at the right time. That era of game design was defined by a lot of hand holding and mass market appeal. High selling games like Oblivion were watered down versions of games that came before them. Bioshock and the Prince of Persia reboot didn't even let you die.
Dark Souls was a breath of fresh air because it trusted the player to figure things out for themselves.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Your Computer posted:

I better be able to play Dark Souls with the Poké Ball™ Plus

I won’t be impressed until I hear someone beating Dark Souls like this.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
You die a lot and you learn from your deaths. The difference is that death isn't a "mission failed" scenario; you don't lose progress or reload a save. You can use death to your advantage, for example to rush an item, grab it, and die on purpose. Early on you may feel like you're losing progress when you lose the souls from a boss fight or whatever, but ultimately the number of souls you'll lose is a pittance and it'll never truly hinder you.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Volte posted:

You die a lot and you learn from your deaths. The difference is that death isn't a "mission failed" scenario; you don't lose progress or reload a save. You can use death to your advantage, for example to rush an item, grab it, and die on purpose. Early on you may feel like you're losing progress when you lose the souls from a boss fight or whatever, but ultimately the number of souls you'll lose is a pittance and it'll never truly hinder you.

Yeah. Souls might act as a sort or EXP, but the player's actual experience is more important.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm glad dark souls is the only game to ever let you die and retain mental information about future events as you restart from a check point.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Do you mean where if you jump before entering a boss door, you hover until you're all the way in like in the old games?

I always loved that glitch. It better still be there.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Leal posted:

I'm glad dark souls is the only game to ever let you die and retain mental information about future events as you restart from a check point.

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Mister Facetious posted:

Do you mean where if you jump before entering a boss door, you hover until you're all the way in like in the old games?

I always loved that glitch. It better still be there.

It's not a glitch if it's been in every game for 30 years. In MMX4 if you dash through a door as Zero, his hair keeps moving even as the rest of him is still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

"Git Gud" is mostly a jokey phrase but it's kinda true. You're not supposed to be good at Dark Souls your first time. It's a game you go at for a while. Learn it's quirks.
Oh for sure. It's just incredible how much easier you can make the game by being methodical and perceptive. I've watched dozens of playthroughs (I like having it on my second monitor while doing gimmick runs :3:) and some people have a lot easier time going through the game despite being rubbish at the combat simply by proceeding with caution and taking things slow.

The one part that you obviously can't prep for in advance is the boss fights, but even those have fairly rigid "rules" and once you figure them out it's just a matter of executing them. And if it proves to be too much, the game basically provides a "skip this boss" option with the summoning system so anyone can get through the game.

I think one of the main things that makes the Souls games fun instead of frustrating is that when you die it's your own fault, so you can go "ugh, why did I/didn't I..." and you get the urge to try again and do better. If you just "randomly died" at the whims of the dastardly developers it wouldn't be any fun because you couldn't learn anything from it (see: RNG in games).