Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Jennifer Goines is my fav new TV character of this decade

What is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

12 Monkeys.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

12 Monkeys.

Wait, really? This is not the tone I remember 12 Monkeys having.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MiddleOne posted:

Wait, really? This is not the tone I remember 12 Monkeys having.
The TV show has a totally different tone from the film.

The show does a serious dystopian plot and stuff but has a sense of humor about itself and plays with ideas and the absurdity of their plot from time to time. Also Jennifer Goines is schizophrenic (?) which allows them to do some really out there stuff with her that doesn't technically count.

Really, I can't recommend it enough.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They kill HItler at one point. The show embraces its craziness.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That image couldn't possibly be from later in the show either

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Everyone should watch 12 Monkeys.

You'll have the time of your life.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I genuinely can't wait for S4 to show up on streaming so I can rewatch it. I'm a little angry at myself for deleting it off my DVR as I went on but I really needed the space.

12 Monkeys might actually be worth me buying. And I haven't bought a TV show in a very long time and basically resent my Wire DVDs.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I watched parts of the first season but it didn't really do anything for me, the things that made the movie great was Terry Gilliam, Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt. Without them the concept just feels like a generic time travel story.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The series finale was, no bullshit, one of the best final episodes of any show i've ever seen. They (Syfy) nailed every aspect of my show and I loved every minute of it. The writing was good, the character interactions were good, the acting was good, the special effects and attention to detail in the different time periods was good.

12 Monkeys was a goddamned masterpiece of science fiction television and I can't recommend it enough to people.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I254cTZ5NOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MDmq-3WgNg

Emily Hampshire as Jennifer Goines is easily one of my favorite TV characters of this century.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 3, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Australia.jpg

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oasx posted:

I watched parts of the first season but it didn't really do anything for me, the things that made the movie great was Terry Gilliam, Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt. Without them the concept just feels like a generic time travel story.

The first season is good but it really picks up in season 2 once they kind of ditch the modern day and Cassandra starts time traveling as well.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Rocksicles posted:

Australia.jpg

I might just make a thread for it, even if there are only two episodes left.

That image would be the OP.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

EL BROMANCE posted:

I see Fresh Off The Boat got moved to Fridays this year, I wondering if that's going to be the final season for it. 5 years is a decent amount of time, and I can't see Constance Wu and Randall Park sticking to TV forever anyway.

Without being able to watch it with the Mick on the same night it's just lost some of its allure. That said I'm always up for something to watch on Fridays.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Gonz posted:

Case in point:

Emily Hampshire as Jennifer Goines is easily one of my favorite TV characters of this century.

I've nearly finished season 1 and while it was good it could have used more of her.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

drunkill posted:

I might just make a thread for it, even if there are only two episodes left.

That image would be the OP.

It's the most genuine Aussie shows i've seen in forever. There's not much to it, but that's how it is here. I didn't know Dewie Crow was Aussie, so i learned something.

Those two dickheads that got out of the Hilux and got twatted is exactly what happens.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Rocksicles posted:

It's the most genuine Aussie shows i've seen in forever. There's not much to it, but that's how it is here. I didn't know Dewie Crow was Aussie, so i learned something.

Those two dickheads that got out of the Hilux and got twatted is exactly what happens.

Agreed, it isn't ocker or trying to promote Australia as a place to live (which tends to be a condition for grants from the state and federal film bodies for funding) it just exists as a show, it could easily be set somewhere in America or England. It is Ray Donovan minus hollyood and all that entails, expensive car, huge house, big name actors.

Here's the thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3870445

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Mu Zeta posted:

Jose Andres is a hero and all that but he needs to keep his shirt on

The difference in the first and second episode of Parts Unknown season 12 is vast given the lack of Bourdain's narration. Episode 2 was interesting and I will take any Bourdain at this point, but it really suffers. Man I really miss Bourdain.

Mu Zeta posted:

Amazon is adapting The Wheel of Time with what I'm assuming a massive budget. The showrunner is some guy that worked on Agents of Shield 3 years ago.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/wheel-time-fantasy-drama-nabs-amazon-series-order-1148488

This feels like Amazon is competing with themselves since they are also doing Lord of the Rings.

I still don't understand how no one has picked up the First Law Trilogy. While it doesn't the name recognition of the above, it would make a better television than either of those. Also the First Law trilogy books are better than WoT ever was.

Netflix you want to compete with Amazon in the fantasy game or have the so-called next GoT? Trust me, make First Law Trilogy into a series (I think 4 seasons would be perfect). I still wonder what in the hell those photos of storyboards the guy saw on a studio tour were about?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Gonz posted:

Case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgheRhb_AdI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD5PjW_wKuo

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

12 Monkeys is so great

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

nate fisher posted:

The difference in the first and second episode of Parts Unknown season 12 is vast given the lack of Bourdain's narration. Episode 2 was interesting and I will take any Bourdain at this point, but it really suffers. Man I really miss Bourdain.

I still don't understand how no one has picked up the First Law Trilogy. While it doesn't the name recognition of the above, it would make a better television than either of those. Also the First Law trilogy books are better than WoT ever was.

Netflix you want to compete with Amazon in the fantasy game or have the so-called next GoT? Trust me, make First Law Trilogy into a series (I think 4 seasons would be perfect). I still wonder what in the hell those photos of storyboards the guy saw on a studio tour were about?

The first book is incredibly boring and features three very unlikeable characters doing variations of the same things over and over for like 500 pages until there's a tiny bit of development at the end. Do the other books get much better or something?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hakkesshu posted:

The first book is incredibly boring and features three very unlikeable characters doing variations of the same things over and over for like 500 pages until there's a tiny bit of development at the end. Do the other books get much better or something?

The characters don't really become likeable in the normal sense but if you don't like Logan Ninefingers then I just don't know what to say to you.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I didn't see an active thread, and I searched this thread for any mentions and didn't see anything, so sorry if I'm just retreading a conversation.

Mr. Inbetween is way better than I thought it would be. The only person I recognize in it is Damon Herriman, who was Dewey Crowe from Justified. The main character, Scott Ryan, is pretty loving amazing. He kind of looks like Dave Foley's ex con brother.
The episodes are only 30 minutes, which is perfect.
I initially dismissed it as just a lovely "Sons of Anarchy" type show, but I'm quite glad I gave it a chance.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I said if you watch 12 Monkeys YOU'LL HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE

GOD drat IT.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

AFewBricksShy posted:

I didn't see an active thread, and I searched this thread for any mentions and didn't see anything, so sorry if I'm just retreading a conversation.

Mr. Inbetween is way better than I thought it would be. The only person I recognize in it is Damon Herriman, who was Dewey Crowe from Justified. The main character, Scott Ryan, is pretty loving amazing. He kind of looks like Dave Foley's ex con brother.
The episodes are only 30 minutes, which is perfect.
I initially dismissed it as just a lovely "Sons of Anarchy" type show, but I'm quite glad I gave it a chance.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3870445

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Oh man, if that's the series ending cliffhanger of Wrecked I'm gonna flip. Also, yes to guy who said Get Shorty owned like a page ago. I'm not even halfway through first season

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh man, if that's the series ending cliffhanger of Wrecked I'm gonna flip. Also, yes to guy who said Get Shorty owned like a page ago. I'm not even halfway through first season

i can't believe wrecked has lasted this long seeing as seemingly no one is watching it but i agree i don't want it to end there, show is so loving good

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

I said if you watch 12 Monkeys YOU'LL HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE

GOD drat IT.

Is it streaming anywhere?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Medullah posted:

Is it streaming anywhere?

Seasons 1-3 are on Hulu. 4th is probably dropping soonish.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Luvcow posted:

i can't believe wrecked has lasted this long seeing as seemingly no one is watching it but i agree i don't want it to end there, show is so loving good

Is the chick from Future Man still in it? I only remember watching the first episode.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rhyno posted:

4th is probably dropping soonish.

Probably not soon-ish. The contract seems to be ~1 year after airdate. So, I wouldn't expect season 4 on Hulu until about July or August 2019.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Rocksicles posted:

Is the chick from Future Man still in it? I only remember watching the first episode.

had to look future man up and all i could see was eliza coupe who was only on for 2 episodes of the first season of wrecked

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bull3964 posted:

Probably not soon-ish. The contract seems to be ~1 year after airdate. So, I wouldn't expect season 4 on Hulu until about July or August 2019.

That's stupid.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Luvcow posted:

had to look future man up and all i could see was eliza coupe who was only on for 2 episodes of the first season of wrecked

Why haven't you seen Future Man, dude?

You best unfuck yourself.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Rocksicles posted:

Why haven't you seen Future Man, dude?

You best unfuck yourself.

whats it on? never even heard of it before now

:ohdear:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Luvcow posted:

whats it on? never even heard of it before now

:ohdear:

Hulu. Just give it a chance (it gets better as it goes). Best new comedy of 2017.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/NYTmag/status/1047506819449597953

I found this thought provoking. It's long, but worth the read.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

nate fisher posted:

Hulu. Just give it a chance (it gets better as it goes). Best new comedy of 2017.

It's pure genius by the 12 min mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
New Sabrina trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybKUX6thF8Q

And also Netflix are doing Narnia as movies/series whatever:

https://deadline.com/2018/10/netflix-the-chronicles-of-narnia-tv-series-and-films-eone-1202475272/