Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
What paint stripper did you get, and would you do the same thing again? I have to do that to my old celica as well.
It looks like it did a pretty good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I need to do that to my AE86, as well, since the P.O. spray bombed it aqua, of all things, over the original blue-silver.
I’m really trying to not become attached to this thing, as I have a ‘70 Cutlass and the ‘79 RX-7 as my classic project cars already, but it’s really surprising how much like a first gen RX-7 it is underneath. I suppose you could reason that those cover “muscle” and “sportscar”, so the Corolla could cover, I don’t know, “‘80s shitbox”? Follow up with a pickup and a wagon, and I’m good, right? (Hatchback and sedan are covered by the daily drivers.)

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

blindjoe posted:

What paint stripper did you get, and would you do the same thing again? I have to do that to my old celica as well.
It looks like it did a pretty good job.

Aircraft Paint stripper. It's taken several coats, but is worth it IMO compared to sanding through 4 layers of paint.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I don’t even like dorito engines but this thread always delivers can not wait to see this Celica

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

the spyder posted:

Aircraft Paint stripper. It's taken several coats, but is worth it IMO compared to sanding through 4 layers of paint.

This stuff is awesome, but dear god don't let it touch your skin.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

the spyder posted:

This.

Suburban Dad posted:

This stuff is awesome, but dear god don't let it touch your skin.

But that, too. Long dishwashing gloves are your friend.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
So far stripping paint is boring. I'm 80% done for now. Next up is rust repair.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That’s the part I fear and loathe, but is also so satisfying when done. I’ve got a couple chunks to remove in my SA22C. One is going to require drilling spot welds out to remove a unibody piece to get to (inner cowl by the fresh air intake for the HVAC. No idea why it rusted up there.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Well, work life has caught up with me. Didn't take long, but I mostly expected it. I've made good progress on the Celica, broken my white FD, serviced our E46 wagon, worked on a super rare FD, and cleaned. The z is away for winter and 22 yards of gravel have now been put down. Like I said, busy. So for now enjoy the picture dump.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Do you jump on that bike and ride it back and forth like a swing?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

the spyder posted:

worked on a super rare FD

One that runs? :v:

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Sanity check from the only person I know with 3 rotors... for an NA peripheral port 3 rotor am I better off with one of the short crank 3 rotor kits, or filling the intake ports of an irreplaceable 20B center iron with epoxy?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Darchangel posted:

One that runs? :v:

Yes.

Reality: 1 of 33 made in 1995.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

the spyder posted:

Yes.

Reality: 1 of 33 made in 1995.

Oh, now I need to know.
Let's see. Only 500 '95 FDs in the US, though you didn't specify USDM. Assumed.

Oh, hey, there was only one RX-7 sold in Perlie (white) in '94. That's interesting, if irrelevant.
CYM was '93 only.

Only 57 R2s in '95. Close, but not quite.

Aha! '95 Chaste White 5-speed PEP. I like the white ones.
Interesting that there are more Montego Blue '95s than any other color, even red.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Darchangel posted:

Oh, now I need to know.
Let's see. Only 500 '95 FDs in the US, though you didn't specify USDM. Assumed.

Oh, hey, there was only one RX-7 sold in Perlie (white) in '94. That's interesting, if irrelevant.
CYM was '93 only.

Only 57 R2s in '95. Close, but not quite.

Aha! '95 Chaste White 5-speed PEP. I like the white ones.
Interesting that there are more Montego Blue '95s than any other color, even red.

It was the right call, montego blue is the best drat blue that's ever been on a production car.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone have a source on some FD door speaker grills? I lost one of mine and I found out that these are discontinued. I'll buy a pair, color doesn't matter.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Which side? I might have one. Or 5.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Another update:
I'm swamped with work and family stuff. Not a lot has been going on out in the shop. I did a bunch of cleaning with a few friends. It's been nothing but weekend after weekend of leaf pickup.

New family car for the wife.

Three out of four plugs were shorted.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 1, 2018

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Would it be a good investment to buy a bunch of car covers? Or do you just enjoy getting a boner every time you walk through your property?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I prefer to trip over my self-inflicted boner.

In reality, I need a fence.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Well, I'm restarting the 20b project. I just wrapped up a project with a manufacture and part of the deal was a fuel system for the FD. I'll update once I get the parts in. I've also been getting rid of all my spare stuff to afford the ~15k in parts I need to get the car running. In the mean time I acquired a few new tools to help with the project. Photos later when it's not freezing out.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm going to try something different. I really want to get this 93 R1 done and back to the owner. I've had this far too long and I have nearly everything on hand to wrap it up. I figure you guys can help keep me on track (HA!) This week I've been putting a few hours in each night. Here's this weeks progress.

With the majority of the accessories installed I started working on the intercooler/v-mount setup. It's a used Knightsport setup from Japan and it is overall a very nicely made kit. The aftermarket low intake manifold causes everything to move an inch back so I had to re-do some of the intercooler piping. I also had to remake a plate for the new Greddy BOV. I decided I wanted to clean up all of the brackets and piping, which turned into hours of media blasting. The PO of this kit apparently filled and painted the piping. Each to their own. I'm pretty happy with the outcome, the powder coating turned out pretty good for my third time trying it. Next up I need to work on the coil pack bracket and some wiring cleanup.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 7, 2019

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

That's some drat nice work.

So did you go hard or soft?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I need a bandsaw.

... and a TIG, and a powder-coating kit, and an oven for that, and a bead roller, and a tubing bender, and, and, and, and...

And then a lot of practice. That's some nice work.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Thanks!

Last nights progress. I'm taking tonight off.

I'd say I'm 75% done.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Tonight I mocked up the coil pack bracket. It's 304 stainless because reasons?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I'm not a welder and I'm not saying you did it wrong, I'm just curious: Doesn't stainless steel need an inert atmosphere to be welded? I've seen people plumb argon into a SS header they were welding together to keep the inside in an inert atmosphere. Is it just a small enough joint here that it's not a problem?

Also, "because reasons" is the best justification for any hobby project.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
What you are describing is common for header or pipe fabrication where the oxidation also known as sugaring, is unacceptable. Stainless otherwise is commonly welded “open atmosphere”. The gas lens (pink) I’m using is designed for higher flow and the post-gas flow is 10seconds. This floods the weld with argon and the post flow keeps it covered until the weld puddle cools.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

the spyder posted:

What you are describing is common for header or pipe fabrication where the oxidation also known as sugaring, is unacceptable. Stainless otherwise is commonly welded “open atmosphere”. The gas lens (pink) I’m using is designed for higher flow and the post-gas flow is 10seconds. This floods the weld with argon and the post flow keeps it covered until the weld puddle cools.

Alright, so the shape and size of the joint negate the need for something fancy, and allow you to up your gas flow so the immediate area around the weld is an inert atmosphere.

The specific example I was thinking of (the exhaust header), he filled the tubes with argon, since the gas wouldn't otherwise get there from the torch.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
The big thing is that if you don't backpurge exhaust tubing, when it gets hot the places near the heat affected zone experience cracking because of the temperatures affecting the oxidized areas.

A bracket for ignition coils shouldn't b e subjected to the same temperatures.

Also yeah, as long as you're not welding stuff that'll be closed, the shielding gas from the torch will often shield both sides enough.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Last night was a bust, so tonight i wrapped up the coil pack bracket and a handful of little details. I've still got some powder coating to do tomorrow night.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Work kicked my rear end today, so I only had time to make this quick fuel pressure sensor harness.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Busy day, so again I went looking for something simple to do tonight with the little time I had. Decided sway bar mounts would fit the bill, only to be proven terribly wrong. No idea who Mazdatrix's third party fab service is, but they screwed these up something awful. Either that or their jig is hosed. Not even close to fitting the stock swayer. Thankfully I have a TIG. 5-6 degrees on both sides when they should be 0...

the spyder fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 13, 2019

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.
Wow, those were significantly out. Good work fixing them, are you going to let Mazdatrix know how bad their jig is out?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

the spyder posted:

Which side? I might have one. Or 5.

Whoops. I actually found it. Tucked under the seat.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Sgt Fox posted:

Wow, those were significantly out. Good work fixing them, are you going to let Mazdatrix know how bad their jig is out?

Emailed them tonight. It's a long story, but they shipped me a set direct from the 3rd party due to them being out of stock.

Unrelated- I have the same sentiment about wondering if people still read my thread :shrug:

the spyder fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 14, 2019

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Spent the day outside in the unseasonably warm weather. Decided I would quickly powder coat those mounts.

Only ~30 things left to do!

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

the spyder posted:

Unrelated- I have the same sentiment about wondering if people still read my thread :shrug:
I read this thread but just posting 'dope' after every update just seems like noise so I don't.

Nothing But Hate
Oct 7, 2006
When night falls, she covers the world, in impenetrable darkness

the spyder posted:

Im not sure if I’ve posted in here but I’ve been following the thread for years.

Its one of the main threads I look forward to updates in and probably has the best quality to quantity of updates ratio of any of my bookmarked threads.

So uhh thanks for the entertainment and please keep posting (until you don’t want to anymore).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

the spyder posted:

We are, but Galler and Nothing But Hate sum it up better than I can.

You do awesome work, and I'll kick anybody that disagrees in the nads. :v: