Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Xerxes17 posted:

Yeah that was more Beria's style.

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If Putin slipped in the shower and broke his neck, the world would be a demonstrably better place the millisecond after he suffered brain death.

If Putin and Trump were having gay sex in the shower and both fell and broke their necks the world would be orders of magnitude better.

Or, not. I'm sure there are groups who would spin that into, "Secret gay cabal ruling the world! We have obviously not gone far enough right!!!"

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Murgos posted:

If Putin and Trump were having gay sex in the shower and both fell and broke their necks the world would be orders of magnitude better.

Or, not. I'm sure there are groups who would spin that into, "Secret gay cabal ruling the world! We have obviously not gone far enough right!!!"
Mike Pence would channel the ghost of Thomas Power and nuke 'em while they're down.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

If there's one thing Russia really does not need, it's more shock therapy.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

hailthefish posted:

They should probably look into getting some sort of therapy tho

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I mean Putin is a massive dickhole and hugely problematic in more ways than math has figured out how to count but you’re loving delusional if “Russia does 1990 again but worse” sounds like anything other than a nightmare.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Yeah so much of the country is warped around him it would probably be real ugly. Which is kind of an ongoing issue because nothing about him says one day he will go “boy I better give up power gracefully so Russia doesn’t implode if I just die”.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Russia should be considered part of the middle east since The Fundamental Theorem of Mideast Politics is clearly in play, namely, "The next guy is always worse"

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Xerxes17 posted:

Had there been any, he'd have raped them and buried them outside his office.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

hailthefish posted:

*slaps map of Russia* you can fit a whole lot of disaster capitalism in this baby

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Alaan posted:

Yeah so much of the country is warped around him it would probably be real ugly. Which is kind of an ongoing issue because nothing about him says one day he will go “boy I better give up power gracefully so Russia doesn’t implode if I just die”.

He's in his mid-60s and from what I can tell, at least in reasonably good health. There's nothing stopping him from setting up a line of succession in a few years, but there is also nothing indicating he's even thought about it. Who knows.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

He’s probably in good health but that’s the range where occasionally you just keel over from a stroke or something.

Or the security web misses something and he gets bombed or shot or something.

All pointless speculation though since any public declaration of his plans is basically declaring himself the dictator without any illusions to democracy still being in action.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Xerxes17 posted:

If by singing you mean chained to a wall, screaming to be left alone then yes!

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Shooting Blanks posted:

He's in his mid-60s and from what I can tell, at least in reasonably good health. There's nothing stopping him from setting up a line of succession in a few years, but there is also nothing indicating he's even thought about it. Who knows.

If you don't think that there's a lab full Cybernetically Enhanced Putin Clones hidden away in the depths of Siberia then you're just naive. *Six Million Dollar Man noise*

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Shooting Blanks posted:

Setting up a line of succession would be some sort of law, and that's against the grain in a regime that wants power relations doing everything

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Just watched a bio on Beria, come here, and it's perfect in every way.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Tias posted:

Had there been any, he'd have raped them and buried them outside his office.

Hey now, occasionally he, if they promised not to tell, let them off at the side of the road with some flowers and then a day or two later, after people had seen them alive, they would disappear.

Although that may have just been earlier in his career.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Setting up a line of succession would be some sort of law, and that's against the grain in a regime that wants power relations doing everything
Yeah, Putin seems headed for something more in line with Alexander's death bed decree or the Roman model.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Yeah, Putin seems headed for something more in line with Alexander's death bed decree or the Roman model.

It's like the end of Pilgrim's Progress. "My country I leave to to him that can get it."

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Re: Putin succession, I think Shoygu could step up in a pinch if there’s some kind of leadership crisis. Probs as no more than as a transitional figure, but the dude’s a known face and has a pretty useful powerbase.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Should've started thinking about this sooner unless he wants to end up like Augustus

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MikeCrotch posted:

Should've started thinking about this sooner unless he wants to end up like Augustus

Revered for a couple thousand years?

Edit: I glossed over too much of the conversation to figure out that you meant "having his choice heirs picked off and probably getting murdered himself."

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 4, 2018

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

We've discussed ITT how LockMart, et. al using US sourced components (or a fully controlled supply chain) is a major cost driver, but why it's still important. Looks like the private sector (along with some number of other federal agencies) is now finding that out the hard way:

The Big Hack: How China Used a Tiny Chip to Infiltrate U.S. Companies

quote:

In 2015, Amazon.com Inc. began quietly evaluating a startup called Elemental Technologies, a potential acquisition to help with a major expansion of its streaming video service, known today as Amazon Prime Video...To help with due diligence, AWS, which was overseeing the prospective acquisition, hired a third-party company to scrutinize Elemental’s security, according to one person familiar with the process. The first pass uncovered troubling issues, prompting AWS to take a closer look at Elemental’s main product: the expensive servers that customers installed in their networks to handle the video compression. These servers were assembled for Elemental by Super Micro Computer Inc., a San Jose-based company (commonly known as Supermicro) that’s also one of the world’s biggest suppliers of server motherboards, the fiberglass-mounted clusters of chips and capacitors that act as the neurons of data centers large and small.

Nested on the servers’ motherboards, the testers found a tiny microchip, not much bigger than a grain of rice, that wasn’t part of the boards’ original design. Amazon reported the discovery to U.S. authorities, sending a shudder through the intelligence community. Elemental’s servers could be found in Department of Defense data centers, the CIA’s drone operations, and the onboard networks of Navy warships. And Elemental was just one of hundreds of Supermicro customers.

During the ensuing top-secret probe, which remains open more than three years later, investigators determined that the chips allowed the attackers to create a stealth doorway into any network that included the altered machines. Multiple people familiar with the matter say investigators found that the chips had been inserted at factories run by manufacturing subcontractors in China.

Today, Supermicro sells more server motherboards than almost anyone else. It also dominates the $1 billion market for boards used in special-purpose computers, from MRI machines to weapons systems. Its motherboards can be found in made-to-order server setups at banks, hedge funds, cloud computing providers, and web-hosting services, among other places.

U.S. officials had caught China experimenting with hardware tampering before, but they’d never seen anything of this scale and ambition. The security of the global technology supply chain had been compromised, even if consumers and most companies didn’t know it yet.

Over the decades, the security of the supply chain became an article of faith despite repeated warnings by Western officials. A belief formed that China was unlikely to jeopardize its position as workshop to the world by letting its spies meddle in its factories. That left the decision about where to build commercial systems resting largely on where capacity was greatest and cheapest. “You end up with a classic Satan’s bargain,” one former U.S. official says. “You can have less supply than you want and guarantee it’s secure, or you can have the supply you need, but there will be risk. Every organization has accepted the second proposition.”

In the three years since the briefing in McLean, no commercially viable way to detect attacks like the one on Supermicro’s motherboards has emerged—or has looked likely to emerge. Few companies have the resources of Apple and Amazon, and it took some luck even for them to spot the problem. “This stuff is at the cutting edge of the cutting edge, and there is no easy technological solution,” one of the people present in McLean says. “You have to invest in things that the world wants. You cannot invest in things that the world is not ready to accept yet.”

The whole article is worth reading, I cut a lot of the filler but the short version is that the PLA infiltrated subcontractors at the largest motherboard manufacturer in the world and put custom, hardware based back doors onto some number of end user systems. It seems like the investigation is ongoing and I'm sure there is a ton of information being left out but drat. The potential ramifications here are pretty staggering.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Not surprised, tbh. The flip side is the other large server makers (hp, dell, etc) make their motherboards in china too so who knows how compromised they are.

A device that size wouldn’t have much smarts but it could be something like a kill switch for the server or something hooked into the board management controller. It seems unlikely it would have the power (or pins) for actual snooping on data.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

priznat posted:

Not surprised, tbh. The flip side is the other large server makers (hp, dell, etc) make their motherboards in china too so who knows how compromised they are.

A device that size wouldn’t have much smarts but it could be something like a kill switch for the server or something hooked into the board management controller. It seems unlikely it would have the power (or pins) for actual snooping on data.

It just needs to be able to make very small firmware changes to allow greater access. It could do that.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

It just needs to be able to make very small firmware changes to allow greater access. It could do that.

It’s an interesting hack. What are the interfaces into it? Does it tap off directly from ethernet *mii lines? How does it connect to the bios flash? With secureboot the boot would fail if the bios code is compromised. Once a more technical minded publication digs into it we may know more.

The data centre networks are pretty rigidly controlled so the biggest issue would be getting external commands to it/extracting data from it. Perhaps it was meant to work in conjunction with huawei switches which are almost assuredly compromised. In that case an IPMI backdoor becomes a real possibility with that device. Anyone putting wholly chinese designed and manufactured tech in their datacentre is definitely askin for it..

movax
Aug 30, 2008

priznat posted:

It’s an interesting hack. What are the interfaces into it? Does it tap off directly from ethernet *mii lines? How does it connect to the bios flash? With secureboot the boot would fail if the bios code is compromised. Once a more technical minded publication digs into it we may know more.

The data centre networks are pretty rigidly controlled so the biggest issue would be getting external commands to it/extracting data from it. Perhaps it was meant to work in conjunction with huawei switches which are almost assuredly compromised. In that case an IPMI backdoor becomes a real possibility with that device. Anyone putting wholly chinese designed and manufactured tech in their datacentre is definitely askin for it..

Not that a mobo has one, but something like a FT232 that’s a big SOIC or QFN has a lot of space inside to add on an extra die. That’s nearly undetectable unless you are CT scanning the parts.

Interfaces I would guess, Ethernet like you said (though the signal integrity of attacking a RGMII or SGMII link seems tricky), perhaps something sitting on LPC or the BIOS SPI lines. I assume they didn’t refab a whole new PCB...

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Hmm actually they claim “Signal conditioning couplers” which really isn’t an actual thing, at least not by that term. And being difficult to detect via X-Ray, it would likely have to be chip-scale and have no bond wires whatsoever. Dropping something into a 3216 capacitor (maybe a X2Y to explain extra pins) would be nearly indistinguishable. I guess the vulnerable traces were on the surface of the PCB.

If you used a 22ohm resistor pack / array on the SPI lines as series termination for 50ohm single-ended signaling, that would be a logical place to put “something”, but I don’t how that gets to the outside world unless it’s point was to inject rogue code for the other system elements to be compromised, kind of like an old PS2 modchip. Don’t those server mobos from Supermicro also have big Port 80/LPC headers?

Maybe pictures will appear at some point.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I bet it it was in conjunction with something else on the board, the BMC being an obvious point. A lot of those are their own pcb modules, so they wouldn’t even need to have extra mods on the motherboard just get into those boards. They can expose a lot of stuff that way, but still getting data out would be very hard.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Shooting Blanks posted:

We've discussed ITT how LockMart, et. al using US sourced components (or a fully controlled supply chain) is a major cost driver, but why it's still important. Looks like the private sector (along with some number of other federal agencies) is now finding that out the hard way:

The Big Hack: How China Used a Tiny Chip to Infiltrate U.S. Companies

The whole article is worth reading, I cut a lot of the filler but the short version is that the PLA infiltrated subcontractors at the largest motherboard manufacturer in the world and put custom, hardware based back doors onto some number of end user systems. It seems like the investigation is ongoing and I'm sure there is a ton of information being left out but drat. The potential ramifications here are pretty staggering.

:byodood: BUT WE'RE TRADE PARTNERS :byodood:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

The plot thickens - Amazon, Apple, and Supermicro are all refuting the report.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/04/chi...eek-report.html

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I’m glad I was too lazy to talk about the digital Chinese menace to anyone

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

The plot thickens - Amazon, Apple, and Supermicro are all refuting the report.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/04/chi...eek-report.html

Of course they are; it's a massive slam to reputation and people will ask questions on how long their data was running on a compromised server / workstation.

I want to see the versions of this post / this forum / discussion on the Chinese side about how US companies do this. The funny thing to me about all of this is people screaming to high heaven about HUAWEI BACKDOORZ and using a series of Qualcomm, Broadcom, Xilinx, etc. and other companies' hardware to transmit their thoughts. Of course, those good companies would never do something like that. A Broadcom Trident 3 (massive Ethernet switch ASIC found in core/trunk routers) probably has 2-3 billion transistors in it. There is no way the pressure to get to market compromised the security and auditing of that device, no sir.

DoD has been freaked out about this for awhile now. They've spun up some new trusted ASIC / FPGA programs to ensure that the PA3s/other FPGA or ASICs that are going into our weapons systems have a verified design flow from start to finish. Their fears range from technically possible / practically impossible modifying semiconductor masks to add back doors to more reasonable threats like modifying the RTL at an off-shore design center to insert backdoors. Of course, they haven't held anyone accountable for sloppy test implementations where a test engineer (often the dumping ground for 'meh' engineers) adds a backdoor "just for test" but never once thinks about it as a backdoor or potential security risk — security through obscurity. I think the Google term if you want to find slides is "DoD Trusted FPGA Assurance" or "DoD Microelectronics Assurance". It includes the effort to prevent counterfeit chips that the media loves talking about, but has much more going on as well.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I won’t jump hard on either side but out of that Apple has a a pretty easy to verify claim about how many of those servers they have and what those servers did. If the story can’t get that right it definitely raises questions about the overall accuracy of the piece.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

I'd deny it right now, true or not.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah that’s a paddlin, hot drat. My parent co makes stuff that is probably used in a lot of supermicro servers and is down over 5% today so far.

Not that it matters since our black out periods SUCK as I just found out (sept 18-november :wtc:)

Still I am having difficulty believing the PRC could get much of anything going in an IC that small. They are not cutting edge, they wait until western companies make something then reverse engineer it for domestic consumption, rinse and repeat.

I am still salty at those Huawei/PLA fucks for essentially killing the crown jewel in canadian tech companies Nortel (along with horribly lovely management, but espionage played a major part).

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

priznat posted:

Listen, no hardware manufacturer specializing in high-end servers would do this, because if it came out they'd be ruined in the marketplace. It just wouldn't be rational.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
I'm really skeptical of the story as-is. There are a number of aspects that Bloomberg gets wrong or at least incomplete, and in ways that go beyond trying to write for a non-technical audience.

It's entirely possible they accurately represented what they were told by their sources. But frankly just because someone's a "senior intelligence official" doesn't mean they have the expertise to accurately describe something this technical, and the details matter enough that getting them a little off can have a big impact on the conclusions.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah, the more I think about it the more skeptical I get too. You have Bloomberg reporting and both Amazon and Apple issuing strong denials so someone is incorrect/lying.

Sucks for supermicro shareholders though, woof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
What kind of domestic capability does NATO have for motherboards and other computer parts in the event of the big whistle? ”A NATO member” and ”computer parts maker” feels like a non-existing Venn.