Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Tom Guycot posted:

3) by the time time travel is created, no one cares about the hitler question, much like no one ever proposes using a time machine to kill baby Genghis kahn or something.

There's a third caveman now and we have theories that two of them are going to gang up on the other!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sash! posted:

Two ideas:

1) "leave Hitler in power" is potentially the best case scenario
2) time travel depends on a timeline with Hitler

I've seen at least one setting with the premise is that our timeline with Hitler is what happened when someone went back in time and assassinated a fascist leader who would have turned a major nation into a tyrannical power and embark on a mission of racial genocide, kicking off WW2 in the process. In place of that timeline with that leader, we got Hitler instead who was even worse. So the time cops set up a strict "No killing Hitler" rule because they're afraid that might lead to someone even worse.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
No, killing Hilter!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“No killing, Hitler!”

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
“Hitler, cupboard! Now!”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajRRbnerug8

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

No killing Hitler? No! Killing Hitler!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
The Aryan in the Cupboard

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

The Aryan in the Cupboard

:eyepop:

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Re: Going back in time and stopping Hitler.

Instead of killing baby Hitler you could:

A) Set up a fund so Hitler can go to art school instead of politics, potentially preventing WWII.

B) Go back and stop the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, thus potentially preventing WWI & WWII

C) Go back further and convince Napoleon III not to take the bait offered by Bismark's Ems telegram, thus preventing the Franco-Prussian War, WWI, & WWII

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

No art fund would help Dolfy go to art school. Even the Viennese School of Fine Arts had standards. Obviously.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Go back in time a few million years and blow up the sun and you prevent every human death that's ever happened!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

CPColin posted:

Go back in time a few million years and blow up the sun and you prevent every human death that's ever happened!

Actually the ultimate stage of development for any intelligent life-form is putting themselves retroactively out of their misery. There's actually been millions of intelligent races in the galaxy. Well, would have been. Or, I guess would never have been. Who knows?? Who cares.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Not to suggest that it outweighs the human lives potentially saved, but wouldn’t preventing WW1 & WW2 stall the invention of hundreds of technological and mechanical advancements?

That’s how you end up with a hideous diesel/steampunk civilization, people.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Not to suggest that it outweighs the human lives potentially saved, but wouldn’t preventing WW1 & WW2 stall the invention of hundreds of technological and mechanical advancements?

You realize for a lot of people this would be a feature, not a bug, right?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
If replicators exist I can't understand why there's any storage areas on the ship whatsoever since the engines run all the time shouldn't everything else be batteries constantly being charged and a bunch of replicators you could use innovative gravity plating techniques to wrap The Battery in crew quarters and still make your ship look like a swan and it seems dangerous but you can always but loads of your The Battery energy to the shield plus who wants to live without The Battery anyway

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You have to put the crew on the outside so if someone fires on the ship they die

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Picard: how many casualties?

Data: (beep beep) none sir

Picard: [exhales thru nose]

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The engines don't run all the time. Sometimes they're put on idle so they can troubleshoot the haunted plasma injectors which Beverly also wants to sleep with.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The_Other posted:

Re: Going back in time and stopping Hitler.

Instead of killing baby Hitler you could:

A) Set up a fund so Hitler can go to art school instead of politics, potentially preventing WWII.

B) Go back and stop the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, thus potentially preventing WWI & WWII

C) Go back further and convince Napoleon III not to take the bait offered by Bismark's Ems telegram, thus preventing the Franco-Prussian War, WWI, & WWII
I'm an amateur historian at best but my understanding is that there almost certainly would have been a great European war in the first half of the 20th century just due to all the poo poo laying around but there's no reason, for instance, why it had to go the way it did. It is not a major historical stretch of the imagination to imagine Russian not going full :ussr: while Germany does. Now there's an AU for you.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Probably to a certain extent, but you'd also have more people alive and with more time to spend on other affairs, whatever those might be. It's essentially unknowable. I mean, technological progress rules, but what if I told you that the best way to clear the board for a renaissance of new technologies and better social relations was to kill one-third of the population through dispassionate random plague-borne chance?

And yet, based on historical evidence, that's what worked.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Europe was jonesing for war and it was going to happen.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Well, yeah, did you see the way Europe was dressed?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
it might be fun to go back in time and stop the soviet union from ending

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Re: Thread title

That sure was good when Greatest Gen said it.

CC: Every post by Al Borland Corpse

tigersklaw
May 8, 2008
I just finished watching TNG “The Minds Eye”, and I’m thinking, what is even the point of the Neutral Zone? The Romulans seemingly violate it everyday. And not just them entering the Zone, but blowing thru it and loving around in federation space. Like Geordi is flying to Risa and he gets abducted by a decloaked Bird of Prey, which would be like Russia sending a battleship up the Mississippi to kidnap fishing boats or something. The federation never does poo poo, or is never shown to do poo poo about this. I understand space is big etc, but why would anybody take you seriously if the treaties you sign are functionally worthless? Or is this just another example of the federation being the only ones who follow the rules (section 31 aside)?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Zesty posted:

Re: Thread title

That sure was good when Greatest Gen said it.

CC: Every post by Al Borland Corpse

I mean he did tell us it came from there if that's what troubles ye friend

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yes, I said don't give me any credit

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I never do chum

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Theory: everything in Bajor is so beige because they just see a different color spectrum than Humons so it looks totally different

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

That would be kind of fun. They walk into some setting with a blacklight in it and suddenly Kira's wearing a glowing, shifting leopard print. Everyone looks at her and she's brushing at her shirt like what, is there a bug on me?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Feds know the Romulans cheat but "doing something about it" means a massive interstellar war

They'd fight an individual shop if they found it on their side, the Romulan government would disavow the Captain, rinse and repeat

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Some Neutral Zone observations:

The treaty does not seem to be very equal. The Federation always maintains outposts within it, but there is no sign of any comparable Romulan outpost. If a Romulan base were established in the NZ, this would be considered tantamount to mobilization for war (there’s a TNG episode about this — iirc the base turns out to be a fake and the point was to get the Enterprise in the NZ to start a war)

The Feds clearly do not blindly trust the Romulans not to violate the NZ, or they wouldn’t always have someone patrolling it.

The Feds violate the NZ themselves, sometimes very flagrantly (“The Enterprise Incident” is probably the worst case of this), and sometimes with much more subtle interference in Romulan interests, like that time a highly decorated retired Starfleet officer and Federation dignitary traveled to Romulus with the express but “unauthorized” intent to end Romulan sovereignty.

Neither the Federation nor the Romulans, despite their obvious hostility to one another, has any appetite or indeed justification for a major war. Neither side is portrayed as having an expansionistic grand strategy and both seem broadly content to be left alone by the other. Despite this, neither side has any apparent appetite for peace: the Romulans at least consider peaceniks to be dangerous radicals — not without reason since at least one (Pardek from Unification) thinks abolishing Romulan Empire and getting back together with Vulcan is the way to go.

Conclusion: you might as well ask why the Iron Curtain existed, since people kept going around it and all. The point of the NZ isn’t to act as a perfect deterrent, and both sides tacitly accept that the letter of the treaty isn’t being upheld, but both also accept that the spirit of it — that is, not having a general war between Earth and Romulus again — is worth trading barbs here and there to maintain.

skasion fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 3, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Federation neutral zone outposts are on the Federation border of the Neutral Zone. They don't have any actually inside it.

I think the Enterprise Incident is the only time the Federation just straight-up violates the zone without provocation. The Romulans seem to do it constantly, though.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 3, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They didn’t read the treaty, they just thought that’s where you have to wear pure greys. They are constantly offended that the federation officers engage emblazoned with bright primary colors at the border of the Neutrals Zone

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Romulus had a carpet surplus and the fashion minister put it to good use

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
At the liquidation of Joanne Fabrics in 2085, the CEO ordered all quilt backing to be launched directly into space.... where it landed, no one can say.......

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I spent a good chunk of the episode I was watching last night trying to figure out if Sisko really was wearing a carpet as a vest this time, I'm pretty sure I saw individual fibers.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I love that DS9 somewhat, and Enterprise in particular, really hammered home the fact that the only difference between Vulcans and Romulans is that Vulcans say "no emotions, ever" but Romulans say "some emotions, sometimes." Vulcans are just as conniving, manipulative, xenophobic, and egotistically 'superior' as Romulans. They just pretend otherwise.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Speaking of, here's where I'm finally caught up to:

Visionary I liked how they acknowledged that none of the time travel made sense. Boy these O'Brien must suffer episodes are getting abstract.
Distant Voices But not as abstract as this. I don't know if these kinds of episodes can really stand with Bashir as the lead.
Through the Looking Glass It was okay but Mirror Kira is getting really grating. I don't want there to be another but I know there's going to be another.
Improbable Cause/The Die is Cast Ah okay good, some good episodes! Man, that Odo makeup was insane and Rene Auberjonois really sold it. Also good as a setup to bring two interesting but unaffiliated characters together.
Explorers Oh my god

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Other DS9 writing credits from Hilary J. Bader, writer of "Explorers":

-The one where they go to the moon where everyone who dies is resurrected then ditch the Bajoran pope there
-The one where the lady Ferengi pretends to be a man
-The one where Jadzia decides she's going to run away with an extremely dull dimension hopping dude because he too wears facepaint, but then she doesn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I do really like Garrak kinda being like 'really dude' to Bashir's 'Oh no I'm 30 now!'