Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

did you somehow trigger the clean install?

not like, intentionally, but what you're describing is the "don't save my apps or settings" install option

not that i would know if, regular update process through the windows update panel. i had some user agent services problem earlier, but i don’t know how this would relate to that yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i mean im curious to double check this on home computer but in a state like this it’d kill a few hours of my evening

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

lmao holy mushroomoly is this for real???

bill, you've done it again!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sea of thieves worked fine on my pc.

unfortunately.

but at least i didn't pay for it

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
For me, it only reset a few settings. Like autoplay, Defender and other odds and ends. Sound settings and language options remained untouched, for once!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

idk, i thought it was common knowledge that windows 10 loses your settings on updates? its been like that since the first big update

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

it also doesn’t exactly make sense for this to be a clean install since the 3rd party security stuff and browser utilities started up correctly. also, plenty of applications i checked had their settings and application data intact, just not chrome. also, they were properly registered in start menu and poo poo

also the account services problem did persist through update

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 3, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Last Chance posted:

idk, i thought it was common knowledge that windows 10 loses your settings on updates? its been like that since the first big update

nah, it usually is at most a few settings, ive made similar post-update rants here before

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lambert posted:

For me, it only reset a few settings. Like autoplay, Defender and other odds and ends. Sound settings and language options remained untouched, for once!

hm. i can bite the bullet at home i guess, i just need to remember to export bookmarks for precaution

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

also the account services problem did persist through update

also some settings are distinctly mine

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i installed the latest update just earlier and apart from taking a comical amount of time to actually install (better part of an hour for the pre-reboot background installation and then a good 15 minutes post-reboot) it's more of the same really. the usual settings got nuked (only one i remember is scheduled defrag config) and my intel NIC teaming completely broke but that always happens and usually gets fixed when intel release new software (i'm sure the blame is split 50-50 between microsoft and those shiftless fucks at intel for the debacle that is teaming/VLANs with intel NICs on win10).

i kinda like the idea of your phone, being able to access my photos without mucking around would be noice but lol it's not working

oh and cinci mushroom dingus or whatever it really sounds like you hosed something up lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yeah, he upgraded windows OP

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Last Chance posted:

it does, just not usually everything and also part of your appdata folder

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i installed the latest update just earlier and apart from taking a comical amount of time to actually install (better part of an hour for the pre-reboot background installation and then a good 15 minutes post-reboot) it's more of the same really. the usual settings got nuked (only one i remember is scheduled defrag config) and my intel NIC teaming completely broke but that always happens and usually gets fixed when intel release new software (i'm sure the blame is split 50-50 between microsoft and those shiftless fucks at intel for the debacle that is teaming/VLANs with intel NICs on win10).

i kinda like the idea of your phone, being able to access my photos without mucking around would be noice but lol it's not working

oh and cinci mushroom dingus or whatever it really sounds like you hosed something up lol

yeah i pressed “update and restart” in start menu

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

it does, just not usually everything and also part of your appdata folder

as im saying, not everything. but quite some

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

sound control panel communications settings reset, audio settings in uwp menu changed, much like microphone privacy settings

decided to check this, my sound device settings came across completely unmolested.

ymmv with this update i guess

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pile Of Garbage posted:

decided to check this, my sound device settings came across completely unmolested.

ymmv with this update i guess

i mean mine had the same device selection (default/enabled) configuration, just got communciations ducked enabled again, as well as device exclusivity and sound enhancements

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

update status on work computer - started updating. it went smoothly through pre-restart routine of downloading and preliminary installation. then, i went for update and restart, where the update it failed so now it downloaded the update again and is installing it again, and the error code of 0x800f081f has literally no meaningful information available

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

am i being haunted by spirit of ballmer or something

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
more awesome office 2016 functionality removal: use vlookup in excel to refer to data on other sheet, go to other sheet to select the column range, it no longer displays the count of how many columns you are selecting so you use have to eyeball it or loving guess

way to go you loving idiots

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

update status: “undoing changes made by previous installations” :thunk:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yep, it failed another time

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

can't wait to update windows and get features like... this?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

okay now it remembered about some kb

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

gently caress you guys, i'm not interested in your pizza party. i'm too busy playing minecraft with children

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

akadajet posted:

gently caress you guys, i'm not interested in your pizza party. i'm too busy playing minecraft with children

This but sincerely

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

update status: “undoing changes made by previous installations” :thunk:

your install be broke, friend

tbf, this is pretty much identical to what will happen if you have a bunch of unsupported reghacks that break one or more component prereq checks too. not saying you do in this case, because damaged system files or corrupted install cache will also do this, but whatever. yo poo poo be broke.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

your install be broke, friend

tbf, this is pretty much identical to what will happen if you have a bunch of unsupported reghacks that break one or more component prereq checks too. not saying you do in this case, because damaged system files or corrupted install cache will also do this, but whatever. yo poo poo be broke.

don't worry, it had forgotten to install 1 kb updated that it remembered to do now, but in turn it no longer sees the feature update as accessible :laffo: also yeah no no reghacks and this is 5 months old installation on a mint computer that is not used for anything obscure

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm sure microsoft appreciates your post-release QA death run. the telemetry will be invaluable for future update releases

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

nothing changed, not after a restart either. 10/10 would update again

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

at least my bookmarks are with me :chloe:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol it sounds like someone is having an authentically digital day!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FMguru posted:

lol it sounds like someone is having an authentically digital day!

yep, this brings me back to day when 15 year old me paid $300 for a licensed copy of windows vista ultimate edition

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lmao. you are like little babby

i decided to sacrifice my laptop to see what heel the update gods would bring. turns out, despited runnin 1803 since april it's pending a reboot to install the feature update to 1803. it wasn't last month.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lmao. you are like little babby

i decided to sacrifice my laptop to see what heel the update gods would bring. turns out, despited runnin 1803 since april it's pending a reboot to install the feature update to 1803. it wasn't last month.

are you shaming me that i am not old :laffo:

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I was planning on buying my first Windows laptop in 7 years, but the last page and a half scared me away from the idea

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
but what about the dark themes???????????????

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

but what about the dark themes???????????????

more like dork theme, turn your lights on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
downloading 1809 on my work computer right now