Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i am finally upgrading my home computer, this time through update assistant it seems to actually work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

by the sounds of it the update just straight up lost your roaming user profile, which is a pretty disturbing failure

going to go through the update myself now, we'll see if i get to regret not having learned from your experience

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
installed 1809 over a clean install of 1803 with only a few things installed, everything worked okay but didnt check many settings for revertiong

still decided to flatten + reinstall because i :spergin:ly like a os with no upgrade cruft

booted from a linux thing and blkdiscard'd the disk, then booted from a 1809 windows install usb

lol that the installer still suggests the option of "Upgrade: Install Windows and keep files, settings, and applications" when the disk in the computer is completely blank, seems like it should be a pretty simple check of "except for the windows boot media, no disk in this machine even has a partition table, so maybe disable that option"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

by the sounds of it the update just straight up lost your roaming user profile, which is a pretty disturbing failure

going to go through the update myself now, we'll see if i get to regret not having learned from your experience

this makes sense, i'll check later if it was moved out somewhere or similar

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

home computer update: 1809 installed and all is well, although i had to fight down to updated assistant to get here. going to check for actual settings changes now then huh

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

okay that was just some post-update restartless thing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

this makes sense, i'll check later if it was moved out somewhere or similar

it would be in the same path, under the windows.old folder if the installer moverd it

Lysidas posted:

lol that the installer still suggests the option of "Upgrade: Install Windows and keep files, settings, and applications" when the disk in the computer is completely blank, seems like it should be a pretty simple check of "except for the windows boot media, no disk in this machine even has a partition table, so maybe disable that option"

this has been a thing since at least the vista installer, they just don't make separate text for a "don't format the drive" install.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yep, this brings me back to day when 15 year old me paid $300 for a licensed copy of windows vista ultimate edition

i appreciate that you were brave enough to disclose this powerful self-own

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

it would be in the same path, under the windows.old folder if the installer moverd it

as in from appdata to under windows.old somewhere? ill shop around tomorrow, cheers

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
mods rename this to microshaft janitoring liveblog thread

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

graph posted:

mods rename this to microshaft janitoring liveblog thread

you mean microshaft winblows 98 10 janitoring liveblog thread

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
waiting a couple of weeks before installing is well-advised. telemetry tracks the rollout and is used to figure out which drivers in the menagerie gently caress things up. probability of a bad outcome goes down significantly with a bit of time.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

as in from appdata to under windows.old somewhere? ill shop around tomorrow, cheers

yeah, windows.old will contain any items the installer moved, but in their original full paths after that, so your stuff would be in e.g. "c:\windows.old\users\james\appdata\..."

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

old settings that changed on seemingly normal upgrade (that i fought to get running for 90 minutes):

1) default non-communication playback device, its enhancements
2) lockscreen notifications
3) language bar visbility
4) autoplay defaults
5) our old friend hotpost 2.0 networks
6) remote hotpost thing
7) lock screen bg on sign-in screen
8) replace cmd with powershell on win+x
9) combine buttons on other taskbars
10) regional format
11) non-unicode program language
12) camera privacy app list
13) background apps list
14) update channel
15) dismissed warnings in defender

yeah, windows.old will contain any items the installer moved, but in their original full paths after that, so your stuff would be in e.g. "c:\windows.old\users\james\appdata\..."

got it, i had never bothered to look at that part of system before

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

so yeah this way the list of settings changes is more or less what usually happents (*cough* hotspot *cough* 2.0 *cough*)

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

just had a BSOD, gonna quote my lovely twitter because i'm lazy:

https://twitter.com/GarbageDotNet/status/1047519776795316225

haven't had a BSOD in a long time so kinda suspicious but w/e lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

oh well, i at least made it onto 1809 without incident, didn't even reset the "show recommendations" setting in this instance

well, one weirdness that recurs: the system was first setup as german, and upon an update it seems that the search results in the start menu revert to the german names for all system stuff. i suspect they "bake" an index for the update to save having to peg the cpu right after, but don't take into account the actual language setting when installing it :haw:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

just had a BSOD, gonna quote my lovely twitter because i'm lazy:

https://twitter.com/GarbageDotNet/status/1047519776795316225

haven't had a BSOD in a long time so kinda suspicious but w/e lol

your drivers suck, hth

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i know, but which ones!?!?! it's all of them isn't it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes

get urself bluescreen view and see what was in the stack.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Lysidas posted:

pretty sure that option is always there just to popup a message box going "hey numbnuts you need to run this from windows then", maybe analytics showed grey options were confusing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

1809 laptop edition. it jus twerked.

very helpfully prompted me on first run, with each setting having an entire screen to itself, to re-enable all the location, privacy, and analytics settings i had manually set before. didn't re-enable them automatically tho, just really wanted to be certain i was sure about how i had set them.

doesn't appear to have reset any of my preferences, even "show suggestions on start", and all my apps work. no defaults changed.

since this was clearly a 777 jackpot of an install, i expect my desktop will burst into flames after overwriting all my drives and nuking the backups when i end up applying 1809 there

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

classic microsoft: the login screen appears to give you the option of PIN login even though i've never enabled that, but clicking on it just brings up a message telling you to configure it in settings and prompts for a password anyway

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

cinci zoo sniper posted:

new update installed.

task bar settings reset, start menu settings reset, all windows vpn connections deleted, displaylink driver deleted by windows due to incompatibility with 1809

this is first 10 seconds, I’ll keep you guys updated

hey...

It's Free Software

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

The_Franz posted:

you mean microshaft winblows 98 10 janitoring liveblog thread

Oh please, we can go much further than that:

Mikkkey$haft loseblows

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

since this was clearly a 777 jackpot of an install

your chmoding it wrong

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

rwe all day erry day

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

three computers upgraded from 1803 via standard 1809 iso and the only things that changed were:

- autoplay use-case settings (it was still off in general)
- game bar theme
- graphics driver crap that probably happened because intel and nvidia are bad at drivers because reinstalling the graphics drivers fixed them in each case

ideally 1 and 2 wouldn't have happened but when i compare it to what happened to this thread's upgrade tales, then, uh

what the hell do you people do to computers

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i just tried to use windows update, which wrecked havoc on computer 1 and refused to work on computer 2 :shrug:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
my 1809 update worked fine. I like that they added a markup option to the win+shift+s screen snipping thing

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

classic microsoft: the login screen appears to give you the option of PIN login even though i've never enabled that, but clicking on it just brings up a message telling you to configure it in settings and prompts for a password anyway

this reminds me that i will sooner or later need to deal with user authentification services problem on work computer, since it did corrupt my pin and now i can’t change or reset it so i log in through full password, which doesn’t always work since sometimes said services don’t initialise properly on boot and i need to reboot my machine until they randomly do so

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anyways the new feature i enjoy most so far is clipboard history

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

this reminds me that i will sooner or later need to deal with user authentification services problem on work computer, since it did corrupt my pin and now i can’t change or reset it so i log in through full password, which doesn’t always work since sometimes said services don’t initialise properly on boot and i need to reboot my machine until they randomly do so

what the gently caress are you using for authentication?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

what the gently caress are you using for authentication?

stock windows :laffo: ive never even heard of "User Profile Service failed the sign-in. User Profile cannot be loaded." problem before. there's most likely something i can do about it through system repair cmd, i havent bothered to look at it yet

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you got gremlins son

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cinci zoo sniper posted:

stock windows :laffo: ive never even heard of "User Profile Service failed the sign-in. User Profile cannot be loaded." problem before. there's most likely something i can do about it through system repair cmd, i havent bothered to look at it yet
if your profile got corrupted somehow then that would explain why all your settings disappeared. seems weird you didn't mention that error message until now.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

if your profile got corrupted somehow then that would explain why all your settings disappeared. seems weird you didn't mention that error message until now.

i did mention it a few times, just not explicitly. cba to copy/paste, it’s what i meant with user profile problem persisting through the update

you got gremlins son

i believe the correct term is “kaspersky endpoint security”

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
gremlins from the kremlin

(anyone else remember that old cartoon short?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
That sounds like government propaganda.