Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
How is it not the "Seattle Freeze?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

Yea... really missed an opportunity there.

I kinda like the Sockeyes, Seattle needs a fish themed team.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Thanatosian posted:

Oh my god that would have been perfect :(

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Thanatosian posted:

This or the Kraken. Wtf is wrong with these people

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

BlueBlazer posted:

Yea... really missed an opportunity there.

I kinda like the Sockeyes, Seattle needs a fish themed team.

The soccer team is the Sounders which is obliquely whale related.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/multco/status/1047506846959849472

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Holy poo poo please don’t name them the totems

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
The totems is an awful name. I'd be fine with the sockeyes if the logo looked more like

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
That's just a Seattle Times poll. That probably won't be the final choice.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

seiferguy posted:

That's just a Seattle Times poll. That probably won't be the final choice.

The Seattle Amazons

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

It's going to be the Totems because people love appearing to support native cultural heritage without actually having to do so

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

It's going to be the Totems because people love appearing to support native cultural heritage without actually having to do so

At that point, just buy out the naming rights to the T-Birds.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I like, The Seattle gently caress the Poors. The logo could be rich white people in ivory towers throwing their literal poo poo onto the masses below.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Oscar Wild posted:

The Seattle Amazons

boo

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Oooh, The Seattle SuperSonics.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
The NIMBYs.

The Brogrammers.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

gently caress infrastructure or social service improvements, what you really need is another sports team.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

The Seatttle "fuckyou got mine."

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

ElCondemn posted:

I like, The Seattle gently caress the Poors. The logo could be rich white people in ivory towers throwing their literal poo poo onto the masses below.

Thanatosian posted:

The NIMBYs.

The Brogrammers.

I'm sorry, but someone already suggested these.

Oscar Wild posted:

The Seattle Amazons

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Shifty Nipples posted:

gently caress infrastructure or social service improvements, what you really need is another sports team.

Didn't you hear? We're in the middle of an economic boom but city government needs to make some hard choices in funding allocations

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Shifty Nipples posted:

The city has a profit-sharing deal with this team, and it's my understanding that no public money is being spent on this.

Am I mistaken? I don't really give a poo poo about hockey, but if there's going to be pro sports, this seems to be a reasonable and responsible way to do it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Solkanar512 posted:

The city has a profit-sharing deal with this team, and it's my understanding that no public money is being spent on this.

Am I mistaken? I don't really give a poo poo about hockey, but if there's going to be pro sports, this seems to be a reasonable and responsible way to do it.
Safeco Field was getting $135m but there might be a referendum on that money instead https://www.king5.com/article/sports/mlb/mariners/petition-filed-to-put-safeco-field-public-funding-measure-on-ballot/281-598921607

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The KeyArena deal ranks as "least bad" when it comes to stadium deals:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadspin.com/want-to-avoid-getting-screwed-on-arena-deals-look-to-s-1800657108/amp

Like there's still gonna be some public money and some tax fuckery, but nowhere near what the city got hosed on with Safeco and Centurylink fields.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I've heard that CenturyLink in Portland is bad.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

That's great to hear, Safeco can get hosed as far as I'm concerned. The profit sharing is pretty insane in that league so it's nuts that they don't pay their own way. Frankly, large teams should be owned municipally anyway, given the amount of support they claim to need.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

punk rebel ecks posted:

I've heard that CenturyLink in Portland is bad.

Depends where you live. CenturyLink was just fine for me until I moved a few years ago and then I could barely get service. Comcast/Xfinity works just fine where I currently live. Both are bad, one just might be a little less bad based on location.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

I live in Oregon so I don't have any idea and don't really care, but it looks bad to be like "how bout that new sports team" when there are more pressing issues to address.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

https://www.burgerville.com/security/ posted:

On August 22, 2018, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) notified Burgerville of a cybersecurity breach impacting a number of the company’s systems. The breach was perpetrated by Fin7 and was a sophisticated attack targeting companies with locations in the Pacific Northwest. Burgerville agreed to cooperate fully with the FBI investigation, and immediately began a forensic investigation of its own to determine the full extent of the breach.

On September 19, 2018, as part of its forensics investigation, Burgerville discovered that the breach, which was initially thought to be a brief intrusion, was still active. The group of hackers had placed malware on Burgerville’s network and were continuing to collect payment data. Burgerville immediately began taking steps to contain the breach and disable the malware with the help of a third-party team of cybersecurity experts and in cooperation with the FBI.

If you have used a credit or debit card at Burgerville between September 2017 and September 30, 2018,

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

WannaFry

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

https://www.combinationpizzahutandtacobell.com/security/

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'd like to hate CenturyLink but they seem better than Comcast and they were the first provider to bring fiber to Tacoma so :shrug:

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

DrNutt posted:

I'd like to hate CenturyLink but they seem better than Comcast and they were the first provider to bring fiber to Tacoma so :shrug:

What people actually hate is DSL as a technology, it's not good, CenturyLink fiber is amazing!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ElCondemn posted:

What people actually hate is DSL as a technology, it's not good, CenturyLink fiber is amazing!

Yeah it sure is. Now I want the two remaining local providers to get on the fiber train so they can drive prices down.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

What's the best internet provider in Portland?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

punk rebel ecks posted:

Library.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

Can't say it's "best" but I like the fixed point-to-point wireless providers like Stephouse or Freewire (bad name, since it's not free).

Comcast is expensive and support is a crapshoot for residential. Centurylink DSL is terrible, and the support I've encountered is even worse than comcast, if you can believe it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Failson posted:

Can't say it's "best" but I like the fixed point-to-point wireless providers

Fixed what to what now?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

Fixed what to what now?

They put an antenna on your roof, that points to their antenna:

http://www.stephouse.net/residential-high-speed-internet/

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Failson posted:

They put an antenna on your roof, that points to their antenna:

http://www.stephouse.net/residential-high-speed-internet/

Too bad I'm going to an apartment soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Centurylink Fiber is good. DSL anything is terrible.