Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Say you're a guy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I thought comedians get heckled on the reg, how can he be such a little bitch

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

mike12345 posted:

lifelong parental abuse mostly

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

mike12345 posted:

Because what is the point of it all? Provide a free podcast just to be bitched out? They could just be like "gently caress it, do live shows and people can pay to hear and only a few bitch", rather than the whole world listen for free and a whole heap of people complain.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Fo3 posted:

Because what is the point of it all?

Making a bunch of patreon cash and getting to headline big crowds would be my guess.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Gonna go way out on a limb and say that making insensitive jokes at the expense of the people that the Stonewall riots were for in your show about the Stonewall riots isn't particularly advisable.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
I'm a cis white dude so what do I know, but is this an example of a topic they should maybe steer clear of? It seems like it's kinda hard to land jokes about a subject that you can't really relate to. Are there subjects Dave has explicit stated he won't touch, other than serial killers?

head58
Apr 1, 2013

oh dope posted:

I'm a cis white dude so what do I know, but is this an example of a topic they should maybe steer clear of? It seems like it's kinda hard to land jokes about a subject that you can't really relate to. Are there subjects Dave has explicit stated he won't touch, other than serial killers?

But Dave’s super woke so there’s no way it could go wrong.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

oh dope posted:

LGBTQ history is ignored and erased by mainstream sources all the time, so they should cover it but with the understanding that they will gently caress up sometimes.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I would have never heard of it if they didbt bring it up so

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Veskit posted:

The stonewall riots aren't exactly minutae

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

The stonewall riots aren't exactly minutae

I'm not listening to this podcast because I know exactly what the topic is about?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Veskit posted:

I'm not listening to this podcast because I know exactly what the topic is about?

They don't get 'awareness' points or whatever for their shoddy handling of a fairly widely known event. Really if Dave hadn't just thrown a fit about it and let the apology stand it would have been fine.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

They don't get 'awareness' points or whatever for their shoddy handling of a fairly widely known event. Really if Dave hadn't just thrown a fit about it and let the apology stand it would have been fine.

You're a bit all over the place so I'm not sure what you're trying to argue so I'll just quote the problem and solution.

Serf posted:

classic dave losing it over criticism. i dunno why the response can't be "sorry we hosed up, we'll do better in the future"

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Veskit posted:

You're a bit all over the place so I'm not sure what you're trying to argue so I'll just quote the problem and solution.

I posted that exact thing in the post you quoted. I was responding to your sort of weird defense of the episode with 'well I didn't know about it before...' awareness thing. My point was that's not really a good argument for a poorly done episode, especially about something sensitive.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Someone said

oh dope posted:

Then someone else said

Scudworth posted:

LGBTQ history is ignored and erased by mainstream sources all the time, so they should cover it but with the understanding that they will gently caress up sometimes.

Then I said

Veskit posted:

To sum it up, someone asked if they shouldn't cover topics like this, then someone else said they get ignored and covered up all the time so they should cover it, then I said I didn't know about it. I'm not defending the episode because I didn't know the subject matter. I'm saying they should probably still do these kinds of episode, and honestly they should gently caress up like they did now. Probably should learn how to apologize though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
It would also help if maybe they had one or two guest comedians from the LGBQT+ community on episodes regarding LGBQT+ subjects and stories. It may make their schedule harder, but it would just be overall better.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Ok, I misunderstood your intent, sorry.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

It would also help if maybe they had one or two guest comedians from the LGBQT+ community on episodes regarding LGBQT+ subjects and stories. It may make their schedule harder, but it would just be overall better.

Damned if you do damned if you dont though. You either find a LGBQT person who knows about the topic (boring), OR You find someone who doesn't, and they look like an rear end in a top hat for not knowing the history of it. I wouldn't want to be on a podcast and NOT KNOW poo poo about fred hampton. As a proud black man... God that'd be awful.

fool_of_sound posted:

Ok, I misunderstood your intent, sorry.

No worries friend and thank you

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

maybe suck a dick before the show

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

mike12345 posted:

maybe suck a dick before the show

Dave and gareth go on cum town

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Asking to have an expert representative there is fine and all, but it's not really what the show is about. The show has always been about one barely literate dude reading a Wikipedia article to an illiterate dude.

There are two kinds of Dollop episodes: you have the ones that are about something crazy and inherently funny, like competitive tickling or dolphin loving, but you also have episodes that derive a lot of their impact from being about horrible historical events, where most of the humor is derived from riding the line of good taste, usually relying on ironical and chronological distance.

A lot of the latter episodes fail completely at being funny, especially stories from recent history like the torture or LAPD ones, yet they're the ones they've been gravitating towards for the latter half of the series. Maybe they're running out of stories, or maybe they just prefer stories that allow for more political catharsis now. Clearly, it's very much what Dave is about.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They should do a episode about Alan Dershowtiz

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Guy Goodbody posted:

They should do a episode about Alan Dershowtiz

Or Jeffrey Epstein.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

mike12345 posted:

btw if anyone's looking to take a break from the dollop, check out Last Podcast on the Left. it's even worse with jokes about dead people, but now's the scary month so a good time to check it out imo.

oh yeah it's like dollop but only murder-mystery type stories.

the one dude even sounds like gary

Main thing I recall from this podcast is a lot of shriek-laughing and exceedingly dumb jokes.

EDIT: like, Dave doing an improv for too long style dumb, except a lot more of it.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 4, 2018

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

All this just makes me want to go back and relisten to all of Walking the Room, where Dave’s anger and frustration is contained in a closet and not out in the world.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

Old Boot posted:

Main thing I recall from this podcast is a lot of shriek-laughing and exceedingly dumb jokes.

EDIT: like, Dave doing an improv for too long style dumb, except a lot more of it.

I love Last Podcast but it is definitely not for everyone. It's well researched and informative while also being pretty low brow edge lord stuff. I hardly ever recommend it and when I do it's with a lot of caveats. I'm kinda surprised there isn't thread about it to be honest.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Last Podcast on the Left : 0 Days Since Hong Kong Henry Zebrowski

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

It was hilarious how Dave tried to frame the story as an argument for the necessity of violent resistance to oppression, and then Gary ends it with "you gotta vote".

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SurgicalOntologist posted:

It was hilarious how Dave tried to frame the story as an argument for the necessity of violent resistance to oppression, and then Gary ends it with "you gotta vote".

Gary's end-of-episode attempts to summarize larger themes are always hilariously vague and/or wrong.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

oh dope posted:

pretty low brow edge lord stuff.

There is too much of this. If I was going to listen to edge lord stuff I'd listen to "high brow" edge lord stuff like Cum Town.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

oh dope posted:

I love Last Podcast but it is definitely not for everyone. It's well researched and informative while also being pretty low brow edge lord stuff. I hardly ever recommend it and when I do it's with a lot of caveats. I'm kinda surprised there isn't thread about it to be honest.

it's sometimes well researched, but sometimes they just repeat long-disproved aprocryphal poo poo. it's worse when Henry gets heavily invested because he'll ruin interesting stuff by trying to shoehorn everything into his "aliens are part-physical part-psychic transdimensional entities which are also ghosts and bigfoot and can be summoned by jacking off" theory

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Slanderer posted:

it's sometimes well researched, but sometimes they just repeat long-disproved aprocryphal poo poo. it's worse when Henry gets heavily invested because he'll ruin interesting stuff by trying to shoehorn everything into his "aliens are part-physical part-psychic transdimensional entities which are also ghosts and bigfoot and can be summoned by jacking off" theory

Yeah, I give a hard pass to episodes involving the supernatural (though the Jersey Devil one was good since they mostly focused on the origins of the legend which are pretty wacky in themselves. The Men In Black one, on the other hand, was utterly idiotic).

Best episodes of LPOTL IMHO in no particular order are H.H. Holmes*, Charles Manson, L. Ron Hubbard, Aum Shinrikyo**, Oaklahoma City Bombing, Rasputin and Jim Jones. Most of these could work as Dollop episodes, especially the Jim Jones one as they also go into Jim Jones' surprisingly progressive views and whether he truly believed them only to go into the deep end or if he was just using them to manipulate people.

* Be sure to approach this one as mostly fiction as since the ep came out, further research claims that most of what HH Holmes supposedly did (namely the torture dungeon) was likely fabrication although the fact that he was a textbook sociopath who murdered his business partner and his small children is undeniable.
** Warning, contains multiple instances of Henry's "hilarious" Asian accent.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 5, 2018

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

AceOfFlames posted:

It’s so blatantly lovely that while I listened to the whole thing and was interested in the story I have never recommended it to anyone. It’s a podcast I almost love but the dumbass stuff like that is a little too much.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Slanderer posted:

yeah. just still with the cult and serial killer poo poo if you want interesting albit hosed up poo poo. henry is kinda of deal breaker for alot of people and i can understand why, from his sense of humor(mixed bag) to his weird alien poo poo. you get used to him after a while and some of his poo poo can be funny.

AceOfFlames posted:

Yeah, I give a hard pass to episodes involving the supernatural (though the Jersey Devil one was good since they mostly focused on the origins of the legend which are pretty wacky in themselves. The Men In Black one, on the other hand, was utterly idiotic).

Best episodes of LPOTL IMHO in no particular order are H.H. Holmes*, Charles Manson, L. Ron Hubbard, Aum Shinrikyo**, Oaklahoma City Bombing, Rasputin and Jim Jones. Most of these could work as Dollop episodes, especially the Jim Jones one as they also go into Jim Jones' surprisingly progressive views and whether he truly believed them only to go into the deep end or if he was just using them to manipulate people.

* Be sure to approach this one as mostly fiction as since the ep came out, further research claims that most of what HH Holmes supposedly did (namely the torture dungeon) was likely fabrication although the fact that he was a textbook sociopath who murdered his business partner and his small children is undeniable.

yeah pretty much. the ed gein one is good too. most of the serial killer ones are good. i'll add one other thing is that i like about the LPOTL is that there is very little drama in the community/cast. if they gently caress up, they apologize. unlike dave who turns it into a loving circus. i like the dollop alot but i just get tired of dave losing his cool every 10 minutes.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

Slanderer posted:

I don't really care for the conspiracy theory kind of episodes either and wasn't thinking of those ones when I made that post. You are totally correct.

AceOfFlames posted:

The whole "Hong Kong Henry" thing I think came from his impression of Charles Ng. It's very much the racist Chinese stereotype voice. Henry claims it's basically an exact reproduction of how Ng talks, but it's still ill advised.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Sadly "Hong Kong Henry" was more of a recurring joke from the early days, although in the thinnest defense the punchline was always that he was just doing it to embarrass himself and the people around him. And it seems to be thankfully retired and Henry's calmed down a lot. Trump getting elected shook him up, although a stable relationship and therapy probably aren't hurting.

The real canary in the coal mine for LPOTL conspiracy or paranormal episodes is whether Marcus believes in it. Henry as a street preacher can still be funny, but Marcus and Henry legitimately defending a dumb poltergeist story or abduction can be hell. It's why it's so sad that they were into chaos magick when they did the episodes on it.

I've thought about starting a Last Podcast network thread, but I'm not sure there'd be enough interest to keep it going.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I've thought about starting a Last Podcast network thread, but I'm not sure there'd be enough interest to keep it going.

Maybe a general thread about mystery & true crime shows

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Sadly "Hong Kong Henry" was more of a recurring joke from the early days, although in the thinnest defense the punchline was always that he was just doing it to embarrass himself and the people around him. And it seems to be thankfully retired and Henry's calmed down a lot. Trump getting elected shook him up, although a stable relationship and therapy probably aren't hurting.

The real canary in the coal mine for LPOTL conspiracy or paranormal episodes is whether Marcus believes in it. Henry as a street preacher can still be funny, but Marcus and Henry legitimately defending a dumb poltergeist story or abduction can be hell. It's why it's so sad that they were into chaos magick when they did the episodes on it.

yeah, Henry is a decent dude and has settled down a ton since the early days. I am open to paranormal stuff(id like to believe in aliens and ghosts but its probably bullshit) but it gets boring/stupid as hell at times.

mike12345 posted:

Maybe a general thread about mystery & true crime shows

that would be cool. sword and shield is ok too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
I decided to finally give LPOTL a try due to this thread discussion, about to finish the first Jim Jones ep.
It's very interesting and informative and the hosts sound like a morning radio zoo crew so that's where my expectations are so I can't be too disappointed.