Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

All of science needs a drat good kicking. Shake out all the stupid measurements.

I still do not understand why parsecs are a thing. Why not just use light years?

I mean, look at it:

Why?
I think it comes from observational methods. You measure/record star positions, note by how many degrees they've changed, etc. There's no other way to get a big difference in observing positions than to observe, then wait six months for the Earth to be on the other side of the Sun, 180 M miles away from your first observation point, and observe again.

You'd have to remember a conversion factor for lightyears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Vavrek posted:

I think it comes from observational methods. You measure/record star positions, note by how many degrees they've changed, etc. There's no other way to get a big difference in observing positions than to observe, then wait six months for the Earth to be on the other side of the Sun, 180 M miles away from your first observation point, and observe again.

You'd have to remember a conversion factor for lightyears.
Yeah. A lot of these things make sense when you take into account how actual measurements are made.

Manky Tungeon
Jun 11, 2018

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

I'm the Ruth - Liz axis.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

CommonShore posted:

:confused: so a parsec... is the distance at which one AU of tangential displacement creates 1 degree of observable progression?

One second, hence the name, Parallax ARc SECond.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
I'm the autism spectrum square in the middle of the libertarian left.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
how is a movement against police brutality authoritarian?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
What are the numbers supposed to be?

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Spoeank posted:

Huh... I thought it was "It's October third" from Mean Girls

That’s actually overtaken wake me up when September ends on google trends

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

One problem keeping this graph down is that entities are not allowed to overlap.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’m Open Source’s authoritarian horn

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

ToxicFrog posted:

One second, hence the name, Parallax ARc SECond.

One arcsecond which isn't related to time at all but is indeed an angle measure. 1 arc second is 1/60th of an arc minute, and an arc minute is 1/60th of a degree (so 1 arcsecond is 1/3600th of a degree). The second and minute thing are just ways to remember how to convert it. And it is more PARallax arcSECond, though that's probably needless pedantic.

The reason the AU comes into play is because you take two measurements about 6 months apart (so the Earth will be on the opposite side of its orbit, reason to do this is it gives us an easy distance to compute between the two Earth locations, it will just be 2AU) and measure the apparent displacement of the star in the sky, this displacement angle is known as stellar parallax. We can then use the fact the earth is 1 AU from the sun and the computed angle to use trig (with the small angles no actual trig functions are necessary just the trig ratio) to compute the distance from the Earth to that star.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Megillah Gorilla posted:

All of science needs a drat good kicking. Shake out all the stupid measurements.

I still do not understand why parsecs are a thing. Why not just use light years?

I mean, look at it:

Why?

That diagram is missing half of the diagram.

It’s simple geometry on similar triangles.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Platystemon posted:

SAS, bitches

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Platystemon posted:

So... is the Parallax View a good movie or not? This review seems unnecessary complicated.

I like the touch that 90% of country music is further right than the Nazis.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I'm 5.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Do your parents know you're using this site?

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018

I'm the autism spectrum as an ideological position

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mamkute posted:

I suspect we all are, in this thread.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Mamkute posted:

Count Roland posted:

I suspect we all are, in this thread.

:drat:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Is this saying that Mexico, Russia and Breitbart are connected? Because going by the Breitbart comment section I don't think they want to be associated with Mexicans.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Don Gato posted:

Is this saying that Mexico, Russia and Breitbart are connected? Because going by the Breitbart comment section I don't think they want to be associated with Mexicans.

The perfect alibi

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

It Came From C-SPAM:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

:yikes:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Powered Descent posted:

It Came From C-SPAM:

At first glance that's a neat infographic and then the more I look the more i:kheldragar:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm the thin sliver representing the Mongols

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
i'll be the bunch of little islands off the coast of europe getting the same amount of space as the whole of china, then

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Powered Descent posted:

It Came From C-SPAM:

I'm each Chinese dynasty being treated as a separate entity when no other civilization on that graph is treated the same way.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
At first I was like oh that's neat! All of the world's empires expanding and contracting. Cool graphic. Then I noticed Egypt and Mali were missing and oh Africa is tiny and...uh oh Asia is too and China has always been huge and...oh dear that is depressingly eurocentric. I'm...I uh I don't like this graphic anymore.

Edit: oh wait Egypt is there but north Africa is separate from the rest of Africa. gently caress, the more I look at it the worse it gets.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Besesoth posted:

I'm each Chinese dynasty being treated as a separate entity when no other civilization on that graph is treated the same way.

They do the same with the eastern roman empire

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

At first I was like oh that's neat! All of the world's empires expanding and contracting. Cool graphic. Then I noticed Egypt and Mali were missing and oh Africa is tiny and...uh oh Asia is too and China has always been huge and...oh dear that is depressingly eurocentric. I'm...I uh I don't like this graphic anymore.

Edit: oh wait Egypt is there but north Africa is separate from the rest of Africa. gently caress, the more I look at it the worse it gets.

Yeah it definitely looks like they started with the premise of "How do we make it look like the Roman Empire was the single largest and most important empire in human history?" and worked backwards from there. Everybody else is basically a footnote on that graphic.

Also nobody lived in Australia until the British arrived.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Powered Descent posted:

It Came From C-SPAM:

What's the width supposed to represent? Why is the UK larger than the USSR?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Ensign Expendable posted:

What's the width supposed to represent? Why is the UK larger than the USSR?

I'm going to guess the creator was from the UK.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Top left is definitely band and theatre kids

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
im the literally only one lesbian and one gay relationship in the whole school

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m the self‐reported data.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Powered Descent posted:

It Came From C-SPAM:

I'm Israel/Judah disappearing circa 600 BC. but never appearing again

Oh wait I think I see Israel at the 2000 AD section, between Jordan and ... 6 dog... Lebanon. It's just so small you can't really read it. Much like all of Africa

It's like where's waldo, only more depressing

Yes I know it actually says 6 Day War, it just looks weird how things are randomly written on top of the place names

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m “AD” proceeding the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Platystemon posted:

I’m “AD” proceeding the year.

I mean, yeah, that's kinda outdated terminology too.

I don't think "proceeding" is the opposite of "preceding" btw