Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

there wolf posted:

For people who worry about grease accumulation in a kitchen..

I'm sure there are ways to acquire wine corks in bulk (after all, wineries need them), but every time I see soemthing like this, or a coffee table covered in wine corks, or just any DIY project that requires a metric fuckton of them, all I can wonder is just how bad of an alcoholic is the person behind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I'm sure there are ways to acquire wine corks in bulk (after all, wineries need them), but every time I see soemthing like this, or a coffee table covered in wine corks, or just any DIY project that requires a metric fuckton of them, all I can wonder is just how bad of an alcoholic is the person behind it.

Well it's the kitchen of an artist so presumably she just took bags home from her openings till she had enough.

But for a more complete drunk-life theme, those are hops hanging from the ceiling.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

there wolf posted:

Well it's the kitchen of an artist so presumably she just took bags home from her openings till she had enough.

But for a more complete drunk-life theme, those are hops hanging from the ceiling.

The empties on top of the cabinets like a teens first apartment don't help either.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I'm the crock of burnt spoons

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
im the corks

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

PRADA SLUT posted:

im the corks

Nah, you're the small patch of bare white wall midway up the righthand side of the pic, and you know it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Holy poo poo that backsplash is all broken tea sets.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

PRADA SLUT posted:

im the corks

You will have to get a bigger apartment.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The backsplash could be really neat in the right setting, but that setting is NOT "the broken china backsplash is the least busy part of the kitchen".

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

mutata posted:

The backsplash could be really neat in the right setting, but that setting is NOT "the broken china backsplash is the least busy part of the kitchen".

I feel the same way about the shell cabinets. That would look really good on like a fountain.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

there wolf posted:

I feel the same way about the shell cabinets. That would look really good on like a fountain.

the residenz in munich has a shell fountain and it's very old and faded but it's pretty cool when you see it in person.

inquis eisenhorn
Sep 11, 2001
that backsplash would consistently wig me out

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I'm the crock of burnt spoons

I knew just from the first photo that this is a house in England. Everything outside of the wacky bottle-shell-broken-crockery stuff screams England to me, from the (plate and clothes) drying racks, to the plates, to the vase of burnt wooden utensils and the tea towels hanging on the oven door says "this person grew up in Tunbridge Wells or Weston-super-Mare".

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

underage at the vape shop posted:

the residenz in munich has a shell fountain and it's very old and faded but it's pretty cool when you see it in person.

Long before I had a smart phone capable of decent photos I looked at a terrible DIY monstrosity of a house with a bathroom that looked like that fountain does. Add a layer of gold gilt and less precision in the shell arrangement, and that was it.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

there wolf posted:

Long before I had a smart phone capable of decent photos I looked at a terrible DIY monstrosity of a house with a bathroom that looked like that fountain does. Add a layer of gold gilt and less precision in the shell arrangement, and that was it.

photos make it look really bad. in person its still incredibly ugly, but its weird because it still looks okay? I guess because the person who built it was an ancient german master decorator vs some dude. wonder what it looked like before it was covered in centuries of dust and grime and got all sunfaded.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

underage at the vape shop posted:

And there are plenty of crypts with ornate and gorgeous decoration composed of human bones, but it's still just not going to work in a home.

... I hope someone can prove me wrong.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

tetrapyloctomy posted:

And there are plenty of crypts with ornate and gorgeous decoration composed of human bones, but it's still just not going to work in a home.

... I hope someone can prove me wrong.

I've got a gorgeous bone you could see

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Jaded Burnout posted:

I've got a gorgeous bone you could see

It doesn't look like Toad, does it?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tetrapyloctomy posted:

it sort of looks like a toad...

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

The Bloop posted:

it sort of looks like a toad...

In case you missed it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

tetrapyloctomy posted:

My femur? Nope

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I have since seen it, yes

The only good thing about this mental image and the association poor Toad will forever be cursed with is that Trump must be livid

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I quite like the look of high quality plywood in some circumstances, and when finished well I like the look of the layers forming the "end grain", but I've discovered that in New Zealand it is "the style" to have a kitchen that looks like this:

Yes those are the finished walls and floors, and the cabinet fronts are poly-coated birch ply too. The only thing not going to be ply is stainless steel countertops.

This is a "stylish" kitchen in NZ which just goes to show how much things can change based on location.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Wow that’s odd. I say this as an Australian.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Forget shabby chic, go full shack chic

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

There were some plywood-paneled classrooms at my grade school. These rooms were in an addition from the 50s or 60s so they had a distinctly mid century vibe. It also helped that the plywood had aged over the decades to this really nice ruddy gold tone. But birch ply isn't going to age like that. It's just going to look unfinished forever.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It seems like that would be a fire risk, vs drywall, but I guess it could be treated.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Queen Victorian posted:

There were some plywood-paneled classrooms at my grade school. These rooms were in an addition from the 50s or 60s so they had a distinctly mid century vibe. It also helped that the plywood had aged over the decades to this really nice ruddy gold tone. But birch ply isn't going to age like that. It's just going to look unfinished forever.

I think it could do well in smaller amounts with more contrast. Too much of anything doesn't do it for me.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I've seen plywood done well exactly once. At an art and design school that built a 4 story atrium when it bought and converted the old building next to it's main classroom building.

The entire thing is white/grey and airy and skylights. One wall of the 4th floor is executive offices, and to make them stand out from the rest of the atrium, their wall along the atrium is clad with well-patterend, and waxed/stained plywood with grommeted brass screws looking like rivets along the joints.

It's still not my favorite look, but it at least looks like it's not an unfinished wall.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

There was a factory I used to work in with a corridor about 30m long panelled sides and top with varnished OSB. There were no lights or windows this corridor. It was almost a blessing when you were in the middle and it was so dark you couldn't see the walls.

It made me want to see if anyone ever made nice-looking OSB furniture.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Simone Giertz tried to make some desks look good with it, didn’t work so well.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Bonus, full breakdown - https://www.archdaily.com/519353/stair-house-onix

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 3, 2018

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Oh cool, another house that actively hates the elderly and disabled. And babies.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I don't think the people who get custom houses like that are all too concerned about resale value to babies and the elderly.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Oh yikes, this reminds me of all the pine ply I saw in the NY Facebook offices.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
What an awful look honestly.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Speaking as someone who likes wood paneling, you can have too much of a good thing. Also that's all clearly plywood.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Turn on your monitor, but yeah I agree. It just looks unfinished. Like, sheds and treehouses usually have more effort put in.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Speaking as someone who likes wood paneling, you can have too much of a good thing. Also that's all clearly plywood.

That second house, but zebrano veneer over every single ply surface.

I only pulled out the first 2 I found, but there are countless examples of unfinished all-plywood houses - every single surface made of it. it's wild.
saying that i'd totally go for the exact same thing but in super white/light grey raw concrete, I might not be the best person to judge.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'm almost on board with the kitchen because it at least has some contrast.

The Bloop posted:

Turn on your monitor, but yeah I agree. It just looks unfinished. Like, sheds and treehouses usually have more effort put in.

"It looks unfinished" is one of those commonly produced opinions that I think people use when they're forgetting that people have varied taste. And it's pretty obvious from looking at it that a *lot* of effort has been put in to get the result they want.

It's something I had to deal with a lot with my builder when I wanted some of the brick walls left brick. The distinction is that there's a difference between something that's actually unfinished and something deliberately "unfinished" but done in such a way that you can tell it's deliberate.

Not everything has to be polished tile and gloss paint.