Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

a friend who saw the post over my shoulder posted:

Cthulhu fhtagn, full of grace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

HEY GUNS posted:

hitting the highlights of the worst of Catholic reasoning

https://twitter.com/inflammateomnia/status/1047182964663234560

That depends, are the aerial tollhouses under the ecclesiatical jurisdiction of Rome?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

Don't christians in general assume people of good hearts and intentions go to heaven even if separated from their particular sect? Or am I giving folks too much credit here?
catholics love hair splitting and logic puzzles. in this case it's about the conflict between "if you aren't catholic you go to hell" and "catholics believe orthodox sacraments are valid anyway"

assuming this was a post-7-year-old convert to orthodoxy, and assuming "we acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins," that puts these people in the invidious position of concluding that the orthodox baptism forgives the sin of wanting to become orthodox. instead of realizing they had gotten caught in a reductio ad absurdam, since catholic teaching can never be wrong they just reason themselves further and further into contradictions.

there is a way to logic yourself out of this, which is to assume the dead person is old enough to consciously convert but younger than 7.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 3, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

That depends, are the aerial tollhouses under the ecclesiatical jurisdiction of Rome?
boo hiss

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010

Our Lady of Ry'leh

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

A Renaissance Nerd posted:

Our Lady of Ry'leh

:discourse:

e:

ChubbyChecker fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 3, 2018

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

I was incredibly depressed today (for no reason I could figure out, which drives me nuts, but anyway!) before coming to this thread and seeing this. (Upon which point I promptly laughed for a good 4 minutes straight.)

Thank you.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

HEY GUNS posted:

assuming this was a post-7-year-old convert to orthodoxy, and assuming "we acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins," that puts these people in the invidious position of concluding that the orthodox baptism forgives the sin of wanting to become orthodox. instead of realizing they had gotten caught in a reductio ad absurdam, since catholic teaching can never be wrong they just reason themselves further and further into contradictions.

I'm not a canon lawyer, but it would raise the following questions in my head:

1. Is "wanting to convert to Orthodoxy" from a non Christian religion a mortal sin? (It's obvious in this scenario the person isnt converting from Catholicism because otherwise the baptism would be invalid) It isn't schism, because the person was never in communion with the church to begin with, and the person either didnt recognize the truth of the Catholic Church or how it differs from Orthodoxy, in which case, the defense of ignorance applies, or the person recognized the truth of the Catholic Church, and allowed themselves to be baptized Orthodox because there was no other way he could get baptized, in which case you could probably make some necessity argument.

2. Assuming, though, the convert converts to Orthodoxy with full knowledge that the Catholic Church is the only valid authority and that the Orthodox Church is wrong when they differ, and assuming hes able, should they so wish it, to have a Catholic baptism, and therefore their conversion is done solely as an act of rebellion. that would be a sin. Now the baptism wipes away that sin, but if the person continues in that attitude for a moment more, they continue in their sin, and baptism forgive future sins.

Of course, we can never say with certainty that anyone is going to hell, because God is infinite in mercy and all, but I'd think that's how I'd argue it.

Rainbow Pharaoh
Jun 13, 2014

Cali-Mary, full of ink, Cthulhu is with thee...

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Epicurius posted:

I'm not a canon lawyer, but it would raise the following questions in my head:

1. Is "wanting to convert to Orthodoxy" from a non Christian religion a mortal sin? (It's obvious in this scenario the person isnt converting from Catholicism because otherwise the baptism would be invalid) It isn't schism, because the person was never in communion with the church to begin with, and the person either didnt recognize the truth of the Catholic Church or how it differs from Orthodoxy, in which case, the defense of ignorance applies, or the person recognized the truth of the Catholic Church, and allowed themselves to be baptized Orthodox because there was no other way he could get baptized, in which case you could probably make some necessity argument.

2. Assuming, though, the convert converts to Orthodoxy with full knowledge that the Catholic Church is the only valid authority and that the Orthodox Church is wrong when they differ, and assuming hes able, should they so wish it, to have a Catholic baptism, and therefore their conversion is done solely as an act of rebellion. that would be a sin. Now the baptism wipes away that sin, but if the person continues in that attitude for a moment more, they continue in their sin, and baptism forgive future sins.

Of course, we can never say with certainty that anyone is going to hell, because God is infinite in mercy and all, but I'd think that's how I'd argue it.
hold on though. literally anyone can baptize. i could throw a rock out my window and ask the first person it hit to baptize someone and it'd work, no matter what their religion is. so the baptism would work no matter what.

my question is: how long after the baptism does this person remain alive? is thinking going on during this period? we're not asking if orthodox baptisms are valid. we're asking if someone is baptized orthodox and then immediately (???) dies, what is the state of their soul?

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 3, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

:eyepop:

e: also who made that, is it just one person's clever modification of the original statue or is there a company mass producing marian octopi out there

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

A blasphemous representation of Our Lady, Star Of The Sea...reminds me of some Hellboy comics.

E: vvv that was quoted in a Hellboy story where he cut off Blackbeard's head.

Pershing fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 3, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; these see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep.

https://i.imgur.com/cR2tlNx.mp4

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Sure, the Octo-Mary seems gentle and inviting, but then you get too close, it takes off its disguise, and...

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

:eyepop:

e: also who made that, is it just one person's clever modification of the original statue or is there a company mass producing marian octopi out there

i just saw it on pyf, but i put it on tineye on found this: https://www.soasig-chamaillard.com/notre-dame-du-poulpe

e:

ee: these reminded me of st anthony of rivendell: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/38531888/grandma-accidentally-prays-to-elrond-from-lord-of-the-rings

ChubbyChecker fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 3, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cythereal posted:

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; these see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep.

https://i.imgur.com/cR2tlNx.mp4

me, an idiot: "the earth is filled with Thy creatures, so is this great and spacious sea, therein are innumerable creeping things, small living creatures with the great. There go the ships; there this dragon, whom Thou hast made to play therein..."

the seal, an intellectual: "blurp"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

HEY GUNS posted:

my question is: how long after the baptism does this person remain alive? is thinking going on during this period? we're not asking if orthodox baptisms are valid. we're asking if someone is baptized orthodox and then immediately (???) dies, what is the state of their soul?

Immediately, the individual would be in a state of grace.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GUNS posted:

me, an idiot: "the earth is filled with Thy creatures, so is this great and spacious sea, therein are innumerable creeping things, small living creatures with the great. There go the ships; there this dragon, whom Thou hast made to play therein..."

The sea lion, a pragmatist: "mine now"

https://i.imgur.com/Gcgr6Ol.mp4

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

does genesis account for blob animals. they seem to be ok animals so i hope so

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cythereal posted:

The sea lion, a pragmatist: "mine now"
https://www.reddit.com/r/AnimalsBeingJerks/comments/8xp6aw/sea_lion_stealin_a_snack/

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Direct link.

https://i.imgur.com/8Gkyv0t.mp4

And throwing in a bonus since you were trying to link that one.

https://i.imgur.com/wU8kPl9.mp4

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

HEY GUNS posted:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lutha Mahtin posted:

until a couple months ago I don't think I had ever heard of the idea that Jesus went down to Hell and kicked demon rear end. i don't think my dad ever mentioned it, which surprises me because of how goony he is

I think you'll find that Mary did the same thing and also did some of it while having a warthog head.

...I may be having some cross pollination with my alternate timeline self who discovered hardcore Marianism early.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

That would be a good avatar.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i love how little she cares about that tiny human. they're big, we're not. what did the guy think would happen?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
lol

https://themoscowtimes.com/news/russian-orthodox-church-defends-suspects-embroiled-argentinian-cocaine-scandal-60664

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

HEY GUNS posted:

lol

https://themoscowtimes.com/news/russian-orthodox-church-defends-suspects-embroiled-argentinian-cocaine-scandal-60664

The Russian Orthodox Church in the Argentinean port city of Mar del Plata said that Bliznyuk was a philanthropist who regularly donated to church causes and called him a victim of “provocation and real slander.”

“Many people were jealous of him inside the Russian Embassy in Argentina,” church rector Hieromonk Gerasim told the newspaper Nezavisimaya Gazeta on Wednesday.

“We will pray that the truth triumphs while the real intruders will be punished in all severity of the law,” Gerasim was cited as saying.

i didn't realize there was a church rector program at trump university

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
rumor had it the monks at the Holy Sepulchre ran drugs and guns, but i heard that ten years ago when i was converting

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
I'd believe it. Holy Sepulchre might as well be a diplomatic compound for how impossible it'd be to execute a search warrant against.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

there are definitely people who don a clerical collar, sometimes literally, to do crimes. this is true whether or not they are actually clergy

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Lutha Mahtin posted:

there are definitely people who don a clerical collar, sometimes literally, to do crimes. this is true whether or not they are actually clergy

turns chair backwards "Let me tell you about a guy who people thought was a pretty bad dude. The authorities tried to kill him, but he was too tough to stay dead."

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Look at his little smoochie face!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Josef bugman posted:

Look at his little smoochie face!
he blupp
he strecch

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
seals are just aquatic dogs

also deformed quadrupeds

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Spacewolf posted:

I'd believe it. Holy Sepulchre might as well be a diplomatic compound for how impossible it'd be to execute a search warrant against.
when i say that Orthodox scandals usually aren't sex related, that IN NO WAY means we don't have scandals

i wonder if it's a draw for evangelization when i tell people our scandals are usually badass or, if not badass, funny

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

HEY GUNS posted:

when i say that Orthodox scandals usually aren't sex related, that IN NO WAY means we don't have scandals

i wonder if it's a draw for evangelization when i tell people our scandals are usually badass or, if not badass, funny

Father Ray Smuckles

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

https://twitter.com/ThaumPenguin/status/877524647268503553

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
also an antisemite obsessed with poop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

it's a meme parody