Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I hear that Mendez is only one point ahead in the polls. Lol!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

im in the process of creating a tiered ranking of all podcasts in order of correct leftist thought. stay tuned

J.B. CURES KANSAS
Sep 22, 2018

"I am now quite certain that the crimes of this guilty land will never be purged away but with blood."

Calibanibal posted:

im in the process of creating a tiered ranking of all podcasts in order of correct leftist thought. stay tuned
:allears:

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/sunsentinel/status/1047239738296619008?s=21

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Gillum has to lose, I'm sorry. He's a scumbag who pretended to be a leftist and immediately walked it back when he got through the primary.

If Gillum wins, then allow me to preview 2020 for you: Kamala Harris mirrors everything Bernie says until she beats him in the primary and then immediately transforms back into Responsible Centrist Hamptons Favorite. Which is what Gillum is trying to do.

Primaries have to matter.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The only way you win FL is by energizing the left bc anyone right of well-meaning-but-ignorant liberal is a chud ghoul around here

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Hmm, I wonder if there was anything that happened recently that caused Gillum's numbers to drop so quickly?

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1045066251347922944

Oh...

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Euphoriaphone posted:

Hmm, I wonder if there was anything that happened recently that caused Gillum's numbers to drop so quickly?

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1045066251347922944

Oh...

lol

Yeah that guy is poo poo and deserves to lose. Not to mention his bizarre strategy of attacking random South American leaders as a gubernatorial candidate. Cuban ex-pats are never voting Dem.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Radish posted:

lol

Yeah that guy is poo poo and deserves to lose. Not to mention his bizarre strategy of attacking random South American leaders as a gubernatorial candidate. Cuban ex-pats are never voting Dem.
White supremacist > black man.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Gillum has to lose, I'm sorry.
As a Floridian, no thanks.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I don’t think he should lose, since his opponent is a Nazi, but he should be moved into the poo poo category unless he shapes up.

J.B. CURES KANSAS
Sep 22, 2018

"I am now quite certain that the crimes of this guilty land will never be purged away but with blood."

Lightning Knight posted:

I don’t think he should lose, since his opponent is a Nazi, but he should be moved into the poo poo category unless he shapes up.
There should be consequences for pretending to not be poo poo in the primary and then, once you've won the primary, revealing that you were actually a piece of poo poo all along.

Sadly the only consequences in this context are losing the election.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

J.B. CURES KANSAS posted:

There should be consequences for pretending to not be poo poo in the primary and then, once you've won the primary, revealing that you were actually a piece of poo poo all along.

Yeah but the problem is that “I hope he loses” is also de facto “I hope a Nazi wins” in this context which just feels lovely to even think. It’s not like Trump where he’s a senile shitlord who is only interested in his own self-promotion either, like DeSantis is just actually a Nazi.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The problem is that this also has consequences for other people. I find the best middle option to be "vocally attack/criticize and don't offer any active support," but still put in the minimal effort of voting just for the purposes of preventing the Republican from getting into office (but I also wouldn't condemn anyone for not voting in such a case).

J.B. CURES KANSAS
Sep 22, 2018

Ytlaya posted:

The problem is that this also has consequences for other people. I find the best middle option to be "vocally attack/criticize and don't offer any active support," but still put in the minimal effort of voting just for the purposes of preventing the Republican from getting into office (but I also wouldn't condemn anyone for not voting in such a case).
Yeah that seems fair.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Whether we hope he loses is besides the point. The fact of the matter is that he is losing - and campaigning to the right, a longtime losing strategy for FL Dems, probably has a lot to do with that. He ran to the left because he thought it would win over Dem voters - and the fact that he's now moving right means that he's abandoning those Dem voters and instead trying to win over GOP diehards. Which is not really the way to go in Florida.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Main Paineframe posted:

Whether we hope he loses is besides the point. The fact of the matter is that he is losing - and campaigning to the right, a longtime losing strategy for FL Dems, probably has a lot to do with that. He ran to the left because he thought it would win over Dem voters - and the fact that he's now moving right means that he's abandoning those Dem voters and instead trying to win over GOP diehards. Which is not really the way to go in Florida.

Yep, he has to lose. gently caress him. Doesn't matter if he got blinded by consultants or if this is actually him. All good lefties vote Green.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Crowsbeak posted:

Yep, he has to lose. gently caress him. Doesn't matter if he got blinded by consultants or if this is actually him. All good lefties vote Green.

It's not a matter of "has to lose". The fact is that he is going to lose.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

My concern is that if Gillum's strategy works it will be replicated in the Presidential primary and Bernie will absolutely lose, as he is the least charismatic of all the nominees and wins purely on policy and authenticity. If that's removed and everyone parrots his points with every intention of abandoning them after the primary, he's got nothing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

My concern is that if Gillum's strategy works it will be replicated in the Presidential primary and Bernie will absolutely lose, as he is the least charismatic of all the nominees and wins purely on policy and authenticity. If that's removed and everyone parrots his points with every intention of abandoning them after the primary, he's got nothing.

Thing is, Bernie can go genuinely further than everyone else is willing to and can admit to authenticity because he's been running on the same stuff for decades. The Clinton campaign was complaining about this that he goes further than their lip service every time.

J.B. CURES KANSAS
Sep 22, 2018

It's going to be replicated in the Presidential primary anyway. And Bernie is charismatic as all hell - the gently caress are you talking about?

I think you don't need to worry about two-faced idiots like Gillum quite so much. The promises you make during a campaign actually make a difference in how you can govern, because mandates are actually a thing that people pay attention to and care about, especially for executive positions. If Gillum wins the governorship he's going to be an ineffectual loser because he doesn't have a base of support anymore and everyone knows it. No one in government is going to give a gently caress what he says or wants, and they'll know they can poo poo on his face without anyone getting too upset. And so he'll get drummed out.

The two-faced stuff is a bigger problem in the parliamentary world because the blame gets diffused and while mandates matter, they matter at the party level not the individual. But we'll get those fuckers, too.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Gillium "won" the primary because the vote was split between the candidates so much that the 30% or so he got ended up being more than anyone else. Nobody took him seriously until he ended up being the nominee in a fluke of bad polling: going in he was only supposed to take 10-15%. Florida democratic party is garbage, film at 11.

Even if he gets Clinton cooties on him he's still such a massive improvement from current governor and next sentator Rick Scott it's not even funny.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

"Deserves to lose" doesn't mean rooting for the other guy. It means when he loses what's he's doing (moving away from his promises during the primary and saber rattling) will be his own fault.

Obviously these Democrats are better than nazis and white supremacists, like how Kaine is running against a proud lost causer in Virginia but we are the ones that suffer when they bungle their campaigns trying to appeal to the center that doesn't exist.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Oct 4, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It's going to be replicated in the Presidential primary anyway. And Bernie is charismatic as all hell - the gently caress are you talking about?

I don't find Bernie very charismatic, sorry. I think he's absolutely the best and most moral candidate though.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I find Bernie to be charismatic in interview settings or when speaking to camera but I don’t find his public speaking to be super inspiring most of the time. I think that like Hillary, he’s a basically average public speaker, and our perception of what counts as good public speaking has been skewed by a history of people like Obama, Reagan, JFK, FDR, etc., who were exceptional public speakers regardless of their relative political merits.

I also don’t really think Bernie’s ability to make objectively good speeches with good delivery is going to matter now that he has the name recognition he didn’t have in 2015. Nobody has to google “who is Bernie Sanders” who is gonna vote in a primary in 2020.

Edit: I say this and will note that objective public speaking skill is not the same as authenticity, which Bernie has plenty of while Hillary lacked (or at least is generally perceived to have lacked).

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 4, 2018

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

The most lol outcome: Murkowski and some other random GOP senator vote no on Kavanaugh, Manchin votes yes, Pence breaks the tie to confirm.

Also, some people in the bad thread are suggesting people should call Heitkampt to thank her for coming out as a No on Kavanaugh. I guess now not just voting for the lesser evil candidate is enough, you also have to thank them?

Euphoriaphone fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 4, 2018

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Euphoriaphone posted:

The most lol outcome: Murkowski and some other random GOP senator vote no on Kavanaugh, Manchin votes yes, Pence breaks the tie to confirm.

sasse. allows for MAXIMUM Lol Nothing Matters

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Spoiler alert: every Republican senator votes to confirm, majority of white people (including white women) approve of decision because ultimately they vote with the tribe. Democrats see this, ignore it, and double down on winning over Panera Bread Republicans in 2020.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Helsing posted:

Spoiler alert: every Republican senator votes to confirm, majority of white people (including white women) approve of decision because ultimately they vote with the tribe. Democrats see this, ignore it, and double down on winning over Panera Bread Republicans in 2020.

45% of eligible voters stay home as usual.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Helsing posted:

Also lots of "thought pieces" from the big papers asking maybe we shouldn't have made such a big deal about sexual assault from a person with such a distinguished back ground.

At this point I'm pretty resigned to the American aristocracy going all in on just making themselves extra legal officially instead of just de facto with the blessings of their sycophants. I don't even know why the Republicans even bother with setting up these absurd excuses like the FBI check and whatnot when everyone on both sides knows the score and the Democrats are unwilling to fight on those terms since at the end of the day they are in class solidarity with the GOP.

Just rule affluenza is a mitigating circumstance in all crimes so we at least don't have to pretend this farce is even intended to be fair.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 4, 2018

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Trumpthread.txt

Mahoning posted:

Listen, if Manchin is the deciding Yes vote, I’m going to be just as mad as everyone else. But even if someone votes with the GOP 100% of the time, they serve a useful purpose as far as a senatorial majority goes, just by virtue of that D being next to their name. Yes Manchin is garbage most likely, but he’s useful garbage regardless of his vote.

If Manchin loses but Bredesen wins Tennessee I can’t wait for him to turn into the new Blue Dog thread punching bag.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Previa_fun posted:

Trumpthread.txt

So loving stupid. We already have Jones.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Mr Hootington posted:

So loving stupid. We already have Jones.

Careful, you're gonna eat a probe for that one. Gotta protect that Don Smith guy.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Previa_fun posted:

Trumpthread.txt

Yknow, I looked thinking that must just be one rear end in a top hat and everyone was calling him on it. I regret it.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
At a certain point you just have to step back and let the Nazi win and hope that a decent primary candidate will show up in a few years. It sucks and you shouldn’t do it lightly but at the end of the day you can’t let your representatives keep stabbing you in the back over and over without consequences.

That asside, pinning your hopes on elections in a post escalator world is insanity. Both parties are bought off and don’t care if you live or die. If you want actual results only direct actions like protesting, organizing strikes, and generally making the lives of the comfortable and wealthy miserable will get you anywhere.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Seriously, a single person chewing out a representative in an elevator accomplished more than millions of votes for Joe Manchin ever did. Get in these fuckers faces every chance you get and force them to face just how worthless they are. Bonus points if you make them cry.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Previa_fun posted:

Trumpthread.txt

Trump thred IV: Lie back and think of the strategery of allowing d’s to vote for Kavanaugh

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Previa_fun posted:

Trumpthread.txt

This is why we are where we are in a nutshell. Republicans are loyal to the people who carry out their policy preferences even if it costs them politically, while democrats are loyal to people who benefit them politically, even if it costs them their policy preferences. Democrats prefer to have a disloyal incumbent while republicans would rather lose incumbency than tolerate disloyalty.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

readingatwork posted:

Seriously, a single person chewing out a representative in an elevator accomplished more than millions of votes for Joe Manchin ever did. Get in these fuckers faces every chance you get and force them to face just how worthless they are. Bonus points if you make them cry.

Or at least make them look like assholes, like Hatch did tonight. It might appeal to his base, but it riles up ours more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

readingatwork posted:

At a certain point you just have to step back and let the Nazi win and hope that a decent primary candidate will show up in a few years. It sucks and you shouldn’t do it lightly but at the end of the day you can’t let your representatives keep stabbing you in the back over and over without consequences.

That asside, pinning your hopes on elections in a post escalator world is insanity. Both parties are bought off and don’t care if you live or die. If you want actual results only direct actions like protesting, organizing strikes, and generally making the lives of the comfortable and wealthy miserable will get you anywhere.

'But we won't get another Democrat in that state elected again ever!' is a poor argument when Manchin already doesn't bother to vote with the caucus in the first place.

• Locked thread