Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

God, Syndicate was so creatively bankrupt. Take over all 7/8 districts by doing the same 5 repetitive tasks like in AC1. I hated Ned and Robert because the only to get their rewards was to do the same randomly-generated missions over and over. The story had no arc of development and was told out of order for some reason. Black Flag's plot was a load of rambling pirate-nonsense and Templar-treasure, but the real treat was Edward realizing what a poo poo he is, and how the pirate-life is just a fad.

VVV: Evie didn't have the muscle-mass she should have given her wrestling prowess.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noirex
May 30, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

From the Rock Paper Shotgun review-in-progress:

Well drat, I just started so haven't seen much of her fighting yet but all this sounds fantastic. Glad to see they're making progress from Evie who was great but didn't have Kassandra's type of sheer strength and brutality.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Inspector Gesicht posted:

God, Syndicate was so creatively bankrupt. Take over all 7/8 districts by doing the same 5 repetitive tasks like in AC1. I hated Ned and Robert because the only to get their rewards was to do the same randomly-generated missions over and over. The story had no arc of development and was told out of order for some reason. Black Flag's plot was a load of rambling pirate-nonsense and Templar-treasure, but the real treat was Edward realizing what a poo poo he is, and how the pirate-life is just a fad.

That reveal at the end was the second best thing in AC, with number 1 being when ezio kicks a pope.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What was the reveal, I don’t remember

I really loved Syndicate a lot. But I like steampunk so

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Yo, the boat gameplay in this loving owns.

Hurry up and get boat and also make sure you give yourself an all female crew cause their shanties really do own.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Empress Brosephine posted:

What was the reveal, I don’t remember

I really loved Syndicate a lot. But I like steampunk so

Kenway has a young daughter and quits being a pirate in order to raise her, him interacting with her on the boat during the credits is heartwarming

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I forgot to ask: Does this game have any online features like Origin did and their "find the killer of other players and butcher them for rewards"?

Deakul posted:

Yo, the boat gameplay in this loving owns.

Hurry up and get boat and also make sure you give yourself an all female crew cause their shanties really do own.
That's good to hear! Is there cool mission/secret/challenge stuff for the naval side of things? Black Flag had you hunting down other famous pirates I think, anything like that in Odyssey?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Pierson posted:

I forgot to ask: Does this game have any online features like Origin did and their "find the killer of other players and butcher them for rewards"?

That's good to hear! Is there cool mission/secret/challenge stuff for the naval side of things? Black Flag had you hunting down other famous pirates I think, anything like that in Odyssey?

The ghost ship :stare:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Pierson posted:

Oooooh yeah, you got legendary ships... bounties... underwater exploration... and probably tons of other poo poo. I literally just got the boat so I'm not sure what we got yet.

Anyone know where the hell the twitch prime loot is? It says I have it in the store but I don't actually see any of it in my inventory.
edit: wow nevermind, you actually had to claim it in the store screen.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 3, 2018

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

gently caress those legendary ships. I know videogames fudge the physics to make it more fun, but I don't believe a Man-O-War can swivel on a dime and rocket above the surface of the water

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Okay I have one criticism of this game. Mercenaries are loving bullshit and NOT fun. Gee, it sure is fun spending ten whole minutes whittling away on enemy with more health points than a WoW raid boss, which can kill me with 3 lucky hits.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

If my comp ran Odyssey fine with some settings tweaks, it can run this fine as well? GTX970 and an i7 - basically is there anything new in this game/engine that may suggest I buy it on PS4 instead?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Diogines posted:

Okay I have one criticism of this game. Mercenaries are loving bullshit and NOT fun. Gee, it sure is fun spending ten whole minutes whittling away on enemy with more health points than a WoW raid boss, which can kill me with 3 lucky hits.

Gets better when you start getting better gear, at least to me.

First few mercs were exactly as you described, then I leveled a bit and got better gear and while they are still stronger than normal enemies they ain't quite the damage sponges they used to be. If it makes any difference I am playing on hard mode.

Last play session I wound up fighting 3 mercs at once and the whole fight took about 10~ minutes to play out and it was a blast cause I was dodging and parrying everything like a motherfucker, waiting for that brief moment where I could get a hit in :black101:

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Evil Canadian posted:

First few mercs were exactly as you described, then I leveled a bit and got better gear and while they are still stronger than normal enemies they ain't quite the damage sponges they used to be. If it makes any difference I am playing on hard mode.

Last play session I wound up fighting 3 mercs at once and the whole fight took about 10~ minutes to play out and it was a blast cause I was dodging and parrying everything like a motherfucker, waiting for that brief moment where I could get a hit in :black101:
Any suggestions on which combat abilities are worth it?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Diogines posted:

Are they above your level? I tried fighting the the first merc (level 5) at level 3 and had the experience you’re describing; I believe the game expects you to level up before facing them though.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Diogines posted:

I want to be up further in the combat tree than I am, but I am too wishy washy and picking from everything.

That said, of the initial group of combat offerings, the bull rush is easily the best move (to me anyway) as it does fair damage, and gives you room to breath. Usually knocks down who it hits and is great crowd control. Its the main reason I won that 3 merc fight without gaming the system.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Are they above your level? I tried fighting the the first merc (level 5) at level 3 and had the experience you’re describing; I believe the game expects you to level up before facing them though.
I am 9, they were 10. It was like bashing my face into a wall. 3 hits from them would kill me, I would need hundreds to kill them. When I finally got them really close to death after nearly ten minutes, they somehow got me through a parry and killed me. I killed a level 9 bounty hunter who was also bothering me, then the 10 showed up before I could confirm the kill so I ran off a bit and now, I can't confirm the kill. The prompt just does not come up when I sneak over to the corpse, which the 10 is also about standing near and won't leave.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Diogines posted:

the spartan kick obviously

teleport assassination seems great too though I haven't had the chance to play around with it yet. Otherwise, you can wave poison or fire weapons around - ehhhh. The heal's probs pretty useful as well.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Diogines posted:

I am 9, they were 10. It was like bashing my face into a wall. 3 hits from them would kill me, I would need hundreds to kill them. When I finally got them really close to death after nearly ten minutes, they somehow got me through a parry and killed me. I killed a level 9 bounty hunter who was also bothering me, then the 10 showed up before I could confirm the kill so I ran off a bit and now, I can't confirm the kill. The prompt just does not come up when I sneak over to the corpse, which the 10 is also about standing near and won't leave.

I haven’t been able to confirm it myself yet but I suspect that the game takes a hardline “Mercs will stomp you if they outlevel you, don’t even try” approach. But if they still gently caress you up like that when you’re the same level as them then yeah that’s kinda lovely

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I killed the 9 without any issue. The 10 was effectively invincible.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Diogines posted:

I killed the 9 without any issue. The 10 was effectively invincible.
....aaaaand I burned two barrels to finish a quest which made me 10. Suddenly the immortal demi goddess became a mortal woman and I killed her like any other lieutenant. I guess the Human Growth Hormone of Hercules +8 must have been in those barrels I burned?

Edit: Apparently I was 8 when I first fought them, so I killed the 9 without a problem but the 10 was effectively immortal, until I also hit 9.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 3, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

black.lion posted:

If my comp ran Odyssey fine with some settings tweaks, it can run this fine as well? GTX970 and an i7 - basically is there anything new in this game/engine that may suggest I buy it on PS4 instead?

Odyssey runs a lot better on my system than Origins did at launch. I have a 980ti and i5 4750 with 1440p monitor, getting 45--55fps out in the open on Very High settings, 60+fps indoors, with occasional dips into the upper 30s in towns and areas with lots of particle effects like torches.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I am not to far in the game that gaunter O dim like motherfucker epenor just betrayed me but do the side quests get more detailed? most of the ones outside starter island, i have seen are just open world checklist types. i liked the various narrative ones like origins even if they were simple.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Odyssey runs a lot better on my system than Origins did at launch. I have a 980ti and i5 4750 with 1440p monitor, getting 45--55fps out in the open on Very High settings, 60+fps indoors, with occasional dips into the upper 30s in towns and areas with lots of particle effects like torches.

:black101: NOICE I don't have a 1440p monitor and I was cranking out 60-70 fps on High settings so hoping I can do the same here

Sorry if this is covered a ton upthread, but are there any significant changes from Origins in terms of combat skills/weapon choice/combat generally? I liked Origins combat quite a bit, just curious if they've tried to "improve" on it at all.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Diogines posted:

Evil Canadian posted:

I've killed something like 30 mercs by this point and it varies. Some I can one-shot assassinate and be on with my life. Others take a lot of doing. One was especially tough - didn't help that he has like a dozen of the city guard around him, but he himself hits like a train with fire melee and bombs, and he has more health than God. Was responsible for my first & only death in Odyssey. After the reload I cleared the guards out of the area, then played cat and mouse around a half-built ship so I could keep sneak attacking him.

black.lion posted:

Sorry if this is covered a ton upthread, but are there any significant changes from Origins in terms of combat skills/weapon choice/combat generally? I liked Origins combat quite a bit, just curious if they've tried to "improve" on it at all.

Yes, tons.

1) Can't turtle behind a shield anymore - gotta dodge/parry
2) Can have 4 melee and 4 ranged special attacks equipped at any time, then switch to 4 others with a couple button presses
3) The special abilities are exaggerated and in some cases specialized (remove someone's shield, for example)
4) Itemization can get wild - there's armor sets and engraving (add a perk to weapons/armor), and some of the later options are nuts (like turning normal arrows into fire arrows)

isk fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 3, 2018

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

My only problem with mercenaries is how they beeline on you from a crazy distance. I know that their new emergent nature would make it hard to do, but I wish they had set patrol routes like in Origins.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Fart City posted:

My only problem with mercenaries is how they beeline on you from a crazy distance. I know that their new emergent nature would make it hard to do, but I wish they had set patrol routes like in Origins.

Same. Got to the point where I pay off wanted levels as soon as they happen, and that I try to avoid accruing them in the first place.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I do like how the dialogue choices let you roleplay a little more than you would be able to otherwise.

One of the personality quirks of the Kassandra I'm playing is that she does not give a poo poo or believe in the gods, at all. At one point, I went up to a statue that people had left offerings at and stole all the offerings, then killed the nearby bandits. When I came back, there was a woman praying to the statue. I pretended to be the voice of gods speaking back to her (which, I guess is supposed to be a kind action but in the context of my character came across as some hilarious mocking).

She thanked me for my interest and left a small offering at the statue. Kassandra pondered that the money she'd taken off those bandits could probably help this woman out.

Instead I just stole the money she left at the statue and went on my merry way. Let this be a lesson, lady, the gods don't give a poo poo about you.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

isk posted:

Yes, tons.

1) Can't turtle behind a shield anymore - gotta dodge/parry
2) Can have 4 melee and 4 ranged special attacks equipped at any time, then switch to 4 others with a couple button presses
3) The special abilities are exaggerated and in some cases specialized (remove someone's shield, for example)
4) Itemization can get wild - there's armor sets and engraving (add a perk to weapons/armor), and some of the later options are nuts (like turning normal arrows into fire arrows)

So like, are there not shields AT ALL? I was sort of looking forward to rolling around w shield & spear like in my favorite movie, we all know the one - don't care abt turtling I just want the aesthetic (also, how early do you unlock leather-thong-only costume?? WHERE DOES THE HOOD COME FROM?!)

Special attacks and magical items all sound cool, let's go weekend!

How bad is the story? I mean honestly none of the stories except Pirate Creed interested me so I don't expect this one to, I found Origins' story to be bad (characterized by a lot of rage going in all directions, none of which I super connected with - that writing team could take some notes on exposition from the writer of John Wick, now THAT person knew how to get the viewer invested in mass murder!!!)

I won't be playing Kassandra btw, I have an ex w that name and she was not a badass at all and had only average sword skills, if that affects how good the story is going to be

isk
Oct 3, 2007

black.lion posted:

So like, are there not shields AT ALL? I was sort of looking forward to rolling around w shield & spear like in my favorite movie, we all know the one - don't care abt turtling I just want the aesthetic (also, how early do you unlock leather-thong-only costume?? WHERE DOES THE HOOD COME FROM?!)

Special attacks and magical items all sound cool, let's go weekend!

How bad is the story? I mean honestly none of the stories except Pirate Creed interested me so I don't expect this one to, I found Origins' story to be bad (characterized by a lot of rage going in all directions, none of which I super connected with - that writing team could take some notes on exposition from the writer of John Wick, now THAT person knew how to get the viewer invested in mass murder!!!)

I won't be playing Kassandra btw, I have an ex w that name and she was not a badass at all and had only average sword skills, if that affects how good the story is going to be

No shields for the player character, no. To each their own but I think it works (and I was skeptical before playing it). A hood is unlocked before leaving the first island and others drop or are sold in stores.

Story's been okay to good so far. The siblings give no fucks and the plot gets weird at times. Dialogue could've used another editing pass, and I think some of the reactivity to choices is bugged. It's early after release yet and we don't yet know how bugged things are.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Is anyone else having a poo poo ton of trouble with the Boar? I've left to relevel once and its still kicking my rear end. The loving pig adds...

edit: 20 tries later, finally.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 3, 2018

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

pro-tip: wearing a Mercenary breastplate and an Athenian belt gives Kassandra a distinctly Wonder Woman vibe

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Kassandra is my friend

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Between this and HZD, it is a golden age of sturdy heroines

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Ainsley McTree posted:

Between this and HZD, it is a golden age of sturdy heroines

at least Kassandra doesn't have the personality of a toaster

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Did anyone else fail the "ship came sailing" quest immediately because the escort I had to protect ran right into a group of sleeping guards and then just stood there doing nothing while they killed him.

I didn't even realize there was a quest until I met the quest giver later on and he told me to gently caress off.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Red Mundus posted:

Did anyone else fail the "ship came sailing" quest immediately because the escort I had to protect ran right into a group of sleeping guards and then just stood there doing nothing while they killed him.

I didn't even realize there was a quest until I met the quest giver later on and he told me to gently caress off.

Yes. Whoopsies! It was his own drat fault.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Does burning supplies etc change the progress of the story? I kinda want to side with one side of the conflict, but due to the completionist in me I just have to assault fortresses and burn stuff no matter who owns it.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

This game owns. Can't stop playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Welp my friend got me to pick this up by pitching this as 'boats are back as a major feature, also you can be a cool lady spartan kicking people in the face to death, plus you called Origins the best AC game and it's still fundamentally that'.

How supernatural does it get? The ads kinda implied poo poo like medusa and all are factors in the game but are they just Origins style 'oh gee the animus is goin nuts!!!!' one shot fun bits, or are they finally going full on 'yea fantasy poo poo happens in our world of magic aliens and poo poo'?