Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Groogy posted:

Oh wow I didn't expect you to accept it like that. Might get in, depends on quality and if we can fit it in time wise ourselves. We don't just copy paste someones else work in. Someone has to go through and verify it's up to snuff.

Don't worry, I am gonna do proper work on this. Make sure it isn't too easy to form (it is a midgame tag in my mind), and ensure they are not overpowered. Flavour text, NI names, etc. It is my fave nation from the older days, so I am gonna put some love into it.

I sorta feel like Hamburg is already somewhat overpowered, because I feel republics are very meta in this patch.

Also, on the Hamburg/Lubeck thing, I am thinking of suggesting an event which chooses your capital. You'll see where I am going with it in the final draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The whole Prussian Confederation thing is very poorly explained by the game. What the hell is it? Should Poland not declare war on the Teutonic Order in 1450?

edit: Also, next DLC will be a Spanish immersion pack. I was actually kinda hoping they'd give some more love to the HRE. Hopefully they do for the DLC after this, at least.

If they're focusing on Iberia next, that might also mean we'll get some colonization changes. What would people want changed with the colonization game? I can't think of any obvious changes off the top of my head.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 3, 2018

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
Main things I can think of are "rework overseas invasions so you don't have an insane ahistorical supply limit/might actually have to rely on local allies" and "give Spain some new events and disasters to simulate how hosed and unsustainable their empire eventually got"

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
so what's the new prussia race? buy neumark from the TO, smash pomerania, and then wait for AE to go down enough that you can take most of the TO provinces?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I hope they fix estate generation for the next patch. Having estates start at 80 influence makes it so you can't even do some basic estate interactions without first tanking their loyalty by revoking provinces from them. Portugal starts with every province but their capital and Evora (their worst province) with estates, which doesn't seem right at all. It took decades of constantly pissing off the estates before I could actually do anything productive with them.

That sounds p much like the late 15th century for a lot of Europe tbh

Another Person posted:

Don't worry, I am gonna do proper work on this. Make sure it isn't too easy to form (it is a midgame tag in my mind), and ensure they are not overpowered. Flavour text, NI names, etc. It is my fave nation from the older days, so I am gonna put some love into it.

I sorta feel like Hamburg is already somewhat overpowered, because I feel republics are very meta in this patch.

Also, on the Hamburg/Lubeck thing, I am thinking of suggesting an event which chooses your capital. You'll see where I am going with it in the final draft.

Republics got their base absolutism mega hosed again so IMO they're stictly worse than monarchies again, but at least you're not an idiot stupid fucker if you don't become a despotism the second the AoA starts.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

I hope they fix estate generation for the next patch. Having estates start at 80 influence makes it so you can't even do some basic estate interactions without first tanking their loyalty by revoking provinces from them. Portugal starts with every province but their capital and Evora (their worst province) with estates, which doesn't seem right at all. It took decades of constantly pissing off the estates before I could actually do anything productive with them.

I really like it. You have to fight for decades to centralize power. Much better than estates being lootboxes you punch once once and awhile.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

That sounds p much like the late 15th century for a lot of Europe tbh

Republics got their base absolutism mega hosed again so IMO they're stictly worse than monarchies again, but at least you're not an idiot stupid fucker if you don't become a despotism the second the AoA starts.

if you are going for world conquest sure absolutism rules, but republics are in a state where you can have 6/6/6 rulers all the goddamn time, especially hamburg and venice

just set focus to mil in 1444 and never take it off, and re-elect anyone 44 or younger. take the shorter term time reform. take the reform which boosts RT gain.

e; i haven't fiddled with the new venetian gov so it might not be great for them any more

Another Person fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 3, 2018

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Wait, Scandinavia doesn't have any special ideas or events?

This is even more shocking than when I found out they had Iceland and the Faroes as "Norwegian" which is a cultural travesty on a massive scale

How is this even possible????

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i'm going through the event file for the synthetics

# Mayans open a temporal rift to fight the synthetics

add_country_modifier = {
name = mayan_ufo_support
duration = -1

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sephyr posted:

It's a shame you can't forge claims along the borders of vassals/partners; it would be really nice to get to eat some of Novgorod before Muscovy gets it all.
If you have the right DLC you can mark land as vital concern or whatever and your subjects have a chance to fabricate claims that you can use as your cassus belli.

edit: Also, next DLC will be a Spanish immersion pack. I was actually kinda hoping they'd give some more love to the HRE. Hopefully they do for the DLC after this, at least.
Where did you hear this? I really think Spain needs some love after so many nearby areas have gotten love recently.

If they're focusing on Iberia next, that might also mean we'll get some colonization changes. What would people want changed with the colonization game? I can't think of any obvious changes off the top of my head.
I would like to see something change with regard to how colonists work. I think its really weird that each colony grows at a set rate. Therefore, I would like Colonial Growth be a national income rate (x colonists/month). This would be due in large part because of if you spam 8 colonies when you can only support 4, the only drawback is paying more....each colony still grows at x/month. If instead your country had a pool of colonists that were distributed among however many colonies you had growing, colonies would grow slower when you have 8 compared to your soft cap of X.

If you have a national pool that the colonists are drawn from, you could have more factors affect the 'push' and 'pull'.
Pull items would be factors in the colonies that draw colonists (either increase the nations global "colonist income" rate or the attraction of a specific colony). Some ideas are: "gold discovered", "great wine growing climate", "abundant food"
Push items would be things that increase the nations global "colonist income" rate. Some ideas are: low stability, low religious unity, war exhaustion, unrest, high corruption

In less "Major overhaul" territory, I think it would be neat if you could chose to move your colonist over one province instead of being forced to recall the colonist to the other side of the globe only to then send it out on another 400 day trip (the 400 day trip thing is part of why I like my suggestion above, too).

Having a system like that would also not necessarily make you feel like you have to always have the max number of colonies going, because if you only have one, thats the only place your colonists could go.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

oddium posted:

i'm going through the event file for the synthetics

# Mayans open a temporal rift to fight the synthetics

add_country_modifier = {
name = mayan_ufo_support
duration = -1

Would be better as someone in the la plata region imo

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Grizzwold posted:

Would be better as someone in the la plata region imo

Need communal governments first.

hehehehe, mods

E: Yeah, I'm dumb enough to do it.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 3, 2018

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Another Person posted:

if you are going for world conquest sure absolutism rules, but republics are in a state where you can have 6/6/6 rulers all the goddamn time, especially hamburg and venice

just set focus to mil in 1444 and never take it off, and re-elect anyone 44 or younger. take the shorter term time reform. take the reform which boosts RT gain.

e; i haven't fiddled with the new venetian gov so it might not be great for them any more

Yeah republics are cool but you can get some bad rear end monarchs with aggressive disowning. And if you don't switch away from the shorter terms reform your absolutism is even worse, so that sucks.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Where did you hear this? I really think Spain needs some love after so many nearby areas have gotten love recently.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-2nd-of-october-2018.1121836/

Pictured is the Gulf of Cádiz.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Uhhh, wow, what are the best Random New World mods that work with the current version of the game?

Because this stuff is really anemic and bland, just a buncha random islands and one continent and I have to start the game to check that out? One good thing was that it was a lot more east focused but I'd want something that I could, you know, customize a bit more. (Like, I'd want the south to be larger and reach further, force all the wacky ones like Vinland, Atlantis or whatever in) and things like that

Also feels weird there isn't a "Form Israel" decision for Jewish nations in this game. I can live with not having access to the other CK2 tags to throw in there (Weird but whatever) but that one at least seems like something that should be in there.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ah, I missed that DD. I'm used to seeing them linked as soon as they are posted in other Paradox threads :v:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Uhhh, wow, what are the best Random New World mods that work with the current version of the game?

Because this stuff is really anemic and bland, just a buncha random islands and one continent and I have to start the game to check that out? One good thing was that it was a lot more east focused but I'd want something that I could, you know, customize a bit more. (Like, I'd want the south to be larger and reach further, force all the wacky ones like Vinland, Atlantis or whatever in) and things like that

Also feels weird there isn't a "Form Israel" decision for Jewish nations in this game. I can live with not having access to the other CK2 tags to throw in there (Weird but whatever) but that one at least seems like something that should be in there.

I'm not sure what's been updated, but given the RNW hasn't been touched for a while (ever), I suspect most of them work even if they're a version or two back.

At the very least you want one that sets it to increase the number continents/landmass. If you want more wacky stuff that's actually an in-game setting somewhere that you can set from never to rare to frequent.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

The RNW was massively updated at one point.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Wait, Scandinavia doesn't have any special ideas or events?

This is even more shocking than when I found out they had Iceland and the Faroes as "Norwegian" which is a cultural travesty on a massive scale

How is this even possible????

Never, ever press the button to form Scandinavia, it has always been a trap. You lose all the nice events from being Denmark or even worse, Sweden.

And provinces at the start of the game should be estate free, at least add a button to the game creation screen for it.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah republics are cool but you can get some bad rear end monarchs with aggressive disowning. And if you don't switch away from the shorter terms reform your absolutism is even worse, so that sucks.

some bad rear end monarchs, or 2 eras of 6/6/6 badboys. its worth it early game, you get such a staggering tech lead, and so much dev. also, running the 'lock in mil in 1444 and always strengthen' strat means that when AoA hits, you are likely to hit your admittedly small absolutism cap very quickly. at the very least, it is worth being a republic until that point imo.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TTBF posted:

The RNW was massively updated at one point.

And it's still pretty poo poo. Almost always a smaller landmass than the actual new world, and often pretty ugly too. Plus it's not fun starting up as a colonizer with RNW on only to find a few hours later that your avenues for colonization are extremely limited and you have no trade routes leading to your home node. I had an England game once with RNW on where I fought my best HYW ever and had to give it up because the RNW was utter trash for me.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Another Person posted:

some bad rear end monarchs, or 2 eras of 6/6/6 badboys. its worth it early game, you get such a staggering tech lead, and so much dev. also, running the 'lock in mil in 1444 and always strengthen' strat means that when AoA hits, you are likely to hit your admittedly small absolutism cap very quickly. at the very least, it is worth being a republic until that point imo.

The most broken form of this is playing an OPM Shiite Republic for the Ideas Guy cheevo too, lock in the +.5 RT school, skip the RT reform for dynasties instead to guarantee younguns, and roll hogwild.

And it's still pretty poo poo. Almost always a smaller landmass than the actual new world, and often pretty ugly too. Plus it's not fun starting up as a colonizer with RNW on only to find a few hours later that your avenues for colonization are extremely limited and you have no trade routes leading to your home node. I had an England game once with RNW on where I fought my best HYW ever and had to give it up because the RNW was utter trash for me.

If you had a HYW that good, just skip colonizing and become Lord Europa Britannia.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Tbh, I like that the random new world can gently caress up traditional colonisers: I liked Corean Alaska and Malian Brazil a lot more than the same stupid fuckers colonizing teh same loving land every time

It's just that it's way, way less dev rich, too fond of bad lovely islands and new world nations are just random and bad and dumb instead of being cool things with real ideas like the Synthetics

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
They really should do a France update. In 7 out of the last 7 games I played France has eaten poo poo pretty much from ther get go, being eaten by Spain, england and Burgundo in turn. Allying them is basically suicide.

It's a weird thing to see for someone who started playing when France was the end game boss.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I had a game as colonial Dai Viet where the entire RNW flowed into Australia or Japan and nothing flowed into Europe at all. That was good.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I honestly wished there was more chances of doing "custom new world" because drat, there's console commands for some of this stuff but it's super opaque

James Garfield posted:

I had a game as colonial Dai Viet where the entire RNW flowed into Australia or Japan and nothing flowed into Europe at all. That was good.
See, this is some good stuff.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sephyr posted:

They really should do a France update. In 7 out of the last 7 games I played France has eaten poo poo pretty much from ther get go, being eaten by Spain, england and Burgundo in turn. Allying them is basically suicide.

It's a weird thing to see for someone who started playing when France was the end game boss.

This seems not at all in line with what I've seen in my games and what I've seen in other people's games. France does at least okay in like 95% of the games I've seen. Do you play with lucky nations turned off?

James Garfield posted:

These are neat twists but they shouldn't come with the random chance of wasting hours of the player's time.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 4, 2018

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

use the one mod that changes the americas into a giant rotated falklands. now that’s paper

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
France definitely has a higher chance of eating poo poo in the HYW than they used to. England’s missions are so good that even if the French do okay in the war over Maine, they can still get really dismantled by an opportunistic England if they do poorly after that. I wouldn’t say they die 100% of the time though, or even 50. If they can get a couple of ideas so they have Elan, they’re gonna be around for the long haul.

If the Spanish nations get buffed significantly then maybe the French should get a bit of a boost too though. Regardless I would like to see a bit more meat on the French mission tree, it’s ok but not as ridiculously good as England’s is.

skasion fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 4, 2018

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

skasion posted:

France definitely has a higher chance of eating poo poo in the HYW than they used to. England’s mission’s are so good that even if the French do okay in the war over Maine, they can still get really dismantled by an opportunistic England if they do poorly after that. I wouldn’t say they die 100% of the time though, or even 50. If they can get a couple of ideas so they have Elan, they’re gonna be around for the long haul.

If the Spanish nations get buffed significantly then maybe the French should get a bit of a boost too though. Regardless I would like to see a bit more meat on the French mission tree, it’s ok but not as ridiculously good as England’s is.

Make Elan France's first NI.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Wow, that was a Poland game that imploded. Denmark rushed Luvonia faster than I could because my dumb Lithuanian big brother wouldn't get claims. Managed to eat a bit of Bohemia and Hungary while waiting for tech level 10 to form Commonwealth, along with all of Teutonics and even a no-CB war on Crimea when it was left without allies.

Reach tech level 10, merce into a big beautiful blob. then it all explodes into a billion revolts that drain my manpower. Just as I am getting that under control, Ottos declare jihad on me. I manage to take all of their european holdings, including Constantinople, but they keep crushing Austria, Brandenburg and Burgindy, my allies, and running up the war score like mad.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Another Person posted:

You don't actually average anywhere near 6/6/6 stats due to deaths and having to 'stat up' your rulers. When you're really rolling the disown train it's easy to never have a monarch worse than about 4/4/4 and you don't have to spend mil points on beefing up legitimacy.

I'm not saying that republics are bad and they are definitely much stronger than pre-Dharma but they had a short period last patch where they were totally amazing and that's gone now due to the absolutism and nepotism nerfs.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
Thanks to some of the DLC chat in this thread or the other Paradox one, I found out that there is a drat auto-diplomat thing I didn't realize I had. Goddamnit. This is great.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

RabidWeasel posted:

You don't actually average anywhere near 6/6/6 stats due to deaths and having to 'stat up' your rulers. When you're really rolling the disown train it's easy to never have a monarch worse than about 4/4/4 and you don't have to spend mil points on beefing up legitimacy.
Goddamn, I wish. I abuse Disown its so I'm not stuck with a 0/1/3 and I end up with a 2/1/2 instead.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

I agree it’s still bad but the assertion they’d never touch it again is a bit dumb in light of the complete rewrite they gave it years after the fact.

Plus I still think it’d be fine with better tiles, there just aren’t enough right now. No reason they have to be ugly or tiny because of the system.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

-Dethstryk- posted:

Thanks to some of the DLC chat in this thread or the other Paradox one, I found out that there is a drat auto-diplomat thing I didn't realize I had. Goddamnit. This is great.

It's seriously so good. Just set it to butter up outraged countries and you'll get way fewer coalitions against you.

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm not saying that republics are bad and they are definitely much stronger than pre-Dharma but they had a short period last patch where they were totally amazing and that's gone now due to the absolutism and nepotism nerfs.

This has not been the case for me. 4/4/4 or better rulers are still relatively uncommon even with disinheriting. Someone ran the numbers once, and with old style republics and with shittier RT gain and no guaranteed young candidates, you still averaged higher ruler stats than in monarchies with disinherit abuse. The recent buffs have made them even more consistent. I doubt anyone's ran the numbers recently, but I wouldn't be surprised if the average ruler stats pretty heavily favored republics.

Republics are legitimately way better than monarchies at generating monarch points, even taking into account strengthening government. The only serious consideration now is absolutism.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 4, 2018

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
It's probably also worth noting that Republics can get nearly twice as many Reforms. (Though, if you switch from another govtype, this won't actually happen until late game since you lose a bunch of reform progress... it'd be nice if govswitch was tier 5 or 6 instead of 7 for monarchies, imo.)

Is Cultural Sufferance still a big get? I remember it being a MONSTROUS upgrade playing Burgundy -> Netherlands a few updates back.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Have they turned off the ability to use older versions?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

THE BAR posted:

You need to go to their site and do some dumb law stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

It's seriously so good. Just set it to butter up outraged countries and you'll get way fewer coalitions against you.

This has not been the case for me. 4/4/4 or better rulers are still relatively uncommon even with disinheriting. Someone ran the numbers once, and with old style republics and with shittier RT gain and no guaranteed young candidates, you still averaged higher ruler stats than in monarchies with disinherit abuse. The recent buffs have made them even more consistent. I doubt anyone's ran the numbers recently, but I wouldn't be surprised if the average ruler stats pretty heavily favored republics.

Republics are legitimately way better than monarchies at generating monarch points, even taking into account strengthening government. The only serious consideration now is absolutism.

I agree, I just think that the weak points of republics (low absolutism cap, takes too long to unlock reforms) outweigh the increased MP generation. If you can guarantee that you're a revolutionary republic with fully unlocked reforms then sure it's great; their reforms are also generally better than monarchy ones, even if you ignore all of the must haves which increase absolutism. But I also think that people generally underestimate how often your uber stadtholders die at inconvenient times, and how many useless garbage babies you can churn through if you really try hard to abuse it.

I don't really like how republics are balanced by suddenly becoming relatively much weaker after a certain point in the midgame, but that's mostly down to the really bad design of absolutism.

With that said, now that I've argued about this I have a hankering to do another republic game. Do you lose reforms if you become a monarchy via being a despotism?

THE BAR posted:

You need to do some weird forum thing to opt into old versions now since they weren't designed to be natively GDPR compliant.