Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Kaysette posted:

Here's a good write-up about the possible origins of the "Vancian" system. Like was said above, 5e modifies it a bit but it makes sense if you think about the historical wargaming origins of D&D. Spells and slots are just ammunition.

This is really good.

Although DnD going away from it makes playing a wizard easier so I'm not complaining about this being left behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
It would be loving awesome of Clerics got to alter their cleric level based cantrips on a long rest just to get one over on wizards.

It would probably increase the amount PC Clerics who take spare dying for any reason other than "Our GM's got old habits so they keep making us roll when we use healer's kits to stabilize dying people". A problem my friends thankfully don't have.

I'm glad the cantrip itself exists because wargames roots chat reminds me that some guy able to cast infinity "Stop bleeding to death, idiot" without any supplies is real, REAL good lore wise.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 3, 2018

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I would like something where you can cast as many spells as you want in a day, it just becomes more and more dangerous to do so. Because you're pulling raw power from the astral plane, and that's tricky, and you might attract the attention of something nasty that lives there. I think that's more interesting than "you have two fireball bullets today".

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Imagined posted:

I would like something where you can cast as many spells as you want in a day, it just becomes more and more dangerous to do so. Because you're pulling raw power from the astral plane, and that's tricky, and you might attract the attention of something nasty that lives there. I think that's more interesting than "you have two fireball bullets today".

Its called being a wild mage where it's interesting for you and not for anyone else

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Imagined posted:

I mean. Just take a look at wild sorcerers. Or the average overcompensation to Infernal/Fiend style warlock players.

"GM thinks they are obligated to gently caress with you because the rules/Vague lore" is already a thing when you DO have spell limits. Even some of the most funhaver mindset friends I know had to get over that hump even in 4th edition.

So all :airquote: "limitless" spells would do is encourage them to double down on that after far less castings than the average magic man.

mastershakeman posted:

Its called being a wild mage where it's interesting for you and not for anyone else

Section Z fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 3, 2018

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Shadowrun's magic system was kinda like that, last I checked. Casting a spell basically hits you with an attack for subdual damage which you then resist with your willpower. If you cast the spell stronger you take more damage. If you cast it TOO strong the damage rolls over to physical. Either way any damage that sticks then adds to the difficulty of your ongoing rolls as you get more exhausted/injured

but if you want you can basically cast spells every turn until you die

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I've seen it in 3rd party / homebrew stuff but the idea of sorcs being CON based and spending hit die to power up spells or recharge slots gives them way more flavor than that drat zany d100 table. Metamagic is cool but it seems like the class needs more to set it apart since picking specific spells for specific slots isn't a thing anymore.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Imagined posted:

This works if by "dangerous" you mean cumulative negative effects, like WFRP3 and corruption. If there's no downside until SUDDENLY YOU EXPLODE LOL then that's lovely for numerous reasons.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Yeah I was pulling from Earthdawn for that idea, which is Shadowrun-adjacent.

Wild Magic, if implemented, is exactly the same (tiny) odds every single cast. It's not interesting because it's just a monkeycheese fumble. There's no element of dramatic "press your luck" calculus. It doesn't build tension. It doesn't create a story. IMHO

In Earthdawn it is corruption. The astral plane is polluted with evil and you might get marked by a horror if you aren't careful.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
If you have magic you have to either limit it somehow or make it weak. Wild Magic might be a dumb idea but daily spell slots are the most boring, least flavorful way to do it. Maybe keep the spell slots and that represents spell matrixes and safe preparations, but if you run out of slots you can say gently caress it, we'll do it live but it's super dangerous.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 3, 2018

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Dragonatrix posted:

5e kinda does and doesn't though. The issue in question is one that 5e avoids, because you don't prepare spells in specific slots. You just prepare it and can use it any number of terms unlike older editions where you had to prepare it the number of times you want to use it. Odds are good that if folks are just casting a spell once and then not using it again when they really should/could, it's because they're forgetting, or unaware, this is one of the things 5e managed to do right.

You're right, I did forget about that

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

poorlifedecision posted:

You can use spells multiple times, you simply only have enough slots to cast a certain levels of spells a certain number of times. It's a way to limit powerful spell usage as a gameplay mechanic. Lore-wise it's based around the idea of keeping this intricate set of words and motions that alters reality in your head all the time and then at a moment's notice pulling the trigger with a short set of words or motions is taxing and can't be used infinitely. The ability to conjure of a gigantic explosion of fire takes up a lot of space in a wizard's brain and they can't hold a million reality altering effects in there infinitely.

Is "spell slots aren't slots that you put spells in" more or less dumb than a bonus action not being "an action, as a bonus"?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Jeffrey's wild magic:
- The level 1+ spells you get are randomly rolled from your classes list. You don't get to pick. Your DM will remove the dumb/bad ones.
- They no longer have levels, you can cast any spell at level 1, always counts as a level 1 + clvl/2 spell.
- You can cast caster level spells/day, plus cantrips. You know 2 + caster level spells and roll for a new one each level.
- If you gotta cast beyond that, you can, but roll a miscast save with your spellcasting ability to see if it messes up. If it does, mostly the spell works fine but something weird happens that's bad for you and thematically related to the spell. (Ideally this involves an effect for each one but you'd have to think those up based on the spells your characters roll.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 3, 2018

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
They called them slots because quickbar was too on the nose.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The favorite game I play is has been greatly enhanced by wild magic with a custom chart. I believe they use a d1000 and it's caused some hosed up poo poo to happen (that's been good for the narrative). I am not sure I'd like to play with a stranger doing this though.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Why are bonus actions not still called minor actions because they're an action you can use to do a lesser than than you can do with a full action.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Glagha posted:

Why are bonus actions not still called minor actions because they're an action you can use to do a lesser than than you can do with a full action.
Because 4th edition called them Minor actions and calling it something else will appease the grognards somehow.

See also: "Oh it's not an 'at-will'. It's a 'cantrip' Totally different."

I would not be surprised if this is literally the reason

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 3, 2018

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
(like i've played two sessions of this game, one ended abruptly however) how many sessions will it take until it's okay to try a harder to understand class? i had so many ideas for warlocks and wizards at some point. clearly from these post wizards are semi-easier to understand now.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
IMHO it would be a dick GM to not let a brand new player reroll at least once in a given campaign if they're not enjoying their current class or feel like it's not a good fit. Earlier would be better than later, too, because it would be less complicated.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Section Z posted:

Because 4th edition called them Minor actions and calling it something else will appease the grognards somehow.

See also: "Oh it's not an 'at-will'. It's a 'cantrip' Totally different."

I would not be surprised if this is literally the reason
All while calling the rogue's extra damage a "sneak attack*" do the exact opposite for the same result.

*actually just an extra damage roll, not an attack.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Jeffrey's wild magic:
- The level 1+ spells you get are randomly rolled from your classes list. You don't get to pick. Your DM will remove the dumb/bad ones.
- They no longer have levels, you can cast any spell at level 1, always counts as a level (1 + clvl) spell.
- You can cast caster level spells/day, plus cantrips. You know 2 + caster level spells and roll for a new one each level.
- If you gotta cast beyond that, you can, but roll a miscast save with your spellcasting ability to see if it messes up. If it does, mostly the spell works fine but something weird happens that's bad for you and thematically related to the spell. (Ideally this involves an effect for each one but you'd have to think those up based on the spells your characters roll.)
Splicer's wild magic
- Your base spells are slightly worse than everyone else's spells.
- There are several short, well-curated lists of exclusively positive effects that can occur in various situations.
- One of these situations is when you cast a spell.
- Your spells when combined with their random effects are marginally better than everyone else's spells.
- There are possibly also several short, well-curated lists of exclusively negative effects that can occur in various situations, but these are only bad for you personally and never campaign changing. Nobody else has to deal with your bullshit.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Imagined posted:

mastershakeman posted:

This poo poo sucks even for the person who's doing it, honestly, although "for everyone else" is also a significant downside.

Generally speaking it's not great that some characters have effects so powerful they have to be limited in some special, exceptional way while others don't. (Not to mention that sometimes those limits don't actually work the way the designer thinks they do and then you get powerful effects effectively for free, which isn't good either.)

But at least Vancian casting is deterministic, it responds well to planning and rationing, rewards you for having a good sense of how dangerous an encounter is and the amount of resources it calls for, etc.

Wild magic is either "gently caress you for playing a wizard", which sucks because build choices shouldn't be punishments, or "you get to be better than everyone else, but eventually this will cause your character to explode" which is bad for the same reasons Vancian casting is bad, but without the good points I just mentioned.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
You guys are missing the most obvious solution. EVERYONE plays a wild magic sorceror with the understanding that people are going to die and it could be anyone at any time

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

So just... Warhammer's magic.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

clusterfuck posted:

Hey champ, please do! Tier 4:Legend and Tier 5:True Mojo are the efforts at giving martials narrative affecting abilities analagous to divine intervention or wish. You can see from the changelog the other things added. I'm assuming you get updates form the comp copy, if u don't let me know.

It's no problem, originally I was kinda ambivalent to the idea of giving maneuvers to every martial class but I believe I am warming to the idea. I did notice for Tier 1 Maneuvers you have some reserved for certain fighting styles but didn't include one for every fighting style, I'd look into that if it were me to make sure I had at least one exclusive to each style. Ideally I think I'd like a little more variety and exclusivity between maneuvers, i.e. you could have some maneuvers involving spell slots and the like for paladins/eldritch knights, though that's a lot of work. Just some brainstorming and want to reaffirm I believe the concept is solid and you can do a lot with this. In slightly more specific comments, I saw Mojo and I was curious as to how you use it, does it require an action? Bonus action? Is Perpetual Leverage a passive effect or is the first paragraph only intended to apply to the next few lines?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

You guys are missing the most obvious solution. EVERYONE plays a wild magic sorceror with the understanding that people are going to die and it could be anyone at any time

If you want that experience just play dark heresy and require everyone play psykers

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Yeah my rules assume everyone is playing a magic guy.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Glagha posted:

If I recall it was to try and "sell" bonus actions as if they were not "necessary" to try and move away from the perceived mentality in 4E DnD that if you weren't doing something with your minor action you were wasting it. Now that it's a "bonus", supposedly we're supposed to be okay if we don't have one. I don't think it actually fooled anyone who cared to start with.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Toplowtech posted:

All while calling the rogue's extra damage a "sneak attack*" do the exact opposite for the same result.

*actually just an extra damage roll, not an attack.

"Sneak attack" pisses me off so much. I didn't realize until 4th level in my LMoP campaign for newbies that the rogue thought he always had to be sneaking to use it. I know the rules spell out the conditions when it triggers clearly but the name is so misleading.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Imagined posted:

Yeah I was pulling from Earthdawn for that idea, which is Shadowrun-adjacent.

Wild Magic, if implemented, is exactly the same (tiny) odds every single cast. It's not interesting because it's just a monkeycheese fumble. There's no element of dramatic "press your luck" calculus. It doesn't build tension. It doesn't create a story. IMHO

In Earthdawn it is corruption. The astral plane is polluted with evil and you might get marked by a horror if you aren't careful.

Rolemaster had some good press your luck stuff, you could speed up spells, cast over your level or while stunned and there was a juicy spell fumble table with a range of consequences.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

i think the end point of this logic is just Mage: The Awakening, which admittedly is pretty rad

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Koreban’s spellcasting modifications:

quote:

Blood Sacrifice
A spellcaster, having spent all of their available energies may be required to, out of desperation, sacrifice some of their own life essence to cast a needed spell. This Blood Sacrifice is known to exist by most people educated in Arcane and Religious studies, however it is never taught openly and those found to be using these techniques are often subject to magical sanctions or mob justice from zealous followers of Enyo’s cult.

•A spellcaster may spend ​a number of hit dice​up to their P​roficiency modifier​ to restore a ​single spell slot​ of a spell level ​equal to the number of hit dice spent.​ The spellcaster takes ​Psychic damage​ equal to the ​result of the dice roll​ of the hit dice spent in this way. This damage is n​ot subject to resistances or immunities​ from any sources, including magical items.

The spellcaster must use the reclaimed spell slot to cast a memorized spell​ from their spell list ​immediately​, resolving all effects of the spell before immediately taking one level of Exhaustion (and if applicable, ending their turn in the combat round.)
If the spell cast requires a ​Magical Attack roll,​ increase the ​critical hit range​ of the spell by the ​Proficiency modifier​ of the spellcaster, (At levels 1 - 4 a Wizard with +2 Proficiency would naturally Crit on d20 result of 20+, which then becomes Crit on d20 result of 18+). Spells that require a S​pell Save DC​ have the D​C increased​ by the ​Proficiency modifier​ of the caster.

•If the character casts a spell that comes from the spellcaster’s native area of study​ (Divine Domain for Clerics, Circle for Druids, Oath for Paladins, Bloodline for Sorcerers, Patron for Warlocks, and Tradition for Wizards) the character may c​hoose to add​ their S​pellcasting Modifier​ instead of their ​Proficiency modifier​ to the critical hit range or Spell Save DC.

I have something similar for melee characters because I wanted hit dice to be more useful.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Is there a resource I could look at besides the obvious in the DM Guide for getting your own campaign off the ground? Never ran a campaign before, but I'm going to give it a shot with 5e.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Shinjobi posted:

Is there a resource I could look at besides the obvious in the DM Guide for getting your own campaign off the ground? Never ran a campaign before, but I'm going to give it a shot with 5e.

Some people here hate him, but Matt Colville’s Running the Game series on YouTube is one of the best resources for babbys first DM game.

There are 60 or so in the series now. Some are more relevant than others, but I’ve never felt like it wasn’t worth the 20 minutes to hear him talk about some aspect of the game and raise some novel ideas (in the sense that a lot of what informs his style is from older editions, but the ideas aren’t always presented or presented clearly in 5e).

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Has anyone tried this OneNote template GM'ing 5th? Seems pretty nice:

http://www.cryrid.com/digitaldnd/

Bumped into it looking for some old software in the Pathfinder OP

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Azhais posted:

Has anyone tried this OneNote template GM'ing 5th? Seems pretty nice:

http://www.cryrid.com/digitaldnd/

Bumped into it looking for some old software in the Pathfinder OP

I've been using OneNote this whole time so I'll check in on this, looks interesting! Some of it will be redundant with Roll20's character sheets but encounter tracking and the like might help me from forgetting key things like legendary actions and reactions (which I am very bad at)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pleads posted:

I've been using OneNote this whole time so I'll check in on this, looks interesting! Some of it will be redundant with Roll20's character sheets but encounter tracking and the like might help me from forgetting key things like legendary actions and reactions (which I am very bad at)

Yeah, I was looking for Masterplan which appears to have vanished from the internet and OneNote (with a recommendation for that guy's template) and "The Keep" came up as useful alternatives.

Also hoping that this guy:
https://www.reddit.com/r/worldbuilding/comments/9gdp1q/i_couldnt_find_the_perfect_worldbuilding_tool_for/

keeps at it, cause that looks like it could be amazing

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Friends I'm a level 1 rogue gnome that just hit level 2 and am debating multiclassing into wizard full time. Can I still wear light armor? Is there any real downside to a wizard with 1 level of rogue?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Regardless of anything else doing it and calling yourself a wizrogue is a very cool and good and also very gnome-like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

RC Cola posted:

Friends I'm a level 1 rogue gnome that just hit level 2 and am debating multiclassing into wizard full time. Can I still wear light armor? Is there any real downside to a wizard with 1 level of rogue?

You can still wear light armor but you can also just cast Mage Armor, which is better.

The downside is you are a level behind on your wizwong progression, for not much in return.