Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BurntCornMuffin posted:

But is it okay to put pineapples on it?

Only if you have outside pineapples for your cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

fool_of_sound posted:

Only if you wipe front to back

While standing.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Part of the reason for the toxicity of tradgames is that as far as I could tell SA really was like the only bastion of 4e defenders on the internet. I genuinely had not seen another online discussion space where it was widely liked. (I also had never met an IRL person who liked it). This created a paranoid siege mentality, where enemies were everywhere (paizo astroturfers!) and every criticism was to be snuffed out with immediate dogpiles of canned, dogmatic defensive responses, and accusations of arguing in bad faith. (You never bought the books, you just believe nerd hivemind lies!) You can see some of this in this very thread!

This sounds ridiculous but actually makes more sense when you know that most other online tabletop discussion sites are full of the most ill adjusted shitheads imaginable. RPGcodex apparently has a significant contingent of straight up Nazis, like not internet hyperbole Nazis, real Nazis. And that was pre-Trump.

Basically never interact with anyone online re: tabletop games. They're either a gross shithead, or so traumatized by gross shitheads that they've become an entirely different type of shithead.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

fool_of_sound posted:

Only if you wipe front to back

Ok all the other ones are funny and subjective but wiping back to front is loving gross as hell, how could anybody possibly advocate giving yourself a UTI/getting poo poo on your taint

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Arguing about hard and fast D&D rules is pretty stupid since the DM can do whatever he wants. I used to play 1st edition and tried to get back into it with 3.5, which I liked, but always found the sessions bogged down by flipping through books and rules lawyering.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BiggerBoat posted:

Arguing about hard and fast D&D rules is pretty stupid since the DM can do whatever he wants. I used to play 1st edition and tried to get back into it with 3.5, which I liked, but always found the sessions bogged down by flipping through books and rules lawyering.

Problem is that turns into 'You don't need a good game when the DM can just fix it' which has somehow become basically the motto of the industry despite that it's demonstrably made the hobby miserable.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Problem is that turns into 'You don't need a good game when the DM can just fix it' which has somehow become basically the motto of the industry despite that it's demonstrably made the hobby miserable.

Lol if you think the people who play these games would be less miserable with better design, just lol.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

Rules lawyering can bog down basically any game. D&D lends itself to that as it's a popular game with a ton of source books and power gaming assholes that can only be happy if they have the biggest numbers. It's all about stories and fantasies so of course you're going to get people feeling like they have to be the most powerful person at the table.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

FATAL is basically borderline outsider art, generally held as infamously hilariously horrible because it embodies seemingly every worst possible aspect of RPG design and writing, and has probably never been played in good faith by anyone except maybe its creator. (in part because it's so amazingly poorly designed it's impossible to play)

I can't find it, but apparently FATAL had a theme song, self performed by the author, which someone described as "cookie monster getting tangled in a drum kit and falling down the stairs."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The real issue is that RPGs (not tabletop gaming as a whole, because it's not an issue in board and card games) are full of gatekeeping nonsense. RPG designers and players really, really don't want new people to join the hobby. It's not just about race and gender (although there's a lot of that), it's about not wanting anyone to play who isn't familiar with 40 year of roleplaying game traditions. Since D&D has a longer history than most games, D&D fans tend to be the most hostile to change or new ideas. Basically, the hobby holds itself back because so much of the industry is run and defined by a very narrow range of people. Think about what's happened to comic books over the last 30 years, but without the little bit of mainstream appeal the industry tries to maintain. RPGs are just hostile to anyone who isn't an existing player, and the pushback by fans (mostly D&D players) makes any sort of positive change impossible.

As you can imagine, this is very frustrating if you give a poo poo about tabletop RPGs.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
That mentality always baffles me because without new blood whatever you're a member of dies. High barriers of entry and open hostility to newcomers and new ideas makes everything stagnate which leads to withering and death.

A total rejection of change leads to a total rejection of improvement which is...no. just no.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Nerds: we're outcasts because of the stuff we're interested in, and we get shoved into lockers and bullied and nobody likes us, especially not girls!

Also nerds: nobody else is allowed to be interested in this stuff, and we will viciously chase off anybody who tries, especially girls!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That mentality always baffles me because without new blood whatever you're a member of dies. High barriers of entry and open hostility to newcomers and new ideas makes everything stagnate which leads to withering and death.

A total rejection of change leads to a total rejection of improvement which is...no. just no.

You dont like the mentality that causes people to not like change and would like to encapsulate themselves into a system and familiar stories that they are familiar with?

And you posted about it in this thread and on this forum?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

exploded mummy posted:

You dont like the mentality that causes people to not like change and would like to encapsulate themselves into a system and familiar stories that they are familiar with?

And you posted about it in this thread and on this forum?

I'm a stupid, smelly primate with illogical opinions and actions just like every other human who has ever lived, ok?

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Ronwayne posted:

I can't find it, but apparently FATAL had a theme song, self performed by the author, which someone described as "cookie monster getting tangled in a drum kit and falling down the stairs."

I didn't know Merzbow wrote FATAL

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

This D&D nonsense is news to me because the most I know about current D&D is everyone loving Critical Role and TAZ and lots of artists showing off their OCs or folks commissioning artists to draw them. Also there’s lots of pretty dice, and people seem more interested in having funny/silly stories with maybe some dramatic monster fights in there.

I don’t go to Traditional Games.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I never read the front page anymore, but that FATAL non-review makes me think I should go back.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Also, can we not have a thread where we play FATAL?

I don't understand why this is not a thing.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

it is really not fun to play at all. it's the difference between laughing at people's creepy sex ideas from behind glass, over the internet, and going into someone's basement so they can describe their creepy sex ideas to you personally in an angry whisper

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

luxury handset posted:

it is really not fun to play at all. it's the difference between laughing at people's creepy sex ideas from behind glass, over the internet, and going into someone's basement so they can describe their creepy sex ideas to you personally in an angry whisper

But what if I put them in a glass room in my basement? With a lock.

I really don't believe people played this seriously..........right?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I've considered running World of Synnibarr or SenZar, both infamously weird/stupid games that may be authentically fun to dick around with. The only issue is that I suspect there aren't many copies around/probably nothing digitized.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

I've considered running World of Synnibarr or SenZar, both infamously weird/stupid games that may be authentically fun to dick around with. The only issue is that I suspect there aren't many copies around/probably nothing digitized.
Synnibarr would legitimately be a lot of fun if you're willing to adjudicate rules nonsense.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
World of Synnibar’s wikipedia page is a work of art.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

luxury handset posted:

From my understanding from reading some people reviewing it to mock it, resolving any combat or non-combat event in FATAL would take an absurd amount of time. The rules are bizarrely number heavy for someone’s hosed up wank material.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

From my understanding from reading some people reviewing it to mock it, resolving any combat or non-combat event in FATAL would take an absurd amount of time. The rules are bizarrely number heavy for someone’s hosed up wank material.

yeah, turns out the extremely creepy rapist also designed a system with a shitload of impossible to follow rules. i'm pretty sure that actually trying to play this system and suffering for it is part of the creator's dom kink

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

This D&D nonsense is news to me because the most I know about current D&D is everyone loving Critical Role and TAZ and lots of artists showing off their OCs or folks commissioning artists to draw them. Also there’s lots of pretty dice, and people seem more interested in having funny/silly stories with maybe some dramatic monster fights in there.

I don’t go to Traditional Games.

TradGames is p chill for the most part it's just prone to the usual nerd bullshit every now and then

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Outside of dnd 5e and sometimes Warhammer stuff, basically all the threads are mostly populated by people who like the subject material and are cool about it.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

fool_of_sound posted:

Outside of dnd 5e and sometimes Warhammer stuff, basically all the threads are mostly populated by people who like the subject material and are cool about it.

The Warhammer stuff only covers the wargame, last I followed the Warhammer rpg thread was pretty chill

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

fool_of_sound posted:

that sounds awful if the subject is bad and you want to talk about how bad it is

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Because they'd rather rule ashes as a lovely weirdo than try to change thenselves.

The only thing i was really around for was when a guy made a thread in gbs pretending he wasn't asking for an avatar but basically was. Someone googled his name venom then some numbers and a meninist forum the spearhead came up. Venom tried to "counter dox" the guy and all hell broke loose until the spearhead got its own weekend web article

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

They want it to die and be buried with them.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Just to get back on track a little, was there ever a D&D or RPG related SAga on the forums? Seems to me there'd almost have to be but I don't remember one.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

BiggerBoat posted:

Just to get back on track a little, was there ever a D&D or RPG related SAga on the forums? Seems to me there'd almost have to be but I don't remember one.

There was the hilariously terrible goon ShadowDragon8685 who had a meltdown in the long-running Battletech Let's Play thread, because people 'voted wrong' when we were picking what scenario to play next

He actually reported people for voting against his preferred scenario because he is a genuinely terrible human being, who later ragequit mid-scenario because he was playing so goddamn awful he nearly got a Big Important Character killed by being an inveterate coward.

There's a pastebin, which I can't find now, of his 'antics' where he goes to great lengths to suck himself off about how great he is at Battletech, but that's not very interesting to read if you're not already very interested in Battletech.

He really loved using big words to sound smart as well. Sanguine has become a thread in-joke because of this.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I actually remember there was a thread where a bunch of goons tried to play the game on the forums. Don't remember if there was any resolution to it, or how long it went on.

This discussion just makes me happy I never got into tabletop RPGs.

I'm surprised that there is so much drama with different editions of (A?)D&D. I was under the impression that anyone who has DM'd for more than a year would have made their own game, anyway, and not playing D&D. The few times I've tried myself in my youth, the DM would usually be very proud of his own creation (that was usually basically the same as D&D except with cyborgs instead of elves or something), with a shitload of homemade character sheet templates and a binder of documentation on the game that they plan on selling to a publisher and become millionaires. Also, just about every RPG player I've ever known has at least once started writing their own fantasy novel series based on their own character.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The biggest issue with DND is it's a great place to create a safe space for the mentally ill to come and chill in a guided environment, and those of us who are mentally unwell are drawn to it, because playing pretend is ultimately something you're supposed to put away at like 12. We still do it though, because we hate our selves, the people we play with, and what our character represent. People regularly will use their dnd groups to work through trama and poo poo, and because nerds have such a hard time letting friends go, once a group has gone insular, it's 100% hosed.

Luckily, I don't have this issue, and instead just burn bridges wherever I go, leaving a trail of hurt people and broken games behind me.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah joining a game and making a character before ghosting them completely due to my crippling anxiety has been my jam for years now

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Usually what happens is a bunch of house rules and custom content gets created for a campaign or series of campaigns that it spins off into a d&dish thing. One reason it's lasted is because the rules lend themselves to that sort of thing. Once you learn the basics the rules are actually pretty simple, excepting weird crap from the past like thac0. Creating custom content for a campaign is actually pretty simple once you know the mechanics.

That is...simultaneously good and bad.

The biggest issue is that people too frequently forget that RPGs are a storytelling medium. DM writes a story, players play through it. A good DM who can tell a good story is a blast to play with. A lovely one can be awful and a bad player can ruin the experience for everybody.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Oct 3, 2018

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Someone post that battletech pastebin please.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Telsa Cola posted:

Someone post that battletech pastebin please.

It's probably auto-culled from pastebin by now, it'd be like 6 years old or something. Mostly it was him being an overly argumentative, smug twat who got his poo poo pushed in anytime he wasn't facing the really terrible bots that you could play against in MegaMek (a pretty decent tool for running Battletech games in).

Edit: I will say this, he is very easy to find with some googling, as he's always used the same name, ShadowDragon8685.

Keru has a new favorite as of 23:40 on Oct 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

FactsAreUseless posted:

The real issue is that RPGs (not tabletop gaming as a whole, because it's not an issue in board and card games) are full of gatekeeping nonsense. RPG designers and players really, really don't want new people to join the hobby. It's not just about race and gender (although there's a lot of that), it's about not wanting anyone to play who isn't familiar with 40 year of roleplaying game traditions. Since D&D has a longer history than most games, D&D fans tend to be the most hostile to change or new ideas. Basically, the hobby holds itself back because so much of the industry is run and defined by a very narrow range of people. Think about what's happened to comic books over the last 30 years, but without the little bit of mainstream appeal the industry tries to maintain. RPGs are just hostile to anyone who isn't an existing player, and the pushback by fans (mostly D&D players) makes any sort of positive change impossible.

As you can imagine, this is very frustrating if you give a poo poo about tabletop RPGs.

I kind of agree, but it's booming right now, I suspect the 4e penny arcade podcasts with Chris Perkins can take some credit for kickstarting that. Actually hearing/seeing people having fun is a better introduction to the hobby than 300 page rulebooks.