Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Speaking as someone who likes wood paneling, you can have too much of a good thing. Also that's all clearly plywood.

Thats the point

It does look good when it's done wellimo. I never made the connection but there are a number of Maori run businesses that are done like that. Once you get over the fact that it's plywood being used like that, in person it looks good (the examples posted here do not look good)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I like the look when it can contrast against something else, the plywood kitchen in the otherwise open white void with a plain concrete floor is fine, but with nothing to contrast against it gets really visually overpowering.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It came from the depths of hell:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Haifisch posted:

It came from the depths of hell:

Not expecting many men in that bathroom, are they?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Not expecting many men in that bathroom, are they?

I guess it's one way to make them sit.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

there wolf posted:

I guess it's one way to make them sit.

Are you kidding? That thing is clearly permeated with the scent of death, I'm not putting my bits and pieces anywhere near it. I'll piss in the sink before I sit on that thing.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

cubicle gangster posted:

That second house, but zebrano veneer over every single ply surface.

I only pulled out the first 2 I found, but there are countless examples of unfinished all-plywood houses - every single surface made of it. it's wild.
saying that i'd totally go for the exact same thing but in super white/light grey raw concrete, I might not be the best person to judge.

I've stayed in a number of cabins like this, but even they had the decency to put a solid coat of amber varnish over the plywood.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Surfer cabin is the new trend eh?

This badass grandpa chair is just chilling in the hospital waiting area. It's comfortable too!!!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

the chair

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

peanut posted:

the chair

I've been wanting to build one of these for a while now. They just look so cool and comfy.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Bad Munki posted:

Are you kidding? That thing is clearly permeated with the scent of death, I'm not putting my bits and pieces anywhere near it. I'll piss in the sink before I sit on that thing.

I bet the sinks just as bad

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jaded Burnout posted:

"It looks unfinished" is one of those commonly produced opinions that I think people use when they're forgetting that people have varied taste.

No, it's a statement of my taste, my cultural experience and my knowledge of building materials.

Using a substrate as a finish layer can be interesting but I personally feel like all that effort was wasted because it looks bad.

I recognize that this is a subjective preference and never implied otherwise.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Bloop posted:

No, it's a statement of my taste, my cultural experience and my knowledge of building materials.

Using a substrate as a finish layer can be interesting but I personally feel like all that effort was wasted because it looks bad.

I recognize that this is a subjective preference and never implied otherwise.

OK but now you're going from "sheds and treehouses usually have more effort put in" to "I see the effort but I think it was wasted". You see how the latter is more reasonable, right?

Maybe you meant that all along but I can only respond to the things people say rather than what they mean.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jaded Burnout posted:

OK but now you're going from "sheds and treehouses usually have more effort put in" to "I see the effort but I think it was wasted". You see how the latter is more reasonable, right?

Maybe you meant that all along but I can only respond to the things people say rather than what they mean.

Eh, effort at being aesthetically pleasing, not in construction time or technique.

I get that someone likes that, but someone likes everything that comes up in this thread and we can still say it looks like poo poo

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Pretty sure whoever buys it is going to be sick of that trend in like.. 2 years max.

HGTV and it’s like are diseases and designing functional spaces to renovate/‘update’ within 10 years is dumb.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BadSamaritan posted:

Pretty sure whoever buys it is going to be sick of that trend in like.. 2 years max.

HGTV and it’s like are diseases and designing functional spaces to renovate/‘update’ within 10 years is dumb.

I think this particular “raw wood/ply” trend’s been around quite a bit longer than the last few years (at least since the 90s and you can see flashes of it in 70s high concept design- as opposed to the mass market wood paneled look- and mid-to-latter 20th Century furniture design as well) though I can’t speak for the future tastes of whomever chooses to live there.

Also I rarely see that kind of aesthetic on HGTV or its ilk. It’s not easily replicable by buying a bunch of poo poo at HomeGoods or on Wayfair and leans too much on the architecture of the space to be accessible to the stay-at-home Mormon wives that make up HGTV’s core demo these days.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Luckily plywood is very, very easy to cover with something colorful when you get tired of living inside a county fair shaved ice booth.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hi. I don't usually frequent DIY much; would this be a good thread to post some pics of my still empty new apartment? I'm looking to get some input on how to handle one or two tricky spots and my harebrained plans to paint the walls like a 1980s nightclub. tia

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

My Lovely Horse posted:

Hi. I don't usually frequent DIY much; would this be a good thread to post some pics of my still empty new apartment? I'm looking to get some input on how to handle one or two tricky spots and my harebrained plans to paint the walls like a 1980s nightclub. tia

Only if it include a giant mural of your Avatar as the focal point from the front door.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yes. I am 97.6% certain peanut will chip in with suggestions if you do. Usually with a cute sketch.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

My Lovely Horse posted:

1980's night club, or 1990's bowling alley? You walk a fine line, friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG0YG7d1ddc&t=2184s

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yes. I am 97.6% certain peanut will chip in with suggestions if you do. Usually with a cute sketch.

Don't keep me waiting!!!!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm gonna tell you the thread consensus is get more plants.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

My Lovely Horse posted:

Get a nice rug that will really tie the room together.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

My Lovely Horse posted:

Always post. This thread is both for legit design stuff as well as mocking horrible designs. So it may not always be as helpful as the other in this sub-forum, you'll probably get a few helpful replies in with the dumb jokes. Gotta keep our helpful to dumb ratio up so the thread doesn't get turfed out to GBS.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Get a nice rug that will really tie the room together.

Also a cat to tastefully place upon the rug.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

value-brand cereal posted:

Also a cat to tastefully placepiss upon the rug.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

there wolf posted:

I'm gonna tell you the thread consensus is get more plants MCM furniture.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm gonna design an MCM plant rug and make mad money off you bitches

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh believe me plants will not be an issue

Okay, lemme dump a big ol' bunch of images here. First the current place, just so you get an idea what furniture we're working with (mostly IKEA), and what we do with a room left to our own devices.

Our huge couch, the entertainment area directly opposite, and the inside wall which is bisected by what we think is an old chimney. We squeezed computer and music stuff in at one side, the other has the door. Jesus, it looks super cramped in the pictures.

Here's some choice shots of the new place:

Living room with adjacent kitchen. The kitchen is sorted and getting done professionally. In the living room area, we're working mainly around the wooden beams, the radiators, the window nook and also our very large couch. There's a limited number of sensible configurations that has occurred to me so far. The computer corner is getting moved to its own room with a small balcony:

The stained glass effect is an adhesive film and it's going out.

Let's talk about the living room and kitchen! Furniture placement: I'm thinking it would be sensible to have the dinner table between kitchen entrance and the beams, the couch backing up against the beams from the other side and the TV opposite the couch, nestled between the window nook and radiator, which isn't ideal but just about fits. Bookshelves and cupboards lined up against the big empty inside wall. In the nook itself I'd love to have a low sideboard of just the right width that could hold the turntable and records. My girlfriend would like plants and maybe an armchair.

We're gonna need decent curtains and we're not sure how to handle the nook. We had this idea to hang floor-to-ceiling curtains in front of it, though.

As for a colour scheme, no real idea. The kitchen furniture is gonna be grey and we were thinking of painting the kitchen walls light purple/magenta as a contrast. In the living room itself, who knows.

The balcony room is gonna be our hobby room with my computer stuff on one side and her sewing/crafting stuff on the other. Here's where I had an idea for the walls. I'm just gonna let some photoshop sketches speak for themselves.

This would be a good idea to mention that I have very little idea how I'd go about painting the walls this way beyond "tape off the edges and keep fingers crossed". Also I think I'm getting a veto on the ones that are mainly black.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

This would be a good idea to mention that I have very little idea how I'd go about painting the walls this way beyond "tape off the edges and keep fingers crossed".

Yeah that's pretty much it. Use good painters' masking tape. There'll be a bajillion youtube videos with tips and tricks to avoid leakage under the tape, if you find that happening to you.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Frog tape is legitimately better than most painter’s tape, such as blue masking tape.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Frog tape is legitimately better than most painter’s tape, such as blue masking tape.

Yeah I still use high quality blue masking tape (like Scotch blue) rather than the knock-offs (it's pretty easy to just dye masking tape blue) but my father swears by frog tape and uses it for everything.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Maybe place your couch against the naked beams here. At least if you like the look of these beams you shouldn't hide them with shelving or other storage.

Small bar in the alcove? Just a small table at the window sills, and two or three bar stools.

For a hobby room I'd go with light and neutral walls. You generally want as much light on whatever you're working on, and too much color on the walls might skew your color perception if you're doing any kind of visual design work. (Sewing falls under that imo.)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's probably too dark to actually live with but I love the blue stripes/dark grey walls. I may have terrible taste though?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

cakesmith handyman posted:

It's probably too dark to actually live with but I love the blue stripes/dark grey walls. I may have terrible taste though?

I think it would look ok if they did one accent wall with dark/strong colors. Maybe the wall with the door. I honestly don’t know how I feel about painting the ceiling tbh.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah I still use high quality blue masking tape (like Scotch blue) rather than the knock-offs (it's pretty easy to just dye masking tape blue) but my father swears by frog tape and uses it for everything.

I had used quality blue tape for years and thought frog tape was just a gimmick, until I tried it on a whim a week ago. I’m not going back.

To wit:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

I had used quality blue tape for years and thought frog tape was just a gimmick, until I tried it on a whim a week ago. I’m not going back.

To wit:

Cool. I've not used either for full on wall painting yet so I'll see how it goes! But good to know there's a second good opinion on it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

All your furniture and goth poo poo is black and red. Lavender and pale blue will look so bad, lol. Remember that the walls will mostly be blocked by your bookshelves and desks. Dark on the bottom with a bright ceiling might work.

The radiators kill most possible couch placement. Ya gotta think of TV placement in relation to the couch (and glare, if you're fancy). I would probably put the couch against the beams, and the tv to the right of the nook. (That nook is perfect for a Christmas tree or big decorative plants.)
Otoh, looking at outlet placement, the TV would be easier to place in the top right corner, or next to the beams. Maybe just block that whole window above the beams, put a high shelf over the radiator like a mantle over a fireplace. NM that's a terrible idea for electronics XD

Dining table on the kitchen side of the beams, of course.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

To go with the goth theme may I recommend a crucified Wolverine on the beams