Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The context was the game's quality on release. EU4 was a pretty incredible step up even from EU3 + expansions. And the current state of EU4 comes a few years after Johan stepped down from the lead designer role, so if you're one of those people who think EU4 is worse than ever currently, then slagging on the guy who was in charge of the game's design before its supposed downslide is extra weird.

You didn't quote me when responding to me, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you were using some kind of general "you". I haven't been said anything about johan, just that the victoria series was better than eu4 when it was released. Which it was, and I disagree with your reading of that guy's post. Maybe he can clarify or maybe yall can stop getting weird about my tongue-in-cheek vicky fanboying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I only enjoyed EU4 on release. BY the time the first expansion came out, I'd stopped playing mostly.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The Total War games definitely have gotten grander with time

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Senor Dog posted:

Vicky, Ricky, and Vicky 2

Guess who was lead for them?

i designed and coded the pops and politics system in v2 while Chris designed the economy and worldmarket.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I liked the idea of civil wars being game over, but I don't understand not being able to choose sides at the beginning.

If you can't change sides, how are you able to change governments? Can't think of many peaceful transitions from one type of government to the other.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

pdxjohan posted:

i designed and coded the pops and politics system in v2 while Chris designed the economy and worldmarket.

Well,the pops at least made some sense, as long as they had bread and circus they were happy.

The world market was madness.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the v2 market is mad genius, except for the resource duplication part

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Or the alchemy

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Did Johan just out himself for being the father of all Anarcho-Liberals :eyepop:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

pdxjohan posted:

And you did a good job. I wasn’t the one insulting you. In fact I even called that person stupid.

Also I have over 2k hours in EU4 so I clearly do not think it’s bad or whatever as I was being accused of.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Groogy posted:

Or the alchemy

Alchemy is like 90% of the economy

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
I just like the fact that Artisans can convert Cattle into Steel.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Full Metal Alchemist paradox game when?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Groogy posted:

Depending on the ratio, one could just laughably say Hemoglobin -> Iron -> Steel.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I think you mean Beefcake -> Buns of Steel

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Cynic Jester posted:

I think you mean Beefcake -> Buns of Steel

That's Artisan Armor.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Groogy posted:

Your herd of cows erodes the topsoil so that you can hand-pick the hematite rocks underneath and artisanally cook them into steel

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The context was the game's quality on release. EU4 was a pretty incredible step up even from EU3 + expansions. And the current state of EU4 comes a few years after Johan stepped down from the lead designer role, so if you're one of those people who think EU4 is worse than ever currently, then slagging on the guy who was in charge of the game's design before its supposed downslide is extra weird.
The current state of EU4 can't be divorced from the choice of DLC model, which was presumably established before the game was even released. Not saying this makes Johan the worst or anything, just saying that flaws might take a while to present themselves.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
My controversial opinion: EU4 is better now than it's ever been and the DLC model works very well most of the time, even if it's not always executed perfectly.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Magissima posted:

My controversial opinion: EU4 is better now than it's ever been and the DLC model works very well most of the time, even if it's not always executed perfectly.

:same:

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I've owned EU4 for a long time, but never really took the time to learn it until fairly recently. I love the game, but have no real frame of reference on what it used to be like. What are people's problems with the game and the DLC model? I know it's not perfect and there are definitely some things that annoy me, but I also don't know of any other game that comes close to what it's trying to do.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

siggy2021 posted:

I've owned EU4 for a long time, but never really took the time to learn it until fairly recently. I love the game, but have no real frame of reference on what it used to be like. What are people's problems with the game and the DLC model? I know it's not perfect and there are definitely some things that annoy me, but I also don't know of any other game that comes close to what it's trying to do.

Realistically, the game could integrate it's additions better if the base game just integrated the older DLC over time instead of it always being a separate purchase.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

siggy2021 posted:

The big issue is the number of game systems and currencies ballooning, with many of them having poor to no interaction with other systems, often being little more than numbers going up independent of what is going on in the game. Innovativeness for instance just happens, with minimal input from the player and little effect on the gameplay.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Really, this video by our old boy has several good points:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJCE6GHAI9I

Posting this made me realize he hasn't made anything in a long time, wonder what happened?

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Magissima posted:

Those of us happy and in-favor with the status quo aren't the ones giving the devs lip. You're not alone and I don't think that opinion is controversial.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

StealthArcher posted:

Posting this made me realize he hasn't made anything in a long time, wonder what happened?

He’s still posting on the paradox forums so he didn’t die or anything

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

He probably got tired of all the work it takes to make informative, well-researched, well-presented videos like that. Youtube isn't really a medium that rewards that kind of effort.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

siggy2021 posted:

What are people's problems with the game and the DLC model?

If they did the same amount of work as they currently do on DLC but gave it to everyone for free, the new additions would be better integrated into the base game.

On the one hand, yes, on the other hand duh.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i love johan because imperator is to vicky 3 what sengoku was to crusader kings 2

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Tbh Stellaris is looking like a testbed for all sorts of Vicky-esque poo poo like pops and even a rudimentary market/industry system these days, too

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
While I do feel that EU4 has a few poorly-integrated features(Army Professionalism existing basically separately from Army Tradition, Discipline, etc. is really weird) or features that are pretty meh(sailors. The only time I notice they exist is if I start land-locked or am regularly sailing my main fleet half-way across the world while running dozens of trade fleets. But even then it wasn't a problem because I was richer than God). Government reforms kind of lie between them(it's weird that there's really only the one thing that affects it). Plus, the balance on idea sets is pretty weak.
In the end, I'm hard on it because it's my favorite.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I'm on the bleh train simply looking at the steam storefront page for it. the complete eu4 experience is 200 bux.

It doesn't feel like 200 bux. Certainly not in the same way something like, say, Civilization's expansions felt like expansions. That and of course the DLCs are all insular so people can plug and play makes them feel anemic once they're all together.

Hearts of Iron is kind of similar, though there are gameplay features and such attached to dlcs the real selling power is just the focus trees, and, well, Kaiserreich - code clusterfuck as it is - is free already.

I'd like to see Eu5 before more various DLCs and, while I understand the premise of the policy, would prefer Vicky 2-like expansions over more numerous and insular dlcs.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Civ expansions are basically paradox DLC but like double the price

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I haven't played a whole lot of the hoi4 version of kaiserreich but from what I have played I definitely think the paradox-designed alternate history trees are a lot better. The kaiserreich Germany tree has a lot of unnecessary poo poo iirc, whereas the paradox oppose Hitler tree makes every focus seem pretty relevant. So I definitely appreciate the focus tree DLCs and will probably continue buying each one.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah the only reason Civ expansions feel bigger is because Paradox give you half of the new content for free.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

By the way, what was the alchemy thing in Vicky 2? Can artisans really just change resources out to anything else?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

By the way, what was the alchemy thing in Vicky 2? Can artisans really just change resources out to anything else?

I don’t think anything else but they can change certain things which if you care about strict realism don’t make much sense.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Gort posted:

If they did the same amount of work as they currently do on DLC but gave it to everyone for free, the new additions would be better integrated into the base game.

On the one hand, yes, on the other hand duh.

At some point the barrier to entry people feel on seeing $200 worth of 12 or whatever we're up to separate expansions is going to cost more in both lost potential customers and accumulated technical debt than integrating the older expansions into the base game. I don't have the data to have much of a clue if Paradox have hit that point yet, but clearly you can't just make 2000 completely independent expansion features and still have a coherent game so the inflection point exists somewhere. It feels like we're at least very close to the accumulation of jank outweighing the benefits, which is why estates got made baseline and things like that.

I can't think of that many other games that have as much post-release support as PDS's games and operate entirely on a separate and independent expansions model. The really old, traditional expansion + subscription MMOs like Everquest and World of Warcraft are about the closest analogue I can think of in scope, and they at least both include all but the last few years worth of expansions in their base game precisely because the alternative wasn't sustainable.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 4, 2018

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
It does seem weird that there's absolutely no reduction in buy-in for new players at all, I have to assume that they have some very persuasive data suggesting that they're not losing sales.

The base game is still very playable even if some of the expansion features are almost impossible to imagine playing without once you've used them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Cynic Jester posted:

The big issue is the number of game systems and currencies ballooning, with many of them having poor to no interaction with other systems, often being little more than numbers going up independent of what is going on in the game. Innovativeness for instance just happens, with minimal input from the player and little effect on the gameplay.

I agree with this. I have the same issues. It's a very bloated game. My feel is that the game mechanics don't seem to add up to a coherent whole like a CK2 does. I'll still most likely purchase a EUV--but I can only hope that it gets pared back and focused.