Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/PrimeVideo/status/1047272608339619840

Give Bezos the Nobel Peace Prize

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Does 12 Monkeys get better in later seasons or something because I'm halfway through season 1 and it's a snooze-fest, RHYNO.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It really does. I thought season one was very weak but the finale is good and then season 2 is so good and season three is even gooders and by my beard if season four wasn't the most fun thing I watched this year I dont know what else could be coming in the next 3 months.

I promise. The time of your life. For real.

Edit: NOT CRAZY
https://news.avclub.com/powers-boot...5_version_A_top

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 3, 2018

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Oh ok cool. Thanks man!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Everyone interested in 12M, do not expect the film. It's very, very different.

Also Jennifer Goines for President.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I dropped 12 Monkeys like 9 episodes into season 1 on account of it being really boring and melodramatic but I guess I'm going to give it a second chance.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MiddleOne posted:

I dropped 12 Monkeys like 9 episodes into season 1 on account of it being really boring and melodramatic but I guess I'm going to give it a second chance.

YAY.

None of you are ready for how great this show gets. And Deacon! Breakout character of the show!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'll def peep 12M. It's been on my list, but Rhyno's enthusiasm alone is bumping it up lol

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's a pretty excellent show. By far my favorite time travel show.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
So I watched like, the whole thing, and it was alright, but it didn't feel like the second coming. Way too much (forced) melodrama and silly twists and silly action flick tropes (like the main characters getting shot at multiple times per episode but never getting hit, person A threatening B with gun and B effortlessly getting out of it/getting their own gun out). Also the whole prophecy bullshit. Like, I get that a show literally about time travel and those "primaries" is one of few contexts where a prophecy plot might actually work, but the whole theatre around it was silly.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Also, and maybe this is just me, why did they have to convert doctor lady to "kick-rear end" action star. There's nothing wrong with having a main character not be a fighter.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Give Bezos the Nobel Peace Prize

Expanse will forever be remembered as the first show saved from cancellation because a corrupt billionaire really, really liked it.

(There's probably other examples but if there are I don't know them.)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The 12 Monkey characters actually get shot a ton. They just have magic time travel healing factors and a time machine to rush past the healing period.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dancer posted:

So I watched like, the whole thing, and it was alright, but it didn't feel like the second coming. Way too much (forced) melodrama and silly twists and silly action flick tropes (like the main characters getting shot at multiple times per episode but never getting hit, person A threatening B with gun and B effortlessly getting out of it/getting their own gun out). Also the whole prophecy bullshit. Like, I get that a show literally about time travel and those "primaries" is one of few contexts where a prophecy plot might actually work, but the whole theatre around it was silly.

This post makes me cry.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
Looks like Damon Wayan's too old for this poo poo

quote:

Damon Wayans announced exclusively to EUR Web that he is exiting the show in December after filming 13 episodes commissioned by FOX for the third season. Watch it below.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Just hire Damon Wayans Jr.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What's his son up to?

EDIT: CURSE YOU LADY PICTURE SHOW

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Adapting popular book series is apparently really hard or complicated. I mean, the Discworld books are almost Harry Potter levels of popular and have pre written jokes and 50 novels of source material and that Night Watch show, which was being produced by Terry's own daughter, still somehow never happened

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
For my part, I so badly want a series adapting the Baroque Cycle, starring Chris Pratt as Half Cocked Jack Shaftoe and Amy Adams as Eliza.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked the Hogfather miniseries with Michelle Dockery as Susan and Marc Warren (really good casting) as Mr Teatime.

I've never seen the Going Postal adaptation but can't think of a better Vetinari than Charles Dance.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Crawford said Wayans hated being on the show. So this doesn't surprise me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I figure eventually someone is going to pick up the rights to Discworld and do it justice.

And then someone is going to pick up the rights to Piers Anthony's worka and we will Ll suffer.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

Crawford said Wayans hated being on the show. So this doesn't surprise me.

Probably won't continue without him, will it?

I mean, how can you have Lethal Weapon without Riggs or Murtaugh?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Most likely depends on ratings for this season but I'd doubt it.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Wheat Loaf posted:

murtaugh's wife seeks revenge and becomes a vigilante/cop badass? tv has done much worse than this so i would not be surprised but yeah the show should probably just end after wayans leaves.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wheat Loaf posted:

I liked the Hogfather miniseries with Michelle Dockery as Susan and Marc Warren (really good casting) as Mr Teatime.

I've never seen the Going Postal adaptation but can't think of a better Vetinari than Charles Dance.

Yeah those were all good, Colour of Magic being the weakest by far but still watchable for Jeremy Irons doing the weirdest Vetinari imaginable. Hogfather was the best but I thought Going Postal really nailed the casting of Adora and Moist

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My favourite Discworld is Lords and Ladies so of course I'd enjoy that being adapted, but Wyrd Sisters, Witches Abroad and Lords and Ladies would make a great wee trilogy. With Helen Mirren as Granny Weatherwax and Miriam Margolyes as Nanny Ogg, of course.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Rhyno posted:

I said if you watch 12 Monkeys YOU'LL HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE

GOD drat IT.

I appreciated this and all of your praise for 12 Monkeys. I feel like you might be in the running vs me for most enthusiastic 12Monkeys fan

For any of you goofs that don't like it or won't give it a chance, well you just do not belong in this timeline and should just splinter on out of this one. Nyah.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'll tell everyone I know to watch 12 Monkeys because I legit think it might be one of my favorite ever.

But I suspect the same stuff about the show that make me love it when I'm usually pretty cold on sci fi is stuff that would make a lot of sci fi fans not like it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah after they nailed the finale I think it’s probably my favorite sci-fi show ever. Though admittedly I don’t watch too many sci-fi shows.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Dancer posted:

Goons going ridiculously hyperbolic in their praise for genre fare is par for the course in TVIV. Remember POI? :shrug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
12 Monkeys is a lot better than Person of Interest though

A good example of goons over hyping a decent show is Rubicon

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Wheat Loaf posted:

Bring in Chris Rock, continue Lethal Weapon 4.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

That final season, and especially that finale, elevated 12 Monkeys to my fav scifi show of all time. I'm getting the DVD soon because that really deserves a rewatch

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

precision posted:

12 Monkeys is a lot better than Person of Interest though

A good example of goons over hyping a decent show is Rubicon

Wow, I can't remember the last time I thought about Rubicon. Was it really that big?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

nate fisher posted:

Hulu. Just give it a chance (it gets better as it goes). Best new comedy of 2017.

Um, would that be the show where the first episode has the telephone conversation during the dance off? Because that was one of the best parody scenes I’ve ever watched

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Future Man rules.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I loved Rubicon! It was a slow burner for sure but by the end I really liked how it came together. At least I think I did.. I may just be remembering it in a better light. Need to rewatch it I guess. It did make me a fan of James Badge Dale if nothing else.

Wasn't it the first 'prestige' show AMC did?

Laterite posted:

Future Man rules.

This is an accurate statement. Tiger and Wolf are ridiculous and endlessly quotable

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
New season of Future Man not till next January arrrghghgh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

pahuyuth posted:

Wasn't it the first 'prestige' show AMC did?

No, Mad Men debuted 3 years earlier