Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LadyPictureShow posted:

Just hire Damon Wayans Jr.

For real. And also hire Adam Pally, Elisha Cuthbert, Casey Wilson, and Eliza Coupe and also rename it to Happy Endings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

For real. And also hire Adam Pally, Elisha Cuthbert, Casey Wilson, and Eliza Coupe and also rename it to Happy Endings.

:hmmyes:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

pahuyuth posted:

This is an accurate statement. Tiger and Corey Hart-Wolf are ridiculous and endlessly quotable

Fixed that up for ya.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah alright gonna try 12 monkeys but you all sure love your sci fi shows.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Shageletic posted:

you all sure love your sci fi shows

Are there many good straight-up dramas these days? Casual's done, The Americans was more a thriller, but that's done too.

The only two that I can think of now are The Affair and Harlots, and neither of them are coming back for a while.

Edit: Oh, and all the CBS All Access shows, but who knows if any of them are gonna come back.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 4, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Open Source Idiom posted:

Wow, I can't remember the last time I thought about Rubicon. Was it really that big?

A lot of goons would NOT shut up about how brilliant it was

I liked it a lot but it was a slow burn thinker, not a life changing experience

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Best thing about 12 Monkeys is that occasionally actors from ReGenesis would show up and I'd get all nostalgic.

When Peter Outerbridge was a scientist of all things, I got so many feels...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

12 Monkeys has a character named Future rear end in a top hat. It is the best.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Are there many good straight-up dramas these days? Casual's done, The Americans was more a thriller, but that's done too.

The only two that I can think of now are The Affair and Harlots, and neither of them are coming back for a while.

Edit: Oh, and all the CBS All Access shows, but who knows if any of them are gonna come back.

Better Call Saul. A couple more on BBC America and Showtime I guess. But yeah a little slim pickings.

Anyvay, first episode down of 12 Monkeys, not bad. There's a nice level of seriousness/competence. Good acting, especially from Leland Frost. What a fantastic actor.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

swickles posted:

I like the way you think, kid

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just enjoy that literally nobody wants Zach Knighton back for any conceptual new form of Happy Endings.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I stand by the gag of him thinking he's the cool guy/straight man and them making GBS threads all over him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STAC Goat posted:

I stand by the gag of him thinking he's the cool guy/straight man and them making GBS threads all over him.

It's a good gag but he wasn't good in the role.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think Netflix doing a Narnia movie and tv series is a mistake. Nobody gives a gently caress about the rest of the books. People only like Lion Witch Wardrobe.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I loved the books when I was a kid. I sort of half watched the movies and didn't are and don't know if I had just grown past it or the movies were that bad. But I'll probably watch a Netflix series.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm certain I read Voyage of the Dawn Treader at least twice and I can't recall a single thing about it. I think there's a boat and a rat.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
every loving day some content producer announces a new TV show based on a series of fantasy novels that isn't Nine Princes in Amber I grow more convinced that TV was a mistake.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm certain I read Voyage of the Dawn Treader at least twice and I can't recall a single thing about it. I think there's a boat and a rat.

I read all 7 (?) books and like I don't remember much beyond general themes and stuff. I mean, I'm not an obsessed fan or anything. I read them once and enjoyed them at a time in my life when I was impressionable and stuff left an impact. So like, I tried to watch the movies and they were boring but I wasn't mad. So I'll try and watch the Netflix and if it sucks ah well. But I'll give it a chance before some other random thing I have no nostalgic attachment to.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Haha I wonder if he just stayed on for 13 episodes to gently caress with Clayne Crawford. Get him fired and now he leaves lol

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
So far, I really like Wesley Cole on Lethal Weapon. He can still kick rear end if he has to, but I'm really impressed by an "action hero" sort of character who thinks outside the box and tries to solve problems without violence first. The second episode has Murtaugh bristling while adapting to Cole's unorthodox style, but the writers were wise to not make him Riggs 2.0. While Riggs was a loose cannon who always went into a situation with guns blazing, hoping things would work themselves out later, Cole always tries to find a different, more peaceful path (almost making Murtaugh seem like the unstable "lethal weapon" by comparison).

It's an interesting characterization, one that reminds me a bit of Dale Cooper in Season 1 of Twin Peaks. You think the FBI agent coming to a small town to solve a murder is going to be a condescending dick to the local police, but instead he's very respectful of their methods and familiarity with the local customs, and he befriends all the cops and ingratiates himself into the town itself. Plus, he exhibits an almost "feminine" investigatory nature -- he tests out theories that come to him in dreams, he's insightful enough to figure out who is having affairs with who, etc. After a decade of macho action heroes like Schwarzenegger and Stallone characters (and Riggs from Lethal Weapon), Cooper was a much more sensitive, empathetic hero. And Cole, with his PTSD and hesitance to engage in overt acts of police-sanctioned violence, reminds me of that. Plus, he just wants his kid back!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 4, 2018

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Yeah SWS is good and season 3 of LW is good so far. Shame it's apparently likely to end now after the 13 episodes. Well i'll enjoy the weekly buddy cop mini action movie while it lasts.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mu Zeta posted:

I think Netflix doing a Narnia movie and tv series is a mistake. Nobody gives a gently caress about the rest of the books. People only like Lion Witch Wardrobe.

the lion the witch and the wardrobe isn't even the best book imho

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Haha I wonder if he just stayed on for 13 episodes to gently caress with Clayne Crawford. Get him fired and now he leaves lol

110%
It wouldn't surprise me if the big wigs realised he was the problem and gave him a choice between being embarassed or bail out.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The Silver Chair was always my favourite growing up, though I think there's a good case to be made for the first half or so of The Magician's Apprentice being the best.

Dollars to donuts they're not going to adapt the part where the money obsessed dwarves can't get into heaven because they're too Jewish dwarves.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Silver Chair was my favorite (Puddleglum was the best until I met Hitchhiker's Guide's Marvin years later), followed by Dawn Treader because the trope of traveling to all kinds of fantasy islands was extremely my poo poo when I was a kid. Magician's Nephew was pretty great too and would be rad to see with modern effects. Last Battle was too religiousy. Lion was okay but overdone, I've read and seen it too much. Prince Caspian was meh, and I only read Horse and His Boy once before somehow losing that book out of my mother's fancy boxed set. I'm annoyed at the prospect of yet another Lion remake but if they actually get around to the rest of the series I'm in for nostalgia.

Also damnit I cancelled hulu months ago after watching Futureman, Xfiles S10 and Runaways, telling them I had too many subscription services. But every time I look for an interesting series such as 12 Monkeys its only on hulu. I guess they win.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dawn Treader is the poo poo. I love Horse and his Boy also.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah SWS is good and season 3 of LW is good so far. Shame it's apparently likely to end now after the 13 episodes. Well i'll enjoy the weekly buddy cop mini action movie while it lasts.

Hey, if they go the Damon Wayans Jr route like I said, they can cross over with Super Troopers in S4...

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 4, 2018

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

110%
It wouldn't surprise me if the big wigs realised he was the problem and gave him a choice between being embarassed or bail out.

He did that interview without telling anyone first, network, producers, nobody. I don't think that would have been arranged. And deciding to quit in the middle of filming the season when they were considering extending it by 2 eps is probably not what the big wigs wanted either

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

end the thirteenth episode with Clane Crawford as Riggs waking up from a 5 month long coma, the whole first 13 episodes were a dream, Murtaugh was the one who actually died, and he's now partnered up with an even more straight-laced agent played by Jason Biggs.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you were going to recast Murtaugh, you should get Shemar Moore, but he's already the lead on another show (which I have not seen - I think it's also an action movie adaptation, though).

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm surprised people still watch Lethal Weapon considering it was pretty bad after the first episode. No surprise the cast quit or whatever. Riggs is supposed to be the outlier, the crazy dude in a sane world, but the show was so nonsensical that Riggs was just another leaf in the whirlwind. Some shows are dumb fun (The Last Ship or 911) but some shows treat the audience like dummies and that's LW.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

wormil posted:

I'm surprised people still watch Lethal Weapon considering it was pretty bad after the first episode. No surprise the cast quit or whatever. Riggs is supposed to be the outlier, the crazy dude in a sane world, but the show was so nonsensical that Riggs was just another leaf in the whirlwind. Some shows are dumb fun (The Last Ship or 911) but some shows treat the audience like dummies and that's LW.

Clayne Crawford said it his post interview they did Riggs as up and down and not full cray cray because it works in a 2 hour movie, but you can't have him at max cookoo for a whole season, you have nowhjere to go.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

pahuyuth posted:

I loved Rubicon! It was a slow burner for sure but by the end I really liked how it came together. At least I think I did.. I may just be remembering it in a better light.

I remember it not coming together very well.

For example, there was that widow character who had a fair bit of screentime and then is killed in the finale having achieved almost nothing.

In general, it was obvious that the original showrunner had been let go after the pilot and they made a different show afterwards which didn't entirely make sense when considering how it started.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I’m with everyone here about how amazing 12 Monkeys is, but I also haven’t watched the last season because my five year old deleted it off the DVR to make room for Ice age and sequels

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Wheat Loaf posted:

If you were going to recast Murtaugh, you should get Shemar Moore, but he's already the lead on another show (which I have not seen - I think it's also an action movie adaptation, though).

He's on SWAT, part of CBS' current strategy to reboot any old show that sounds remotely interesting.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pillowpants posted:

I’m with everyone here about how amazing 12 Monkeys is, but I also haven’t watched the last season because my five year old deleted it off the DVR to make room for Ice age and sequels

That's cool, i'm sure you can return it as defective.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When I watched Criminal Minds (which I did for a few years), Shemar Moore was my favourite. I don't know what he's like in real life and I haven't really seen him in anything else but he just came across as such a fundamentally decent guy on that show, at least from my recollection.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pillowpants posted:

lmao if i was a kid and i found my parents were hiding a show called "12 Monkeys" and it was some boring grown up poo poo I'd delete it out of frustration too

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1047842748680888320

quote:

"I thought that as moderator, I was to provide a certain light-hearted approach while still being able to challenge the candidates on their record or positions," he wrote. "I didn't realize I was to ask a simple question and then let the gentlemen go at each other."

While debate moderators typically ask questions and let the candidates talk, Trebek spoke at length — at times sharing his own policy opinions — during the 45-minute debate in Hershey between Gov. Wolf, a Democrat, and Republican Scott Wagner.

"The correct answer was 'single payer'. 'Single payer.'"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don’t dislike Trebek, but it’s kind of nice to see him on the other side of it sometimes. He can be so smug towards contestants on Jeopardy at times.