Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

spacetoaster posted:

HOWEVER, big muscles restrict your movement in a big way. Even if you constantly work on flexibility and once dudes know that you're the really strong guy they'll change it up on you to minimize that advantage.

I mean, you can still get crazy strong without hitting that point though. You can hit a 315/225/135 base without being really muscly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, you can still get crazy strong without hitting that point though. You can hit a 315/225/135 base without being really muscly

I got there at 150 lbs when I was regularly lifting.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

CommonShore posted:

I got there at 150 lbs when I was regularly lifting.

wanna trade bodies?

I've doubled my strength over the last two years and still look pretty much the same

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, it's probably just me. I look like a walking fire hydrant.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

flashman posted:

I can only train every second month and it's so depressing to play catch up with everyone all the time.

In the same vein I've been doing some off mat activity to try and reduce the physical aspect of not rolling for so long . My cardio routine seems pretty good but for lifting I've just been doing a regular body building routine (three day split). As a hobbyist does it make much a difference what sort of weight lifting im doing? I've had some of the higher belts give me some negative opinions but this routine is pretty simple, works with the gear I can access, and makes me sore so I figure it was ok.
Your program is fine for a hobbyist. Despite the strength doesn't matter BS, for competitors weight training is a necessary part of their training. I know someone will cite Marcelo but he is part of a small number of outliers. Most top level competitors do serious weight training but not necessarily a body building program.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I would love to see Josh Barnett vs Gordon Ryan. Im hoping that showdown takes place, although Im not exactly sure how the matchups are determined so it might not happen.

I can’t get a photo to upload so Instagram link will need to suffice, but Quintet team orders have been announced and it looks like you might just get your wish...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoevjwKA5co/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=115dtdpg5i395

E: drat there are some insane potential matchups too depending on what teams go through to the finals - Sakuraba v Shaolin, Ryan v Geo, Barnett v Geo 👀

butros fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 3, 2018

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

butros posted:

I can’t get a photo to upload so Instagram link will need to suffice, but Quintet team orders have been announced and it looks like you might just get your wish...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoevjwKA5co/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=115dtdpg5i395

E: drat there are some insane potential matchups too depending on what teams go through to the finals - Sakuraba v Shaolin, Ryan v Geo, Barnett v Geo 👀

Yeah Barnett vs Ryan is just one personally I would love to see since Barnett is not some spring chicken and Ryan is still relatively young. But yeah all the possibilities are pretty awesome.

Im actually more excited for this than UFC 229 AND it only costs a fraction.

a god damn idiot
Sep 7, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What does that mean?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

a god drat idiot posted:

What does that mean?

Dead squat bench

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

a god drat idiot posted:

What does that mean?

They're you NUMBAHS bro, :cmon:. Whaddya mean you don't know you numbahs? Do you even lift, bro?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Matt Serra, John and Garry
https://www.instagram.com/p/BofNH6WBmok/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

😂 god bless Matt Serra

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Speaking of which, anyone have Danaher's Headlock System yet?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

flashman posted:

I can only train every second month and it's so depressing to play catch up with everyone all the time.

In the same vein I've been doing some off mat activity to try and reduce the physical aspect of not rolling for so long . My cardio routine seems pretty good but for lifting I've just been doing a regular body building routine (three day split). As a hobbyist does it make much a difference what sort of weight lifting im doing? I've had some of the higher belts give me some negative opinions but this routine is pretty simple, works with the gear I can access, and makes me sore so I figure it was ok.

i train three months on three months off. it's like groundhog day of being a noob white belt and i dream of better days.

coping mechanisms that i've developed is a training diary for when things click that i can read in my off time, and during my training time i try and drill one or two things specifically hoping it becomes dormant muscle memory.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

My trick to training frequently is to tape myself up like a goddamn mummy. I think I legit spend 20+ minutes before I roll taping poo poo.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

a god drat idiot posted:

What does that mean?

Weights for small people. :colbert:

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Quintet is stacked. BTW, heard a sneaky rumor that EBI will introduce team-based EBI soon.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
I am relatively new to the sport of jiu jitsu, though not to grappling or strength and conditioning programming. So if what I’m saying sounds dumb and wrong for the sport, just let me know.

I personally think that while competitors should use periodization, a hobbyists best bet would be to go for muscular endurance. This is not the same thing as cardiovascular endurance. This is something more akin to 3-5 days (depending on how many muscle groups you want to work per day) of 3-5 sets of 15-18 reps. Weight wise I would use 35-45% of your 1RM. Multijoint exercises preferred unless you’re trying to target a very specific muscle group or joint movement.

I base this off the finding that I can often sustain slow steady squeeze pressure against my fellow white belts until they gas out and I can get what I want. I find that rarely do I need brute strength or explosive power at my level, I just need to play the game, stay calm, and be able to just keep working.

This has been a lot of words from a dumb white belt phoneposting while walking his dog, so if it is dumb just tell me to shut up.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm pretty damned hyped for Quintet.

heeebrew posted:

Quintet is stacked. BTW, heard a sneaky rumor that EBI will introduce team-based EBI soon.

Honestly, I feel like Quintet is going to be a hugely popular format for team jiu jitsu for the next few years.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Oct 4, 2018

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

FiestaDePantalones posted:

I am relatively new to the sport of jiu jitsu, though not to grappling or strength and conditioning programming. So if what I’m saying sounds dumb and wrong for the sport, just let me know.

I personally think that while competitors should use periodization, a hobbyists best bet would be to go for muscular endurance. This is not the same thing as cardiovascular endurance. This is something more akin to 3-5 days (depending on how many muscle groups you want to work per day) of 3-5 sets of 15-18 reps. Weight wise I would use 35-45% of your 1RM. Multijoint exercises preferred unless you’re trying to target a very specific muscle group or joint movement.

I base this off the finding that I can often sustain slow steady squeeze pressure against my fellow white belts until they gas out and I can get what I want. I find that rarely do I need brute strength or explosive power at my level, I just need to play the game, stay calm, and be able to just keep working.

This has been a lot of words from a dumb white belt phoneposting while walking his dog, so if it is dumb just tell me to shut up.

Its only at very low levels, typically, that out-gassing your opponent is a real option. Better whites and above will put themselves in positions where they're mechanically safe, meaning they don't need to use much energy to keep their position.

My thinking is that brief bursts of energy are a better bet. These are useful for takedowns, scrambles, escaping certain bad positions (like being under mount, or under a sprawl) and finishing subs.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

The problem with this is that training specificity is a thing: ideally we want to train for what we do most often in a sport. Those explosive movements are great (from a wrestling point of view) for takedowns, reversals, flattening out the opponent, and pins. That is if you still have gas in the tank to make this happen after 5 1/2 minutes of struggle. I wouldn't tell a hobbyist endurance runner that they should sprint or perform plyometrics 3 days a week to train for the finishing kick.

I was also mainly thinking of hobbyists who are taking weeks to months off at a time. One of the things grappling sports are good at is training muscular endurance, so my headspace for those that aren't consistently rolling is that this will keep them in a little more in rolling shape.

Now if you DID want to train primarily for power (force*velocity), I could potentially hook someone up with that basic plan (per the American College of Sports Medicine).

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The problem with this is that training specificity is a thing: ideally we want to train for what we do most often in a sport. Those explosive movements are great (from a wrestling point of view) for takedowns, reversals, flattening out the opponent, and pins. That is if you still have gas in the tank to make this happen after 5 1/2 minutes of struggle. I wouldn't tell a hobbyist endurance runner that they should sprint or perform plyometrics 3 days a week to train for the finishing kick.

Very little power is used in rolling, especially among hobbyists. I don't know what exercises are optimal for the sport, I'm just saying that constant application of strength isn't really a thing in BJJ after a few months of training. Endurance is achieved mostly by conserving energy.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I mean, from what I have read and experienced as a white belt, I don't think there is a "do this" for gym work really. If you are getting overpowered, get stronger. If you are gassing, do cardio. If you are getting tired, do body weight endurance stuff. If you cannot get a hold in, work on flexibility, etc.

BJJ is dynamic enough that each person is gonna have their own patches to fill. Right now at least, i try to identify when my body fails me rather than my technique. My goal is to get to a point where my body is not the reason I am tapping. That means patching a lot of different holes.

also whoever renamed this thread and didn't use boo-jitsu is on my shitlist

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Maybe it is a personal thing because I'm a hobbiest brown belt and just got back into the weight room on a similar program of reps and weight. I'm doing it because I feel like I'm getting out worked by dudes with better muscular endurance/strength.

As an example, usually these guys can't get their sequences off on the first or second try, but later in the match they can because I'm fading in my ability to hold postures or make up for mistakes by clawing something back.

As posted previously I'm also a twig man so gaining like 20 pounds wouldn't be bad either.

We do have a guy who's the opposite of me. He's terribly "unathletic" in that he is kinda an unmoving brick person with no explosion or coordination but he can hold positions indefinitely and is extremely hard to flatten or disconnect limb from core.

I would imagine he doesn't have much to gain trying to increase muscular strength versus say flexibility or like a dance class to get some more dynamic movements.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 4, 2018

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, from what I have read and experienced as a white belt, I don't think there is a "do this" for gym work really. If you are getting overpowered, get stronger. If you are gassing, do cardio. If you are getting tired, do body weight endurance stuff. If you cannot get a hold in, work on flexibility, etc.

The actual, literal entire point of jiu jitsu is to beat power with techinque. If you're getting overpowered, work on your technique. Don't go head to head. If you're gassing, especially as a white belt, it's usually because you're using strength rather than technique, tensing up and failing to relax.

E: No amount of cardio training will reduce gassing from being smothered in side control. Technically sound framing, shrimping and guard recovery will.

Freudian slippers fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Oct 5, 2018

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Does anyone know of a chain place that’s showing quintet? I tried buffalo wild, but no luck. Might have to start my trial of fight pass or something.

Also, does anyone have that handshaking gif from Key and Peale but with belt colors?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Does anyone know of a chain place that’s showing quintet? I tried buffalo wild, but no luck. Might have to start my trial of fight pass or something.

Also, does anyone have that handshaking gif from Key and Peale but with belt colors?

FightPass is only $10 for the month so no much sense saving it for later, as if you did want to maintain a subscription in future it's cheaper than a night at BBW anyways and you'd be asble to watch the first Quintets plus a bunch of other nifty grappling like EBI, old ADCC, etc.

Not to mention all that mix Marshall arts stuff if you're into that.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Freudian slippers posted:

The actual, literal entire point of jiu jitsu is to beat power with techinque. If you're getting overpowered, work on your technique.

the point of jiu-jitsu is to wear spandex while you do cool flips and spins, idiot

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

the point of jiu-jitsu is to wear spandex while you do cool flips and spins, idiot

I thought it was so that you could wear a cool colored gi with cute patches and listen to Brazilian music in the dojo? Or maybe that is just me..

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

the point of jiu-jitsu is to gas in the first minute and spend the rest of the roll in turtle praying

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
My coach Dustin Akbari is doing Quintet today :cool: he has been working on wrestling a ton lately with an olympic gold medalist so he has developed a really fast and wild wrestling based game, should be fun

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

This is nice.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

How formal are your gyms?

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

spb posted:

uuh there's a guy that wears that tuxedo rashguard sometimes

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Wangsbig posted:

uuh there's a guy that wears that tuxedo rashguard sometimes

That's cool. We have to bow going on and going off the mats and tie are belts facing the wall.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

spb posted:

Not really, just extend basic courtesy to everyone, shut the gently caress up when the instructor is instructing, and be a chill dude.

I used to train at a gym that had required team rash guards/branding, bowing before the mat, bowing to the picture of Helio, bowing out after, bowing to your training partner at the end and beginning of class, addressing the coach by title and not by name. I got my blue belt and scrammed when I realized that not all gyms where like that.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Defenestrategy posted:

I used to train at a gym that had required team rash guards/branding, bowing before the mat, bowing to the picture of Helio, bowing out after, bowing to your training partner at the end and beginning of class, addressing the coach by title and not by name. I got my blue belt and scrammed when I realized that not all gyms where like that.

If I was in a town where this was the only option I'd have no hesitation to stop doing bjj and find some other sport to do.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I mean other than needing to wear the team gi/rashguard (which I haven't heard of before and sounds fishy) that doesn't sound bad to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

spb posted:

I mean other than needing to wear the team gi/rashguard (which I haven't heard of before and sounds fishy) that doesn't sound bad to me.

Pictures of Atos are hilarious because it's like a 100 person class all wearing literally the exact same rash guard, shorts, and spats. It's like he's training an army.

I'm at a Gracie Humaita school now so I'm only allowed to wear blue or white gis which cut my collection of punch clothes in half, roughly. We bow on and off the mats(probably) but we call our coaches by name. Shrug