Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

JBP posted:

What does a border security apparatus have to do with funding early learning for Australian citizens?

More education funding for some white children, horrifying torture island for other brown children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

I too, am a single issue voter who cares solely about immigration policy and education, health, the economy, who even cares about that?

e: actually I think this unironically describes a majority of voters in Australia

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

racing identity posted:

More education funding for some white children, horrifying torture island for other brown children

They're not related policy areas. It's the kind of whataboutism we criticise when people scream about the homeless or whatever when immigration or foreign aid comes up. What about indigenous kids in broken communities because of oscillating government neglect and interference? How do they access this cash injection into early learning? We learned nothing about the policy or interrogated whether it's sound and instead watched an interview about something else altogether.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

I mean, let's be honest here, even I'm going to preference the Greens candidates (provided they are not sex pests) above Labor and a big part of that is going to be offshore detention policy, but you can't seriously say that the LNP wanting a medicare copayment, cutting health services and trying to deregulate university to create US style $100000+ degrees while Labor doesn't makes them only superficially different just because Labor's still too cowardly to actually try and fight back on refugee policy.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Aesculus posted:

I too, am a single issue voter who cares solely about immigration policy and education, health, the economy, who even cares about that?

e: actually I think this unironically describes a majority of voters in Australia

Yeah it describes a bunch of Coalition / right wing voters.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

JBP posted:

They're not related policy areas. It's the kind of whataboutism we criticise when people scream about the homeless or whatever when immigration or foreign aid comes up. What about indigenous kids in broken communities because of oscillating government neglect and interference? How do they access this cash injection into early learning? We learned nothing about the policy or interrogated whether it's sound and instead watched an interview about something else altogether.
Excuse me you are talking about people who are making a lifestyle choice here!

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/mar/10/remote-communities-are-lifestyle-choices-says-tony-abbott

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I am a firm believer that immigration policy will shift into something good once they are in government. They are just playing me too at the moment so the Liberals have nothing to campaign about. The reason 2016 was almost a hung parliament was because Labor gave Turnbull nothing to campaign onand nothing to talk about. Bill Shorten is quite a carefully calculated operator, look what the ALP did with the Dutton leaks. They know how to cook a Tory government and I say let them cook a Tory government.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I admire your optimism, but I think they would gain just as many votes from opposing offshore detention than they have by supporting it.

I do hope you're right, and I believe even if they keep Nauru open, I believe they will probably put a stop to the more heinous practices (which Dutton/Morrison will immediately attribute to an increase in maritime arrivals but perhaps this time nobody will care I don't know).

But they had a pretty lovely record during the Gillard/Rudd 2.0 years so don't get too hopeful.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

I admire your optimism, but I think they would gain just as many votes from opposing offshore detention than they have by supporting it.

I wonder about this. They might bring in more volume, but where the ALP needs to win is in electorates full of jerks and that is probably what stays their hand every time (if we want to believe that they actually care about offshore detention being reformed).

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Why do we keep asking Nazi ministers about concentration camps when they're talking about infrastructure projects!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hooman posted:

Why do we keep asking Nazi ministers about concentration camps when they're talking about infrastructure projects!

That's not the point at all and they were interviewing the opposition leader in the lead up to an election. Believe it or not, people care about school funding for their own children as well as knowing offshore detention Is Bad.

e: basically saying lets allow a potentially good policy to be poo poo canned and pilloried by Murdoch while other avenues of inquiry do the exact same thing and bang on about something else irrelevant until the LNP wins because "there's no difference between the two anyway".

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

JBP posted:

That's not the point at all and they were interviewing the opposition leader in the lead up to an election. Believe it or not, people care about school funding for their own children as well as knowing offshore detention Is Bad.

Majority of people don't know offshore detention is bad because the government has made those camps off limits to anyone except morons from News Corpse

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

JBP posted:

Believe it or not, people care about school funding for their own children as well as knowing offshore detention Is Bad.

Bill Shorten doesn’t know, which is why he was asked

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

e: basically saying lets allow a potentially good policy to be poo poo canned and pilloried by Murdoch while other avenues of inquiry do the exact same thing and bang on about something else irrelevant until the LNP wins because "there's no difference between the two anyway".

that and the minister actually responsible won't let the ABC interview him because he's a hyperpartisan fuckwit.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You Am I posted:

Majority of people don't know offshore detention is bad because the government has made those camps off limits to anyone except morons from News Corpse

I think they know it's bad but don't care much. It's the price we pay to keep our parks and public spaces free of black people talking loudly. A price the Australian punter will pay with grim determination.

Don Dongington posted:

that and the minister actually responsible won't let the ABC interview him because he's a hyperpartisan fuckwit.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Anidav posted:

I am a firm believer that immigration policy will shift into something good once they are in government.

jfc

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Anidav posted:

I am a firm believer that immigration policy will shift into something good once they are in government. They are just playing me too at the moment so the Liberals have nothing to campaign about. The reason 2016 was almost a hung parliament was because Labor gave Turnbull nothing to campaign onand nothing to talk about. Bill Shorten is quite a carefully calculated operator, look what the ALP did with the Dutton leaks. They know how to cook a Tory government and I say let them cook a Tory government.

Sauce.
Your.
Fucken.
Quotes.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

JBP posted:

I wonder about this. They might bring in more volume, but where the ALP needs to win is in electorates full of jerks and that is probably what stays their hand every time (if we want to believe that they actually care about offshore detention being reformed).

They don't care, and if they're at all competent they'll quietly bury the issue, because they don't come out of this much better than the Coalition. We already know Shorten won't dismantle Dutton's empire, why would he risk uncovering his party's complicity?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Schlesische posted:

Sauce.
Your.
Fucken.
Quotes.

It's me. :spergin:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

How inspirational is this magnificent nation of ours? I refer to 14 month old conjoined twins Dawa and Nima Pelden, who have been brought to the Royal Children's Hospital from Bhutan in the hopeful expectation of a lifesaving miracle.
Many achievements, many international awards, may conjure up pride in our nation, and in our fellow Australians, but nothing surpasses our kindness and generosity of spirit when the lives of children require our urgent medical assistance.
I'm proud to call myself Australian.

Lyle Geyer, Essendon

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

JBP posted:

How inspirational is this magnificent nation of ours? I refer to 14 month old conjoined twins Dawa and Nima Pelden, who have been brought to the Royal Children's Hospital from Bhutan in the hopeful expectation of a lifesaving miracle.
Many achievements, many international awards, may conjure up pride in our nation, and in our fellow Australians, but nothing surpasses our kindness and generosity of spirit when the lives of children require our urgent medical assistance.
I'm proud to call myself Australian.

Lyle Geyer, Essendon

Fuckin hell.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

My post isn't that bad is it? I've always had some hope for it all. :eng99:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Anidav posted:

A good political calculation would be to circumvent the blanket silence on conditions on Nauru and campaign heavily on conditions there. That's if they weren't complicit in those conditions, of course.

I don't place any faith in the idea that the good guys have to pretend to like the concentration camps to fool the racists but *wink nudge* they actually hate them now.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

snoremac posted:

A good political calculation would be to circumvent the blanket silence on conditions on Nauru and campaign heavily on conditions there. That's if they weren't complicit in those conditions, of course.

I don't place any faith in the idea that the good guys have to pretend to like the concentration camps to fool the racists but *wink nudge* they actually hate them now.

If I was Shorten I'd just throw the doors open to all and sundry in the media and say "look what these monsters did" over and over again.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I say folks when I'm referring to a large group, as I used to say "guys" which was an issue for obvious reasons.

Hello volks

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Keep in mind when Labor undid some Howard era policy the media started running fake stories about refugees on Centrelink staying in 5 star hotels. This was before #fakenews so who knows what would happen if they tried again. It's not just the voters any immigration softening needs to be cautious of, it's the landscape of media assholes who aren't dying anytime soon or if they are they have a child heir who is just as bad. Even if the media landscape in Australia softened on immigration, the internet won't and social media won't. If anything the lies about boat people will only get worse due to how widespread social media is and how quickly news stories from patriotwatchaustralia.info tricks idiot ute driving swing voters. It's a really tough pickle. I don't know if the ALP can fix it but I hope they try.

Anidav fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 4, 2018

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

JBP posted:

If I was Shorten I'd just throw the doors open to all and sundry in the media and say "look what these monsters did" over and over again.

look at what these monsters did with the system we reintroduced and have been complicit in maintaining

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Knobb Manwich posted:

look at what these monsters did with the system we reintroduced and have been complicit in maintaining

I didn't think I had to also note that people can't remember poo poo and saying the same thing over and over works a treat, but here you are.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Saying things over and over again only works if the media is on your side.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
JBP going to bat for Labor over their immigration policy again. Amazing how that keeps happening.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Anidav posted:

Small target shorten

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Fairfax

How JP retired at 28 with millions after growing up poor

By JP Livingston

4 October 2018 — 10:42am

Tl:Dr left out she graduated from Harvard with zero debt and worked for a six figure income straight from harbard and this is to spruik her get rich quick scheme

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Starshark posted:

JBP going to bat for Labor over their immigration policy again. Amazing how that keeps happening.

I've criticised it repeatedly, you can't read and have some wilfully wrong preconception of me.

e: I'm just going to ignore you, the entire page is talking reasoning behind ALP policy (bad policy, but why) and you don't offer anything but having a go at me for talking about it.

JBP fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 4, 2018

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Starshark posted:

:bravo:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Labor won't do anything about the camps because it's too late for them to do anything about them. We've seen from all politicians that at the end of the day they're about saving their skins (and their large pay packets) so Labor exposing the crimes on Nauru and Manus would simply blow back on them since Labor and Liberal have both been complicit.

We would honestly need a new breed of Labor ministers (snerk, laffo) or for the Greens to get power to clean out those camps.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Once upon a time I would've said we could also wait for international intervention but lol, the UN is toothless

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
JBP: Our immigration policy is hosed, but Labor support it because our population is full of racist gently caress heads and it would probably be political suicide to look soft on boats. The whole thing is hosed.

Auspol: Why do you hate refugees on a deep and personal level? Is this why you kill chickens?

GSC: why do you hate chickens?

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
If I’m pooping at work is that time theft?

:itwaspoo:

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

GoldStandardConure posted:

JBP: Our immigration policy is hosed, but Labor support it because our population is full of racist gently caress heads and it would probably be political suicide to look soft on boats. The whole thing is hosed.

Auspol: Why do you hate refugees on a deep and personal level? Is this why you kill chickens?

GSC: why do you hate chickens?

Yeah, we're being so unfair on the guy who pipes up every time someone criticises Labor on immigration policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Labor won't do anything about the camps because it's too late for them to do anything about them. We've seen from all politicians that at the end of the day they're about saving their skins (and their large pay packets) so Labor exposing the crimes on Nauru and Manus would simply blow back on them since Labor and Liberal have both been complicit.

We would honestly need a new breed of Labor ministers (snerk, laffo) or for the Greens to get power to clean out those camps.

There's nothing stopping the ALP excusing it as a temporary need or having spiraled out of control or whatever other bullshit they need to run with. They're going to get slammed by Murdoch press anyway so you might as well shut it down and afford yourself more rope to talk about other policies through the media outlets that don't exist simply to destroy you. You're probably not gaining or losing anything by alienating the people that keeping calling to cops to dob on black people using bbqs either because they're already locked down and only outright murder will please them.

e: idk though there may well be a few thousand (even a few hundred is enough in some seats) Labor voters that hate immigrants enough to punish policy that closes camps or just eases the process.

JBP fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 4, 2018

• Locked thread