Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
At World's End got eclipsed by that other end-of-the-world movie with rear end in a top hat Michael Cera, so I didn't know what it was about except that the world probably ended. So yeah, the bathroom scene kind of freaked me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Krispy Wafer posted:

At World's End got eclipsed by that other end-of-the-world movie with rear end in a top hat Michael Cera, so I didn't know what it was about except that the world probably ended. So yeah, the bathroom scene kind of freaked me out.

I'm certain they chose the blue toilet chemical color for the robot fluid for a reason, no idea why tho. Yet.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I rewatched The World's End last night (by sheer coincidence) and while I still prefer Hot Fuzz that movie is a drat grower. Seeing Pegg play the fuckup and Frost the serious man slowly embracing the insanity is a great inverse of the other 2 works and Gary's personal story is drat strong even with all the actual chaos going on.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MariusLecter posted:

I'm certain they chose the blue toilet chemical color for the robot fluid for a reason, no idea why tho. Yet.

It looks antiseptic and alien and since it stains everything blue it makes for cool visuals.

Also it's the least expected color fluid you'd think would come out of someone's head. I don't think blue occurs naturally (blue feathers or eyes are not really that hue) so that adds to the alien-ness.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

It looks antiseptic and alien and since it stains everything blue it makes for cool visuals.

Also it's the least expected color fluid you'd think would come out of someone's head. I don't think blue occurs naturally (blue feathers or eyes are not really that hue) so that adds to the alien-ness.

Also the staining everything is a nice metaphor for how the Network has taken over the whole village.

While I fully accept that Hot Fuzz is better written and seems to be more universal in its appeal, The World's End is my favourite of the three because of similar personal reasons to Gary, so it hit me a lot harder. I also loved the sheer number of science cliches/references that they made, similar to Hot Fuzz. I think the buddy cop action film is a little easier to parody too which is why there seems to be more inside Hot Fuzz than World's End.

VideoGames has a new favorite as of 13:12 on Oct 3, 2018

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Krispy Wafer posted:

That all came to mind, I came across this video a while back which was really informative on blue in nature, but I think there's something deeper and toilet related. Specially since the first big fight happens in the bathroom.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The swan in hot fuzz is also in Shaun of the dead and the worlds end. The makeup people did a really good Job but all three parts have some major clues usually in the first acts of the movies.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Video Graves posted:

Also the staining everything is a nice metaphor for how the Network has taken over the whole village.

Staining people to show how far the aliens have spread sounds like the most appropriate reason. If it was red it'd look like blood and draw more attention, but blue is more subtle. And the first fight did happen in a bathroom.

I really enjoyed the special effects with the crushed in heads and the Barbie doll arms popping off. The blue toilet water just adds to that.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The World's End really does strike me as better the more I watch it. And I have this terrible suspicion it's less about noticing more details than being able to relate more.

Also for anyone who's not aware, poor Simon Pegg dealt with depression and alcoholism for quite a long while and at least partly regards The World's End as a way of putting that out there, so it's no wonder it feels pretty personal.

In less heavy commentary, yeah, it's a really great stylistic element how the blanks are just hollow with action figure peg joints.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 13:31 on Oct 3, 2018

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I'm a person who watched At World's End without knowing the plot outline first, so I was surprised as the characters were when it all went alien.

I'm not sure it added a huge amount to the viewing experience to be honest. Like someone else said I wasn't too hot on the film in general the first time round- it wasn't until the 2nd viewing quite recently when I realised what a great movie it actually is

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Yes, World's End is much heavier in tone either. It is not nearly as light as Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz and is going for some pretty stark self examinations on the idea of toxic friendships and addiction.

For actual subtle things the names all referencing English court positions like King, Prince, Chamberlain, Page and Knight, but when they see Sam at the Old Familiar, everyone except Gary stands up to meet her which makes sense as a King does not rise for anyone.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

Michael Cera is in This Is the End for less than five minutes before falling into Hell. Also he gets slapped by Rihanna with real force.

It's an extremely funny movie.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Len posted:

Guys me and the fiancee just sat down to watch The World's End and she didn't know it involved aliens. Holy poo poo that must have been a surprise twist ruined by the marketing

I did this with my wife not too long ago. She only saw Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, so I had her watch World's End. During that scene I just watched her face change as she let out a huge "what the gently caress?".

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Shaun is so much better than Hot Fuzz. It has heart, it's funny, better actors. Hot Fuzz is just a series of references to action movies. Yeah I get it, Bad Boys. Yeah it's from Bad Boys. Move on.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
One of the reasons for the blue blood, according to wright, is to give them the sort of boyish look of running around with ink on your hands like you’d get after a day of using a leaky pen in school.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Shaun is so much better than Hot Fuzz. It has heart, it's funny, better actors. Hot Fuzz is just a series of references to action movies. Yeah I get it, Bad Boys. Yeah it's from Bad Boys. Move on.
Last Christmas I made a thing of watching the trilogy in three days and Shaun did strike me as better than Hot Fuzz. Hot Fuzz is still really, really good, it's a close race, but if I absolutely had to come down on one side or the other...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

World's End was really funny the first time I watched it then noticeably less funny when I watched it years later knowing more people like Gary King. It's really good.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Hot Fuzz is great and all but man Shaun is a filmic masterpiece

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea the thing with Shaun of the Dead was that it worked so well as a zombie movie, and yet the comedy was great too. Hot Fuzz doesn't have that same combination in my opinion, it's funny but if I'm in the mood for a good action movie I'd never think to watch it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Just caught Terry Gilliam's new movie, The Man Who Killed Don Quixote.

I genuinely didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
The idea of the “rom zom com” is so inspired that it makes Shaun tough to beat I reckon. I do like in Hot Fuzz that the romantic element is just Nick Angel making a friend though

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I'll use this as an excuse to post this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIg5HkyauoY

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Just caught Terry Gilliam's new movie, The Man Who Killed Don Quixote.

I genuinely didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.

Wait did it actually come out? I thought some last minute bullshit came out that was going to prevent him from releasing it

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

RBA Starblade posted:

World's End was really funny the first time I watched it then noticeably less funny when I watched it years later knowing more people like Gary King. It's really good.

I watched World's End for the first time after I got sober and it was really just a depressing film about an alcoholic in serious denial.
Not to mention I felt like my world was ending when I hit rock bottom so it makes a good metaphor.
That's not to say it was a bad film, mind. It just struck really loving close to home, and if Pegg had his struggles with it too it explains why his portrayal is so spot on.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

rydiafan posted:

I'll use this as an excuse to post this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIg5HkyauoY

Thanks for this channel!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

couldcareless posted:

Wait did it actually come out? I thought some last minute bullshit came out that was going to prevent him from releasing it

No, that was just Gilliam smearing poo poo all over himself while complaining about #MeToo

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

No, that was just Gilliam smearing poo poo all over himself while complaining about #MeToo

Oh come on, are you telling me Cleese isn't the only Python alumni who isn't a dickhead? :(

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

couldcareless posted:

Only in the US for now, it seems, Europe gets it. It's pretty good, too!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Screaming Idiot posted:

Thanks for this channel!

It's part of a family of four. VSauce, VSauce2, VSauce3, and DONG. The first three are all basically the same thing, but with different hosts. The last is a sophomoric acronym for Do Online Now, Guys. It updates the most frequently and is all about cool websites.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Screaming Idiot posted:

Oh come on, are you telling me Cleese isn't the only Python alumni who isn't a dickhead? :(

Are you saying that #metoo needs smearing?

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Screaming Idiot posted:

Well I hate to inform you that Cleese has gone on some rants about people these days being too easily offended, which for a lot of people (esp. older white comedians) is a dogwhistle for "I want to be able to make jokes that punch down, without being called out for it". Unless I misinterpreted, and you already thought Cleese was a dickhead?

I think Michael Palin is squeaky-clean though.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just got around to an old movie that I'd been meaning to check out X: The Man with the X-Ray Eyes (1963). I really enjoyed it. The thing I wanted to mention is that the later parts of the movie do a good job showing how hosed up his eyes get due to the power of the eye-drops, the effects are really otherworldly despite the POV stuff being a bit incomprehensible sometimes.

Initial reveal:

By the end:

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

No, that's not what he's referencing: this lawsuit came up recently:

https://news.avclub.com/french-appeals-court-takes-the-man-who-killed-don-quixo-1826904751

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

BioEnchanted posted:

Just got around to an old movie that I'd been meaning to check out X: The Man with the X-Ray Eyes (1963). I really enjoyed it. The thing I wanted to mention is that the later parts of the movie do a good job showing how hosed up his eyes get due to the power of the eye-drops, the effects are really otherworldly despite the POV stuff being a bit incomprehensible sometimes.

Initial reveal:

By the end:

Is that the one where he basically sees Azathoth at the end?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, that's the one.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Patattack posted:

Well I hate to inform you that Cleese has gone on some rants about people these days being too easily offended, which for a lot of people (esp. older white comedians) is a dogwhistle for "I want to be able to make jokes that punch down, without being called out for it". Unless I misinterpreted, and you already thought Cleese was a dickhead?

I think Michael Palin is squeaky-clean though.

To be fair to John Cleese, he was born a 40 year old British man.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Something nice I noticed in the credits for Venom after the opening scene where a whole ton of astronauts just die in a rocket crash there is a solitary astronaut that survived the crash. It turns out that this is JJ Jameson III (i.e J. Jonah Jameson Jr's kid) which I thought was a nice callback to the comics

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

BioEnchanted posted:

Initial reveal:

By the end:

I got that movie because i'd read a great article about it and i wasn't disappointed,starts off a bit silly but ends on a really weird note and i'm convinced it would be a great remake movie.

"I can see EVERYTHING!"

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Jedit posted:

Are you saying that #metoo needs smearing?

Nah, the opposite. I used to love Monty Python, but then Cleese -- and apparently Gilliam -- turned out to be a chud.

I hate when I can't love the things I love because the creators are assholes. I loved The Fifth Element, until I found out I couldn't anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I can still respect Cleese telling the UK to gently caress off and he's quitting the country to go live on an island until he dies.