Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
e: politics

Turtlicious has a new favorite as of 00:53 on Oct 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Turtlicious posted:

no please, i want everyone to read your defense of john wilkes booth lmao.

e: that's my unpopular opinion, i want you to undelete your post and put back your defense of john wilkes booth.

e2: don't worry, in 15 minutes, I too will edit the politics out of my post because im too craven to stand by my opinions.

I wasn't going to defend John Wilkes booth. I was going to defend southernors. But I get the feeling you don't make a distinction, do you?

Goons are dishonest pieces of poo poo. But that's more fact than opinion.

Blue Star has a new favorite as of 00:17 on Oct 4, 2018

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I remember when this thread flipped its shi t because I said free speech was good. Lol.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wow ur kind of crazy.

Turtlicious has a new favorite as of 00:51 on Oct 4, 2018

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What's craven is making GBS threads on lower class people (which is what bashing the South is really about) and acting like America's racism is due to a bunch of red necks, ignoring institutional inequality perpetuAted by wealthy, affluent elites.

But yeah, sure, I'm defending John Wilkes booth. Uh huh.

loving neoliberals.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Turtlicious posted:

i remember you repeatedly trolling the trump thread for being pro-nazi and then editting your poo poo as soon as you're called on it.

e: or when you were repeatedly being anti trans and posting anti-trans poo poo everywhere even though you're trans*

e2: you suck.

What the gently caress are you talking about? When did I act pronazi?

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Turtlicious posted:

i remember you repeatedly trolling the trump thread for being pro-nazi and then editting your poo poo as soon as you're called on it.

e: or when you were repeatedly being anti trans and posting anti-trans poo poo everywhere even though you're trans*

e2: you suck.

e2: lmao you suck so bad.

e3: just so so so bad.

e4: my unpopular opinion is that you rule :devil:

Lol you keep coming back and editing this. I just have gotten you riled up. It's ok, I have that effect on people. I won't gently caress you, tho.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't think you can gas light me in a thread, you absolute loon lmao.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

did they start using the phrase "riled up" a lot on fox news recently or something? I've noticed some profoundly stupid people have been saying it

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Proposal: make this thread like E/N is/was where you can't edit posts.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Proposal: make this thread like E/N is/was where you can't edit posts.

fukkin agreedo.

my bad opinion: the only places you NEED to edit a post, are DND and Let's Play. everyone should have to stand by what they want to post.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

hawowanlawow posted:

did they start using the phrase "riled up" a lot on fox news recently or something? I've noticed some profoundly stupid people have been saying it

Haha holy poo poo

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
My unpopular opinion is that i enjoy reading "thread drama"

Also that people from the midwest have weird accents and i have no idea how they got them

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

fruit on the bottom posted:

Sherman Was Right (About The South)

Sherman was an enormous racist both toward the native people and toward black people, he was also largely responsible for nearly wiping out the american bison, also due to his lust for ethnic cleansing.

“We must act with vindictive earnestness against the Sioux, even to their extermination, men, women and children.” - “Make them poor by the destruction of their stock, and then settle them on the lands allotted to them.” - "We are not going to let thieving, ragged Indians check and stop the progress of the railroads."

Disappointingly unpopular opinion: Sherman's hopefully rotting in hell where he belongs.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Their was only one nonracist piece of poo poo in all of the Civil War and that was the "Give em hell 54!" guy from Glory. I mean, yeah, he started out racist, but he said that thing and everyone cheered so he was alright.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Aren't the duggars whole hog quiverful people? That stuff always makes me cringe since i grew up around evangelicals. I can't help but wonder what insane beliefs they're hiding.

I was not familiar with that term, but that sounds about right from what little I know about them. From their clothing, I always assumed Pentecostal but google says Baptist. I don't suppose it matters. They're property looks like a cult compound. Even the married adult children have their own houses on the property. And of course, the oldest boy is a pedophile that may have molested some of his sisters but the state police helped them cover it up. They were poo poo before the show and will be long after it. Sorry for the derail.

Unpopular opinion: I don't like alcohol. Wine is a no. Whiskey is a no. Beer is a hard no. I'll have maybe 2 margaritas a year, and if I'm out and feeling saucy, I'll occasionally get a rum and Coke. I just never really acquired a taste for it, and I don't really enjoy being drunk. I also hate coffee. I do enjoy a bit of weed though.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fortnite

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ommin posted:

I was not familiar with that term, but that sounds about right from what little I know about them. From their clothing, I always assumed Pentecostal but google says Baptist. I don't suppose it matters. They're property looks like a cult compound. Even the married adult children have their own houses on the property. And of course, the oldest boy is a pedophile that may have molested some of his sisters but the state police helped them cover it up. They were poo poo before the show and will be long after it. Sorry for the derail.

There's a Bible verse which said that having a poo poo load of children was like having "a quiver full of arrows." There's a modern evangelical movement called "quiverfull" that looked at that verse and said "make as many babies as possible, got it." Some of them take it to the extreme that you should get married before you leave your teenage years and start having children pretty much the instant you tie the knot.

That passage made sense in a day and age when most children born didn't survive to adulthood and you wanted as many children as possible to work your land but these days it is...less of a good idea.

I thought I read somewhere that they were members of quiverfull but Baptist doesn't shock me at all.

Yardbomb posted:

Sherman was an enormous racist both toward the native people and toward black people, he was also largely responsible for nearly wiping out the american bison, also due to his lust for ethnic cleansing.

“We must act with vindictive earnestness against the Sioux, even to their extermination, men, women and children.” - “Make them poor by the destruction of their stock, and then settle them on the lands allotted to them.” - "We are not going to let thieving, ragged Indians check and stop the progress of the railroads."

Disappointingly unpopular opinion: Sherman's hopefully rotting in hell where he belongs.

We like Sherman because the North won. That's it, really; if the South had won (not that that could have possibly happened, mind) he would be remembered as a hideous monster that liked burning things down way too much.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ToxicSlurpee posted:

We like Sherman because the North won. That's it, really; if the South had won (not that that could have possibly happened, mind) he would be remembered as a hideous monster that liked burning things down way too much.

Only if you lived in the south. I imagine in the USA there would be a bunch of people who thought we had only lost because the politicians wouldn't let all the generals go full Sherman and march to the sea

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Goodbody posted:

Only if you lived in the south. I imagine in the USA there would be a bunch of people who thought we had only lost because the politicians wouldn't let all the generals go full Sherman and march to the sea

Much more than you'd expect, and they'd be right.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
imagine being the american south and thinking u could win a war against like, a real functioning society? fuckin wild. it's like a kid thinking they're tough if they win a playfight with their parents.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Yardbomb posted:

Hence the parenthetical.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I’m more of a Grant guy though

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

fruit on the bottom posted:

Hence the parenthetical.

Yeah it was overall less your post, more I get super itchy to piss on him at any mention for being monstrous. :shobon:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That passage made sense in a day and age when most children born didn't survive to adulthood and you wanted as many children as possible to work your land but these days it is...less of a good idea.

It's pretty telling that most of the nutbars that explicitly go for the "quiverfull family" stuff are incredibly well-off, creepy looking "upper-class" stooges. You look up pictures of these people and they're almost always posing in front of the most typical mcmansions, in a bunch of stupid uniform blazers and long skirts church clothes. That and sometimes it starts getting really obvious who the newest few are when they've got like, crazy dwarfed features and halfway translucent skin.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Fair enough. Piss away!

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Ommin posted:

Unpopular opinion: I don't like alcohol. Wine is a no. Whiskey is a no. Beer is a hard no. I'll have maybe 2 margaritas a year, and if I'm out and feeling saucy, I'll occasionally get a rum and Coke. I just never really acquired a taste for it, and I don't really enjoy being drunk. I also hate coffee. I do enjoy a bit of weed

Alcohols fine, I enjoy a Strongbow now and again but can't really stand much else. I have never really enjoyed beer, I've always preferred cider and drank a fair amount of Jack Daniels and coke when i turned 18 but not tasted it in maybe a decade. Whiskey is really unpleasant. I'll very occasionally have a white Russian if I've got friends round and want to be social. I havnt had a hangover since i was a teenager.

I also smoke way too much weed and got addicted to tobacco by mixing it in so there's that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

imagine being the american south and thinking u could win a war against like, a real functioning society? fuckin wild. it's like a kid thinking they're tough if they win a playfight with their parents.

Basically they were hoping they could hang on long enough that some bigger kids (Britain and France, I suppose) would show up and help them.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Ommin posted:

Unpopular opinion: I don't like alcohol. Wine is a no. Whiskey is a no. Beer is a hard no. I'll have maybe 2 margaritas a year, and if I'm out and feeling saucy, I'll occasionally get a rum and Coke. I just never really acquired a taste for it, and I don't really enjoy being drunk. I also hate coffee. I do enjoy a bit of weed though.

There is a genetic thing that makes bitter food taste way more intensely bitter than other people experience it. Do chocolate bars/ice cream taste bitter to you? It does to me and I also can't enjoy any alcohol stuff just because it tastes super awful.

Though I did learn that if you use a french press you can brew some coffee that tastes pretty drat good by doing alot lighter brews than normal coffee.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oliver Cromwell was a great leader.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Aren't the duggars whole hog quiverful people? That stuff always makes me cringe since i grew up around evangelicals. I can't help but wonder what insane beliefs they're hiding.

They absolutely are, and you know drat well (a) their horrible children are also going to go into politics and (b) crank out a dozen babies of their own to keep the cycle going.

That entire family and every single one like it should be loving euthanized yesterday

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I fortunately missed the Duggars show, I was more referring to the ones my mom is constantly watching when I visit home, "Outdaughtered" and that one with the "little people" (sorry if this isn't the right term anymore, I forget what they call them on the show because I leave the room whenever it comes on) who also have a shitload of kids. I just don't see how it is interesting unless you just find babies cute, in which case you could just watch baby youtubes or something and not have to watch the manufactured parent "drama" they jam in every episode.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
PHUO: I dislike Sherman (and the meme pic version of him) but dislike the CSA more.

I also like Blue Star if only because she distracts from my own insane drunk shitposting.

E: Sherman actually didn't burn that much poo poo. His march was remarkably humane and he explicitly ordered his troops to target only war-relevant buildings and southern aristocrats, as well as mentioning that poor southerners should be treated well and were generally favourable to Union occupation. Too bad about the racism.

E2: babies are NOT cute.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 13:02 on Oct 4, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'd say the cute to ugly baby ratio is probably about 1:10. But if you stick a big ol' sun hat on a baby the ratio instantly goes way up. The same trick works for dogs.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I think it should be more socially acceptable to acknowledge a baby's ugliness. It doesn't have to be an insult, it could grow up to be decent looking, but while it is an ugly baby it should be OK to point and laugh at the ugly baby without being that guy who isn't invited to family events by its parents anymore.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I sincerely, honestly and genuinely don't understand why people have children or want to have children. Fair play if you do but I cannot see the reward of it at all and I just don't get it; I'm far too self-centred; I can't imagine anyone but myself being at the centre of my own world. I don't even understand why my parents wanted to have me; I wouldn't want to have me if I was my parents.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'd say the cute to ugly baby ratio is probably about 1:10. But if you stick a big ol' sun hat on a baby the ratio instantly goes way up. The same trick works for dogs.

Agreed re:sunhats

CGI doubles of actors are fine if the movie has the consent of the actor or their estate. Carrie Fisher's tragic passing just tainted them.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 13:27 on Oct 4, 2018

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Wheat Loaf posted:

I sincerely, honestly and genuinely don't understand why people have children or want to have children. Fair play if you do but I cannot see the reward of it at all and I just don't get it; I'm far too self-centred; I can't imagine anyone but myself being at the centre of my own world. I don't even understand why my parents wanted to have me; I wouldn't want to have me if I was my parents.

I'm not for or against having children but i have one close friend who is adamant he never will and I feel it takes a certain level of selfishness and a certain lack of self awareness to make that kinda statement I'm your 20s. Part of me wants kids because it feels a natural part of being an animal and ai wouldn't want to get to 60 and feel i missed that. Good luck to my friend though I'm sure he'll eventually find happiness with his 5 holidays a year and golfing at 7am every weekend.

(Hes also had a decent full time job for a decade and still lives at home with his folks though so i dunno)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Kids are great

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I'm not having children because I have absolutely no faith in the future, and watching a human life I nurtured from infancy and loved more than myself struggle and suffer in the hellworld that's coming seems like the worst possible third act for this one ridiculous life I've been given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CrRoMa posted:

I'm not for or against having children but i have one close friend who is adamant he never will and I feel it takes a certain level of selfishness and a certain lack of self awareness to make that kinda statement I'm your 20s. Part of me wants kids because it feels a natural part of being an animal and ai wouldn't want to get to 60 and feel i missed that. Good luck to my friend though I'm sure he'll eventually find happiness with his 5 holidays a year and golfing at 7am every weekend.

(Hes also had a decent full time job for a decade and still lives at home with his folks though so i dunno)

I hate this person, and children

Except my nephews ofc