Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
It's been a long time since I've done it but I believe doing that fight at high item levels (even synced) causes some really awkward phase skipping too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DizzyBum posted:

I recently upgraded from 1080p to 1440p and it's been great. I don't think I could ever go back. Sadly I took a significant FPS hit, but I was able to get it back by turning off the Screen Space Ambient Occlusion effect.

I have a GTX 970 and it's great for 1080p gaming and low- to mid-end stuff. It's starting to show its age, so I might do some upgrades before 5.0 hits.

Mine is a 1070ti, though I get the impression the GPU isn't the main thing limiting framerate for me (due to the aforementioned thing with Witcher 3 on Ultra having a higher framerate).

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Trying to work my way up to finishing the level 60 goldsmith quest and how the hell do I get Fieldcraft Demimateria III? It seems like the only source is desynthing things that need it to begin with.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
The sane answer is to buy them off the marketboard.

I think the old way people did it was to make a shitload of HQ Darksteel Hooks, trade them for Artisan Spectacles at Talan in Mor Dhona, and desynth those until you get what you need. If you have an FC airship and one other person willing to get you past the 2-person-minimum for the queue, the Diadem has endless amounts of Darksteel Ore for you to tap into.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Kaubocks posted:

:staredog:

god i haven't been able to make it in yet due to timezones but i am dying to go on this game's equivalent of goldshire safari

The best (worst) things are the character personal search comments and people just erping in /say.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
desynthing shoes from the uldah glamour vendor works. 25% hit rate for 5k a pop?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
If that's the music box you might wanna double check if that's III or II...

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Lizard Wizard posted:

Trying to work my way up to finishing the level 60 goldsmith quest and how the hell do I get Fieldcraft Demimateria III? It seems like the only source is desynthing things that need it to begin with.

Desynthing IS the only source for it.

Are you on Excalibur? I can provide you some.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

If that's the music box you might wanna double check if that's III or II...

Good call there. The GSM 60 quest items do in fact require FC2's. So I would just buy them off the MB or ask the FC, unless you've got high enough desynth to acquire your own.

...Come to think of it, I should probably work on my WVR desynth some more. I could be blowing up Adept's gear and each piece only costs a handful of red scrips.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
I'm playing on PS4, and just started the game. Will I need a Sony specific PS4 headset to chat? Or will my normal Corsair gaming headset work?

Griz
May 21, 2001

Dennis McClaren posted:

I'm playing on PS4, and just started the game. Will I need a Sony specific PS4 headset to chat? Or will my normal Corsair gaming headset work?

game doesn't have built-in voice and I don't think anyone actually uses the PS4 party chat or whatever it's called.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Late to job talk but I think the ARR job quests (aside from Ninja) suffer greatly from so many of them having the completely identical structure of "talk to job NPC, go to area and fight waves of enemies, get a tease of an overarching plot, go back to job NPC" until a boss fight at the end.

Open your chakra by fighting waves of enemies until Widargelt pops up to be cryptic! Prove yourself as a paladin by fighting waves of enemies until Solkzagyl shows up to be cryptic! Attain the power of black mage by fighting waves of enemies until the beast tribe black mages decide you have enough!

It's a bad structure and it's baffling when class quests tended to be actual stories. Thankfully they got away from that with ninja and never looked back.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I feel like Summoner handled it decently, given that you're fighting the Egis you are trying to acquire.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
warrior 60-70 is high art, and the bard quests from heavensward on are also real good. can't speak for a whole lot else, since those along with summoner and dragoon are about the only ones i've touched.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Griz posted:

game doesn't have built-in voice and I don't think anyone actually uses the PS4 party chat or whatever it's called.

I'm sure there's at least one PS4 only guild out there that does, but..yeah. If there's gonna be voice chat (which you don't need for 90% of the game anyway) it's gonna be through Discord/Mumble.

Do consider plugging in a USB keyboard though, makes a big difference.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

I was just going to ask that actually. I think it might make things easier with a keyboard/mouse. The controller setup isn't really bad, and I'm sure I would get used to it. There's a lot to take in playing this game for the first time; but after a couple hours online it became more intuitive. Still...

Edit, nm. Figure I'll try both keyboard and controller see if I like one best.

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 4, 2018

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Inflammatory posted:

warrior 60-70 is high art, and the bard quests from heavensward on are also real good. can't speak for a whole lot else, since those along with summoner and dragoon are about the only ones i've touched.

Dragoon 50-60 was really good but Dragoon 60-70 I abandoned halfway because it felt aggressively Nothing.

I also just wasn't having fun with Stormblood Dragoon and switched to Samurai which might be related. :v:

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dennis McClaren posted:

I was just going to ask that actually. I think it might make things easier with a keyboard/mouse. The controller setup isn't really bad, and I'm sure I would get used to it. There's a lot to take in playing this game for the first time; but after a couple hours online it became more intuitive. Still...

Controller has the major major advantage of being easier to set up good easy action bars at high levels

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dennis McClaren posted:

Oh, I just meant for chat. Honestly I can't go back to KB/M for this game. Controller is just too good, to me.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Monathin posted:

Dragoon 50-60 was really good but Dragoon 60-70 I abandoned halfway because it felt aggressively Nothing.

I also just wasn't having fun with Stormblood Dragoon and switched to Samurai which might be related. :v:

It gets significantly better towards the end, but I don't fault you.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm sorry I let Soroban beat up on you Tataru but this is what happens when we let you fight :(

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Learn how to cast DOTs, Tataru. :colbert:

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I saved a O11N run and nobody believed me.

I used the LB3 to save myself, a tank, and a co-healer while most of the party was alive. Right after the cast, the rest of the party died because I used it during triple atomic rays (roomwide AOE) and was animation locked. We slowly rezzed one by one but people were not happy.

Being healer is suffering.

Hommando fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 4, 2018

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Speaking of job quests, I finished the HW RDM line and I didn't get the AF gear. I feel robbed. :negative:

Hommando posted:

Being healer is suffering.

I've been levelling up healers (mostly AST), and holy moly does >50 healing start getting stressing. This may not be the role for me :<

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Speaking of job quests, I finished the HW RDM line and I didn't get the AF gear. I feel robbed. :negative:

I've been levelling up healers (mostly AST), and holy moly does >50 healing start getting stressing. This may not be the role for me :<

The two big things to understand about healing are 1) if your weapon is up to date and people are dropping like flies, it’s probably their fault, and 2) once you learn specific fights you can plan around burst unavoidable phases and negate them with precasts and shields, depending on your healer.

Also trash packs will be the most stressful part of healing, blow your mana and cooldowns there. Bosses in 5 mans are a joke for healing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

RDM and SAM do not give AF Gear at 60. Same with MCH, AST, and DRK at 50.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Edmond Dantes posted:

Keep in mind that healing while leveling is actually significantly harder than healing at max level, despite how counterintuitive this may seem. A lot of the tanks you're going to be running into are likely undergeared or underleveled for that specific dungeon, and you, yourself, are likely undergeared or underleveled. This combination makes it so that everything hits like a truck and your heals can have trouble keeping up pace. Once you get to 70, most dungeon healing as an AST is slapping a Largessed Diurnal Aspected Benefic on the tank, using Time Dilation to extend it, and then spamming Gravity with the occasional Essential Dignity if it's needed.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

The two big things to understand about healing are 1) if your weapon is up to date and people are dropping like flies, it’s probably their fault, and 2) once you learn specific fights you can plan around burst unavoidable phases and negate them with precasts and shields, depending on your healer.

Also trash packs will be the most stressful part of healing, blow your mana and cooldowns there. Bosses in 5 mans are a joke for healing.
I have a (n almost) full set of augmented ironworks and been mostly running the 2.x dungeons, so I should be good, gear-wise. My main issue right now is when things start snowballing: someone aggrod something or ate an AoE they shouldn't have, and while I'm scrambling to get them back out of one hit kill range the tank gets bursted and oh god now my cooldowns are down and holy poo poo when did my health get to 22% and oh gently caress I have cards I should use those.

I'll get used to it, I just like being dramatic. :v:

Vermain posted:

Keep in mind that healing while leveling is actually significantly harder than healing at max level, despite how counterintuitive this may seem. A lot of the tanks you're going to be running into are likely undergeared or underleveled for that specific dungeon, and you, yourself, are likely undergeared or underleveled. This combination makes it so that everything hits like a truck and your heals can have trouble keeping up pace. Once you get to 70, most dungeon healing as an AST is slapping a Largessed Diurnal Aspected Benefic on the tank, using Time Dilation to extend it, and then spamming Gravity with the occasional Essential Dignity if it's needed.
Yeah, I recently ran Dakhold with a tank that pulled the entire frog room and I just couldn't heal through the sheer amount of damage he was taking, even with Lightspeed and Largesse on. He used Rampart all of 2 times in the entire dungeon so I don't feel too bad about it, but it was the first time where I felt I was 100% on the ball and still wasn't quite enough.

And don't get me started on Aurum Vale, holy poo poo what a nightmare to heal.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

RDM and SAM do not give AF Gear at 60. Same with MCH, AST, and DRK at 50.

At least SAM's starting gear looks sick. RDM starter is a clow suit. :colbert:

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
WHM is probably my second most relaxing way to play - though O12 made me go back to RDM because healing it does feel pretty stressful. A lot of the time it's not your fault and people take damage they can easily avoid. Only on some fights (Burn final boss for instance) does it really fall to you to really carry the fight as a healer.

Tanking stressed me out the most, to the point I took until last week to start playing DRK out of POTD and queue as a tank for stuff.

RDM/BLM are pretty chill to play.

Edmond Dantes posted:

At least SAM's starting gear looks sick. RDM starter is a clow suit. :colbert:

Do you mean the musketeer gear? It doesn't look like a clown suit :|

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh, I just meant for chat. Honestly I can't go back to KB/M for this game. Controller is just too good, to me.

Since I also like the use of the PS4 controller, I just bought one of these guys to accomplish what little chatting needs to be done.

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

My husband and I started playing this game last weekish. We started on a road to 60 server and brought some friends along that we severely outpaced (although we do queue with them for any dungeon they need). Currently sitting at halfway through 2.3 quest line, I believe. I'm having an absolute blast and really enjoying the not-hand holding of the story's insistence that you DO DUNGEONS and they have mechanics early on so the ramp up is easier. The castrum and praetorium 8-man dungeons were enjoyable and god awful(cut scenes too long) in that order. Moogle boss has been my favorite so far. This game is fun even if I hate vesper bay with all my tiny lalafellian heart. I started on m/kb and I think that was a mistake, so I'm going to try to figure out controller setup today. Also: botanist feels so rewarding to play alongside culinarian, just roving the countryside finding the perfect HQ ingredients for my dishes. :kimchi:

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yeah, I recently ran Dakhold with a tank that pulled the entire frog room and I just couldn't heal through the sheer amount of damage he was taking, even with Lightspeed and Largesse on. He used Rampart all of 2 times in the entire dungeon so I don't feel too bad about it, but it was the first time where I felt I was 100% on the ball and still wasn't quite enough.

If by frog room you mean the giant cliff area after the ogre boss, that tank probably hosed up, not you, though Dzemel is a massive pain in the arse to tank because sometimes poo poo just aggros you from the other side of the map. And honestly if you're actually hitting Largesse you're already in the top 10% of healers.

Primpin and Pimpin posted:

This game is fun even if I hate vesper bay with all my tiny lalafellian heart.

There's a ferry from Limsa :ssh:

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yeah, I recently ran Dakhold with a tank that pulled the entire frog room and I just couldn't heal through the sheer amount of damage he was taking, even with Lightspeed and Largesse on.

I can understand bigpulling every other room in Darkhold, but you do not gently caress with the frogs. Way too high of a chance that someone gets blown off the edge of the cliff and dies to fall damage, likely pissing off another frog in the process. That tank was dumb and you can't always fix stupid.

Primpin and Pimpin posted:

My husband and I started playing this game last weekish. :kimchi:

Couple things worth mentioning. The devs know how horrible Castrum ad Praetorium are, so they stop doing big long cutscenes mid-dungeon from then on out. The most you'll get in dungeons now is a ten to fifteen second long cutscene introducing the final boss or something, with all of the story stuff being pushed to after you properly leave.

Also I hope you know about the Limsa -> Arcanist Aetheryte -> Ferry to Vesper Bay shortcut, but the plot stops forcing you to pray return to the waking sands so much after 50.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Actually, you drag the toads into the corridor with the pulsing AoE crystals :v:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A ROULETTE INTO THE QUEUE. ITS PRAETORIUM AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, GAIUS SHADOWELSAR. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME HYDAELYN BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY PILOTED THE REALMS MOST DANGEROUS ROBOT. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. LITERALLY 2 HOURS INCLUDING QUEUE TIME EVERY MORNIng

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Last night was the first time I did MSQ roulette for the tomestones and XP (I'm trying to get Shire gear and hit 60) and got Castrum. I almost found it relaxing, but the starting and stopping of unskippable cutscenes in the middle of stuff was really annoying. Do we really need to see a pan out of a searchlight going out and stuff like that?

I'm sort of wary of doing the 50-60 roulette because I've barely unlocked any of those dungeons.

I did hit 60, but for some reason I didn't learn Manafication. I'm assuming I have to complete the RDM quests for that?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
56DR has bad XP rewards iirc; you’re better off just running L/T/24DR versus throwing 56 into the mix because the xp/time is real bad.

Also all of HW’s job buttons are locked behind class quests. Do your class quests.

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

We most often just walked from Horizon, me on autofollow (or inside the 2 seater moogle once we got our licenses) tabbed out looking at stuff I had questions about. Near the end we opted to do the ferry route since we were just steamrolling quests and more confident with where we were and what we were going to be seeing next.

Also, this game is ridiculously pretty and has some amazing set pieces!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

erectoral collage
Jun 15, 2005

Saint Freak posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A ROULETTE INTO THE QUEUE. ITS PRAETORIUM AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, GAIUS SHADOWELSAR. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME HYDAELYN BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY PILOTED THE REALMS MOST DANGEROUS ROBOT. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. LITERALLY 2 HOURS INCLUDING QUEUE TIME EVERY MORNIng

No joke, I would love a solo instance in the vein of Alphinaud and Y'shtola where we play as not-Gaius to show us how he survived the Praetorium. Maybe a preview of the rumored gunblade job? :krad: