Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
oil is about as far as ive gotten as well once i hit that point im like fuuuck this is too much thinking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

MrYenko posted:

Because of the scale you work at in factorio, copy and paste was sorely needed, but ya, export/import of blueprints is a little cheaty.

See copy/paste I wouldn't have an issue with because at least you'd have to have built the thing you are copying at least once. Two Point Hospital has that, no blueprints but you can copy/paste rooms, and that feels a lot better to me.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm having trouble with oil because there are too many problems and I'm not sure how to deal with them all.

The oil fields are far from everything else, my coal seems to be starting to dry up so for coal recipes I'm probably going to need to ship from else where, but biters destroyed my entire base once when I tried to get them out of the way so I have to make sure everything is defended, and to get robotics and solar power so that things are a little easier to manage I still have to work with the oil fields.

Just not sure how to manage this, feels like I have to solve everything at once. Like there's a strict time limit or something.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Pro tip for early oil: Make solid fuel out of the light and heavy oil until you have advanced oil processing to avoid the issue of light and heavy backing up your petroleum production. Feed that solid fuel to your boilers, or stash it until you need to make rocket fuel.

Also if you make lubricant, barrel it and put it on a belt instead of piping it. Essentially you never want store fluids as a fluid if you can avoid it because the fluid system is such a pain in the rear end.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I'm having trouble with oil because there are too many problems and I'm not sure how to deal with them all.

The oil fields are far from everything else, my coal seems to be starting to dry up so for coal recipes I'm probably going to need to ship from else where, but biters destroyed my entire base once when I tried to get them out of the way so I have to make sure everything is defended, and to get robotics and solar power so that things are a little easier to manage I still have to work with the oil fields.

Just not sure how to manage this, feels like I have to solve everything at once. Like there's a strict time limit or something.

Have you automated production of walls, turrets, and ammo? Even into the middle of the game it doesn't take much to defend against biters. Walls are cheep and replaceable. Turrets can be spread out and fed by a long yellow belt behind the wall. If you're struggling then push for the next big coal patch. Put that into smelting stone and plates to make piercing ammo and more walls. You don't need to seal off everything. Just advance a row of turrets in the necessary direction through hostile territory. In a normal map a yellow belt will be more than fast enough to keep the tip fully armed, and on hellworlds I've had to run 2 parallel yellow belts. Bullet damage and shooting speed upgrades make every plate that goes into ammo worth more dps.

Once you do get oil get advanced oil processing (75 blue bottles), military 3 (100 blue bottles), and then tanks (75 blue bottles). A tank with piercing ammo can easily clear out mid game biter nests. Go out, throw down a 2x2 turret pillbox with walls around it. Drive to the nearest nest and start shooting, never stop moving and avoid hitting rocks and trees to keep your speed up. Whenever you start taking damage pull back to your pillbox and let it take care of the aggro'd biters while you repair. Throwing down little 2x2 pillbox's in open area that you've cleared around your base is a great way to prevent migrations from reforming hives in the area. They don't even need to cover 100% of the territory or 100% of an approach. Especially place them around corners or cliffs where water or other obstructions will likely herd migration partys into predictable paths.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Oil can wait.

If you're running low on coal for the smelters that is a real problem. Shutting down science until you get your new supply hooked up will buy you a lot more time than you'd think. Science takes a lot of energy, which means coal for the boilers, and a lot of resources, which means even more coal for both smelters and boilers to power assemblers.

I would make sure ammo is automated and has first shot at the iron. Use your newly made crates and crates of ammo to clear out any biters under your pollution cloud - they'll stop attacking if all the biter bases under your pollution cloud are dead. Piercing ammo is nice, but its expensive and I usually don't switch until later in the game than you are so you can probably manage with yellow ammo which is cheaper and builds faster.

That should give you enough breathing room to hook up a new coal source. If you haven't fiddled with trains yet, I'd suggest belting it in. Your first train will take a lot of time to get running the way you want because they have their own set of rules in factorio. Fairly common sense rules once you understand them, but still different from belts.

Once you have a stable base, you can take as long as you need to get oil up. You'll want to switch to one of the advanced power sources eventually and both require oil. Once you transition to an advanced power source, you'll need a lot less coal. Not 0 coal, but a lot less. You'll still need at least some for grenades and other explosives and you'll probably still be running coal powered smelters for a few hours at least until you've fully transitioned.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Hadn't thought of shutting down science to work on other things, but it would probably make things managable.

I don't know how little coal I have (it's been a while since I played) but my field was small and wasn't really producing enough for everything, had some near catastrophes with several blackouts. Also don't really have automated turret refills. But I probably need to switch to another source. Will try things later.

E: takes more than one turret wall unfortunately, biters are in all directions.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unless you're getting higher tier biters, you can space your turrets at the edge of their range and do well enough that they'll never make it into your factory. A gun might get some damage or you'll have to repair a wall, but that's easy to deal with.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Wrt blueprints, my personal rule is that I never use one until I have fully understood how it works. Which in practice means I mostly avoid the circuit ones and stick to easy stuff like train intersections. Doesn't feel as cheaty if I convince myself I could replicate it.

Also I'm too lazy to go find blueprints that I could instead make myself, so the only external blueprints I have are those me and my friends made/found during multiplayer games.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

MrYenko posted:

Because of the scale you work at in factorio, copy and paste was sorely needed, but ya, export/import of blueprints is a little cheaty.
Export import of your own personal designs is reasonable to avoid feeling like you're solving the same problem over and over.

Net blueprints are a bad idea. Don't do them.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I agree that going too nuts on net blueprints isn't a good idea. There are some net blueprints I do use. Namely modular railroad tracks and balancers. Actually verifying that an 8 to 8 balancer works isn't something I really want to do.

The rest of my blueprints are personally designed. I am probably most proud of my nuclear power plants.
https://imgur.com/4hjMZQl
https://imgur.com/agmTP7Q

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I've never downloaded a blueprint but boy howdy have I made a bunch.

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:

Filthy Monkey posted:

I agree that going too nuts on net blueprints isn't a good idea. There are some net blueprints I do use. Namely modular railroad tracks and balancers. Actually verifying that an 8 to 8 balancer works isn't something I really want to do.

The rest of my blueprints are personally designed. I am probably most proud of my nuclear power plants.

What does that grid in the 2nd one read? How full the steam tanks are?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Please always post your first run belt hell spaghetti factory screenshots.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Filthy Monkey posted:

And I need to document my replacement control logic for your reactors that
  1. Scales to an arbitrary reactor configuration.
  2. Has an input to select the fuel item for nuclear fuel cycle mods

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
I think a chainsaw attachment for the front of the tank would be a great addition, instead of having to turn on the flamethrower to clear the trees ahead of you.

Might also extend the usefulness of the tank against the biggest biters.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

captain innocuous posted:

I think a chainsaw attachment for the front of the tank would be a great addition, instead of having to turn on the flamethrower to clear the trees ahead of you.

Might also extend the usefulness of the tank against the biggest biters.

You can toss grenades from a moving vehicle. It's more useful to clear trees from the path of the car but works for the tank too.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Before bluprints existed, people still went on the internet and copied builds by hand. They were still engaging with the game in that way, just having less fun doing it. Blueprints aren't the problem.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Can't you just run straight over trees in the tank? Maybe it slows you down a little bit I don't remember, but it doesn't stop you. Heck you can do the same thing to biter spawners.

Vernal
Apr 23, 2014

Hemingway To Go! posted:

...and to get robotics and solar power so that things are a little easier to manage I still have to work with the oil fields.
Some good advice in the thread already, but this doesn't sound quite right - solar power can be researched and built without oil products. Introducing solar and shutting down production (especially research) are the easiest ways to dial down the biter attacks in the short term; also, steel furnaces use half the coal of stone furnaces per output, so you should consider them if they're not already present. Solar requires more iron than steam, but you should have a good amount left (and relatively low power consumption) if you're not onto oil yet. I would avoid robotics for now. Try to use up any backlog on the belts or inside smelters before producing more.

Filthy Monkey posted:

Justifiably, the latter one looks splendid!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

misguided rage posted:

Can't you just run straight over trees in the tank? Maybe it slows you down a little bit I don't remember, but it doesn't stop you. Heck you can do the same thing to biter spawners.

It slows you down pretty good. Plus it's fun to blow holes in the forest with grenades. Or fire. Or the main cannon if you enjoy that.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Vernal posted:

Some good advice in the thread already, but this doesn't sound quite right - solar power can be researched and built without oil products. Introducing solar and shutting down production (especially research) are the easiest ways to dial down the biter attacks in the short term; also, steel furnaces use half the coal of stone furnaces per output, so you should consider them if they're not already present. Solar requires more iron than steam, but you should have a good amount left (and relatively low power consumption) if you're not onto oil yet. I would avoid robotics for now. Try to use up any backlog on the belts or inside smelters before producing more.

To add to this, efficiency modules (you can use module 1's for this, which are relatively cheap) drastically reduce the pollution of mining outposts. It's not as effective for throughput as the better modules like production and speed, but if the problem is biters, dropping the pollution by 80% for 15 green and 15 red circuits per miner (which are reusable once the mines run dry) isn't a bad deal.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

katka posted:

What does that grid in the 2nd one read? How full the steam tanks are?
Yeah, it is the percentage of used steam tank capacity. In actuality it has more steam capacity than it needs, as some of the energy can be stored in the plant as heat. That reactor can store the whole fuel cell burn as steam, which is fun because of the lamp display. You get to see it go up and down as you generate and consume the steam.

Vernal posted:

It is definitely one of my favorites. One of the biggest things I dislike in a lot of plant blueprints is needing to be placed in a giant landfilled section in the center of a lake. I find it annoying, as bots can't do it (without mods). Edging off a lake is much easier.

https://factorioprints.com/view/-L63IKLwHrj1bn0Lgr8r

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Blueprints chat, i'm so glad they exist because I have a solar panel field that I made 99% of using blueprints and fuuuuuuuck handplacing all of that.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

There's only a small number of "web" blueprints I use on a regular basis:

1) https://factorioprints.com/view/-L-wB9WO2MsJ-30u7DRc - Expandable digit display
Someone already did the math on this, so I don't really need to reinvent the wheel on this one. I have whipped up some extra smarts with it to do things like a rotating oil display and a nuclear monitor/controller:

(The bottom display is a clock, showing the time left until another fuel cell gets inserted.)

This is also really handy for just plopping down while working on circuit builds for debugging. While I keep the modular single-digit display in my library, most of the time I'm using one of my own design that uses the module and some extra smarts that automatically scales the output to 3 significant digits and gives a suffix:

One day I'll be satisfied enough with it to upload the blueprint.

2) A balanced ratioed solar build with roboport. No link for this one since I grabbed it off someone in multiplayer. This is another situation where I just need something quick and don't need to design something fresh. It has the right ratio of solar:accumulators and tiles, so the only thing to worry about is connecting it to supplies.

3) Blue Belt of Green Circuits - Does what it says, only use this in the very late game when I'm shooting for 1kspm and don't want to design anything - it Just Works.

4) Belt Balancers. Search factorioprints for "belt series" - there are 9 books, 3 of each color, with various splitters, balancers, recombiners, etc. I can slap down a 4:4 bowtie from memory, but gently caress if I'm remembering how to put together an 8:8.

There's a few others I use from time to time, when I'm just trying to get through a certain part of the game to get to more interesting things, but by and large I build/design most things differently for every save.

Not on the list, even though it could be: Rail book. I grabbed the initial version of this from someone in multiplayer, but have since added so many junctions/stations/stackers that it's more than 50% my own designs by now.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
If you're sperging hard and you hate blueprints, just play seablock. There aren't really any good ones that I've found for that. I launched a rocket with a pal and declared victory instead of the space x thing, and you should too.

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

I mean, you can just not use blueprints if you don't want to.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

TyrsHTML posted:

I mean, you can just not use blueprints if you don't want to.

The problem is that scaling up without copy paste is boring tedium, and never solving any problems is boring

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Do it the old fashioned way - design it once in-game, then you can make the blueprint.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Blueprints are the natural extension on the type of experience this game aims to bring. Manually doing everything is boring and tedious after a point. I agree that a good middle point would be to have to manually build something once before you can deploy a blueprint.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I really can't imagine building multiple gw of batteries by hand. Way nicer to make a tilable template and have the robots do it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

SettingSun posted:

Blueprints are the natural extension on the type of experience this game aims to bring. Manually doing everything is boring and tedious after a point. I agree that a good middle point would be to have to manually build something once before you can deploy a blueprint.

I can't see a way for that to happen but I sure wish it could. Unfortunately for me I'm a min maxing easily frustrated perfectionist so it's difficult for me to not use them. I just end up not playing.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Mayveena posted:

I can't see a way for that to happen but I sure wish it could. Unfortunately for me I'm a min maxing easily frustrated perfectionist so it's difficult for me to not use them. I just end up not playing.

Try thinking of it this way. There's no guarantee online blueprints are optimized for what you want to do. In fact, they're often not and the better blueprint designers warn you that their blueprint was designed to do one particular thing.

I've got lots of blueprints that are actively counterproductive in most cases because they take trainloads of resources to make and were designed to be constructed by massive numbers of bots and automated trains carrying new components. Plopping one of those down right at the start of a new map would cost me hours of time trying to build up to a scale I just don't need yet and don't have the resources for.

Ultimately you want to be building layouts that work for you, not pasting down stuff that may not be well suited for your play style.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

LLSix posted:

Ultimately you want to be building layouts that work for you, not pasting down stuff that may not be well suited for your play style.

Thanks! I really need to work more on my personal approach as well, at the end of the day it's only a game and spaghetti is better than throwing up my hands.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Mayveena posted:

Thanks! I really need to work more on my personal approach as well, at the end of the day it's only a game and spaghetti is better than throwing up my hands.

As a fellow perfectionist my go-to solution for paralyzing indecision in games like this is to just say "ugh, ok, everything is bad and wrong but I'm just going to start working on the absolute next project that comes to mind" and then I notice that I need more smelters, for instance, so I do that. If doing that requires something else first (like automating smelter production) I decide to do that, and so on down the line until I reach something that I can actually accomplish at the moment, check that off, and keep going.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The key advice has always been to never tear down anything ever until youre 100% sure its not just redundant, but redundant, inefficient, and unnecessary.

That single grey assember making stone furnaces off of your first stone mine? Leave it, you might need those to make boilers. etc

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

The key advice has always been to never tear down anything ever until youre 100% sure its not just redundant, but redundant, inefficient, and unnecessary.

That single grey assember making stone furnaces off of your first stone mine? Leave it, you might need those to make boilers. etc
I agree with the general sentiment but I think your specific example may be going a bit far. Especially in the early game you often benefit from repurposing old equipment. Once you have a crate full, or even a couple spare stacks of stone furnaces there's no reason not to move those assemblers and miners over to something you need right away. Mid-game onwards, yeah, I never tear anything down unless its in the way.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Some questions:

1. When you have construction & logistics bots that are in network chests, do they count as "active" in the network-- will they actually participate in tasks? For example. let's say I desconstruct some roboports that are housing hundreds of bots. Those bots are moved by other bots into chests. Can they be activated from the chest or do they need to be manually placed into a roboport to become an active part of the network?

2. If it's the latter, what's the best way to deal with this? Will building a requestor chest targeting bots, and then having with an inserter in front of a roboport solve the issue? If you request bots with a requestor chest, will active bots from the network simply fly themselves into the chest? Or will they only bring you bots that were already being stored in other chests in the network?

3. What does "auto-trash" mean? I figured I could set some goods to automatically move to my trash slots if I pick them up, but that doesn't seem to be the case. For example, I set one autotrash slot to do 1K wood, but whenever I pick up Wood, it just sits in my inventory until I manually move it into the trash slots.

4. Can you eventually ditch steam power all together? I have 6-7 huge solar panel farms, but I'm under the impression I do need some base level of boilers and steam generators hooked up to the solar panel/accumulator combinations or they will stop working.

5. I've been having an issue where random stuff keeps ending up in my raw material conveyor belts. Things like engine units or conveyor belt pieces.

My raw material conveyor belts are quite isolated from the rest of my base. The entire pathway is essentially: Train unloads raw resource on to to a passive provider chest --> Inserter moves raw resource onto the conveyer belt, which takes it to the furnace. There is no way the derelict goods are getting there by poorly placed splitters or inserters, because these belts are just no where near the rest of my base.

In addition, the issue has only been occurring sporadically, and I imagine if it were an issue with an improperly placed splitter/inserter it would be quite consistent.

My best guess is that somehow items I'm placing in the trash slots are being delivered to the passive provider chests that house the natural resources as they are moved off the train. In fact I actually saw one these passive provider chest have 1-2 stacks of some random stuff at one point. I know I have enough storage chests in the network, because some are still empty, so why is this happening? I keep all my storage chests in a central location. Could that be the issue? If the storage chests are too far, while the bots just starting tossing goods into passive provider chests instead?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 5, 2018

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Megasabin posted:

Will building a requestor chest targeting bots, and then having with an inserter in front of a roboport solve the issue?

This is it. Bots only work out of roboports.

Megasabin posted:

3. What does "auto-trash" mean? I figured I could set some goods to automatically move to my trash slots if I pick them up, but that doesn't seem to be the case. For example, I set one autotrash slot to do 1K wood, but whenever I pick up Wood, it just sits in my inventory until I manually move it into the trash slots.
The amount you select is the amount you'll keep before the bots start taking items out of your inventory and into the storage.

Megasabin posted:

4. Can you eventually ditch steam power all together? I have 6-7 huge solar panel farms, but I'm under the impression I do need some base level of boilers and steam generators hooked up to the solar panel/accumulator combinations or they will stop working.
You don't need electricity to run solar. You can ditch steam if you have big enough solar/accumulator setup able to meet your demand. Of course both are inferior to nuclear.

Megasabin posted:

5. I've been having an issue where random stuff keeps ending up in my raw material conveyor belts. Things like engine units or conveyor belt pieces.
If your inventory is full, items you deconstruct will drop to the ground. Same thing happens if you unequip your armor with full inventory. Excess items will form An Annoying Rectangle around you.

Vic fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Megasabin posted:

2. If it's the latter, what's the best way to deal with this? Will building a requestor chest targeting bots, and then having with an inserter in front of a roboport solve the issue? If you request bots with a requestor chest, will active bots from the network simply fly themselves into the chest? Or will they only bring you bots that were already being stored in other chests in the network?

Active robots in the network will never go into chests on their own. Bots may end up in storage if you deconstruct a roboport with bots in it. Using a requester chest with an inserter into a roboport is the correct solution. You can hook the inserter up to the roboport and active/total signals for both types of bots will be available so you can decide when to insert more.