Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

What is this, a pepe poster for ants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I mentioned this before, but there are some brazilian chans organizing with the same tactics as the US ones. I've seen some groypers as well.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

nerdz posted:

I mentioned this before, but there are some brazilian chans organizing with the same tactics as the US ones. I've seen some groypers as well.

This isn't actually very new. I remember going on the defunct 55chan like 8+ years ago and learning about loving Olavo de Carvalho for the first time with the psychopaths that lurked there.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Ahahahaha gently caress you Reuters. Gotta love that what -really- irks them is not the violence, threats of dictatorship and such, but that they think Bozo won't deliver all the promised goods to the Market God-Emperor.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...t-idUSKCN1MB1H2

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
https://www.revistaforum.com.br/apoiadores-de-bolsonaro-que-quebraram-placa-marielle-franco-sao-candidatos-do-psl/

Bolsonaro supporters and candidates from his party are going around, vandalizing signs in memory of Marielle Franco (the murdered Rio city council member), and then posting it online.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
In what loving world is Bolsonaro the least worst candidate?

Also great work by the national French News Agency by reporting in English that he was stabbed by a "left-wing activist". Guess which source the Australian poo poo media ran with?

Edit: Facebook seems to suggest a lot of people who are generally PT supporters falling on the side of safety voting and going for Ciro. There's a lot to be said about electing someone who can bridge the divide and calm the rhetoric. Despite having the better policy platform, Haddad winning would be incredibly divisive and certainly damage the fabric of the country.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 4, 2018

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Negrostrike posted:

Haven't noticed these guys are using Pepe the Frog posters. Yep, not nazis at all.

yeah, not nazis at all

https://twitter.com/_DANIELs/status/1047579739098152960

Is quite funny that bolsonaro supporters are still pushing around the "fascism was actually leftist!" theory when 100% of the people who are openly nazi in Brazil (and aboard) are supporting their candidate

I guess that makes it even more powerful: a fascist movement that simply cant see itself for what it is even as it literally marches together with skinheads. And thats the work of Olavo de Carvalho

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Plutonis posted:

What is this, a pepe poster for ants?

That's what I get for trying to post an image on mobile. What the gently caress, Awful/Imgur app?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Elias_Maluco posted:

yeah, not nazis at all

https://twitter.com/_DANIELs/status/1047579739098152960

Is quite funny that bolsonaro supporters are still pushing around the "fascism was actually leftist!" theory when 100% of the people who are openly nazi in Brazil (and aboard) are supporting their candidate

I guess that makes it even more powerful: a fascist movement that simply cant see itself for what it is even as it literally marches together with skinheads. And thats the work of Olavo de Carvalho

A total lack of self-awareness is basically required for fascists.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

hoiyes posted:

In what loving world is Bolsonaro the least worst candidate?

Also great work by the national French News Agency by reporting in English that he was stabbed by a "left-wing activist". Guess which source the Australian poo poo media ran with?

Edit: Facebook seems to suggest a lot of people who are generally PT supporters falling on the side of safety voting and going for Ciro. There's a lot to be said about electing someone who can bridge the divide and calm the rhetoric. Despite having the better policy platform, Haddad winning would be incredibly divisive and certainly damage the fabric of the country.

The fabric will tear all the same if Ciro wins. He'll have no base and will have to basically rent his own rear end to the landowners, evangelicals and mercenaries in Congress to pass anything., and they will turn on him at the first bump. Meanwhile, enraged minions will call the result into question and just flood the world with fake news about how he's a commie too and another of Lula's lackeys ("Haddad was the overt one, Ciro is the secret one!").

There's no coming down from that flashpoint. The country has been feeding this strain of virulent, fact-free HutuXtusi rage for 20 years and they won't accept anything other than control. That, and the fact that there are new organized forces in the scene that just want to kick the system apart to grab more power in the new wave, like the evangelical voter bloc, which has only now really coalesced into apower faction working for itself instead of just shelling out votes to the power of the day.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So this is a thing.

https://twitter.com/ptbrasil/status/1047863916154433536

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Lol, that will work so well

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emDOPPNAq2w

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It begins

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

did it

pressed the buttons, let Jesus take the wheel

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

frajaq posted:

did it

pressed the buttons, let Jesus take the wheel

Im on a loving huge queue to press the buttons because of the loving biometry bullshit, the average age on my section is above 50, half of the old folks have no fingerprints and are taking 5 minutes to vote.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
This is so sad Alexa play Evidências

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Magrov posted:

Im on a loving huge queue to press the buttons because of the loving biometry bullshit, the average age on my section is above 50, half of the old folks have no fingerprints and are taking 5 minutes to vote.

Did you bring your gun? My feed is 60% Bozo voters using a gun to press the buttons and filming it to post online.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Sephyr posted:

Did you bring your gun? My feed is 60% Bozo voters using a gun to press the buttons and filming it to post online.

Where do all those people get the money for guns? They aren't exactly cheap in Latin America

Also if Brazil is anything like Argentina, and you have soldiers armed with assault rifles guarding voting stations, smuggling a gun in there has to be the absolute stupidest thing ever

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Pochoclo posted:

Where do all those people get the money for guns? They aren't exactly cheap in Latin America

Also if Brazil is anything like Argentina, and you have soldiers armed with assault rifles guarding voting stations, smuggling a gun in there has to be the absolute stupidest thing ever

I've worked as a voting clerk for 5 years and we never had soldiers or any armed people guarding out voting station. Or any security on any of the stations I worked at, ever. Once there was a mobile police kiosk down the street, but that was it.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Sephyr posted:

I've worked as a voting clerk for 5 years and we never had soldiers or any armed people guarding out voting station. Or any security on any of the stations I worked at, ever. Once there was a mobile police kiosk down the street, but that was it.

That's weird, I kinda expected the Army guarding voting stations to be a Latin American thing, otherwise how do you stop the seedier elements from stealing/burning ballot boxes?

Mostly though I end up asking the guys with the big scary assault rifles where my table is and I think 99% of what they end up doing is answering those questions.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Pochoclo posted:

That's weird, I kinda expected the Army guarding voting stations to be a Latin American thing, otherwise how do you stop the seedier elements from stealing/burning ballot boxes?

Mostly though I end up asking the guys with the big scary assault rifles where my table is and I think 99% of what they end up doing is answering those questions.

Our corruption and election-fixing works at a different level, basically. Stealing/breaking ballots is noisy, small-scale, and inneffective at this scale. Not saying it doesn't happen (apparently some guy used a sledgehammer on a ballot box today), but it's barely a blip on the radar.

The real fix is controlling who even gets to be on the ballot, who gets TV time, who gets every sentence fact-checked, highlighted, or erased. And Brazil is second to none in that category.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Sephyr posted:

lmao please link this

it will be the only funny thing today

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

lmao please link this

it will be the only funny thing today

I'm dumb and don't know how to embed tweets.

http://twitter.com/BeatleJohn_/status/1048964846790893568

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

:bahgawd:

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Pfft everyone knows that elections mean you vote for a single individual all across the country, that's how it works right, what are parties?

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011
I'm reminded of something I read somewhere before the Trump election, when it seemed he was not going to win, in that the situation was similar to having a house party with 10 friends and voting for what you were going to eat and 6 of them voted for ordering pizza and 4 for killing and eating you. At the end of the day, you were still going to end up eating pizza, but you had a really bad situation going on with your friends, and that's how it feels with Brazil righ now, even if Bolsonaro doesn't win in the second round, you still have a sizeable part of the population actively endorsing straight up fascism, a fascism so bold it doesn't even bother hiding it by using the dog whistles far right parties use in other countries.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Max Awfuls posted:

I'm reminded of something I read somewhere before the Trump election, when it seemed he was not going to win, in that the situation was similar to having a house party with 10 friends and voting for what you were going to eat and 6 of them voted for ordering pizza and 4 for killing and eating you. At the end of the day, you were still going to end up eating pizza, but you had a really bad situation going on with your friends, and that's how it feels with Brazil righ now, even if Bolsonaro doesn't win in the second round, you still have a sizeable part of the population actively endorsing straight up fascism, a fascism so bold it doesn't even bother hiding it by using the dog whistles far right parties use in other countries.

I mean yeah, the worst part of this, just like in the US is not that candidates like Trump and Bolsonaro exist. The bad part is the demand for them. Even if he loses now we only get at most 4 more years before he's elected.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Max Awfuls posted:

Noblat (journalist in Brazil) says that the IBOPE exit poll (which is embargoed for another 40 minutes) will show Bolsonaro winning in the first round.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Great, can't wait until we resurrect Hitler's corpse and make him God-Emperor of Latin America

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Pochoclo posted:

Great, can't wait until we resurrect Hitler's corpse and make him God-Emperor of Latin America

Nice try, implying that he isn't still alive in Brazil somewhere

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Grapplejack posted:

Nice try, implying that he isn't still alive in Brazil somewhere
He'd be 130 which is currently impossible.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Grouchio posted:

He'd be 130 which is currently impossible.

Looks like you've found the flaw in the logic of "Hitler is actually living the highlife in Brazil"

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Everyone knows he went to the Patagonia anyway

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Also can foreign intervention protect the Amazon from Bolsonaro's policies?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Grouchio posted:

Also can foreign intervention protect the Amazon from Bolsonaro's policies?

My dude, the hell are you talking about. Also please NEVER use the words "foreign intervention" when talking about Latin America, we had enough of that poo poo.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Con el 68,27% de las urnas escrutadas, el líder ultraconservador obtiene el 46,38% de los votos mientras Haddad, del PT, recibe el 25,25%

Full Hellworld timeline confirmed worldwide (but with ballottage)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dias posted:

My dude, the hell are you talking about. Also please NEVER use the words "foreign intervention" when talking about Latin America, we had enough of that poo poo.
Bolsonaro has expressed wishes to let mining corps raze swaths of the Amazon, so I'm concerned that in the event of this suceeding that the forest loss would speed up the climate feedback.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Pochoclo posted:

Con el 68,27% de las urnas escrutadas, el líder ultraconservador obtiene el 46,38% de los votos mientras Haddad, del PT, recibe el 25,25%

Full Hellworld timeline confirmed worldwide (but with ballottage)

That got instantly adjusted to 48 and change. It's funny, since all these surprises and sudden bumps were happening against him, instead of in his favor, you know he'd be calling foul.

Grouchio posted:

Bolsonaro has expressed wishes to let mining corps raze swaths of the Amazon, so I'm concerned that in the event of this suceeding that the forest loss would speed up the climate feedback.

In what world would there be foreign intervention against large corporations and in favor of the environment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Next season of Dumbest Timeline: The CIA stages a coup to protect the rainforest.