Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
He was in the end of Bendis' Spider-Man where iirc, in the middle of a big fight he realizes his team doesn't have a shot at winning so he just says "gently caress this, I'm out" and blows away into the wind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

good day for a bris posted:

Zdarsky's Spectacular Spider-Man just started an arc with him.

And finished. He's, like, immortal now or something.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

He's sorta alway been immortal.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

I think he was in an issue of spider-woman near the end

Yeah, he was basically the proving ground supervillain fight for Jessica's boyfriend after he reformed and was trying to be a superhero.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Aww man, gonna have to run to the shop for this. I absolutely loved the last issue with Peter sneaking into the hospital to sit with Sandman as he was in hospice care, it would actually fit in this thread very well.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I really thought they meant the Neil Gaiman character and I was gonna be like 'yeah, the new sandman universe stuff is great!'

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Somberbrero posted:

I really thought they meant the Neil Gaiman character and I was gonna be like 'yeah, the new sandman universe stuff is great!'

Wait, there is new Sandman stuff? :monocle:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Wait, there is new Sandman stuff? :monocle:

DC has a new initiative called "Sandman Universe" which was spearheaded by Gaiman (he came up with the concepts but isn't writing any of the ongoing series) and is spinning off into 4 comics.

House of Whispers
Writer: Nalo Hopkinson
Illustrator: Dominike Stanton
The Houses of Mystery and Secrets are joined by the House of Whispers, after a woman named Latoya's girlfriend and sisters accidentally conjure the voodoo deity Erzulie, steal its essence, and cause their home to crash into the Dreaming.

The Books of Magic
Writer: Kat Howard
Illustrator: Tom Fowler
The Books of Magic is a sequel to the 1990 limited series. Timothy Hunter is torn between using his magic skills for good or evil. Magic gets in his way at school, but a substitute teacher offers to teach Tim how to master his powers.

The Dreaming
Writer: Si Spurrier
Illustrator: Bilquis Evely
The Dreaming focuses on supporting characters from The Sandman, such as Lucien the librarian, Matthew the Raven, and Nuala of Faerie. In the series, these characters try to search for Dream as his kingdom falls into darkness.

Lucifer
Writer: Dan Watters
Illustrators: Max Fiumara and Sebastian Fiumara
Lucifer Morningstar—blind, suffering from amnesia, stuck inside the body of an old man, and living in poverty—is trapped in a town where no one can leave. However, a policeman suffering from brain cancer in Los Angeles has made it his top priority to find Lucifer and kill him.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Goddamnit.

*updates pull lists*

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Is it just me or does the Dreaming fall into darkness a lot

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Is it just me or does the Dreaming fall into darkness a lot

Wouldn't be much of a series if they sat around and ate baklava and talked about old Norm McDonald bits from Weekend Update.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
its because he keeps sleeping on the job

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

muscles like this! posted:

DC has a new initiative called "Sandman Universe" which was spearheaded by Gaiman (he came up with the concepts but isn't writing any of the ongoing series) and is spinning off into 4 comics.

House of Whispers
The Houses of Mystery and Secrets are joined by the House of Whispers, after a woman named Latoya's girlfriend and sisters accidentally conjure the voodoo deity Erzulie, steal its essence, and cause their home to crash into the Dreaming.

The Books of Magic
The Books of Magic is a sequel to the 1990 limited series. Timothy Hunter is torn between using his magic skills for good or evil. Magic gets in his way at school, but a substitute teacher offers to teach Tim how to master his powers.

The Dreaming
The Dreaming focuses on supporting characters from The Sandman, such as Lucien the librarian, Matthew the Raven, and Nuala of Faerie. In the series, these characters try to search for Dream as his kingdom falls into darkness.

Lucifer
Lucifer Morningstar—blind, suffering from amnesia, stuck inside the body of an old man, and living in poverty—is trapped in a town where no one can leave. However, a policeman suffering from brain cancer in Los Angeles has made it his top priority to find Lucifer and kill him.

Issue 1 of these two are already out. Lucifer is out October 17, Books of Magic October 24.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

House of Whispers

The Books of Magic

The Dreaming

Lucifer
DC is doing a Marvel Unlimited streaming thing right? Is this stuff on it?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Galvanik posted:

DC is doing a Marvel Unlimited streaming thing right? Is this stuff on it?

Not really and no.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

We have rules against piracy and every single page of Peter Parker #310 belongs in this thread. So just go buy it! It's worth every penny and more.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

X-O posted:

We have rules against piracy and every single page of Peter Parker #310 belongs in this thread. So just go buy it! It's worth every penny and more.

I had been neglecting my subscriptions for a while, and... wow. I thought 308 and 309 were good, but 310 just blew those out of the water.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Proteus Jones posted:

I had been neglecting my subscriptions for a while, and... wow. I thought 308 and 309 were good, but 310 just blew those out of the water.

Where does the current storyline start?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Toshimo posted:

308-309 are one story. 310 is standalone and the end of Zdarsky's run.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toshimo posted:

310 is a standalone issue, Zdarsky's last on the title, and is basically a loveletter to the essence of Peter Parker the man and Spider-Man the hero. It's one of the greatest single issues of any comic I've ever read and I legit teared up reading it.

If someone ever asked me to direct them to one issue that defined a character as a whole I would point to this issue.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Toshimo posted:

310 is standalone.

308 and 309 are mostly stand alone, but a key plot point is obliquely related to his multi-versal hopping around he did for the 6 issues or so prior. As it's fallout from it, but nothing related to anything directly in the prior issues other than Pete moving through multiverse gateways.

X-O posted:

310 is a standalone issue, Zdarsky's last on the title, and is basically a loveletter to the essence of Peter Parker the man and Spider-Man the hero. It's one of the greatest single issues of any comic I've ever read and I legit teared up reading it.
:same:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I decided to take you guys' word and spend the $3.99.

I need every person who has ever liked Spider-Man to do the same. Thank you.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You know the comic with all the different panels of people talking about Wolverine? The one that, if used correctly, can basically be the perfect summation of a character? This comic is that, but longer and Spider-Man. It's great.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

X-O posted:

If someone ever asked me to direct them to one issue that defined a character as a whole I would point to this issue.

This 100%.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

What If Flash Thompson Became Spider-Man?

Flash does the hero thing and is competent enough (including clotheslining the hell out of Uncle Ben's would-be killer), but he also fights crime like a bully. He doesn't kill criminals or anything, but he does go overboard on beating them up when they've already given up. Flash feels underappreciated and his unmasked life is poo poo since he dropped out of high school and now lives in a trailer.

Meanwhile, Peter has been selling photos of Spider-Man to pay for Aunt May's medical bills. Unfortunately, the doctors need a specific radioactive isotope to treat her and they were stolen en route by "The Master Planner." Peter uses a hidden tracker to find out that Flash is Spider-Man. Peter begs him to help save Aunt May, but Flash is too busy freaking out and blaming Peter for his own problems.

Spider-Man tears the underworld apart looking for answers on where the Master Planner is. He finally finds him to be Doc Ock and they fight it out. The headquarters is destroyed and the wreckage falls over Flash.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Peter Parker's gonna make it through a What If one day, you'll all see.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Cassa posted:

There's a couple he does, he survives one of them because the events in it prevent him from becoming Spider-Man in the first place(as well as several other heroes), and the one where he keeps the Captain Universe powers also ends that way

Hard to say whether What If: The Other counts for this though

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Guess I'm buying that What If?

Gavok is me if I didn't smoke so much weed.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

drrockso20 posted:

There's a couple he does, he survives one of them because the events in it prevent him from becoming Spider-Man in the first place(as well as several other heroes), and the one where he keeps the Captain Universe powers also ends that way

Hard to say whether What If: The Other counts for this though

There's another "What if Flash got the spider bite" where Flash becomes an out-and-out villain, and Peter becomes a gadget hero to stop him. (MJ dies in that one, though.)

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Who's the new Watcher?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nick Fury.

I'm not kidding

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Nick Fury.

I'm not kidding

That's dumb. Dude's missing an eye. The only person worse at watching poo poo would be Matt Murdock.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cassa posted:

Forget Spider-man, Kingpin's the one who can't catch a break.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

That he isn't guillotined in every What If? is a goddamned crime.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Toshimo posted:

That's dumb. Dude's missing an eye. The only person worse at watching poo poo would be Matt Murdock.

It's not like you actually need eyes for cosmic awareness

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
fury probably wears his watches with hte face on the inside of his wrist

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Is there a What If where Kingpin actually achieves world domination? I'd read that, especially in a mini (I guess OML counts)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kingpin doesn't really want world domination, though. He's ambitious and greedy by normal standards, but he knows not to overreach like some other super-villains. He's perfectly happy running a vastly profitable criminal empire in NYC, most of the time.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah. Spider-Man dies a lot because Spider-Man shows up a lot. If I did the math, I'm sure his live:die ratio is fine.

Kingpin's constantly getting killed by Frank Castle, Elektra, Daredevil and even Spider-Man. In terms of surviving, there's the "What If Spider-Man's Clone Survived?" issue where the two Parkers simply apprehended him. Then there's the one where Frank Castle's family is killed by corrupt cops and Kingpin's like, "This guy is totally going to kill me," near the end.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is there a What If where Kingpin actually achieves world domination? I'd read that, especially in a mini (I guess OML counts)

Strangely, yes. Sort of.

There's an issue where Vision becomes like SkyNet and tries to convince all the superheroes to work towards creating a utopia. This splits into two stories. In one of them, the heroes agree and succeed. Fast-forward into the future where the Cosmic Avengers are beating up the united team of the Skrulls, Kree and Badoon to finally bring galactic peace.

The second story has one country nuke NYC during that superhero meeting. The world is in chaos and Vision decides to put together a team to force order on the world: Dr. Doom, Mad Thinker, Hydra and the Kingpin. Together, they succeed. Fast-forward into the future where they're the ones crushing the Skrull/Kree/Badoon alliance. Only in the future, the team is made up of a Dr. Doom clone, an android with Mad Thinker's mind and a new Madam Hydra. At some point, Kingpin was completely phased out because what does he even bring to that table?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
One of the few What If...? comics I remember buying and reading as a teenager was "What If Spider-Man Never Lost His Four Extra Arms?" He managed to not only survive that one, but apparently having the extra four arms made him much better at being a hero, to the point where a blurb at the end mentions that he was able to prevent Gwen Stacy's death. It also featured Reed Richards being semi-useful for once; he wasn't able to remove Spidey's extra arms like Spidey was hoping for, but he did eventually remember some old technology he'd made to simulate Sue's invisibility powers and used it to create some special gloves Peter could wear to hide the extra arms and keep his civilian identity secret.

Michael Morbius died early on in the issue, which is why Peter wound up being unable to create a serum to remove his extra arms; Morbius's blood was a key component for that in the original timeline.