Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

kirbysuperstar posted:

I have like one friend in this hemisphere
make more friends :angel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is there a way to check which games have just updated?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SelenicMartian posted:

Is there a way to check which games have just updated?

Nope, not unless there's a news item. It really shits me that all you get is "Blabla & 1 more updated" for about two seconds and that's it.

I'm pretty sure Paladins sucked down 6GB off my mobile plan this morning because I didn't leave the system in flight mode :downs:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I didn't have a NES/SNES as a kid and never played Megaman. I like platformers but you're all making it sound frustrating.

For reference, I love the poo poo out of Dead Cells but find The Messenger quite frustrating and probably won't be finishing it. Should I bother with Megaman?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

try the demo and see if it feels good.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

speaking of dead cells, I finally got the wall climb rune, but then when I next got to promenade of the condemned, I scoured the whole place and only found two gardeners keys, so what the gently caress.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

psylent posted:

I didn't have a NES/SNES as a kid and never played Megaman. I like platformers but you're all making it sound frustrating.

For reference, I love the poo poo out of Dead Cells but find The Messenger quite frustrating and probably won't be finishing it. Should I bother with Megaman?
If you didn't play a classic Megaman game as a kid I can't imagine you'd like it much. It's an extremely competent action platformer but it's also entirely rooted in nostalgia.

Definitely check out the demo though. I had fun with it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Someone please realtalk with me why the Switch has no licensed car games besides that lovely mobile port Gear.Club Unlimited, from the makers of TDU 1 & 2.

No sim racing games, and no arcade racers either. I mean, for gently caress's sake, Gameloft should have two Asphalt games on this thing by now.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Nintendo Switch Pro or Nintendo Switch Lite?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

Lite, XL, etc. XL with bigger cons would probably make a lot of people happy. Probably a half right rumor either way.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

punk rebel ecks posted:

Nintendo Switch Retina Display

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I'd be a little annoyed if it were anything other than just a Lite + joy cons with a real d-pad.

Only for selfish reasons, I just got a switch like a month ago

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I just performed my second successful Joy Con surgery to correct stick problems. I know the electronics inside do really cool stuff, but everything else about them feels cheap, like the entire assembly could be accidentally crushed in your hand like an egg. By comparison I've also repaired Xbone controllers and they feel really solid and well made.

night slime
May 14, 2014
What the gently caress is with them bringing back the stupid account tied to a system poo poo if they're going to make a new Switch version? Jesus christ.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

night slime posted:

What the gently caress is with them bringing back the stupid account tied to a system poo poo if they're going to make a new Switch version? Jesus christ.

p sure the first half of your post is wrong.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

I'm calling it: VR

edit: no really, change out the Tegra X1 for a Tegra X2, and change out the display for 1440 IPS, and you're all set to pop that sucker into a headset

edit 2: call it Super Virtual Switch

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 4, 2018

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

https://twitter.com/SplatoonNews/status/1047427205133950977?s=20

I really hope this means Nintendo is transitioning from “two years of updates and that’s it” to a more live service game with Splatoon 2. It’s already better then 99% of others out there thanks to no predatory micro transactions and if they support further development by releasing DLC like the Octo expansion I’m down as all hell

LethalGeek posted:

Splatoon 2, More Than A Year After Release, Was Japan's Best-Selling Game In August

I mean...one would hope given the feedback they are getting. This poo poo is bananas

edit: oh and it has the highest attachment rate on the Switch in Japan. Not excluding mario or zelda, straight up #1.
I wouldn't count on it:

The Splatoon US Tumblr posted:

The new stage in early October will be the final one to be added, though we’ll keep adding weapons until December. Also, look forward to more Splatfests until July 2019. We hope that you will continue to enjoy Splatoon 2.
Granted, more cosmetic theme events like Splatoween are entirely possible throughout this last run (the final one will almost certainly be a big event), but I don't think they're going to keep pushing the finishing line back forever.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Zero VGS posted:

edit: no really, change out the Tegra X1 for a Tegra X2, and change out the display for 1440 IPS, and you're all set to pop that sucker into a headset

You could play Beat Saber with the joycons, and really that's all I care about.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Can someone recommend me an Nintendo eShop demo of a fighting or platform brawler that will destroy my faith in the joy cons and force me to buy a pro controller?

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Nintendo wants the nerds who already have a Switch to buy a newer better one just in time for next year's pokemon game.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the new switch just has 2DS compatibility

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'M BACK

I think some poo poo came out in September but w/e, you guys can figure it out.

This week's drop (all releases Oct 4, unless otherwise stated).

Note: eShop updates at 12 noon EDT/9am PDT for NA, 15.00 CEST/14.00 BST for Europe.

Switch
ACA NeoGeo Zupapa! - $7.99 / £6.29 / €6.99
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Zupapa! is an action game released by SNK in 2001. Manipulate the brave young Zupapa and Zupipi to save the Zucco who were taken by someone! Please enjoy!

Animated Jigsaws: Japanese Women - $9.99 / £7.99 / €8.99 (Oct 5)
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Complete moving jigsaw puzzles alone or team up with friends and finish them together!

Batman: The Enemy Within - $39.99 / £ ? / € ? (Oct 2 NA / ? EU)
Digital - [NA] [EU]
In this latest chapter from the award-winning studio behind Batman - The Telltale Series, both Bruce Wayne and Batman will be forced into precarious new roles. The Riddler has returned to terrorize Gotham City, but his gruesome puzzles merely foreshadow an even greater crisis. With the arrival of a ruthless federal agent and the return of a still nascent Joker, Batman must navigate uneasy alliances while Bruce Wayne undertakes a perilous series of deceptions. Which of Batman’s new allies will you choose to trust? And how deep into the darkness will you let Bruce descend? Includes access to all five episodes in this all-new season from the award-winning studio, Telltale Games.

Frutakia 2 - $3.99 / £ ? / € ?
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Frutakia is back and better than ever! Match 3 or more fruits and level up! Go ahead and move any row up or down! We dare you to discover its ultra-addictive gameplay, play once and that’s it... Simple and smart gameplay, ideal for short periods of time, like buses, trains.

Gaokao.Love.100Days - $11.99 / £8.99 / €9.99 (Sep 24 NA / Oct 1)
Digital - [NA] [EU]
This is a dating simulation game based on Chinese students' real life. You can have romantic relationships with classmates, but remember that you have just 100 days while preparing for the “Gaokao” (National College Entrance Exam), the exam that may change your destiny. Keep a balance between score and romance, or just drop one and see what would happen. There are over 10 story lines and will lead to more than 50 endings.

Hot Gimmick Cosplay-jong - $20.00 / £ ? / € ? (Oct 4 NA / ? EU)
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Psikyo is coming back!! The No.1 Mahjong arcade game is coming back to Nintendo Switch! The basic mode is playing with NPC. Of course, you are able to enjoy one mahjong after another with girl.

Jettomero: Hero of the Universe - $13.00 / £ ? / € ?
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Play as Jettomero, a giant, indestructible, and incredibly clumsy robot determined to save the human race. Explore a procedurally generated universe by flying through space and landing on planets while trying not to destroy everything in your path. Relax as you blast through the cosmos on a hero's uncertain quest. Will you ever save the humans? Jettomero offers a unique and charming experience for players of all backgrounds.

Kemono Friends Picross - $9.99 / £ ? / € ?
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Picross now has KEMONO FRIENDS! Now you can make dot pictures of cute Friends. There are 300 Picross and Mega-Picross puzzles! Plus Clip Picross, where you solve puzzle pieces to complete an image. Help functions and tutorials to help new players. Friends will appear in the Gallery when you clear a puzzle. Mimamori Friends watch over your progress in the corner of the screen. KEMONO FRIENDS PICROSS, filled with the world of KEMONO FRIENDS! Give it a try! *Not compatible with the Touch Screen.

Mega Man 11 - $29.99 / £24.99 / €29.99 (Oct 2)
Retail/Digital - [NA] [EU]
The eleventh entry in this global multi-million-selling series blends classic challenging 2D platforming action with a fresh new visual style. The new double-gear system lets you boost Mega Man's speed and power for a new twist on the satisfying gameplay the series is known for. A variety of difficulty modes makes this the perfect opportunity to experience Mega Man for the first time! The game features a variety of extra modes including time trials and missions, global leaderbords, a gallery of concept art and more!

The Midnight Sanctuary - $9.99 / £ ? / € ?
Digital - [NA] [EU]
A curious, haunting tale. Is it salvation which the Saint who descended into this isolated village brings... or is it the end of things? An occult horror visual novel wrought by mystical visuals & talented voice artists.

oOo: Ascension - $9.99 / £ ? / € ?
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Indie arcade hit oOo: Ascension is out on Nintendo Switch! Navigate your ship through short but ferociously difficult levels in the shortest time possible without touching any walls, spinning blades, lasers or countless other hazards that will try to destroy you in the process. oOo: Ascension revisits the ramping difficulty of old-school arcade games, whereby each challenge CAN be completed in a matter of seconds - however doing so ranges in difficulty from hard to straight-up rage-inducing.

Party Crashers - $15.00 / £13.49 / €14.99
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Fast-paced battle-racing with a retro-future aesthetic for 1–4 players*. With over 50 included game modes and almost endless customisation, Party Crashers is amazingly fun out-of-the-box, and then let’s you create your own fun. Crash your way through varied game modes inspired by decades of racing games.

Revenant Dogma - $12.99 / £ ? / € ?
Digital - [NA] [EU]
What is the fate of those who have acquired divine power? Discover it in a fantasy RPG featuring stunning 3D battles! Caine enters a ruins site in search of a feral relic said to be left behind by the gods and meets a mysterious girl in a mask. This strange encounter becomes the catalyst of a grand scheme that will change the worlds of humans and therians. Will this new-found power lead to prosperity or destruction?

Six Sides of the World - $8.00 / £ ? / € ?
Digital - [NA] [EU]
“Six Sides of the World” is a puzzle videogame that takes you into an intergalactic journey through different star systems riddled with brain-racking challenges. Spatial orientation, logic and pure wit will be your weapons to go through the different cube shaped planetary systems. Each level will bring the threats to a whole new level, adding all kinds of sci-fi hazards: from portals to laser beams. You will need to carefully analyze each cubic planet to understand its dangers and potential solutions. Rushing might lead you to death: it’s all about breaking down each puzzle and finding the right pace.

Soulblight - $14.99 / £ ? / € ?
Digital - [[url=https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/soulblight-switchNA[/url]] [EU]
Soulblight is a dark, unforgiving, top-down action roguelike luring you to cross the thin line between good and evil. Instead of XP grinding, it introduces a Tainting Mechanics. While traveling through the shattered reality of the Sanctuary, you will receive personality traits based on your choices. These will be the main source of your strength. To harness them, you will have to act accordingly. Becoming an alcoholic means that you will be rewarded for getting drunk, but from that point being sober might prove to be unbearable.

Splash Blast Panic - $14.99 / £ ? / € ?
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Ruin your friendships with some jetpack and watergun mayhem! SPLASH BLAST PANIC is a multiplayer competitive party game where you must shoot, ram, dodge and overall bully your opponents outside the screen with a variety of watergun-based weaponry. Inspired by old arcade titles as well as newer competitive party games, ruin all your friendships in a variety of stages.

Super Mario Party - $59.99 / £49.99 / €59.99 (Oct 5)
Retail/Digital - [NA] [EU]
The Mario Party series is coming to the Nintendo Switch system with super-charged fun for everyone! The original board game style has been kicked up a notch with deeper strategic elements, like specific Dice Blocks for each character. The game also introduces all-new ways to play, including Joy-Con controller enabled minigames, and new modes to enjoy with family and friends. Board game play goes back to the four-player basics as you take turns and race across the board searching for Stars. You can also pair up two Nintendo Switch systems and delight in this dynamic play style, such as in the new Toad’s Rec Room mode. And, for the first time ever in the series, test your skills against other Mario Party fans in a new online minigame mode.

Trouserheart - $7.99 / £ ? / € ?
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Unsheathe your sword and journey through a realm filled with monsters, traps and treasures! Defeat monster mobs, slay bosses, hoard treasure and upgrade your sword, shield and armor. Follow your trousers to the world's end and claim what is rightfully yours! Trouserheart is all about fun, instantly accessible, pick up and play hack'n'slash gameplay with playful art style and humorous tone. The game offers two difficulty levels and even an optional perma-death mode for the bravest of adventurers!

True Fear: Forsaken Souls - Part 1 - $9.99 / £ ? / € ? (Oct 3)
Digital - [NA] [EU]
True Fear: Forsaken Souls combines the best of the psychological thriller with intuitive gameplay mechanics for a mind-bending mystery escape game. If you're looking for a horror game that doesn’t sacrifice the story, this is the game for you! Skeptical that a point and click adventure can be compelling or scary? Try the free demo!

Valthirian Arc: Hero School Story - $14.99 / £ ? / € ? (Oct 2)
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Run your own fantasy RPG academy! Oversee the development of your hero school, build structures, upgrade facilities, and manage the day-to-day activities of your students. Train your warrior, mage, and ranger students to hone their abilities and unlock powerful sub-classes such as paladin, scholar, harlequin and more! Deploy students on timed errand missions across the world or head out to take on quests with your own squad to experience the adventure first-hand. Use powerful skills and cast explosive spells in real-time combat with a party of four students.

Vertical Drop Heroes HD - $9.99 / £8.99 / €9.99
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Vertical Drop Heroes is a procedural platformer RPG hybrid with roguelike elements, where your hero adventures through randomly generated stages. Armed with a variety of skills and traits, you must use your cunning and reflexes to survive the dangers of each stage, until you face the final boss and uncover the truth behind the game!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

night slime posted:

That's incorrect. Accounts are fully portable. You can log your account into multiple switches and play your games on any of them. On your primary switch there are no restrictions. On any secondary switch you just be online and logged in to play your games.

There is now a website where you can deactivate your account from your primary switch without even having it in your possession without having to call anyone (you can only do this once a year) in case it's lost or stolen.

Or you can untie your account from your switch from it's system menu whenever you want if you're about to buy a new one.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
The New Nintendo SwitchU XL still won’t be able to run last gen ports at 1080p 60fps but ima probably buy it anyway lol

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Earlier this week Reggie said Nintendo are still experimenting with VR, AR et. al., implying they don't have anything to bring to the market yet.

Reggie posted:

This is something we constantly think about, experiment with. For virtual reality, we’ve said: it’s tech that we’re looking at, but in the end it has to be fun. That’s our mission, and that is what we do arguably better than anyone else. We have nothing to announce here on this stage. These are going to be technologies that we’ll continue to experiment with. There are new experiences we want to bring to life.

If you really want to play a VR Nintendo game, however, Namco's Mario Kart VR arcade game will be at Union Station in Washington DC until March, before uprooting and heading somewhere else in the dead of night.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
I'd be surprised if they improve the display. Usually hardware revisions mean a move over to cheaper or more efficient components unless a 'Pro' version is coming. An OLED display would be awesome though.

I'll get serious FOMO if they upgrade to a more powerful processor though....

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It's gonna be VR but it's in the form of a Virtua Boy'ish stand you slide the Switch into. Because that's a thing Nintendo would do.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

My guess is the new nintendo switch is a sku without the dock.

This already sort of exists in Japan but it's an online order only. This would be just making it a unit that can be on shelves.

Or a switch only unit (not even joycons) that can be purchased with joycons at a discount.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Lodin posted:

It's gonna be VR but it's in the form of a Virtua Boy'ish stand you slide the Switch into. Because that's a thing Nintendo would do.

That might actually make sense. Increasingly crazy things to dock the Switch into.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

MZ posted:

I'd be surprised if they improve the display. Usually hardware revisions mean a move over to cheaper or more efficient components unless a 'Pro' version is coming. An OLED display would be awesome though.

Did you even read the article? It said if the screen is upgraded it will be to a thinner, brighter and more energy efficient LCD, and it will not be OLED.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Fremry posted:

Did you even read the article? It said if the screen is upgraded it will be to a thinner, brighter and more energy efficient LCD, and it will not be OLED.

Yes, I meant my 'ideal world' upgrade would be an OLED.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Is this the new Switch version?
https://twitter.com/dyxlesci/status/1046533132801986560

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

MZ posted:

I believe the current CPU is manufactured on an older process that's being phased out by most factories. A smaller chip of the same speed would produce less heat and drain less battery, so that and smaller bezels around the screen are the two things I expect from this revision. More a DS Lite revision than a DSi.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

It'll be the X2 revision with the exploits fixed, while the old Switch production will be discontinued. Just as most suspected would happen.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

The Kins posted:

I wouldn't count on it:
Granted, more cosmetic theme events like Splatoween are entirely possible throughout this last run (the final one will almost certainly be a big event), but I don't think they're going to keep pushing the finishing line back forever.

For a game that essentially rotates levels and doesn't let you pick them, it's possible to have too many levels... i loved the original rotation when the game releaesd, now there are a ton I don't really care for that you're stuck with for 2 hours

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
So here's the question I've asked every couple of months for the last year: Is there a third-party dock that will not brick/detonate my Switch? Looking for something I can throw in my travel bag so I don't have to unplug my dock from my TV.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Test Pattern posted:

So here's the question I've asked every couple of months for the last year: Is there a third-party dock that will not brick/detonate my Switch? Looking for something I can throw in my travel bag so I don't have to unplug my dock from my TV.

The answer is still get an official dock. Nintendo uses some customised proprietary USB/HDMI connector which means third-party docks could at best not work and at worst totally brick your switch.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

This seems to be like the DS Lite revision. I doubt it's about VR, as you really need OLED for that, and the Switch is too large/heavy to be worn comfortably on your face.

I'm sure there will be a cartridge-port lacking, smaller sized, OLED Switch intended for VR somewhere down the line but this ain't it.

[Edit: I've thought about this a bit more and yeah, if this is any thing other than a display panel swap and exploit fix I'll be shocked. Even decreasing the bezel size for a slightly larger display would cause issues with stuff like Labo.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 4, 2018

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Your Computer posted:

I enjoyed Diablo 3 at launch but I also have no nostalgia for Diablo 2 and just played it like a fun single player action RPG on a normal difficulty v:shobon:v

Gonna admit I don't understand the "endgame" stuff at all or the speedrunning or the seasons or the rifts or multiplayer. Still got a lot of hours out of it, though I haven't really played it since (did finish the story on each of the classes though).

Playing on higher difficulties was always where Diablo happened, and it turns out in order to facilitate their lovely idea of an auction house and real money auction house drop rates were set extremely low and paired with extremely random attribute rolls on items (so you could have the item you wanted to drop, but still come out useless because the second row of dice ruined it). The game bared it's ugly random number generator face. It turned into gambling for the €250 item you could put on the RMAH or sell for more offsite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Remember the time we suggested they needed to update the system hardware faster than Xbox and PS4 revisions and everyone started throwing insults? Pepperidge farm remembers. I’m really glad Nintendo is doing this because too many publishers and titles are passing on the system and will pass on the system.