Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I am shocked and appalled that bewbies has never heard about Quebec in his life and is now trying to cover that up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
imo the single best thing to do in DC is a bike ride around the city to all of the civil war forts.

it is kind of a hike if you're not a regular rider but you basically see the entire city and the route is awesome

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
In my unbiased opinion, brave the god awful traffic to get to the Marine museum in quantico

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Polyakov posted:

I really liked the international spy museum when I went.

Their podcast - google "spycast" - is quite good.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

aphid_licker posted:

I am shocked and appalled that bewbies has never heard about Quebec in his life and is now trying to cover that up

Same, but jealous

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

aphid_licker posted:

It successfully made itself a separate entity from the rest of his memory while still relying upon the same mental support structure.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

but capsacin is delicious...

Capsicum, the sweet bell pepper, is delicious. (It's actually the entire genus of peppers, but in countries where you can ask for "a capsicum" it almost always refers to bell peppers specifically.)

Capsaicin, the active ingredient in hot chili peppers, is delicious in small quantities. It's a lot less delicious when extracted in the pure form and smeared liberally over the inside of a sandwich.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Taerkar posted:

It successfully made itself a separate entity from the rest of his memory while still relying upon the same mental support structure.

:five::vince:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Taerkar posted:

:lol:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Taerkar posted:

hahaha

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Taerkar posted:

Tabarnak...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bewbies posted:

imo the single best thing to do in DC is a bike ride around the city to all of the civil war forts.

it is kind of a hike if you're not a regular rider but you basically see the entire city and the route is awesome

The full map of area forts of the era is almost comical in how extensive they are. It's on wikipedia and I'm not sure the leech policy anymore

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

bewbies posted:

good god people it was a loving joke, i've played hockey my whole life for christs sake

cte is real, it makes you forget les bons gars :(

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Taerkar posted:

:argh: va chier

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Thats the only real battle of Manassas.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Tias posted:

I think one of the worst traps for the 'ick' factor were Viet Cong tunnels containing a container loosely sealed with a kapok cork, so when you brushed against it, it released a pissed off and extremely poisonous snake (possibly a green krait!) :gonk:

I mean it sounds ick but put most snakes in dark container (and this is especially true for Bungarus, a normally very chill genus) and their first reaction is going to be to sit quietly in the corner hoping the humans don’t notice it until they’ve past by.

Of course if it decides to leave just when the tunnel rat has turned around and is trying to get out then you might have a problem.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

On the pensions thing, did surviving Confederate soldiers get a pension? Like... Their country that was paying them disappeared (confederate secession), or they were gun toting criminals (if the Confederacy never properly left), so did they just get told to go home and be a family man?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ilmucche posted:

On the pensions thing, did surviving Confederate soldiers get a pension? Like... Their country that was paying them disappeared (confederate secession), or they were gun toting criminals (if the Confederacy never properly left), so did they just get told to go home and be a family man?

I think the individual states provided pensions for them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah the confederate states organized their own pension systems.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

ilmucche posted:

States paid Confederate pensions and benefits, starting in Georgia in 1871, when they passed a law giving wounded veterans free artificial limbs, but they were denied federal pensions until 1958. Obviously, there were no living Civil War veterans in 1958, but some widows were eligible.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The last Civil War widow died in 2004, incidentally.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Though as of 2017 one pension is still being paid, to the child of a Civil War veteran.

https://taskandpurpose.com/152-years-later-va-still-paying-pension-civil-war/

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Epicurius posted:

States paid Confederate pensions and benefits, starting in Georgia in 1871, when they passed a law giving wounded veterans free artificial limbs, but they were denied federal pensions until 1958. Obviously, there were no living Civil War veterans in 1958, but some widows were eligible.

Not that obvious - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleasant_Crump came pretty close...

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy

This is the best thing you can do, and Manassas is a cool battlefield you could visit while out there, but you should prioritize the former and be aware that you're tangling with some of the worst traffic in the world out that way on I-66.

Stuff not yet mentioned is Ft Washington, a very intact 19th century defensive structure right on the Potomac just south of DC, and the US Holocaust Memorial Museum right downtown.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The reason you see so many civil war widows so historically late is because, during the Depression, it wasn't uncommon for elderly Civil War veterans to marry their young nurses and caretakers. The veteran got companionship and someone to take care of him in his old age, and, during the Depression, somebody with a guaranteed government income that you would get when he died provided a bunch of financial security.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 2nd October 1918 posted:

The Battalion remained in support to the Brigade with dispositions as before.

13th KRRC War Diary, 3rd October 1918 posted:

As on the previous day. Some enemy shells fell at intervals in the Battalion's positions but they occasioned no material damage. During the night 3/4th Oct., patrols of the 10th R.Fus. succeeded in crossing the CANAL DE L'ESCAUT just north of BANTEAUX. They were unable to establish themselves there and were forced back to the western bank by heavy rifle and machine gun fire.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Cyrano4747 posted:

Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy Udvar Hazy

I interned with NASM (Both at UH and the mall building) and it is such a cool place, absolutely worth the trip.

Other MilHist-related stuff in the DC area off the top of my head:

-USMC Museum (Definitely recommended)
-NMAM has a US Military history exhibit and an old-rear end Revolutionary War gunboat.
-The Medical museum has exhibits on battlefield medicine during the Civil War, including preserved specimens of amputated limbs (Or so I've heard)
-Arlington, both the cemetery and the house are well worth seeing (And the house has the single best view of the city anywhere)
-IIRC the Navy has a museum by the Navy Yard, though I haven't been through it.
-Holocaust Memorial Museum is very good
-Pretty sure the Pentagon offers tours, though I'm not sure what the process is to get in on those.

I'm sure there's other stuff I'm forgetting, DC has a billion museums and most of them are well worth checking out.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

-IIRC the Navy has a museum by the Navy Yard, though I haven't been through it.

It's pretty cool, albeit smallish. It has some genuinely neat artifacts. The original fighting tops from Constitution are there, one of the Japanese suicide rockets, and the 5 inch gun battery from a WW2 destroyer along with some kamakazie scrap that was wrapped around it. Like, MG gun barrel that they found wrapped around the 5 inch barrel. That's mounted to the back of the turret as a display IIRC.

The issue is that the Navy Yard itself is a secure location so you have to go through the whole day pass, background check, etc. headache. It's really not that accessible to the public. IIRC they're trying to get it relocated off-site but god only knows when that's going to happen.

If you've got an in it's worth the trip, but it's not a big enough exhibit to really be worth the headache of making a special trip.

Although, if you get on base, the place is basically wall-to-wall with neat poo poo that are lawn ornaments now. The WW2 Enterprise's anchor is one of the more prominent ones.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Just because nobody has included them...The Mall has the Vietnam War Memorial, the Korean War Memorial, and the WWII Memorial. There's Arlington Cemetery. While you're there, I'd say, don't forget to stop by Arlington House, which often gets missed, but it's closed for renovation, which will both restore the rooms in the house, as well as restoring the slave quarters and better representing the lives of the Arlington slaves.

Then, of course, there are other smaller sites that are going to be faster visits. There' Ford Theater/Petersen House. There's the African American Civil War Museum. In Alexandria, there's the Fort Ward Museum. The Lyceum, which is a museum dedicated to the history of Alexandria has an exhibit on Alexandria in WWI. There's also Freedom House Museum, which, while not directly a war museum, is on the site of the largest domestic slave trading firm in the US, and is about the history of American slavery.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I passed this along to HEY GUNS, and then realized I should just post this here:

There is an artistic goon in CSPAM who is trying to create a medieval/early modern/Voynich Manuscript-esque book documenting the madness of the modern American pol scene and some sort of reflection of funny things that happened in CSPAM, if you know about these things have at em

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Having spent today giving both a robust inspection, I have determined that the Pima Air and Space Museum and the Titan Missile Museum are extremely rad.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm sorry up front I know this is gonna be a pretty broad ask, but a while ago some people in a slack I'm in were talking about a book that was about nixon/kissinger and all the war crime poo poo they got up to in Southeast Asia during Vietnam. Of course, I was dumb and didn't write down the title at the time. I thought it might be killing hope by blum, but looking at the table of contents I'm not sure was it, I thought it was like a whole book. Anybody know of a good book on the subject?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

feedmegin posted:

Not that obvious - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleasant_Crump came pretty close...
and i thought my name was difficult to have...

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Cyrano4747 posted:

Did your middle school have this book in its library?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Groda posted:

Did your middle school have this book in its library?

Funnily enough, one of NASM's biggest projects right now (Outside the total renovation of the Mall building, which is currently ongoing) is transferring everything from the old Garber facility to new restoration facilities built out of Udvar-Hazy. It's a massive project, and won't be complete for a long while—even though a huge amount of inventory such as Flak Bait has already been transfered to Udvar-Hazy, there's still a ton of aircraft in storage including gems like the sole surviving Ju-388. When those two projects get completed, though, man it's going to be an incredible sight to see.

e: Also, as a brief point for anyone weighing a trip to either Udvar-Hazy or the Mall building, it's worth noting that, like I said, the Mall building is currently undergoing a massive renovation project (Sorely needed, as some galleries haven't been updated since the 1970s), and the Apollo 11 Command Module is actually touring the country right now and won't be back until they finish refurbishing the new Apollo program gallery next year.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 4, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://thonyc.wordpress.com/2018/10/03/science-war-and-pestilence/

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Udvar Hazy sounds incredible. That'll definitely be my visit.

A very milhist tribute to mothers everywhere

quote:

My mom toughed it out for 18 years on her own, working two jobs while raising my sister and me. No matter how bad things got, she handled every challenge without ever once feeling sorry for herself. In naval combat, though, she wouldn’t stand a chance. Disorganized and totally inexperienced in seafaring, the woman who taught me everything would lead her entire fleet to certain ruin.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Geisladisk posted:

Udvar Hazy sounds incredible. That'll definitely be my visit.

A very milhist tribute to mothers everywhere

Say hi to Enola gay for me.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Squalid posted:

I mean it sounds ick but put most snakes in dark container (and this is especially true for Bungarus, a normally very chill genus) and their first reaction is going to be to sit quietly in the corner hoping the humans don’t notice it until they’ve past by.

Of course if it decides to leave just when the tunnel rat has turned around and is trying to get out then you might have a problem.

I heard the green krait (as opposed to the banded krait) was used because it will attack without provocation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Tias posted:

I heard the green krait (as opposed to the banded krait) was used because it will attack without provocation?

No snake does that.