Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

No snake does that.

The taipan has a reputation here of chasing people down to bite them, but I can't tell you if that's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tias posted:

I heard the green krait (as opposed to the banded krait) was used because it will attack without provocation?

I mean, why would any snake attack a creature much larger than itself without provocation, as a general habit? What's in it for the snake?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

feedmegin posted:

I mean, why would any snake attack a creature much larger than itself without provocation, as a general habit? What's in it for the snake?

Tias posted:

I heard the green krait (as opposed to the banded krait) was used because it will attack without provocation?

Tias posted:

:orks101:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Reading up on kraits in Wikipedia, I have come to the conclusion that you'd have to be Charles I of England to get one to bite you.

quote:

The Sri Lankan krait is nocturnal and timid. It is very slow and sluggish by day. At night it may strike after considerable provocation, but behaves quite the contrary by day, often allowing itself to be handled or even bullied with impunity. During such rough treatment it usually does nothing but puff up its lung to display its discomfort.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JcDent posted:

Reading up on kraits in Wikipedia, I have come to the conclusion that you'd have to be Charles I of England to get one to bite you.

that snake is basically me

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

The Lone Badger posted:

The taipan has a reputation here of chasing people down to bite them, but I can't tell you if that's true.

it's not, but they do have a very aggressive reaction if cornered or surprised. basically if it thinks you're between it and the exit it'll gently caress you up.

edit: should note this is true for the coastal taipan, the inland taipan is relatively shy.

feedmegin posted:

provocation is the key word, although for a taipan 'looking at me, pal' is sufficient provocation.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 4, 2018

JcDent
May 13, 2013

HEY GUNS posted:

that snake is basically me

Snake lacks a pike.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Making venom is metabolically expensive for the snake, isn't it?

Edit: no, it's not as expensive as commonly thought
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20659494
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24814011

JcDent posted:

Snake lacks a pike.

It has two pike analogues

GotLag fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Oct 4, 2018

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

GotLag posted:

Making venom is metabolically expensive for the snake, isn't it?

Yes. To the point that sometimes an annoyed snake will bite someone/something to make it's point but won't inject actual venom.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

The Lone Badger posted:

Yes. To the point that sometimes an annoyed snake will bite someone/something to make it's point but won't inject actual venom.

Bees do the same. They end up flying at you and bumping into you if they want to make a point without stinging.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

My theory is that snakes have a bad reputation in the Western countries because Christianity has vilified them. There are people here who know about other cultural spheres, do snakes have a bad rep elsewhere?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ChubbyChecker posted:

My theory is that snakes have a bad reputation in the Western countries because Christianity has vilified them. There are people here who know about other cultural spheres, do snakes have a bad rep elsewhere?
in classical greece there were "house snakes" which were small, non-poisonous, and ate mice. they didn't have cats yet, those were introduced to europe during classical roman times

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serpent_(symbolism)

tl:dr yes and no, even in christian myth

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

Snake lacks a pike.

Snakes are basically pikes if you think about it

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Snakes are basically pikes if you think about it

Long, thin, and one end pokes holes in people.

hmm, yeah :hmmyes:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

thatbastardken posted:

provocation is the key word, although for a taipan 'looking at me, pal' is sufficient provocation.

Same for the American water moccasin.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

ChubbyChecker posted:

Naga are generally good in Hindu or Buddhist mythology.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
some book i read insisted the fer de lance would come after people. this is the upper limit of my knowledge about snake aggression.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

HEY GUNS posted:

in classical greece there were "house snakes" which were small, non-poisonous, and ate mice. they didn't have cats yet, those were introduced to europe during classical roman times

Really, that's much later than I thought.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There's pretty good evidence that humans are born with a fear of snakes.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

zoux posted:

There's pretty good evidence that humans are born with a fear of snakes.

That article says that infants are good at recognizing snakes and spiders, not that they fear them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Starting to think that you're secretly a snake :thunk:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

That article says that infants are good at recognizing snakes and spiders, not that they fear them.

The researcher is quoted as saying that they exhibited a strong stress response, which is fancy academic speak for fear.

Spiders and snakes are tiny crawly things that hide in tall grass, and in most parts of the world a sizable portion of them are dangerous. It makes sense to me that we'd have evolved a instinctual aversion them.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

The researcher is quoted as saying that they exhibited a strong stress response, which is fancy academic speak for fear.

Spiders and snakes are tiny crawly things that hide in tall grass, and in most parts of the world a sizable portion of them are dangerous. It makes sense to me that we'd have evolved a instinctual aversion them.

The researcher is quoted as specifically saying this does not have to equal fear.

quote:

She noted that it's difficult to characterize the exact nature of the type of stress infants experienced, but dilated pupils show heightened states of arousal and mental processing. Rather than indicating fear in particular, the study says this shows an intense focus.

And the article notes other studies have contradicted this finding.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's a study of a group of Nahua people in Central Mexico about snakes

quote:

When inhabitants encounter snakes it usually happens accidentally during their daily activities as, for example, while they are working in the field, when traveling to other towns or when snakes wander into their homes or wander the surroundings, and when they find a snake, they usually kill it. A great part of the interviewees (n = 36), mentioned sacrificing snakes because they are harmful, aggressive and poisonous. Most of the villagers mentioned that snakes are killed with a knife, and the animal is taken far away so that the bones do not infect a passer barefoot, or they also tend to put the snake inside a sack once it’s dead, being very careful with its fangs because of the poison. If the snake they encounter is Boa imperator or Bothrops asper, they use the skin, but if it’s any other species, they dispose of it far away. Snakes are also sacrificed by using a stick stick and beating their head directly, and after they do this they usually hang the snake from a tree or throw it of a cliff so that no one has any risk of harm, as they mention that vertebrae can be dangerous, rotting the skin of the persons who have direct contact with them.

And Nepal

quote:

Results indicated that 43 % of respondents disliked snakes, 49 % would exterminate all venomous snakes, and 86 % feared snakes. Farmers were the most negative and teachers were the most ambivalent towards snakes. Respondents were generally unable to identify different snake species, and were almost completely unaware of the need of conserve snakes and how to prevent snakebites. Belief in a snake god, and the ability of snakes to absorb poisonous gases from the atmosphere were among many superstitions that appeared to predispose negativity towards snakes of BZ residents. Conclusion People with predisposed negativity towards snakes were not proponents of snake conservation. Fear, negativity, ambivalence towards, and ignorance about, snakes and the need for snake conservation were strong indicators of the propensity to harm or kill snakes. It seems that if wanton killing of snakes continues, local snake populations will decline, and rare and endangered snake species may even become locally extirpated. Moreover, inappropriate perception and knowledge about snakes and snakebites may put BZ people at increased risk of venomous snakebite

Interesting that belief in a snake god made people MORE likely to dislike snakes.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/627924062229123072?lang=en

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 4, 2018

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

This is why you shouldn't mix 'zoom & boom' and 'turn & burn' fighters as wing mates.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Unsnake related:
https://twitter.com/TheLocalSweden/status/1047799953144172544

Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

heres a few hundred pictures of snakes with tits proving we are evolutionarily adapted to want to gently caress snakes,

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Fangz posted:

heres a few hundred pictures of snakes with tits proving we are evolutionarily adapted to want to gently caress snakes,

please do not share your XCOM 2 fanart tia

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Fangz posted:

The researcher is quoted as specifically saying this does not have to equal fear.

And the article notes other studies have contradicted this finding.

Welp, maybe I should read things before discussing them.

zoux posted:

Interesting that belief in a snake god made people MORE likely to dislike snakes.

This makes sense to me.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

zoux posted:

hisssss

and snakes aren't poisonous, they're safe to eat

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ChubbyChecker posted:

hisssss

and snakes aren't poisonous, they're safe to eat

No, there are actual poisonous snakes.

The Wikiest of Pedias posted:

The colloquial term "poisonous snake" is generally an incorrect label for snakes. A poison is inhaled or ingested, whereas venom produced by snakes is injected into its victim via fangs.[56] There are, however, two exceptions: Rhabdophis sequesters toxins from the toads it eats, then secretes them from nuchal glands to ward off predators, and a small unusual population of garter snakes in the U.S. state of Oregon retains enough toxins in their livers from the newts they eat to be effectively poisonous to small local predators (such as crows and foxes)

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

C'mon guys, snakes are so cute with their little boops and snoots and bleps

*entire house smells like piss*

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pharmaskittle posted:

C'mon guys, snakes are so cute with their little boops and snoots and bleps

*entire house smells like piss*

clean the cage? i mean a lot of us here probably had hamsters or gerbils as a child

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

ChubbyChecker posted:

No snake does that.

Actually Tias is right; Green/Blue kraits are known for their unprovoked attacks, and its why they have one of the highest kill counts of any snake species. However you have to understand the context in which bites occur. In India many people traditionally sleep on mats on the floor. Blue kraits are nocturnal hunters who move large distances while hunting, and occasionally enter homes and crawl near/onto sleepers. If the person rolls over at this moment it can cause bites. Fortunately there's a simple solution: sleeping on a raised bed prevents practically all such accidents. If I had to go on a multi-day patrol in the Vietnam war I would definitely hope I could bring a hammock!

bewbies posted:

some book i read insisted the fer de lance would come after people. this is the upper limit of my knowledge about snake aggression.

Lol no. the terciopelo is practically a slug. Like lots of vipers they hate moving if they can at all avoid it. However their mimics, other species that pretend to be venomous when they are not, are often much more overtly aggressive and will come at you. They overcompensate for their lack of venom by having a bad attitude and trying to bluff their way past predators.

Deadly viper on left, almost harmless Colubridae on right. If you can't tell which is which at a glance treating them all the same is safe strategy.

zoux posted:

Here's a study of a group of Nahua people in Central Mexico about snakes

And Nepal

Though in a lot of India, belief in snake god does mean people do not kill King Cobras, and this tradition has been in force pretty much as long as history records. As a result King Cobras in India have radically different behavior towards humans compared to how they react in SE Asia where they are killed on sight. Surprise an Indian King and it will hood and stare you down, by contrast I had a coworker who literally stepped on one in Thailand and it just ran away.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

No, there are actual poisonous snakes.

Gosh I love the rhabdophis genus so much! They all have adorable rainbow scales to telegraph their poison and big puppy-dog eyes. They're usually really sweet too.

:3:

They are uh actually really venomous too, but as rear fanged snakes they'd need some time to chew to actually envenomate anything so practically speaking they aren't dangerous.

Okay sorry for the snake derail I'll shut up now

Squalid fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 4, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Squalid posted:

Deadly viper on left, almost harmless Colubridae on right. If you can't tell which is which at a glance treating them all the same is safe strategy.
that just lets the Colubridae win! :argh:

quote:

Gosh I love the rhabdophis genus so much! They all have adorable rainbow scales to telegraph their poison and big puppy-dog eyes. They're usually really sweet too.

:3:

They are uh actually really venomous too, but as rear fanged snakes they'd need some time to chew to actually envenomate anything so practically speaking they aren't dangerous.
holy crap

rear fanged snakes are hilarious, all that venom and no way to bite us with it lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Squalid posted:

Like lots of vipers they hate moving if they can at all avoid it.

Turns out I'm a viper

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

imo rolling over someone is provoking, even if you do it without tanks

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

ChubbyChecker posted:

zoux posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ChubbyChecker posted:

[scene opens - A nazi is in the middle of being interrogated. A light shines intensely on the German]

And you say that you were provoked by the Polish people to attack them?

*The Nazis tries to loosen his collar, sweating profusely*