Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-Square
May 14, 2009

Rhyno posted:

They need to hurry up and regulate that poo poo so I don't have to see all these stupid storefronts when I drive through town.

Yeah, the empty storefront under my building is on it's like third vape shop. It's not even that big of a deal for me though, because there's literally NEVER anyone in there, hence why it's on the third different store occupying it.

LloydDobler posted:

Weird I was just mentioning this today to a coworker. Can't even remember the context.

I remember this! I think it was the Garbage Truck episode of Monster Garage, Jesse had a big bet for something against one of the guys on the build team and was talking poo poo about how he wasn't going to pay up when he lost so he got the tattoo. Then Jesse ended up losing the bet and had to pay the guy. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
So apparently those of us here in the states are supposed to get some sort of FEMA test SMS message today?

Have you guys heard about this?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The president wants our attention

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Goober Peas posted:

The president wants our attention

SAD!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Raluek posted:

I'd go with the cheap ebay one, since it looks identical it probably is. I bet all those cheapy board manufacturers just buy whatever generic stuff anyway. It's not worth spending more money on something that you don't even know works, IMO.

I'm concerned that the voltage is that specific, though, because that implies that there is no/minimal battery charging/regulation circuitry in the board, and it just relies on the voltage at the power adapter. I guess another possibility is that the power adapter is actually a proper charger, which I have seen on the old lead acid scooters (e.g. Zap). However, lithium batteries are a lot more particular about their charging circuitry than lead acid, so that's still less than ideal.

So, if the board does work, it might be worth popping it open to see what is going on in there. If the battery does have a separate charging circuit onboard, it's probably not too particular about what charger you use anyway. The battery probably won't last super long if it doesn't, but heck, the thing was free.

Here's a link to the circuit board, can you tell from the pic? https://www.benchwheel.com/collections/patrs/products/pennyboard-1000w-esc

I think I'm gonna go ahead and pop it open just to make sure nothing is burnt before I buy a charger.

Sgt Fox posted:

The benchwheel one and the eBay one look pretty much identical. Both are 25.2v @2A DC output. Both are made in China, and let's be honest, probably came from the same factory. DC power supplies like this are pretty simple and there isn't much special about them. Some laptop chargers talk with the laptop but I seriously doubt this would, as the label appears to be a standard power supply. I'd just try the cheap one.
(I'm actually an EE if that matters)

Yes it matters! I was actually hoping you would chime in, thanks. If everything looks good with the circuit board I'll go ahead and order the ebay charger.

Appreciate it guys.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

2000GT on BaT. That's uncommon.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-toyota-2000gt/

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm interested, but that $80 document fee is a deal breaker.

e: heh, looking up the dealer.

https://www.americanmotorscustomclassics.com/inventory/Used-1985-Toyota-Tercel-JT2AL32W6F0157810/

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
I mean that's a great apocalypse mobile. Not 12k worth, but good.

My mother bought one new, and it's currently in the mid 400k miles without a rebuild. I still see it around town.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I saw a hipster driving one around just like that over the weekend.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

64bit_Dophins posted:

So apparently those of us here in the states are supposed to get some sort of FEMA test SMS message today?

Have you guys heard about this?

:smugdon: people were genuinely angry/annoyed about it. I really didn’t care.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

SHould go for 1-2 maybe 3 mil in this market but you have no idea how small this is I e sat in one. I appreciate it and hell im a Toyota fanboy but I wouldn’t be buying it if I could afford.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Somewhat Heroic posted:

:smugdon: people were genuinely angry/annoyed about it. I really didn’t care.

qanon morons are all over it, truly a sign of things to come

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
So thirsty for a strong daddy dictatorship they imagine one out of thin air.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Here's a link to the circuit board, can you tell from the pic? https://www.benchwheel.com/collections/patrs/products/pennyboard-1000w-esc

I think I'm gonna go ahead and pop it open just to make sure nothing is burnt before I buy a charger.

Yes it matters! I was actually hoping you would chime in, thanks. If everything looks good with the circuit board I'll go ahead and order the ebay charger.

Appreciate it guys.

I'm also an EE, but a really green one. If someone more knowledgeable wants to look, the zoomed pic is here. I can recognize the brushless drive stuff at the top, and the power supply stuff at the bottom, but I can't even tell where the battery connects. Upper right, looks like?

I'm guessing that the "big" QFP bottom-center is the motor drive brains (or maybe even a general purpose microcontroller programmed as such), and that SOIC upper left on its own is hopefully responsible for battery charging? But it could easily be something else. I don't have the calibrated eye to be able to intuit its function based on its surroundings like maybe I should.

Maybe if you get it apart you can read the markings off the chips, but I don't know how much input I'll be able to give if it doesn't come back as a well known thing that has a single, relevant purpose.

:shobon:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

No need to find back doors for hacking when you're on the ground floor.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-10-04/the-big-hack-how-china-used-a-tiny-chip-to-infiltrate-america-s-top-companies

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

:eyepop: Holy poo poo.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

quote:

Two of Elemental’s biggest early clients were the Mormon church, which used the technology to beam sermons to congregations around the world, and the adult film industry, which did not.

:chanpop:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jesus.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

BraveUlysses posted:

qanon morons are all over it, truly a sign of things to come

What did he mean by this?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That is simultaneously impressive and terrifying.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Well boys I think I have enough evidence now to make the case that we are all living in hell.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

64bit_Dophins posted:

Well boys I think I have enough evidence now to make the case that we are all living in hell.

Hell probably has better healthcare.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

When I noticed my smartphone advertising weirdly specific things I'd mentioned in conversations to me I became suspicious of tech.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Rhyno posted:

Hell probably has better healthcare.

Even Satan isn't THAT evil.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

64bit_Dophins posted:

What did he mean by this?

what?

i'm referring to this:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/qanoners-cheer-trumps-text-alert-test-see-it-as-a-step-towards-martial-law

qanoners have a mental illness

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Yikes. Pretty impressive nonetheless.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Wow...

This is why I think smartphones were a mistake. The internet is too much responsibility for these people.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-04/the-big-hack-amazon-apple-supermicro-and-beijing-respond

lol you guys.

3 pin "chip" yeah, hacked with 1-wire bus.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Super micro is already down 45%.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

nm posted:

F

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
If you knew enough about this subject to know if the allegations are plausible, you could likely make a killing today.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

nm posted:

-60% now. Short seller's dream.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

quote:

Mindful of the Elemental findings, Amazon’s security team conducted its own investigation into AWS’s Beijing facilities and found altered motherboards there as well, including more sophisticated designs than they’d previously encountered. In one case, the malicious chips were thin enough that they’d been embedded between the layers of fiberglass onto which the other components were attached, according to one person who saw pictures of the chips.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MGS is MIA. Anyone check on her IRL?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Unless something has changed recently she still posts around the forums.

She just hasn't posted anything here since FO3 insulted the honor of the NEST or whatever.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
She recently changed her name and avatar, so unless I'm seeing cassette tapes, a panther body, or nursing school stuff, I don't remember if the poster is MGS or not

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

meatpimp posted:

MGS is MIA. Anyone check on her IRL?

Maybe you should call the cops on her and doxx another goon, :lol: and you should have instead changed your name to "AI Dad." We could be bros!

But seriously, I just hope they're ok.

E: Queen Combat's last post was like half an hour ago according to profile. Did you miss the name change or?

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 4, 2018

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Just busy with school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I got the job

• Locked thread