Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
leading_survey_design.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
who wants to be the mandatory fields that don't have a none or other option?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

LMAO that they've left out Debian

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

1. thats "gnu/linux debian"
2. just tick ubuntu

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Lambert posted:

That sounds like government propaganda.

well, yeah, fuckin' world war 2 was on and all

(it was pro-russian, as i recall. in the cartoon, hitler personally flew a bomber towards russia, and little russian gremlins took the plane apart around him and generally humiliated him. there was a little musical ditty that went "♫ we're gremlins from the kremlin ♫")

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

work computer update: i turned it on today and it went on account login through the same “hi, welcome, etc” and it actually loaded all my old poo poo now lmao

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

infernal machines posted:

who wants to be the mandatory fields that don't have a none or other option?

i'm going to be the only non-mandatory fields in the whole survey, 1.2 Additional company information (if exists)

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

work computer update: i turned it on today and it went on account login through the same “hi, welcome, etc” and it actually loaded all my old poo poo now lmao

so basically you were just holding it wrong all along

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

chestnut santabag posted:

so basically you were just holding it wrong all along

kinda yeah, i expected it to work

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Whoa, the new update finally fixes the long-standing UWP fullscreen bug!

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

https://twitter.com/patrickkettner/status/1047279743194652672

I saw this, updated, tested, and it's lies :colbert:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is in there as a preview apparently, not even sure how it is accessed. either way seems like a pretty poor idea, improves little and not supported in firefox or safari

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

btw, the update breaking his computer has to be secondary to his avatar *still* being broken in edge when it comes to cinci disappointments

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

btw, the update breaking his computer has to be secondary to his avatar *still* being broken in edge when it comes to cinci disappointments

the end of the story basically was that update failed to boot into post-update configuration sequence on the first go

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Firefox is implementing WebP support as well, it's just Apple's Internet Explorer that's left.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is in there as a preview apparently, not even sure how it is accessed. either way seems like a pretty poor idea, improves little and not supported in firefox or safari

You need the Web Media Extensions: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/webmedienerweiterungen/9n5tdp8vcmhs?rtc=1&source=lp&activetab=pivot%3Aoverviewtab (and, potentially, the HEVC Video extensions: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9n4wgh0z6vhq#activetab=pivot:overviewtab)

Other Microsoft codec packs for Windows 10:
HEIF Image Extensions: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/heif-image-extensions/9pmmsr1cgpwg#activetab=pivot:overviewtab
MPEG-2 Video Extensions: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/mpeg-2-video-extension/9n95q1zzpmh4#activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

the end of the story basically was that update failed to boot into post-update configuration sequence on the first go

ah, that makes sense and is a pretty interesting (terrible, stupid) failure mode

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

gremlins

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i wouldn't be surprised if on the first post-update boot it hit the wall against the user services thing and just powered on

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Wheany posted:

i'm going to be the only non-mandatory fields in the whole survey, 1.2 Additional company information (if exists)

you should see the choices in the dropdown menus for things like "industry". microsoft is apparently unaware that 70% of the economy exists.

this is the latest revision of their software asset management (audit) inventory form

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i wouldn't be surprised if on the first post-update boot it hit the wall against the user services thing and just powered on

there's a bunch of poo poo that can time out or fail because services start before the post boot update process triggers

see also: every cumulative update on server 2012r2 where exchange is also installed

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the only way to get an exchange server running 2012r2 to update reliably is to disable all exchange services, run the updates, reboot, re-enable exchange services, and reboot again.

failure to do this will result in partially applied/reverted updates that break all kinds of poo poo

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the only way to get an exchange server running 2012r2 to update reliably is to disable all exchange services, run the updates, reboot, re-enable exchange services, and reboot again.

failure to do this will result in partially applied/reverted updates that break all kinds of poo poo

:staredog:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
jesus christ, are surface keyboard flaps not compatible with all surfaces??

lmao

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

my "days i've regretted leaving IT" counter is still 0

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

you cant install sharepoint on 2012r2, you have to install it on an unpatched fresh 2012 then do the r2 upgrade afterward

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

wow what a shame that this software you already own basically doesnt work and is a complete pain in the rear end to maintain. have you considered paying more money every month per user for all of time for office 365?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

graph posted:

jesus christ, are surface keyboard flaps not compatible with all surfaces??

lmao

well there's six generations of surface now, as well as the old arm ones, and they're all slightly revised designs. also there's no consistent accessory port or dock connector.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Oh good we're back to the XP days of install RaZoRz xTrEmE c0D3c P4k

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

graph posted:

you cant install sharepoint on 2012r2, you have to install it on an unpatched fresh 2012 then do the r2 upgrade afterward

tbh anything that prevents you from installing sharepoint is probably doing you a favour

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tbh anything that prevents you from installing sharepoint is probably doing you a favour

as noted mini-shaggar on a lot of microsoft products: this

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
after installing windows 10 1809 on my work laptop i had to reboot an extra time for it to recognize that one of my monitors could run at higher than 1024x768. both of the monitors are the same model.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

99% certain that is a monitor manufacturer being poo poo though

the pc market is a mess i think we all love~

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
hey, it's surfaceflaps

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

anthonypants posted:

after installing windows 10 1809 on my work laptop i had to reboot an extra time for it to recognize that one of my monitors could run at higher than 1024x768. both of the monitors are the same model.

edid is hard

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Windows XP Zero - Zver eXtrem3 Gaming Performance Editi0n 2

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.eteknix.com/windows-10-update-may-delete-personal-files

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

itym the Windows 8 days of "we don't want to pay the DVD licensing fees if we don't absolutely have to"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
what the gently caress

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

pseudorandom name posted:

itym the Windows 8 days of "we don't want to pay the DVD licensing fees if we don't absolutely have to"

MPEG-2 licensing was dump as hell and I'm glad they learned their lesson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Snip & Sketch doesn't have window snip, full screen snip and is missing the time delay option. Why would you replace your existing tool with a new program that's worse. I guess that's why they didn't simply update/replace the existing tool.