Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dixville posted:

I don't think "proceeding" is the opposite of "preceding" btw

I’m the lack of parallelism in antonyms.

e: Graph tax:

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 05:14 on Oct 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I need one of these but for goons

Suspicious Dish posted:

im the literally only one lesbian and one gay relationship in the whole school

I found a second one!

Tetracube has a new favorite as of 05:20 on Oct 4, 2018

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tetracube posted:

I need one of these but for goons

It's nothing but individual dots.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ToxicSlurpee posted:

A pointillist painting of the Sea.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ToxicSlurpee posted:

blue dots: 1,000,000

pink dots: 5

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Edit: oh wait Egypt is there but north Africa is separate from the rest of Africa. gently caress, the more I look at it the worse it gets.

The graph is basically unusable but I don't get why this, of all things, would be an issue.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Platystemon posted:

I’m the self‐reported data.

I mean, what would the alternative be, there?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Phlegmish posted:

The graph is basically unusable but I don't get why this, of all things, would be an issue.

I looked at the part labelled "Africa" and was like "...where is Egypt?" Africa is the only continent they split and they put the parts on either side of Europe. It isn't even a half and half split; it's northern Africa and sub-Saharan Africa. That's pretty blatantly "the parts near Europe" and "that other poo poo on the other side of that desert like who cares?" But they also mashed North and South America into "Americas." While putting Europe smack in the middle and making it bigger than everything else even though Europe is, for example, less than 1/4 the size of Asia. There's just so much wrong with it that I keep noticing more and more things every time I look.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Goon Danton posted:

I mean, what would the alternative be, there?

Well if you have zero personal ethics, no institutional review board, and don’t fret over things like felonies, there are ways.

More seriously, being the only sensible method to collect data does nothing to improve the quality of the data. It’s understandable that it’s bad, but it’s still bad.

“Kids don’t want to report their gay sex” is a better explanation than “very nearly everyone at this school is straight or sexually inactive”.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 07:48 on Oct 4, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I looked at the part labelled "Africa" and was like "...where is Egypt?" Africa is the only continent they split and they put the parts on either side of Europe. It isn't even a half and half split; it's northern Africa and sub-Saharan Africa. That's pretty blatantly "the parts near Europe" and "that other poo poo on the other side of that desert like who cares?" But they also mashed North and South America into "Americas." While putting Europe smack in the middle and making it bigger than everything else even though Europe is, for example, less than 1/4 the size of Asia. There's just so much wrong with it that I keep noticing more and more things every time I look.

Again, I'm pretty sure they started with "The Roman Empire is the most important thing on here" and worked out from that. They needed North Africa there so they could have the Romans as a contiguous blob.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

A split between North Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa is perfectly defensible on cultural and geographic grounds. The Sahara has historically been a much, much more effective barrier than the Mediterranean, even during the era of religious conflict. It would have been much worse and more ignorant to lump it all together simply based on technically being located on the same continent.

Again, it's a poo poo graph for various reasons, but this complaint doesn't make sense to me.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Phlegmish posted:

A split between North Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa is perfectly defensible on cultural and geographic grounds. The Sahara has historically been a much, much more effective barrier than the Mediterranean, even during the era of religious conflict. It would have been much worse and more ignorant to lump it all together simply based on technically being located on the same continent.

Again, it's a poo poo graph for various reasons, but this complaint doesn't make sense to me.

It stuck out to me specifically because they split one continent and only one of them but then mashed two together. I get what you're saying but it still bothers me because it's so inconsistent. When I looked more closely it struck me as "the parts Rome cared about and the parts Rome didn't." Like was said it's pretty obviously "this chart is about Rome being the best thing."

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Well, the Mali Empire is kind of ambiguous in that regard, having been located mostly south of the Sahara, but also being more and more Islamized as time went on, and with considerable Arab cultural influence. Also, trans-Saharan trade was obviously a thing. But I still don't really have a problem with making that distinction if you're going to be using discrete categories (which is the real issue I would say).

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It stuck out to me specifically because they split one continent and only one of them but then mashed two together. I get what you're saying but it still bothers me because it's so inconsistent. When I looked more closely it struck me as "the parts Rome cared about and the parts Rome didn't." Like was said it's pretty obviously "this chart is about Rome being the best thing."

Seems as reasonable as splitting Eurasia into two continents. The Sahara is a way more significant geographical barrier than anything between Europe and Asia.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Leviathan Song posted:

Seems as reasonable as splitting Eurasia into two continents. The Sahara is a way more significant geographical barrier than anything between Europe and Asia.

More significant that the Caucasus but less significant than the Turks.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Platystemon posted:

I’m the self‐reported data.

It's pretty easy to verify though, if the two people both report having sex with each other, you keep it, if they don't, you toss it. I'm sure there was some guy saying he banged 20 girls at school, but only one girl confirming it.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yup. That's why the North Africa chart doesn't include, say, the Kingdom of Aksum. Sure, they were around for over 800 years and took over a huge chunk of NE Africa, but they were never integrated into the Roman Empire and therefore not important.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Don Gato posted:

I'm going to guess the creator was from the UK.

If the creator is from the UK then the UK would be pink not red. The height of the bars seems to be pretty arbitrary as all 'areas' are the same height. So UK gets the fill the whole of the UK bar, but the USSR never controlled all of Northern Europe so it doesn't. The chart is a perfect example of people displaying potentially interesting information, the rise and fall of empires, and having no idea how to do it. If you take the British Empire on there you might think it's a footnote in history when it was twice as large as the Ottoman Empire at their peaks.

The Mali Empire is similarly reduced in stature, at it's peak about 3/4 the size of the Ottoman Empire and one of the richest empires to ever exist but it's tiny line in Africa.

Aramoro has a new favorite as of 16:39 on Oct 4, 2018

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
A 1/3600th of a degree.

Edit - that'll teach me not to check the number of posts on the next page. :(

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tobermory posted:

Yup. That's why the North Africa chart doesn't include, say, the Kingdom of Aksum. Sure, they were around for over 800 years and took over a huge chunk of NE Africa, but they were never integrated into the Roman Empire and therefore not important.

Ethiopia is not considered to be in North Africa, and on the chart 'Axum' is present in the Sub-Saharan Africa category - even if the latter is arguably reductive, I suppose Horn of Africa could be its own category.

I wonder how much of this discussion is due to Americans simply not being aware of the cultural distinctiveness of North Africa due to there being (relatively speaking) almost no North African immigrants in the US. None of the people of North African (usually Moroccan) descent I know in Belgium would ever describe themselves as African, or would be described as such by native Europeans. Their identity is much more likely to be some combination of Arab/Berber/muslim. I guess it's kind of like Europeans putting all Latin Americans in the same bag.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

It'd be cool if someone would make a real one of those with every known polity & whatnot one day

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Krankenstyle posted:

It'd be cool if someone would make a real one of those with every known polity & whatnot one day

Gaecron already has the data, or at least some decent stab at it. Convert it into a chart where the the width of the lines are proportional to the surface area of the country.

Of course the Mercator projection will need to be ditched to make that turn out right.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Tetracube posted:

blue dots: 1,000,000

pink dots: 5

a dozen purple dots for troons, like me

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

So uh... based on these numbers what exactly is their justification for including Tesla in these “big three”? It seems like they’re basing it entirely on “we’ve heard of them”. The only category they’re anywhere close to comparable is share price, and based on the other numbers that just seems like it’s massively inflated.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The only category they’re anywhere close to comparable is share price, and based on the other numbers that just seems like it’s massively inflated.

I believe that's exactly the point of the graph. They think Tesla is grossly overvalued, hence the quotation marks.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

The Cheshire Cat posted:

So uh... based on these numbers what exactly is their justification for including Tesla in these “big three”?

Largest market capitalization.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I believe that's exactly the point of the graph. They think Tesla is grossly overvalued, hence the quotation marks.

An opinion shared by many.

https://www.benzinga.com/general/education/17/04/9289557/tesla-and-the-auto-markets-new-big-three
http://vator.tv/news/2017-04-03-are-the-big-three-automakers-now-the-big-four

feldhase
Apr 27, 2011

Don Gato posted:

I'm going to guess the creator was from the UK.

I've seen these charts in the wild, but only in the hands of Evangelical types using them to chart the "greatness" of (white, european) civilisation. They were all the rage in those circles in the mid-to late 90's

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Don't worry Elon is fixing that.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Tunicate posted:

They do the same with the eastern roman empire

Yeah, it's fuckin bullshit.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Garbage homeopathy study published in a real journal:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/10/bogus-homeopathy-data-published-in-top-journal-sparks-outcry-facepalms/

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Journals will publish anything and everything put in front of them.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Boiled Water posted:

Journals will publish anything and everything put in front of them.

100% depends on the reviewers you get

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Whooping Crabs posted:

100% depends on the reviewers you get

Cite them a bunch and they're bought.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Boiled Water posted:

Very true

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

Aren't the reviews anonymous?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Count Roland posted:

Aren't the reviews anonymous?

Yes, but it's often not all that hard to tell who they are either due to their writing style or because they suggest that you cite a bunch of their work.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Plus, of the 10-25 people in your field, half will have to declare conflict of interest because you've written papers with them recently.

Two other good techniques for getting papers thru are to either making it to unreadable people just give it a "weak accept, high confidence" review without reading it, lazily assuming somebody else will catch if it is bad, or to write something so contentless and without scientific contribution, but making it easy-readable and people will accept it because it made them feel clever for understanding it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

klafbang posted:

Plus, of the 10-25 people in your field, half will have to declare conflict of interest because you've written papers with them recently.

Two other good techniques for getting papers thru are to either making it to unreadable people just give it a "weak accept, high confidence" review without reading it, lazily assuming somebody else will catch if it is bad, or to write something so contentless and without scientific contribution, but making it easy-readable and people will accept it because it made them feel clever for understanding it.

I thought that only worked in Grievance StudiesTM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
If anyone has an actually good infographic like that world history chart I'd like to see it. I'm terrible at lining world history up in my head, and how one areas history lines up with another.

Can certainly see the issues with that one, though.