Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I think BG was also more willing to simplfy things a bit from 2e than this is with pathfinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So there is at least some earned skills you get from having ranks in kingdom stats, high rank 2 religion allows you to get a permanent nullify poison on lands you own. Military lets you have extra damage and stat specific building price drops. Oh and outside of getting morally decent advisor fluff, the best are always party members because their stats can make them like 20+ above regular smucks.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Gorelab posted:

I think BG was also more willing to simplfy things a bit from 2e than this is with pathfinder.

That's kind of what I mean. Like encumbrance and resting are part of 2E too, but as I've said before nobody I ever played with actually used those rules anyway.

I just did a quest where it teleported me back to my throne room at the end of it but I can't choose "skip days" in the kingdom prompt because it thinks I'm adventuring. This game, seriously.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Taear posted:

That's kind of what I mean. Like encumbrance and resting are part of 2E too, but as I've said before nobody I ever played with actually used those rules anyway.

I just did a quest where it teleported me back to my throne room at the end of it but I can't choose "skip days" in the kingdom prompt because it thinks I'm adventuring. This game, seriously.

Guess what, when you leave the throne room you'll get teleported back to where the quest ended. So you're actually still out in the hunting grounds, if that's the quest you did.
It's so dumb.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

alignment is terrible and I don't understand why nerds are so partial to a rigid, regular, predictable pattern-based system of categorisation for abstract concepts and social activity

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Alignment should be a guidepost and not a hard rule. Except in the case of lawful good / chaotic evil. But really CE shouldn't even be a player choice in most games.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
ughhh mutagen being one a day is so lame

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

It's kind of amazing that there are bugged containers that if you get a magic item from them, they don't work and one of them is the capital stash where you get so many rewards.

:allears:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

They need to hurry up with 1.05 because patch 1.04 absolutely stinks.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I became a king and made a speech SO GOOD it made the game crash in the middle of it. Which is surprisingly the first crash I've had with the game.

(Also I perpetually have 2 people frozen in place in my throne room, because they never got despawned after petitioning me. )

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Valerie, telling lies again

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Failing three consecutive Lawful Evil Intimidate/Diplomacy checks during the (Chapter 3 spoilers)riot caused by the Bloom was great because it reads like I just threw a tantrum and then killed thirty peasants with one Explosive Bomb.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Eox posted:

Failing three consecutive Lawful Evil Intimidate/Diplomacy checks during the (Chapter 3 spoilers)riot caused by the Bloom was great because it reads like I just threw a tantrum and then killed thirty peasants with one Explosive Bomb.

This was me too, but fireball. Seriously, peasants should think twice about rioting against a Baron who can cast fireballs, it's really not a great strategy.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So are the Magus, Alchemist and Inquisitor Pathfinder only classes, since I haven´t encountered them before in the Faerun DnD games? Are any of them particularly suitable for a first complete playthrough if you want to have a decently varied playstyle?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Sylphosaurus posted:

So are the Magus, Alchemist and Inquisitor Pathfinder only classes, since I haven´t encountered them before in the Faerun DnD games? Are any of them particularly suitable for a first complete playthrough if you want to have a decently varied playstyle?

I made a Magus but treat him as a light fighter who can cast spells through his sword. The trick is to not concentrate on spellcasting and just treat it as a neat trick.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

deathbagel posted:

This was me too, but fireball. Seriously, peasants should think twice about rioting against a Baron who can cast fireballs, it's really not a great strategy.

Doubly so when you didn't inherit the title from your parents in some vague Divine Right "I'm metaphorically better than you" type situation, but by walking in and murdering the poo poo out of the badass super-powered crazy man that was already running the area.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Ranger supremacy confirmed; I gave Ekun a magic bow and he’s like a freaking machine gun. Like we’ll attack a group of trolls and troll hounds and before my melee line gets there, 2 of the hounds are dead already.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sylphosaurus posted:

All three of those classes are some of the best design work Paizo did, they follow the Bard model of 6 spell levels and 3/4ths base attack bonus progression. You'll have a pretty wide variety of options with any of them, but I personally recommend Alchemist. Bombs for easy AoE damage, a daily source of potions and some very useful self-buffs, plenty of skill ranks on top of an int focus. They based it on The Witcher!

edit: vvvv i'd say Inquisitor has a little more Ranger than Fighter in its DNA

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Sylphosaurus posted:

Pathfinder originals I believe. They're all hybrid-y classes, so varied is very much what they do. I always thought of Magus as Fighter + Wizard, Inquisitor as Fighter + Priest and Inquisitor as Rogue + Wizard. Obviously they have a pile of unique mechanics so they're not true hybrid classes but as a rough guide it's always worked for me. You also get an NPC that starts off in each class, so even if your PC isn't one you can still have exposure to the mechanics if you choose.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Eox posted:

deathbagel posted:

My Bowsette/Trogdor build gave me a +23 bonus to intimidate checks at that point, I don't burninate as many peasants these days.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Magus has fair amounts of similarity to the 3.5 Duskblade (PHB 2 class), but that class never made it into any the computer games as far as I'm aware. Alchemist and Inquisitor are both fairly original to Paizo.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

A developer on Discord said they are going to try to get a hotfix out tomorrow, with the actual major patch not coming until next week now instead of tomorrow.

:welp:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

On the plus side, at least they're actively trying to fix their game. They could have just stalled for months saying they were totally going to patch it guys we promise and then just hope people forgot.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

Yeah, I'm glad they are working hard and hopefully they test 1.05 first.

I just think they could have communicated better because steam and their forums are starting to get angry, and the only commuication was on a fan-run discord in a throw-away comment.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Dilber posted:

A developer on Discord said they are going to try to get a hotfix out tomorrow, with the actual major patch not coming until next week now instead of tomorrow.

:welp:

Fun. Welp, at least Lost Paradise is out. I think I'll hold off on coming back to Kingmaker until I've finished with it. As funny as some of the bugs are it's pretty close to unplayable in the state it's in now.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Taear posted:

No one played with resting? Seriously? That's like such a core rule. You had some odd groups.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Funso Banjo posted:

No one played with resting? Seriously? That's like such a core rule. You had some odd groups.

I'm going to guess he meant more without all the random other junk that Pathfinder Kingmaker keeps.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So yeah, for the Mites/Kobolds, do you have to be True Neutral, or does any Neutral do.

I wonder if it's possible to start as Lawful Neutral, take only good aligned choices, do Tomb/Thicket first to get to Sycamore, and get enough of a boost from all the good choices to become Chaotic Good in time to meet Kressle. Thus getting to stop the Mite/Kobold war, while also saving Kressle.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Rookersh posted:

So yeah, for the Mites/Kobolds, do you have to be True Neutral, or does any Neutral do.

Any neutral works.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Rookersh posted:

I wonder if it's possible to start as Lawful Neutral, take only good aligned choices, do Tomb/Thicket first to get to Sycamore, and get enough of a boost from all the good choices to become Chaotic Good in time to meet Kressle. Thus getting to stop the Mite/Kobold war, while also saving Kressle.

Wouldn't it be easier to just start Neutral Good? It works for both.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
As a non-neutral evil character I was unable to do either of those things. C'est la vie

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I just finished Deadfire and I want some more hot isometric action. Should I get this game, or spend 25 bucks on the Deadfire season pass?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah I didn't know that when they said Neutral on that check they meant ANY Neutral, I thought they meant strictly LN/CN/TN.

On my first playthrough I sided with the ]kobolds and on my re-roll story mode to get back to where I was replay I did the same thing because it was what I did the first time and I was trying to match it... but mostly because I find kobolds adorably inept and funny. I mean.. they're just so comically pathetic. And they like dragons, who I am also very fond of!

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

The Dregs posted:

I just finished Deadfire and I want some more hot isometric action. Should I get this game, or spend 25 bucks on the Deadfire season pass?

Are you purchasing right now?

Deadfire season pass.

Are you going to play it in a couple months?

This by far.

It's a great game that is currently plagued with bugs where every hotfix has made it worse.

also, it's currently unbeatable because of critical path bugs.

I've put 30 hours in, and I'm only in act 3 (of 7) and I'll probably restart once they get it good to go.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Dilber posted:

Are you purchasing right now?

Deadfire season pass.

Are you going to play it in a couple months?

This by far.

It's a great game that is currently plagued with bugs where every hotfix has made it worse.

also, it's currently unbeatable because of critical path bugs.

I've put 30 hours in, and I'm only in act 3 (of 7) and I'll probably restart once they get it good to go.

Thanks!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Also, according to a dev ( steam forums. ) it looks like the game is also getting the 'Scroll of Atonement' which resets the PC to their starting alignment.

quote:

Hello everyone!

We'd like to let you know that we'll address the 'paladins and divine spellcasters losing their abilities' problem in one of the upcoming hotfixes. Namely, scroll of Atonement will be added to the game. It allows reverting character's alignment to the starting one.

Btw, we have roughly the same amount of each alignment dialog options with Chaotic Evil being the only exception. So it should be enough options for a paladin, and if for some reason he doesn't find this options (or doesn't find them satisfying), here's the scroll. We expect to prepare and add it in one of next week patches/hotfixes.

Thanks for your feedback and hail to the kings :)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I think I've finally managed to settle on my build, except for the last levels

Monk Scaled Fist
Paladin
Paladin
Sorcerer Gold Dragon Bloodline (current level)
Paladin
Dragon Disciple x10
something x5

My guess is that immunity to fear and all diseases is worth more than getting one normal feat from fighter. I could take fighter levels at the end or, since I qualify for eldritch knight, getting more and stronger buffs for greatswording.

For my sorcerer level I grabbed enlarge person and eagle's splendor. That +4 charisma is worth +2AC and +2 to all saves, pretty good for a level 1 spell. But shouldn't it be a level 2 spell? Or at least it was in NWN2. Anyway, that treant bear thing ate serious poo poo from my charge. This game is making me want to pen and paper some fantasy too.

Sky Shadowing posted:

On my first playthrough I sided with the ]kobolds and on my re-roll story mode to get back to where I was replay I did the same thing because it was what I did the first time and I was trying to match it... but mostly because I find kobolds adorably inept and funny. I mean.. they're just so comically pathetic. And they like dragons, who I am also very fond of!
Yes. And they should also like dragon protagonists, right? :smaug:

SubNat posted:

Also, according to a dev ( steam forums. ) it looks like the game is also getting the 'Scroll of Atonement' which resets the PC to their starting alignment.
Scrolls of Atonement sounds good, but I wonder when and where they will be available and for how much. If they're too expensive and difficult to get they're meaningless but you probably shouldn't be allowed to buy them in bulk every week. :v:

Poil fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 4, 2018

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Based on this game's concept it sounds like I should enjoy it a whole lot so it's very sad that apparently the devs are incompetent.

It sounds like if word comes down that it's Fixed and Good I should pick it up and if not just forget about it forever.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Based on this game's concept it sounds like I should enjoy it a whole lot so it's very sad that apparently the devs are incompetent.

It sounds like if word comes down that it's Fixed and Good I should pick it up and if not just forget about it forever.

Put it on your wishlist, pick it up on sale. The devs are actively working to fix things, it'll be mostly fine by the time it goes on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Poil posted:

I think I've finally managed to settle on my build, except for the last levels

Monk Scaled Fist
Paladin
Paladin
Sorcerer Gold Dragon Bloodline (current level)
Paladin
Dragon Disciple x10
something x5

I'd recommend a second level of Sorcerer over the Paladin level. It nets you one more level of casting, which is super handy and way more interesting later on. I'd also recommend Eldritch Knight for the last levels. Eldritch Knight to 7 and stopping Dragon Disciple at 8 would also be a good idea. The last two levels of Dragon Disciple are super bad. You lose out on the 4th attack per round and a level of spellcasting progression and gain wings. In a game without flying. Yay. Plus if you're Aasimar, you can get wings from feats I think. If you grab the level of Sorcerer and stop Disciple at 8, you get to cast 7th level instead of stopping at 6th, and you get access to higher level spells 2 levels earlier in the mid game, plus increasing the duration of buffs so you don't have to recast them as often, in a game that really disincentives resting.