Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Do not watch TNF tonight.

It's for your own health and sanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah watch baseball instead

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

weird Asian candy posted:

Looks like availability wasn't the only thing subject to blackout :downsrim:

:laffo:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

cavallingus posted:

Yeah watch baseball instead

Lol

Watch hockey actually

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I'm going to watch hockey tonight

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

I'm going to watch hockey tonight

Hell yes

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Sorry the Angels disappointed you again Ross

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

a neat cape posted:

Lol

Watch hockey actually

This

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

4 offensive starters are out while the Patriots get access to Edelman and Gordon. I'm still debating watching the game instead of doing something that less resembles self harm.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I would watch hockey tonight but the Brewers are in the playoffs so gently caress that.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wtf is hockey

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Athanatos posted:

Do not watch TNF tonight.

It's for your own health and sanity.

Yeah watch the NBA Preseason Pacers vs. Rockets. Good poo poo.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

iospace posted:

I would watch hockey tonight but the Brewers are in the playoffs so gently caress that.
same but rockies

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Randaconda posted:

wtf is hockey

Imagine with me for a moment. A sheet of ice sized a certain way, with paint laid in it for lines. Put 12 men on the ice with skates, two of which has more padding than your average NFL lineman does, and tell them to shoot a small, black, rubber disc into a goal behind the padded out dude on the other team.

Oh and it's full contact (within reason, natch), and you can (and this happened last season) an entire period of play without a commercial! :getin:

I'm not joking about the no commercial thing though. NHL rules specify a commercial after 6, 10, and 14 minutes have passed game time wise in the period. You can't have a commercial during a man advantage for any team, after a goal, or after an icing call. After 6 minutes had passed, all the whistles were either a goal or an icing, so there were no commercial breaks at all. They also use the commercials to scrape up some of the shaved ice to keep the game going a bit quicker.

iospace fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 4, 2018

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Joe Philbin level

https://mobile.twitter.com/BendixenNFL/status/1047633623841685504

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I'm going to watch lebron james take on the sacramento kings for probably 8 minutes and change

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

iospace posted:

Imagine with me for a moment. A sheet of ice sized a certain way, with paint laid in it for lines. Put 12 men on the ice with skates, two of which has more padding than your average NFL lineman does, and tell them to shoot a small, black, rubber disc into a goal behind the padded out dude on the other team.

Oh and it's full contact (within reason, natch), and you can (and this happened last season) an entire period of play without a commercial! :getin:

The downside being, of course, a much less exciting and typically low scoring affair similar to soccer.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

ELO Musk posted:

The downside being, of course, a much less exciting and typically low scoring affair similar to soccer.
This is so wrong I don't even know where to begin

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ELO Musk posted:

cavallingus posted:

This is so wrong I don't even know where to begin

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

It's extremely exciting to watch a team run trap defense! My mistake!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

0-0 games can be stupidly exciting, especially when it's because both goalies are on top of their game. It's also much more fast paced than football (both US and Association), so the comparison falls flat hard.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
lol hockey is nothing like soccer

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ELO Musk posted:

It's extremely exciting to watch a team run trap defense! My mistake!

My friend, I have a video for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VV1PrbkK3E

e: GDT when it happened (needs archives): https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3448260

iospace fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 4, 2018

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

ELO Musk posted:

This hasn’t been true ever since they killed the neutral-zone trap in the mid-00s, thank god.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I read some of the follow-up tweets the guy had in that thread - I cant believe that this is happening in 2018, with all the money and effort spend on the sport :psyduck:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

cavallingus posted:

Sorry the Angels disappointed you again Ross

Dont even care

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
In hockey, when a guy falls down clutching his face you can expect a Kurusawa-esque fountain of blood. When the same thing happens in soccer, you can expect some Italian to writhe on the ground until the refs dutifully wave around some colored piece of plastic.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Having your leg that far back and your feet so narrow would kill you against speed rushers who can get low

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

a v. low scoring game

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Cowboys gonna beat the Texans

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

ELO Musk posted:

If soccer teams combined for as many shots on goal as your average NHL game it would rule

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I love our sports teams but it was funny because our team stepped the boring up to the next level.

Soccer is a bad comparison but gently caress if I don't get bored out of my skull every time I try to watch the Flyers. So much "Are they going to shoot? Nope." Maybe I've had bad luck.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Hockey is boring and the people who like it are too.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I read some of the follow-up tweets the guy had in that thread - I cant believe that this is happening in 2018, with all the money and effort spend on the sport :psyduck:

Seahawks bad, and Ifedi is incredibly bad.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Hockey is boring and the people who like it are too.

Hockey, like baseball, is really boring and kinda pointless to watch until the playoffs when it then becomes instantly amazing.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I think a lot of us prefer sports where you can't lose five 3 hour games in a row and still have it not mean that much in the long run.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

weird Asian candy posted:

Hockey, like baseball, is really boring and kinda pointless to watch until the playoffs when it then becomes instantly amazing.

Hockey live is the best thing in sports no matter what point in the season it is.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

a neat cape posted:

Hockey live is the best thing in sports no matter what point in the season it is.

Basketball is great live too. I cannot bring myself to watch it on TV though.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Hockey peaked last season go caps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Basketball is great live too. I cannot bring myself to watch it on TV though.

We agree on that.

Even playoff basketball puts me to sleep

• Locked thread