Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

so is it normally hard to keep shad alive in an aerated bucket, or is the water quality in the river just poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I think some bait fish are more delicate than others. It was either dines or anchovies from the bait barge in San Diego that would be fine in a live well but die in minutes in a bubble bucket.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Most pelagic fish are move or die. In confined spaces moving is hitting stuff that starts a chain reaction of fleeing and running into stuff and pummeling themselves to death.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

K, that explains that that because even when they've been dead a couple of hours they have the consistency of hot butter.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

My spirit is broken. I can not catch a fish.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I went out last week with a buddy from work and his brother. We went to a lake/large pond that I had no prior recon from but was told top-water was king. I quickly found out why because ~60% of the pond had heavy underwater vegetation. It wasn’t grass, maybe “coontail” (found in a google search) and something like bladderwort, but looked straight out of an Alien film.

We set out in our yaks and had to paddle ~100yards through this HEAVY vegetation, then patches out in the open. Max 14’ mostly 3-6’ when my depth finder could read through the salad.

Had a blow up on a huge loon whopper plopper that I bought thinking I would rarely/never use it. Really good fight, but tossed it free under water. Womp womp. Use a wake bait a little while afterwards for the first time and had one slash at that. Nothing brought in the boat unfortunately. I thought the wake bait was a cool crankbait, as it was basically a 3” depth squarebill, or a half assed popper.

I was amazed that chatterbaits and topwater frogs were not getting a sniff.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

ROFLburger posted:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I went fishing last weekend and caught a sand dab one day and stag horn sculpin the next. At least the sand dab was tasty. The sculpin is now future crab bait.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Went out fishing after dinner last night and after 45 minutes it was dark out :(

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Unfortunately I am not going out anywhere at night, not because the neighborhood has turned rough, but because of the god drat mosquitos

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

ROFLburger posted:

What's going on?

I'll hit the surf again this weekend since it's so drat productive right now and the pompano are coming in. I consider pomps one of the best tasting fish in the world and they make excellent sushi. Plan to do a charter this fall for some grouper or maybe mahi and hit the jetties more frequently to get back into reds and flounder. It's barely cooling off here, but it is starting.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

King of Bees posted:

What's going on?

I'll hit the surf again this weekend since it's so drat productive right now and the pompano are coming in. I consider pomps one of the best tasting fish in the world and they make excellent sushi. Plan to do a charter this fall for some grouper or maybe mahi and hit the jetties more frequently to get back into reds and flounder. It's barely cooling off here, but it is starting.

I'm jealous of your surf fishery. It's pretty much only redtail surfperch and Dungeness crab from the beach here.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I'm jealous of your surf fishery. It's pretty much only redtail surfperch and Dungeness crab from the beach here.

I’m gonna put more effort into sand dabs since the drat winter crab season got cancelled for area 10 for a second year in a row.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m gonna put more effort into sand dabs since the drat winter crab season got cancelled for area 10 for a second year in a row.

Do you guys have ghost shrimp up there for bait?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

We do but I prefer to use whatever I can catch myself or crappie grubs. I got some old squid from last season I’m gonna use for the sand dabs.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Down in SD we could pump them up in the mudflats and get a out 50 in an hour or so. It was definitely fish candy. Just wondered if you had the same thing.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah I need to learn how to pump them. We got mudflats.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

I've caught a couple of little ones from piers, and I've read that you can catch some really decent ones in West Seattle. Seems like flatfish are still a decent quarry in Puget Sound since everyone else is fishing for salmon.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah I need to learn how to pump them. We got mudflats.

Get a cheap hand held bilge pump, ditch the hose, put it over a hole in the mud, slurp it up and push it back out on the ground. If you're lucky a shrimp will be there. Don't pump it all the way through.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

King of Bees posted:

What's going on?

Last 3 times that I've gone my favorite spot by my house I've hooked 0 fish. Been trying different presentations and can't seem to get anything to work. It's a big water retention area with plenty of bass and it's barely pressured because it's a little bit difficult to access. The water temperatures here in Phoenix are finally starting to decrease a bit, not sure if that is having some affect on the Bass's behavior.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I’m jealous of all you who get to fish. The weather is finally cooling enough that I was going to go load up on some snapper, but now we have red tide down here and everything is closed.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Hey you guys I started fly fishing and it was fuckin awesome, hooked up on a couple of tiny trout and brought em in by hand and now fly fishing is all I ever want to do for the rest of my life

Got the first one on an elk hair caddis that was wet enough to sink a little, got the second one on a prince nymph with no strike indicator and a lot of beginner's luck

The best part is you get to go out into the woods by like a rustic bridge and you have an excuse to be in the prettiest place you've ever been for a few hours

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Stalizard posted:

Hey you guys I started fly fishing and it was fuckin awesome, hooked up on a couple of tiny trout and brought em in by hand and now fly fishing is all I ever want to do for the rest of my life

Got the first one on an elk hair caddis that was wet enough to sink a little, got the second one on a prince nymph with no strike indicator and a lot of beginner's luck

The best part is you get to go out into the woods by like a rustic bridge and you have an excuse to be in the prettiest place you've ever been for a few hours

Welcome to fly fishing! I'm learning how to make my own wet flies, they are definitely worth it if you can convince yourself to pick up a small beginner's kit! It's really a nice feeling to catch a fish on a fly you made, especially the bad ones. Then you get to insult the fish!

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Can't I get some dumb boots and just spinfish?

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Stalizard posted:

One of us. One of us. Start tying flies and let any ocd tendencies you have flourish in your search of perfection. Then get insulted when they go after a ratty lump of threads instead of your lovingly crafted perfect hatch matching mayfly. Stupid trout.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Today's surf fishing was kind of a bust. Only took home one keeper whiting but we were catching blue fish and jacks all day. Don't get me wrong, they are super fun fish to fight but I am going for table fare. I figure with those guys around slaughtering mullets the whiting and pompano went somewhere else. Oh well, next weekend I hope.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

You should post pics in the PAF thread. I'd love to see all the different fish that you bring in.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Not sure where that thread is but here's a blue fish.

It's representative of what we were catching. Some were bigger and some we're smaller. They have razor sharp teeth that can not a finger tip off pretty easily.

Here's one of the couple of Jack Crevaille.

These guys are prime fighters and an excellent sport fish, but again, not what we wanted.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

King of Bees posted:

It's representative of what we were catching. Some were bigger and some we're smaller. They have razor sharp teeth that can not a finger tip off pretty easily.

These guys are prime fighters and an excellent sport fish, but again, not what we wanted.

Bluefish are the most generic looking fish ever. Still, would love to catch a few.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

LingcodKilla posted:

Bluefish are the most generic looking fish ever. Still, would love to catch a few.

Totally. The only thing is they're aggro as gently caress, slaughter whatever they can and get pretty big.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

King of Bees posted:

We call bluefish tailor here, I got one yesterday trolling a white occy skirt in the kayak which was a bit of a surprise because they are more common further north.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

King of Bees posted:

Totally. The only thing is they're aggro as gently caress, slaughter whatever they can and get pretty big.

I have heard firsthand, though not seen, tales of catching them on shiny bare hooks when they really get their peckers up.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I forgot, toward the end of the day something hit the rod and bent it to the reel pulling the hook clean through the mono. I set the drag pretty light and it happened in an instant. It was either really big blue or a shark, likely a black tip. Again, it all kind of explains why the fish I was after fled the area.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Stalizard posted:

First trout on the fly is a life changer. Grats on that. What part of the country are you fishing in?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
This is an extremely dumb question I'm sure but what's the point of fly fishing? What does it give you that spinning or casting tackle can't?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The chance to spend tons more money.

I was throwing rapalas in a very famous fly fishing destination getting some nasty looks while I was reeling in chubbies.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

LingcodKilla posted:

The chance to spend tons more money.

I was throwing rapalas in a very famous fly fishing destination getting some nasty looks while I was reeling in chubbies.

I took my friend fishing on a notable trout stream the other week. We were using spin gear and the two guys with fly rods looked like they wanted us dead.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Go to a fly fishing river and cast a sabiki rig, see how long it takes you to get peppered with dove shot from an expensive skeet gun

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Dik Hz posted:

First trout on the fly is a life changer. Grats on that. What part of the country are you fishing in?

Thanks! Caught the trout in the Smokies, but I do most of my fishing in the Atlanta metro/North Georgia area.

prom candy posted:

This is an extremely dumb question I'm sure but what's the point of fly fishing? What does it give you that spinning or casting tackle can't?

I don't know if it offers any real like, tactical advantage over regular spinning tackle. It's just a different technique and I've had a lot of fun learning it. Definitely feels different when you're bringing a fish in by pulling on the line rather than by cranking a reel. Also lots of people who tie their own flies tell me they get a lot of satisfaction out of catching a fish on something they tied themselves.

But yeah mostly it's just a very efficient way to separate you from your money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Suspect Bucket posted:

Go to a fly fishing river and cast a sabiki rig, see how long it takes you to get peppered with dove shot from an expensive skeet gun

Return fire with a modestly priced bear gun.