Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They're gonna go to rich people prison, so their cell will probably be nicer than my apartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

They're gonna go to rich people prison, so their cell will probably be nicer than my apartment.

...yeah :smith:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t know about that. Remember that Cosby is black.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

business hammocks posted:

So it'll be on par with my apartment then

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

business hammocks posted:

And rich. Rich fixes a lot of things. Most things, actually.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Racist guards that ignore you lying unresponsive on the floor aren’t one of those things, though. Wealth might even encourage them to mess him up some. He won’t be a “suicide” or anything, but remember that he is blind and perhaps “very clumsy.”

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

ToxicSlurpee posted:

the social view is shifting to "no, actually, it isn't OK to abuse you power to get away with rape."

A rapist is president of the US. He publicly and repeatedly states that victims of sexual assault and rape are sluts and liars. The victims have had to go into hiding because they are getting death and rape threats from supporters of the rapist President.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Quote-Unquote posted:

A rapist is president of the US. He publicly and repeatedly states that victims of sexual assault and rape are sluts and liars. The victims have had to go into hiding because they are getting death and rape threats from supporters of the rapist President.

I'm well aware. The mainstream view is shifting but it won't be without obstacles. Trump is...kind of a big one.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

ToxicSlurpee I had similar thoughts a out forgiveness before. What ended up making sense to me is that forgiveness is something you really only need to be concerned about for people who are close to you, that you have relationships with. That's where it's important. As a consumer of art, don't worry about whether you should forgive someone; there's always more art from other people. Most of us aren't famous and it's okay if Michael Richards isn't famous either. You have already put more thought specifically into his well being than he has put specifically into yours.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Quote-Unquote posted:

Including a teenager Jeffrey Epstein kept captive on his rape island. The standard response is that she’s a whore and also was never there. America’s a bad place.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It isn't him, specifically, that I'm thinking about he's just the topic of the conversation. If he did that once then fixed his ways and never did again then that's good enough for me. As for getting the spotlight back if people still want to watch him then why shouldn't they? The thing that gets me is people telling other people they aren't allowed to enjoy somebody ever again for something like that. If he's washed up and not as funny as he used to be and can't draw a crowd then, well, them's the breaks.

Now this makes more sense. Granted if he was a racist deep down, didn't realize it, then did that and went "gently caress I'm a racist, better fix that," and never did anything racist again then I'm still going to say 12 years of at least not doing anything else is enough.

It would be great if he did more but personally I'm willing to drop it at this point.

I'm horribly cynical so I figured Cosby would get himself some very expensive lawyers that would prevent a retrial from happening. Then the retrial happened. Then he got ten years. Of course he's going to appeal it but at this point I doubt much that it'll get overturned. Maybe he'll get let out on house arrest or something because he's just freaking old but, fact is, he got convicted. Even if it does get overturned on some bullshit technicality I really don't think there's any coming back from it. Dude's guilty as gently caress.

Polanski managed to do that because he's a citizen of...three countries? Four? I don't think Weinstein has that. If memory serves Polanski didn't run to avoid the whole thing; he ran because the judge decided he wasn't going to keep his side of a plea deal. That particular situation is a mess and that is lovely behavior on the end of the judge. I don't think Polanski was going to even take it to trial and was going to accept whatever the bargain was. I forget the details of it.

Weinstein I expect to fight it tooth and nail to the bitter end. Of course other things in the news not relating to celebrities is I guess even countries that don't have extradition treaties are being very cooperative with American law enforcement. I guess the guy that made the 3D printable guns is being accused of abusing a minor and was in Taiwan. He skipped his flight and stayed. I guess there's no extradition treaty but Taiwan was like "nah, gently caress this guy" and sent him back anyway.

Okay. The citizenship part makes sense. If Weinstein fled to France the US would cancel his passport and the French would arrest him for that. Same goes for the 3D-gun-minor-fun-time guy. Once his passport was canceled he was in Taiwan illegally. The one trick that drives prosecutors crazy is getting citizenship in the right kind of country ahead of time.

Polanksi is a weird one. I feel like he should get some credit for how absolutely broke-brained he probably was following the murder of his wife and child, but at the same time some of his interviews since fleeing make me otherwise. In retrospect he probably wishes he had just done 6 months in prison and been done with it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I am now obligated to post the Curb bit I referred to earlier
https://youtu.be/ktZde2tEK1Y

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Didn't Kramer show up in Curb Your Enthusiasm and in a scene which I guess was supposed to exculpate him but only made him look worse because his line was something like I wish I could call you a name that makes you feel as bad as you're making me feel because hachi machi if you think getting heckled is the same as getting called racial slurs

Edit whoops shoulda refreshed

Calaveron has a new favorite as of 15:02 on Oct 4, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Didn't Kramer show up in Curb Your Enthusiasm and in a scene which I guess was supposed to exculpate him but only made him look worse because his line was something like I wish I could call you a name that makes you feel as bad as you're making me feel because hachi machi if you think getting heckled is the same as getting called racial slurs

It’s literally in the post I just made above you. It’s not exculpating. It’s just making fun of him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's plenty of New Hollywood era stars who I'm sort of surprised haven't had anything come out against them, but at the same time, I'm not sure how much of that is me casting potentially unfair aspersions on their characters. For example, Warren Beatty is an infamous womaniser and it's not really that you'd expect allegations to be made against him (because one probably shouldn't baldly assume that someone who's a massive horndog must necessarily be a sexual predator), but you probably wouldn't be surprised if they were.

I remember that big tell-all document from about 2004 that gets linked sometimes insinuated that Jack Nicholson was into some messed up poo poo. I think Dustin Hoffman's the only big name actor from that era I can think of who's had accusations definitively made, but I suppose he just doesn't work regularly enough these days (I want to say he's semi-retired?) that he's just not in the public eye as much.

Kind of a tricky thing because being a huge horndog and/or into weird poo poo doesn't necessarily mean they don't engage in consensual... whatever it is they do. Also they could just be gay, and that'd have been more damaging to your career not long ago. (and probably might still be) And you can agree that someone is a scumbag without necessarily doing anything illegal. (Joss Whedon comes to mind)

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

Okay. The citizenship part makes sense. If Weinstein fled to France the US would cancel his passport and the French would arrest him for that. Same goes for the 3D-gun-minor-fun-time guy. Once his passport was canceled he was in Taiwan illegally. The one trick that drives prosecutors crazy is getting citizenship in the right kind of country ahead of time.

Polanksi is a weird one. I feel like he should get some credit for how absolutely broke-brained he probably was following the murder of his wife and child, but at the same time some of his interviews since fleeing make me otherwise. In retrospect he probably wishes he had just done 6 months in prison and been done with it.

I think the issue was that he was offered maybe a short stint and some probation or just a few years of probation but the judge just kind of went "nah gently caress it you're getting many decades instead" after he pled guilty. It wouldn't have been just six months in a box. The judge changed his mind to "going away forever." He can't be extradited from a country he's a citizen of or something. Its complex and weird and I'm not lawyery enough to understand all of it.

lovely behavior on the part of the judge.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Krispy Wafer posted:

Another thing with the Polanski case is the woman he raped. Yeah, she's on record forgiving him but that's more because any time his name comes up she ends up with the rape getting brought up again. She's not been allowed to heal and move on how she sees fit like most. It's like she's been given a scarlet letter and will always be the one Polanski raped as far as the public eye attention goes. The rape itself is a nightmare I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, but it's equally hosed up that she can't escape it always getting brought up. I'd think that'd be pretty drat traumatizing as well.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ToxicSlurpee posted:

... American society has been going increasingly insane overall...

Forgiveness sticks out in my mind as there is a lot of poo poo I need to let go of for the sake of my own mental health. It seems to me that American society has gotten far too quick to hate and far too slow to forgive. It's like that saying goes; "clinging to anger is like taking poison and hoping somebody else will die."

America has only just recently started to hold powerful people accountable for sex crimes and racism and you're in here saying that's a bad thing because we're now too quick to hate and never forgive.

Whether you realize it or not that is the position you're taking.

purple death ray has a new favorite as of 15:16 on Oct 4, 2018

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
Richards is a bad example to pick for this discussion because even if he were 100% Forgiven by America for the Laugh Factory incident and his comedy career was restored to its pre-racist-rant state, he would still be in basically the same place he is now—recognizable as That Guy from Seinfeld but hard-up for anything resembling actual work.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Richards is a bad example to pick for this discussion because even if he were 100% Forgiven by America for the Laugh Factory incident and his comedy career was restored to its pre-racist-rant state, he would still be in basically the same place he is now—recognizable as That Guy from Seinfeld but hard-up for anything resembling actual work.

Only thing I remember him in other than Seinfeld was that movie Wierd Al Yankovic did.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's plenty of New Hollywood era stars who I'm sort of surprised haven't had anything come out against them, but at the same time, I'm not sure how much of that is me casting potentially unfair aspersions on their characters.
I expected Jared Leto to be accused publicly by now.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It isn't him, specifically, that I'm thinking about he's just the topic of the conversation. If he did that once then fixed his ways and never did again then that's good enough for me. As for getting the spotlight back if people still want to watch him then why shouldn't they? The thing that gets me is people telling other people they aren't allowed to enjoy somebody ever again for something like that.
No one in here is saying this. You're the one being weird about other people's choice to not support someone who hosed up. People can watch/listen to all the racists and rapists they like for all I care as long as it doesn't reveal that they have a really lovely opinions. What strawman is it who is keeping people from enjoying or giving money to these people? Are they physically blocking you from entering venues or slapping your wrist every time you're trying to buy a song on Itunes? You're grief should be with whoever is supposed to hire these totally reformed entertainers not the people who have no willingness to consume anything new from them because they are not owed that.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

M_Sinistrari posted:

Only thing I remember him in other than Seinfeld was that movie Wierd Al Yankovic did.

He was the dad of the lovely kid in Problem Child too.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

M_Sinistrari posted:

UHF is a good movie, and I will hear nothing to the contrary

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

M_Sinistrari posted:

I know Jason Alexander has been busy with various projects for the past 20 years but honestly I think Julia Louis-Dreyfuss is the only member of the core cast who's been consistently successful since Seinfeld ended.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

Some of the jokes fit this thread for various reasons, but it is a funny movie

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Bloop posted:

Some of the jokes fit this thread for various reasons, but it is a funny movie

I have to admit, I laughed.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

fruit BOO!ts posted:

Goebbels in…

“Two Lebensraums Don’t Make A Reich”

Close !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf9jJx0NSjw

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

purple death ray posted:

He was the dad of the lovely kid in Problem Child too.

I think that was before Seinfeld though. And John Ritter was the dad, he was the bow tie killer. He liked Smilie Pies! Live for kicks! Shoot him in the prune!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I think it's been long enough that we can finally bring back Michael Richard's hit tv show where he's a detective or some poo poo I don't even remember I think it lasted for all of 5 episodes.

Even my parents didn't watch it and they watched the entire runs of Two and Half Men and Big Bang Theory.

Oh, was that the one where he was originally Columbo's wife before the show was retooled?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think that was before Seinfeld though. And John Ritter was the dad, he was the bow tie killer. He liked Smilie Pies! Live for kicks! Shoot him in the prune!

John Ritter was the nice adoptive dad, Michael Richards was the bow tie killer.
Yeah that was years before Seinfeld, so was UHF.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

In my defense, it's been over a decade or longer since I sat through it.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

rodbeard posted:

On the other hand you have people like Woody Allen dating an underage girl he cast in a film he made about a different underage girl he dated.

You forgot about how he married his wife's adopted daughter he helped raise, and raped his daughter with her by blood when she was a child.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

My therapist keeps reminding me that I am wracked with guilt not because of things I did but because of things that were done to me. Maybe that factors, maybe it doesn't, but I've dealt with entirely too much "I'm going to use this against you for the rest of your existence. This makes you lesser than me" in my life. I'd rather not talk about the details of what was done to me so don't ask.

Yes, abusers will hold things over your head that either weren't actually bad in the first place, or for way longer than is warranted. That doesn't mean that all people who don't forgive are abusers. Sometimes people do unforgivable things, or at least things that make you not want to associate with them any more. Cutting off ties with someone isn't the same as holding it over their heads. It's not abusive to not want anything to do with your homophobic parent. Yes, even if they changed. If you're constantly holding it over your partner that they cheated once 5 years ago, and control them with the guilt, that's abusive. If you leave them for it, and won't take them back because of it 5 years later, that is not. Even if you do forgive them. You can forgive someone and still want nothing to do with them. No one owes anyone a relationship of any sort.

Also, maybe it's easier to see these comedians as sympathetic when you've never been the one that is targeted by this lovely behavior. Things like Tracy Morgan saying he'd kill a gay son, or Chapelle talking about "trannies" tricking people into sex actively hurts people. It normalizes discrimination. It makes horrible struggles people go through into jokes. It makes me unable to watch anything without that fear in the back of my head, that at any point someone is going to make a transphobic joke. Will the people around me all laugh? Will my friends look to me to react? All while I'm sitting there, questioning once again, what if everyone is right, and it's just my mental illness making me think I'm trans, and I am a disgusting abomination?

Can you imagine what it's like to be reminded that you live in a country where there are people who still think you deserve to be killed for heckling them? One that will defend someone who says that, and claim it was just a bad day? One that, 12 years later, still will have people who will believe that someone can say something like that and not actually be racist, it's just a bad day. Saying someone should be lynched isn't something anyone could accidentally come out with on a bad day. It's only something someone who is deeply, hatefully racist would say, because he truly believes it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I just watched the first two episodes of League of Gentlemen, and I mostly liked it, but there is just like, an absurdly transphobic character and it has aged as poorly as something can age.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Araenna posted:

Saying someone should be lynched isn't something anyone could accidentally come out with on a bad day. It's only something someone who is deeply, hatefully racist would say, because he truly believes it.

That's kinda how I looked at it. Had it been he said the N-word or some other slur in the heat of the moment, that can be a case of someone having a bad day and really hosed up. But with what he said and how much of it there was, that's not something heat of the moment or bad day, it's too structured with thought behind it. That's some genuine belief coming out. As for his career, it's on him to repair the damage he's done and from what we've seen, he hasn't done much towards that.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

M_Sinistrari posted:

That's kinda how I looked at it. Had it been he said the N-word or some other slur in the heat of the moment, that can be a case of someone having a bad day and really hosed up.

Luckily he did that too

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

M_Sinistrari posted:

Had it been he said the N-word or some other slur in the heat of the moment, that can be a case of someone having a bad day and really hosed up.

I've had a lot of bad days and yet somehow never started spewing racial slurs.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think the issue was that he was offered maybe a short stint and some probation or just a few years of probation but the judge just kind of went "nah gently caress it you're getting many decades instead" after he pled guilty. It wouldn't have been just six months in a box. The judge changed his mind to "going away forever." He can't be extradited from a country he's a citizen of or something. Its complex and weird and I'm not lawyery enough to understand all of it.

lovely behavior on the part of the judge.

Really? Because I'd say "Rot in prison forever" is a reasonable sentence for someone who drugged and anally raped a teenage girl. It's not up to the criminal to decide what sentence is appropriate.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gally posted:

I've had a lot of bad days and yet somehow never started spewing racial slurs.

Never had a heated gamer moment sad

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Sunswipe posted:

Really? Because I'd say "Rot in prison forever" is a reasonable sentence for someone who drugged and anally raped a teenage girl. It's not up to the criminal to decide what sentence is appropriate.

But he made these movies, you see, furthermore who does this "judge" think he is? Some kind of elected court official who has the power to do that?

MariusLecter has a new favorite as of 19:52 on Oct 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Araenna posted:

Also, maybe it's easier to see these comedians as sympathetic when you've never been the one that is targeted by this lovely behavior. Things like Tracy Morgan saying he'd kill a gay son, or Chapelle talking about "trannies" tricking people into sex actively hurts people. It normalizes discrimination. It makes horrible struggles people go through into jokes. It makes me unable to watch anything without that fear in the back of my head, that at any point someone is going to make a transphobic joke. Will the people around me all laugh? Will my friends look to me to react? All while I'm sitting there, questioning once again, what if everyone is right, and it's just my mental illness making me think I'm trans, and I am a disgusting abomination?

Can you imagine what it's like to be reminded that you live in a country where there are people who still think you deserve to be killed for heckling them? One that will defend someone who says that, and claim it was just a bad day? One that, 12 years later, still will have people who will believe that someone can say something like that and not actually be racist, it's just a bad day. Saying someone should be lynched isn't something anyone could accidentally come out with on a bad day. It's only something someone who is deeply, hatefully racist would say, because he truly believes it.

My favorites are Lewis black, George Carlin, and all the ones that joke about food. How often does that sort of thing happen? Feel like I missed something along the way now. Or maybe I just stick to cynical old dudes and food and haven't seen much of the rest. How bad is it? I don't think I've ever watched Tracy Morgan for example.

I wonder if in this case if it was just a one off thing. I won't ever say it was acceptable behavior because it wasn't. I'm not going to defend it I just want to know what you consider proper atonement or if you think that's impossible. Granted it probably also has wishful thinking on my part. The guy that played Kramer can't be THAT racist, can he?

Do you believe fixing the damage is possible? If he's willing to own up to it and mend his ways how do you think he should go about doing it? That's what I'm wondering about, really. How does one undo the damage? If he's willing to change how does he prove it?

The worst I've experienced is people treating me like I'm stupid or acting shocked at my education level when they find out I'm of polish descent. Mostly when I point out that I don't like dumb pole jokes and ask people to not tell them they stop. Mostly. I won't claim to have gone through anything of that level because I haven't. I don't think I've ever heard a comedian even mention that demographic.