Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

WhyteRyce posted:

What is the general consensus on all those Chinese brand phones? Yes they are stealing your data and sending it to China instead of sending it to the NSA?

I've been looking into them and the vast majority don't support all the LTE bands and would work badly in the states. It's a drat shame too because stuff like the Xiaomi A2, Pocophone, etc. are astounding and blow everything away anywhere near their price. I'm so fed up with my Moto G5+ and ready to jump ship to the first good phone I can find that's under $300 and has good LTE support (and no I don't want the Nokia 6.1--it's a 16:9 brick with no weather resistance).

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

I've been looking into them and the vast majority don't support all the LTE bands and would work badly in the states. It's a drat shame too because stuff like the Xiaomi A2, Pocophone, etc. are astounding and blow everything away anywhere near their price. I'm so fed up with my Moto G5+ and ready to jump ship to the first good phone I can find that's under $300 and has good LTE supporti (and no I don't want the Nokia 6.1--it's a 16:9 brick with no weather resistance).
I
Call your senator to allow Chinese phones to be sold in the US. They're not gon a support a Market where they can't sell.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

GlassEye-Boy posted:

I
Call your senator to allow Chinese phones to be sold in the US. They're not gon a support a Market where they can't sell.

My nihilism says that this won't matter

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

GlassEye-Boy posted:

I

There's no ban on Chinese phones in the US. There's a ban on the government using them and there was a ban on ZTE specifically due to other reasons.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What's the best way to diagnose your data connection not working, maybe for AT&T specifically? I think the presidential text broke something.

edit: Put the SIM in another phone and it isn't working in that for data either. AT&T problem, I guess.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a really durable case for a Nokia 6.1 that doesn’t look like it came off of a Sy-Fy original movie set? Seems like neither Otterbox nor Incipio make cases for it.

I use this and it seems fine:
https://amazon.com/Sucnakp-Absorption-Technology-Protective-smartphone/dp/B07C9S32MW

Don't know if that fits your aesthetic or is tough enough. It is cheap though!

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 3, 2018

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

WhyteRyce posted:

What is the general consensus on all those Chinese brand phones? Yes they are stealing your data and sending it to China instead of sending it to the NSA?

the australian government just banned Huawai from being involved with the 5g rollout over data concerns and their response was "weeelll they don't force us to do it"

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Charles posted:

What's the best way to diagnose your data connection not working, maybe for AT&T specifically? I think the presidential text broke something.

edit: Put the SIM in another phone and it isn't working in that for data either. AT&T problem, I guess.

I use this and it seems fine:
https://amazon.com/Sucnakp-Absorption-Technology-Protective-smartphone/dp/B07C9S32MW

Don't know if that fits your aesthetic or is tough enough. It is cheap though!

Thanks, I’ll look into that one.

My wife just got the phone, supposedly new. Now she is getting a “Phone not allowed” error. We’re on MetroPCS, could it be that the phone was prepped for Google Fi, or did we get sold a stolen phone?

Going to try calling MetroPCS, but their customer service isn’t exactly top notch.

E: just had to be unlocked. Now she has a phone that isn’t garbage.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 4, 2018

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Apparently, if you remove the default Samsung SMS app and install a non-Samsung app for SMS, you won't receive alerts like Amber Alerts, weather alerts...or the Presidential Alerts as the alert functionality is baked into the SMS app and NOT the OS like it's supposed to be.

Friends of mine are saying they never got any alert at all and one posted on Twitter about it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

ThermoPhysical posted:

Apparently, if you remove the default Samsung SMS app and install a non-Samsung app for SMS, you won't receive alerts like Amber Alerts, weather alerts...or the Presidential Alerts as the alert functionality is baked into the SMS app and NOT the OS like it's supposed to be.

Friends of mine are saying they never got any alert at all and one posted on Twitter about it.
This is awesome, now I don't have to hear from Trump

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I'm glad the Queen doesn't text she just pops on tv at Christmas.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ThermoPhysical posted:

Samsung probably won't let you remove the app but it can be set to not default, iirc

Also disabled with that app Disabler app that's Samsung exc I guess

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

ThermoPhysical posted:

All the more reason to install Textra.

I didn't get the Alert either

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
just don't live in the US. Cheaper data plans, all the chinese fones u want, and no silly alerts.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

other people posted:

just don't live in the US. Cheaper data plans, all the chinese fones u want, and no silly alerts.

This is a really terrible and inaccurate post.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is a really terrible and inaccurate post.

I mean some of that isn't wrong. You also don't live in the US though...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

vyst posted:

I mean some of that isn't wrong. You also don't live in the US though...

Exactly. Our data plans, and many other countries, cost WAY more for WAY less, we still have alerts, and can be just as hard to get some phones.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Speaking of Chinese electronics fun.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-10-04/the-big-hack-how-china-used-a-tiny-chip-to-infiltrate-america-s-top-companies

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CLAM DOWN posted:

Exactly. Our data plans, and many other countries, cost WAY more for WAY less, we still have alerts, and can be just as hard to get some phones.

A substantial part of this is deregulation/privatization, which combined with the other part (the fact that huge swathes of the country are almost devoid of humanity and not serviced by high-volume roads, making infrastructure expansion expensive) means every person living in a civilized area with even moderate pop density and transportation connections is subsidizing the cost of rural service. Other countries with similar pop distribution issues (like China) have public infrastructure carrying the costs which are paid by the consumer in the US.

It boils down to the fact that in the US the consumer is eating the cost of what is publicly subsidized elsewhere and retail pricing doesn't scale with income like taxes do, so everyone pays $80ish for passable service in civilized areas, middling coverage on major interstate corridors, and something between fuckall and 2G beyond that. Second-tier rural carriers (like Viaraeo or Hughes) have jack poo poo for surplus backhaul so any arrangement with the big carriers is almost as good as nothing and short of massive cap investment from the big 3 (honestly does sprint count anymore) to improve someone else's backhaul it's not going to improve unless the government starts viewing fiber as a natural extension of the post office's responsibilities.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Amazon, Apple, and Super Micro all say no.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/04/chi...eek-report.html

So if it is true, then the conspiracy theory than becomes that they all know the chips are there, are working with the Chinese government, and don't want people to know.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

So if it is true, then the conspiracy theory than becomes that they all know the chips are there, are working with the Chinese government, and don't want people to know.

It would result in a catastrophic drop in revenue, you see.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

A substantial part of this is deregulation/privatization, which combined with the other part (the fact that huge swathes of the country are almost devoid of humanity and not serviced by high-volume roads, making infrastructure expansion expensive) means every person living in a civilized area with even moderate pop density and transportation connections is subsidizing the cost of rural service. Other countries with similar pop distribution issues (like China) have public infrastructure carrying the costs which are paid by the consumer in the US.

It boils down to the fact that in the US the consumer is eating the cost of what is publicly subsidized elsewhere and retail pricing doesn't scale with income like taxes do, so everyone pays $80ish for passable service in civilized areas, middling coverage on major interstate corridors, and something between fuckall and 2G beyond that. Second-tier rural carriers (like Viaraeo or Hughes) have jack poo poo for surplus backhaul so any arrangement with the big carriers is almost as good as nothing and short of massive cap investment from the big 3 (honestly does sprint count anymore) to improve someone else's backhaul it's not going to improve unless the government starts viewing fiber as a natural extension of the post office's responsibilities.

That's all well and good, but the world drastically varies - it's $85 for 1GB here as a baseline.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Lmao of course they loving say no, what did you expect???

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's all well and good, but the world drastically varies - it's $85 for 1GB here as a baseline.

Yeah and a lot of that basic variation can be accounted for by density/distance. There's not a thousand linear miles of nearly empty space in the entire Korean peninsula, for example.

Compare that to, say, a line going from MPLS to Spokane. Even if you piggyback on the most direct interstate route you're taking a 1400 mile trip through North Dakota and Montana.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ThermoPhysical posted:

It's a bit simpler than that. They informed the relevant authorities, have no evidence of actual breach that they need to notify end users of, and don't want their stock price to tank.

I'm sure Cisco also denies that they have any evidence that the NSA intercepts their hardware and installs hardware backdoors, but we know it's happening.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I'm sure Cisco also denies that they have any evidence that the NSA intercepts their hardware and installs hardware backdoors, but we know it's happening.

Both we and Cisco are probably right.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yes, it's obvious they're going to say no.

But it's also obvious that this is just from one news source and that should also be suspect too.

It's also obvious that this won't even make a dent for Apple's profits and Amazon could probably give less of a poo poo.

Super Micro is the one who got hit pretty bad from it, apparently.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Nokia 7.1 is official for US

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/10/the-349-nokia-7-1-brings-a-low-price-flagship-style-design-to-the-us/

$349 Android One

Snapdragon 636 SoC
4GB of RAM
64GB of storage
3060mAh battery
5.8-inch, 19.9, 2280×1080 LCD with notch

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 4, 2018

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

That's more appealing to me than the Pixel 3 by far. Mostly because of the price but it also looks pretty nice from a hardware standpoint.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

bull3964 posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/10/the-349-nokia-7-1-brings-a-low-price-flagship-style-design-to-the-us/

$349 Android One

Snapdragon 636 SoC
4GB of RAM
64GB of storage
3060mAh battery

Nice! That's really competitive with the midrange phones from China right now actually. I think I found my next phone--can't wait to dump this G5+.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The only annoying thing about that Nokia is they compromised the phone with a glass back but then neglected to give it wireless charging.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mental Hospitality posted:

That's more appealing to me than the Pixel 3 by far. Mostly because of the price but it also looks pretty nice from a hardware standpoint.

The camera will be way worse, sounds like the display too. Not sure about 636 vs 845, but could be a noticeable performance difference. It’s not meant to compete with the Pixel 3 though, not sure why you’d compare them. You get the Nokia if you don’t want a flagship phone. It does look a ton nicer than a Moto G.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I'll take a good 15+ watt fast charge any day over wireless charging. Wireless power is one of those features like modularization that sounds good on paper and you think you need, but then you use and realize it's kinda a dumb (slow) gimmick.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Agree to disagree, but my point was that there was no reason to go with a glass back otherwise.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

mod sassinator posted:

I'll take a good 15+ watt fast charge any day over wireless charging. Wireless power is one of those features like modularization that sounds good on paper and you think you need, but then you use and realize it's kinda a dumb (slow) gimmick.

I don't know how your use case goes but I have wireless charging as mandatory in my book. A nice cradle charger makes it super convenient to charge at a desk and glance over to check notifications, or set it down in complete darkness at night when going to bed. Just don't use the puck chargers, they're garbage.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Any recommendations for a screen protector for a Nokia 6.1? I know usually the advice is the cheapest tempered glass one, but it seems like some companies are messing them up because of a curved screen, which I didn’t realize it even has?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bull3964 posted:

$349 Android One

Snapdragon 636 SoC
4GB of RAM
64GB of storage
3060mAh battery

Does the camera app actually work? Because it doesn't on my 6.1. Also Bluetooth seems to be incompatible with Anker stuff. Otherwise I sort of want it and will give my phone to somebody else.

edit: Oh wait, this isn't the same as the 7+. Oh well.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 4, 2018

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

bull3964 posted:

$349 Android One

Snapdragon 636 SoC
4GB of RAM
64GB of storage
3060mAh battery

So many phones that don't work on Verizon :argh:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

OhFunny posted:

So many phones that don't work on Verizon :argh:

At this point, there's no drat good reason since Verizon activates LTE only phones now.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bull3964 posted:

$349 Android One

Snapdragon 636 SoC
4GB of RAM
64GB of storage
3060mAh battery

Ooh, this looks appealing. My Nexus 5X died recently, I think I'd be much happier spending $349 on this than $650+ for a Pixel.

bull3964 posted:

The only annoying thing about that Nokia is they compromised the phone with a glass back but then neglected to give it wireless charging.

I wouldn't have minded wireless charging, but I'm not too worried about structural integrity since I know I'm going to stick it in a case anyway. I hope someone makes a good folio case for it, I loved the one I had with my Nexus.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/10/4/17937138/verizon-stops-selling-google-pixel-2

quote:

The retail EOL (end of life) is evidence that Google (or at least Verizon) won’t be keeping the Pixel 2 around as a lower-priced alternative to the 3.

Did this happen with the Pixel 1 also? Kinda shocking that they just pull it from stores before the successor is announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Taking a page out of OnePlus' playbook I see.