Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Any lore guys able to sound off on what we can expect for the legendary lords?

There's the guy in the trailer who I'm guessing is probably the Settra equivalent 'official' faction leader and skirmish/ranged focused. I'd probably guess as to there being a melee fightbeast, a more straightforward ubercaster, and probably a monstrous (or monster adjacent, think riding one of those doomcrabs) lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

the real question is how are people going to shorthand Vampire Coast?

ZP, based on Zombie Pirates - the actual name of their army in White Dwarf -, would work, but it is kind of impenetrable for people coming from outside.

Just keep it VC, no one will confuse them with Vampire Counts or Von Carsteins.

[fake edit]VC2, actually.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

DeathSandwich posted:

This is going to be a pretty interesting DLC regarding lords, are there really aren't any other than Harkon himself

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
This is really going to scratch an itch I didn't know I had. My two loves in this game are black powder gunlines and big monsters tearing into poo poo, so this is pretty much going to be my jam.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I really liked how they handled the GCCM guys, they could have been real dicks about it.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Glad they're adding mournghuls though I didn't think they'd be dragging themselves along the ground like that

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Glad they're adding mournghuls though I didn't think they'd be dragging themselves along the ground like that

Oh, that's what those things are.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

I’m hoping for some sort of Banshee/Siren/Ghost lady pirate, an ethereal LL would be interesting

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

There's the guy in the trailer who I'm guessing is probably the Settra equivalent 'official' faction leader and skirmish/ranged focused. I'd probably guess as to there being a melee fightbeast, a more straightforward ubercaster, and probably a monstrous (or monster adjacent, think riding one of those doomcrabs) lord.

There's four that come to mind;

Luthor Harkan, the guy in the trailer and the poster boy for the Vampire Coast.

Captain Drekla, a subordinate of Harkan who gets name dropped during the End Times.

Count Noctilus, master of the Dreadfleet who also seems to be the inspiration for the Shipwreck golems; "Feasting upon the dark magic of the Maelstrom, Nyklaus raised up the shattered remains of dead warships to form the hull of the Bloody..."

And the last one who's a bit of a stretch, Aranessa Saltspite, who's a mysterious pirate queen from Sartosa. Technically she might be more Chaos-aligned, but her backstory is vague and she could possibly be a vampire.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 4, 2018

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

Luthor Harkon is the Vampire Coast's main guy. And Captain Drekla is undoubtedly going to get a promotion to lord. Other then that, there aren't much named characters directly linked to the fanged pirates.
Louis Cypher was a vampire that got on a boat and tried to attack Ulthuan. And from Dreadfleet there's Noctilus, Vangheist & Skretch (an undead Skaven!)

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Captain Drekla, a subordinate of Harkan who gets name dropped during the End Times.

Count Noctilus, master of the Dreadfleet who also seems to be the inspiration for the Shipwreck golems; "Feasting upon the dark magic of the Maelstrom, Nyklaus raised up the shattered remains of dead warships to form the hull of the Bloody..."

And the last one who's a bit of a stretch, Aranessa Saltspite, who's a mysterious pirate captain from Sartosa. Technically she might be more Chaos-aligned, but her backstory is vague and she could possibly be a vampire.

The wiki page for the ship golems (http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Necrofex_Colossus) mentions an Estlia necromancer who turned herself into one.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I never knew those were an actual table top thing, neato.

Anyway bring on the Undead Skaven pirate captain I say, have him be like Arkhan the Black and get some additional Skaven units to his roster.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zore posted:

this except exactly the opposite.

'just some dudes' are boring as gently caress and there are already a million other TW games and clones full of that boring garbage.

Monster units are all poorly differentiated and there's little finesse or technique in using them. Their spectacle with little substance, you click them on another unit and watch them go.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Isn't Harkon a son of Wallach Harkon, the idiot (Seriously, Wallach is a huge whiney fragile baby who happens to be a superhuman killing machine) who officially leads the crazy vampire knights? Just decided his dad was stupid, went off to be a pirate, stole the wrong treasure, and turned into a Pirates of the Caribbean villain?

I don't know as much about vampirates as normal vamps.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Night10194 posted:

Isn't Harkon a son of Wallach Harkon, the idiot (Seriously, Wallach is a huge whiney fragile baby who happens to be a superhuman killing machine) who officially leads the crazy vampire knights? Just decided his dad was stupid, went off to be a pirate, stole the wrong treasure, and turned into a Pirates of the Caribbean villain?

I don't know as much about vampirates as normal vamps.

That's pretty much it yeah.

Edit: Lexicanum thinks he's one of Abhorash's original spawn and Wallach's human cousin, but doesn't provide sources.

One of the first hams products I ever bought was an issue of White Dwarf that had a short story or scenario rules or something about Luthor. I never thought I'd seem him playable.

ZeusJupitar fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 4, 2018

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SickZip posted:

Monster units are all poorly differentiated and there's little finesse or technique in using them. Their spectacle with little substance, you click them on another unit and watch them go.

... how is this any different from literally any other unit?

Monsters at least reward micro in a way infantry blobs don't as you can cycle charge with them, or force them through enemy formations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

SickZip posted:

You can be this reductive with most unit types. Here, see: "Infantry blocks are all poorly differentiated and there's little finesse or technique in using them. You click them on another unit and watch them go, and when they break you wait for them to rally and click them on another unit."

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
Hand cannons in trailer. Ogres when?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

And the last one who's a bit of a stretch, Aranessa Saltspite, who's a mysterious pirate queen from Sartosa. Technically she might be more Chaos-aligned, but her backstory is vague and she could possibly be a vampire.

So then the question then becomes what are the start locations going to look like? Obviously Harkon is probably going to have the Vampire Coast start, and I'm going to guess someone is going to start in Sartosa, but I'm kind of curious where we go from there. Spacewise it seems to make sense to start someone in Araby at or around fantasy Morocco. From there though it's starting to get crowded in the areas I would expect a vampire coast start. There's space in central Lustria, but I wouldn't expect a vampire coast faction to start landlocked on top of that area being better for a new lizardmen or skaven start. You could slot them in on the west coast of Lustria between Teclis and Mazdamundi in that swampy stretch that's normally contested between the skaven and savage orcs. Naggaroth and the dark elf continent writ large is starting to get extremely crowded with Legendary Lords and I would kind of prefer it be someplace slightly less packed. You could drop them into the barren Naggarythe area in the High Elves continent and fluff it as them taking advantage of the chaos of the vortex rituals to gain foothold and start raiding elf trade routes.

My secondary kind of silly wish for part of the Vampire Counts rework in this patch as well is playable Mousillion as well. The Red Duke already has unique items and abilities for his multiplayer model or if you somehow get to confederate him in campaign before Brettonia snuffs him out.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 4, 2018

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
My hope is the Vampire Count rework includes infiltration like the hidden pirate coves, to represent vampiric corruption better, as well as Lahmians.

I think the starts will be Vampire Coast, Sartosa, the west coast of Lustria, and either the west coast of whatever the southlands are called or one of the elven island outposts like Tor Elasor.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Vampirates yeeeeessssss

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
The monsters look so hosed up and downright scary in this race pack. The models and animations for the rest of the game are really good, don't get me wrong, but the jawless blobby thing that lunges at you in that trailer is the first time i've thought something was scary in games for a long while. Can't wait to use it!

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

That be a Mourngul, took me a while to realise since their model is posed very differently (that's a horse it's grasping for scale):

They've got some nifty lore, in life they were cannibals who on death got twisted by rogue winds of magic that transformed them into all-consuming monsters. They're kinda ghosts with a physical body, and they have an innate aura of cold around them (might translate to Frostbite).

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

DeathSandwich posted:

So then the question then becomes what are the start locations going to look like? Obviously Harkon is probably going to have the Vampire Coast start, and I'm going to guess someone is going to start in Sartosa, but I'm kind of curious where we go from there. Spacewise it seems to make sense to start someone in Araby at or around fantasy Morocco. From there though it's starting to get crowded in the areas I would expect a vampire coast start. There's space in central Lustria, but I wouldn't expect a vampire coast faction to start landlocked on top of that area being better for a new lizardmen or skaven start. You could slot them in on the west coast of Lustria between Teclis and Mazdamundi in that swampy stretch that's normally contested between the skaven and savage orcs. Naggaroth and the dark elf continent writ large is starting to get extremely crowded with Legendary Lords and I would kind of prefer it be someplace slightly less packed. You could drop them into the barren Naggarythe area in the High Elves continent and fluff it as them taking advantage of the chaos of the vortex rituals to gain foothold and start raiding elf trade routes.

My secondary kind of silly wish for part of the Vampire Counts rework in this patch as well is playable Mousillion as well. The Red Duke already has unique items and abilities for his multiplayer model or if you somehow get to confederate him in campaign before Brettonia snuffs him out.

Maybe they'll work as a combination of hordes and settled factions and start with just their ships but are able to take stuff on the coast as bases.

Alternatively there's a ruined settlement on a peninsula between Mazadundi and Morthai's start positions that would work.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I am very down for this expansion. And gently caress do CA know how to make trailers these days.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

For people more knowledgeable about TT, is this more or less obscure than what CA did with the full Norsca faction?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Zombie pirates. It's the perfect storm of two of the internet's favorite things.

The pirate coves things sounds interesting, makes me wonder why Skaven don't work like that already. The Vampire Coast units look loving amazing, and I'm really glad they're doing another faction that didn't have an official army book. It also bolsters the idea that the following DLCs (which are codenamed "spaghetti" and "carpet") are probably going to be DoW/Southern Realms and Araby.

I'm down for all of that. Norsca turned out great, and Vampire Pirates looks amazing, so give me Araby and Estalia/Tilea.

I just wish I could believe that was coming out in some reasonable timeframe, rather than "eh, maybe sometime next year? maybe 2020?".

Anno posted:

For people more knowledgeable about TT, is this more or less obscure than what CA did with the full Norsca faction?

Maybe around the same? Vampire Coast never had an official army book, as far as I know, and neither did Norsca. A lot of this is based off of stuff that was in the fluff, and I don't think the giant crabs and poo poo had actual tabletop models or anything. Just a lot of fluff describing their armies and what was going on.

Norsca is broadly similar (although it did have some tabletop models through Forgeworld, I guess?), in that there was no army book and simply an army list, and CA ran with that. They filled out the roster by adding in stuff like Fimir, and took cues from the lore to design their mechanics. The Norsca you see in-game is mostly CA's work, although the concept was obviously GW's, just never fleshed out much.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 4, 2018

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

The Mournghul reveal on the boat was legitimately creepy.

Also, I think it's infinitely more awesome that we get this pack versus Dogs of War just because GW obviously trusts CA to be creative with their DLC, and I'm glad they have cause this poo poo looks tight. Dogs of War would have (I think they're still coming) been awesome but this is a good sign for more obscure factions and lore seeing the light of day. We just might see Araby in game two.

Also, was Lore of the Deep ever a thing in the lore or is this an entirely new school of magic CA has created? Either way I'm excited to see what it entails.

blindwoozie fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 4, 2018

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am excited to see sub settlements of slaves come to rome 2 for sparticus

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

That be a Mourngul, took me a while to realise since their model is posed very differently (that's a horse it's grasping for scale):

They've got some nifty lore, in life they were cannibals who on death got twisted by rogue winds of magic that transformed them into all-consuming monsters. They're kinda ghosts with a physical body, and they have an innate aura of cold around them (might translate to Frostbite).

Fuuck me, that thing is horrifying. I love it.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Anno posted:

Ehhh, probably more obscure. Vampire Coast did have an army list, but Norsca was cobbled from a lot of unused Chaos content which was more readily available.

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Also, was Lore of the Deep ever a thing in the lore or is this an entirely new school of magic CA has created? Either way I'm excited to see what it entails.

It might be a Warhammer Fantasy RPG thing, there's certainly some Warhammer Sea Gods with some magics tied to them.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 4, 2018

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Tilea/Dogs of War and maybe Araby would be a good capstone D/FLC for Warhammer 2, like Norsca was for WH1. They probably won't gently caress up the transition into WH3 this time either, haha.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
This might have been pushed ahead of DoW because the naval element of the game felt like a huge weakness in the gameplay. Makes sense to address it alongside the pirate faction you planned on adding anyway.

It's pretty awesome either way

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Anno posted:

They had army rules that were released in a white dwarf so less obscure then what happened with Norsca but not by much.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

toasterwarrior posted:

Tilea/Dogs of War and maybe Araby would be a good capstone D/FLC for Warhammer 2, like Norsca was for WH1. They probably won't gently caress up the transition into WH3 this time either, haha.

Dogs of War will probably be the FLC with the whole silk road thing going on in the Dorklands.

Mazz posted:

This might have been pushed ahead of DoW because the naval element of the game felt like a huge weakness in the gameplay. Makes sense to address it alongside the pirate faction you planned on adding anyway.

It's pretty awesome either way

Game 3 is probably going to have an Ur-Vampire faction at some point, so getting these guys in will probably help lay the groundwork for whatever Nagash gets.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Anno posted:

It's about on the same level, which is to say a pretty amazingly deep cut.

The Vampirates were always there in lore and had a set of rules published in GW's magazine/catalogue White Dwarf sometime in 2005, marked as 'non-tournament legal, no guarantee of balance'. They never had any models, though the magazine articles had a few pictures of converted models assembled from empire/vc kits.

CA seem to have ported the article wholesale, right down to using those pictures as a reference.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

9 vampire lords

:nallears:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sasgrillo posted:

9 vampire lords

:nallears:

There will be more.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

quote:

Pirate Coves
After a victorious port-settlement battle, Vampire Coast factions may choose a new post-battle option. Instead of taking, sacking or razing the port, the faction may choose to establish a Pirate Cove in the vicinity. These secret sub-settlements can siphon a steady flow of income from the main settlement, and bring other benefits related to any upgrades the player chooses to build in the Cove. The Cove can only be destroyed if the settlement itself is razed. In addition, a competing Vampire Coast faction which conquers the settlement may commandeer the Cove for itself.

Upgradeable Ships and Building Trees
Legendary Lords sail in their own unique ships. Details of these ship are accessed via the Lord in the same fashion as Horde Buildings for Horde Factions, and contain many powerful upgrades for the Lord and his army. This does not make them a standard Horde faction however. Vampire Coast lords may also occupy settlement like any other non-horde faction, and may develop it using the unique new Vampire Coast building tree. In short, they benefit from the best features of both Horde factions and Settled factions.

This is going to be the best faction pack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

There will be more.

Neferata, the vampire queen, has her lair at Silver Pinnacle on the east of the World's Edge Mountains. There's your fourth faction in TW3.