Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A ROULETTE INTO THE QUEUE. ITS PRAETORIUM AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, GAIUS SHADOWELSAR. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME HYDAELYN BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY PILOTED THE REALMS MOST DANGEROUS ROBOT. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. LITERALLY 2 HOURS INCLUDING QUEUE TIME EVERY MORNIng

it means so much to me that you correctly spelled "JEKRS" and "MORNIng"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Primpin and Pimpin posted:

Also, this game is ridiculously pretty and has some amazing set pieces!

:yeah:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
50/60DR is good if you really want more poetics and exhausted all other options for the day. Theoretically, it would also be cool because it has tons of fun dungeons in it that you get to do with more than five skills (looking at you, LLDR).

In reality though, you never get the good 50 or 60 dungeons and instead it's gonna be WP hard with 1-2 people new to the place all the loving time so it takes half an hour and gives you basically nothing.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I've done 56 dr every day since 4.4 dropped because I need lots of mendacity to catch up.

Not a single run was even slightly pleasant.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/9l56ha/ice_mage_dps_numbers/

Rotation 1: ~4,648 dps Blizzard 3, Thunder 3, Blizzard 4, Blizzard 4, Blizzard, Blizzard 4, Blizzard 4, Blizzard 4, Blizzard... Keep Thunder 3 up, cast Thundercloud and Foul when available.

Now this is the content I crave.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Saint Freak posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/9l56ha/ice_mage_dps_numbers/

Rotation 1: ~4,648 dps Blizzard 3, Thunder 3, Blizzard 4, Blizzard 4, Blizzard, Blizzard 4, Blizzard 4, Blizzard 4, Blizzard... Keep Thunder 3 up, cast Thundercloud and Foul when available.

Now this is the content I crave.

What kind of DPS would you expect from an optimal rotation with that kind of gear?

I don't use ACT to look at DPS numbers, I use it to look for people doing stupid rotations, so I honestly have no idea what's "normal"

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
It depends but BLM can upkeep 6k+ easily now days depending on the fight (Suzaku! :argh:)

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Renegret posted:

What kind of DPS would you expect from an optimal rotation with that kind of gear?

I don't use ACT to look at DPS numbers, I use it to look for people doing stupid rotations, so I honestly have no idea what's "normal"

He says in the comments he can hit around 8k on a real rotation, but he's very well geared too.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

been playing MMOs for a couple years now and have never parsed but i've been thinking of installing ACT not so i can see my own DPS but because i want to see everyone else's bad rotations

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Kaubocks posted:

been playing MMOs for a couple years now and have never parsed but i've been thinking of installing ACT not so i can see my own DPS but because i want to see everyone else's bad rotations

This is what pushed me to install it after years of playing. It's actually pretty fun! It's definitely frustrating when you see someone slacking (I caught a BLM dealing 54 dps in the Chrysalis last night), but there's nothing quite like the rush of glancing over at it and realizing you're cranking out more damage than everybody else in the room.

I personally recommend the kagerou overlay skin. Looks nice.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

erectoral collage posted:

No joke, I would love a solo instance in the vein of Alphinaud and Y'shtola where we play as not-Gaius to show us how he survived the Praetorium. Maybe a preview of the rumored gunblade job? :krad:

"I was actually Level 50 at the time. But let's just pretend that I was Level 70 in order to make the story more dramatic."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Edmond Dantes posted:

I have a (n almost) full set of augmented ironworks and been mostly running the 2.x dungeons, so I should be good, gear-wise. My main issue right now is when things start snowballing: someone aggrod something or ate an AoE they shouldn't have, and while I'm scrambling to get them back out of one hit kill range the tank gets bursted and oh god now my cooldowns are down and holy poo poo when did my health get to 22% and oh gently caress I have cards I should use those.

I felt this way when playing Astrologian, and then I played Scholar and everything is easy.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Euro Goons Killed a Giant Robot!

Probably the best Savage fight so far!

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

Kaubocks posted:

Just watch whatever RDMs you get grouped with in exdr. Honestly it seems like I have a 25% chance of getting one spamming jolt or hardcasting verthunder or never hitting scatter for aoe or using scatter on a boss or.....

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rainuwastaken posted:

This is what pushed me to install it after years of playing. It's actually pretty fun! It's definitely frustrating when you see someone slacking (I caught a BLM dealing 54 dps in the Chrysalis last night), but there's nothing quite like the rush of glancing over at it and realizing you're cranking out more damage than everybody else in the room.

I personally recommend the kagerou overlay skin. Looks nice.

I'm kinda afraid to install it, because I'm worried I'll discover that I'm actually even worse that I thought. In WoW I managed to be better than most randoms, but this game has much more complex rotations. It's possible I'm underestimating how bad other players are, though, and that the instructions I read online are only executed properly by people doing high-end content.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I know poking fun at weird pubbie rotations is a thread pastime, but that ice mage thread comes across as real lovely to me.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Relax Or DIE posted:

I know poking fun at weird pubbie rotations is a thread pastime, but that ice mage thread comes across as real lovely to me.

Ice mage spotted

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

My favorite thing about parsing is that maple story 2 has a built in parser, and you can set it to show everyone or just you.

Of all the games to have parsing.

Edmond Dantes posted:

I have a (n almost) full set of augmented ironworks and been mostly running the 2.x dungeons, so I should be good, gear-wise. My main issue right now is when things start snowballing: someone aggrod something or ate an AoE they shouldn't have, and while I'm scrambling to get them back out of one hit kill range the tank gets bursted and oh god now my cooldowns are down and holy poo poo when did my health get to 22% and oh gently caress I have cards I should use those.

I'll get used to it, I just like being dramatic. :v:

Yeah, I recently ran Dakhold with a tank that pulled the entire frog room and I just couldn't heal through the sheer amount of damage he was taking, even with Lightspeed and Largesse on. He used Rampart all of 2 times in the entire dungeon so I don't feel too bad about it, but it was the first time where I felt I was 100% on the ball and still wasn't quite enough.

And don't get me started on Aurum Vale, holy poo poo what a nightmare to heal.

At least SAM's starting gear looks sick. RDM starter is a clow suit. :colbert:

Try to think of healing in terms of what you will do on each GCD. The long GCD in ffxiv means you must plan out your best move instead of just reacting. It’s weird, but a good habit to get into.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Ytlaya posted:

I'm kinda afraid to install it, because I'm worried I'll discover that I'm actually even worse that I thought. In WoW I managed to be better than most randoms, but this game has much more complex rotations. It's possible I'm underestimating how bad other players are, though, and that the instructions I read online are only executed properly by people doing high-end content.

If you just hit something, anything, any time you are able to hit a button you're in the top half of players easy, maybe top quarter.

Like we get a lot of pie charts to mock rotations because they're an easy to display picture, but a lot of people have some real YiKeS uptime if you look at how many buttons they were actually hitting, and that will sink you way faster than even really weird 'wrong' rotations.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Ytlaya posted:

Despite the memes, your average Duty Finder rando is actually fairly alright. I'd wager that most people have a basic idea of what they're supposed to be doing, and they can execute on that concept alright. It's just every now and then you bump into someone who is clearly either watching netflix or completely confused about how their job works. By actually looking up instructions online about how your rotation should go, you've already got a head start on most people. Yeah, XIV players are nerds, but I think it's really easy to overestimate how many people actually go onto forums or look up guides. Most people just kinda do their own thing.

Odds are you'll be fine. If somebody does completely blow you out of the water, don't get disheartened. I had an expert roulette last patch with a summoner who was astonishingly strong, just cranking out more damage than I'd ever seen. But any feelings of inadequacy I felt got washed away pretty quickly the next couple days when I was reminded that oh yeah, half of people forget how to AoE.

Relax Or DIE posted:

I can see how one could see it like that, but I think it's interesting just because it illustrates just how much DPS you lose by not constantly hitting GCDs.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Jose Valasquez posted:

Ice mage spotted

Fire is the coward's element

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

Rainuwastaken posted:

Despite the memes, your average Duty Finder rando is actually fairly alright.

Yeah, most are but I would swear I had a BLM trolling us in Arboretum Hard last night. I couldn't tell how bad his DPS was but he must have died 3 times at least on the last boss, got a platform muddy every time and he blasted a mud ball off the platform once.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Primpin and Pimpin posted:

We most often just walked from Horizon, me on autofollow (or inside the 2 seater moogle once we got our licenses) tabbed out looking at stuff I had questions about. Near the end we opted to do the ferry route since we were just steamrolling quests and more confident with where we were and what we were going to be seeing next.

Also, this game is ridiculously pretty and has some amazing set pieces!

It looks great until you start to zoom in a little :(

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The other eurogoon static has just cleared O9S :toot:

I think I've died every single first clear in this static ;_;

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rainuwastaken posted:

I can see how one could see it like that, but I think it's interesting just because it illustrates just how much DPS you lose by not constantly hitting GCDs.

One impulse I have a hard time with is when I'm doing Ninja and my jutsus are about to come off cooldown, and my brain briefly freezes when faced with the choice of "wait until immediately after I've used my next combo attack so I do the Raiton between button presses" or "immediately do the Fuma Shuriken." While I know that the latter is supposedly better in theory, often times I'll be in a situation where doing Fuma Shuriken would result in me being slightly late with my next GCD combo skill*, so the choice is basically "immediately do Fuma Shuriken and be slightly late with the GCD" or "wait until I've done my next GCD to do Raiton."

In general I probably lose a bit of DPS just due to delaying in using jutsus/cooldowns, since there are often times when it's sort of ambiguous (like if there are a few seconds before Trick Attack comes back up, and I'm not sure whether to wait and use Suiton (delaying the use of a jutsu) or use something else and delay the use of Trick Attack (and the calculus in that case changes depending upon how long I'd be waiting, etc).

* There may be some better way to configure buttons for this, but my jutsus are assigned to shift+1-4 and combo is assigned to 1-4 (well, 5 now that I got the "refresh Huton" thing), so I have to choose between one or the other.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I have my jutsu's on shift + 1-4 and it's just muscle memory to get Fuma's out when they're up. They can't clip (aside from user error) and they're buffed by slashing resistance down, so Raiton is a niche case nowadays.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah the answer to that brain problem is just don't use Raiton

it's a like 1% gain or something, I think? Since Fuma benefits from Dripping Blades and the slashing debuff and raid buffs and what not while Raiton doesn't.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Yeah, but Raiton kinda sounds like Right On, like you're cheering your ninja on for remembering their mudras.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Just loving lol if you don't spam your mudras until it times out just to be noisy.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Throwing out gang signs for the homies who couldn’t be here

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Wait, Ninjutsu isn't a "mash your keys until you're rewarded with a cute bunny hat" button?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Wait, Ninjutsu isn't a "mash your keys until you're rewarded with a cute bunny hat" button?

Mugu Mugu baby.

I have in fact impressed girls with the lagomorph.

They were impressed. Especially when it stayed on my head when I ninja-flipped.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah the answer to that brain problem is just don't use Raiton

it's a like 1% gain or something, I think? Since Fuma benefits from Dripping Blades and the slashing debuff and raid buffs and what not while Raiton doesn't.

Huh, really? I haven't touched Ninja since I got it to 70 but that's really interesting to hear. So Raiton just kinda sucks now?

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

ImpAtom posted:

Huh, really? I haven't touched Ninja since I got it to 70 but that's really interesting to hear. So Raiton just kinda sucks now?

It's better if you're not in melee range and it resets your teleport so it's got uses.

Edit: Also it's maybe better after kassatsu if you've got trick attack active? I always use it there because it's a big number.

Hats Wouldnt Fly fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 4, 2018

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Thinking about the scholar calling their fairy "sweetie" again

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

It's better if you're not in melee range and it resets your teleport so it's got uses.

Yeah, this. In any other situation though the 20 extra potency just isn't worth a GCD clip

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
You basically only use it for Kassatsu + Trick Attack. Any other time is because you were forced to, not because you chose to.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Countblanc posted:

Thinking about the scholar calling their fairy "sweetie" again

Why do you torture me like this

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
For any newcomers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Leal posted:

For any newcomers: