Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
im just glad he finally got to be hulk at the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Peeny Cheez posted:

It's not so much St. Cloud himself, but being pro-St. Cloud and neutral on the moppets at the same time is evidence of a severe personality disorder.
Gathers is not my favorite because he's based on an irredeemable scumbag.

I rarely found the moppets funny but also rarely found them grating, and "you're a bum Rock!" made up for a lot of those grating times

St. Cloud's voice is hilarious and fun to try and imitate, sorry this counts as a diagnosis

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I find myself saying "Eat the pennies quizboy" to myself all the time.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Hey pretty boy, Jocelyn Wildenstein called--she wants her face back!

(Oh my God, this was a bad idea! Cheetah-man is crazy fast, I do not know what I was thinking!)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TK-42-1 posted:

wait what? Hunter S Thompson is a national treasure.

Agreed

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

They could also be referring to Douglas A MacArthur, who is also also a visual inspiration for Hunter Gathers. Also probably has some ideological similarities too

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Mr. Lobe posted:

They could also be referring to Douglas A MacArthur, who is also also a visual inspiration for Hunter Gathers. Also probably has some ideological similarities too

I'm pretty sure that in the book, they explicitly say that Gathers is a pastiche of Hunter Thompson.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

WrathOfBlade posted:

I love Treister based solely on Toby Huss knocking every single one of his line readings out of the park.

"I want answers by the time I finish this ja-hyuice box! Warning, I am t'irsty, and it is fruit punch and it is delicious!"

This is probably my favorite line in the entire series, which is hidden in an otherwise kinda whatever episode.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

WrathOfBlade posted:

I love Treister based solely on Toby Huss knocking every single one of his line readings out of the park.

"I want answers by the time I finish this ja-hyuice box! Warning, I am t'irsty, and it is fruit punch and it is delicious!"

I feel the same way about Red Dragoon, their lines are funny on their own but it's the delivery that really knocks it out of the park. I still giggle just thinking about the way he pronounces the whacky races

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Lobe posted:

oh no, douglas macarthur was a giant narcissist piece of poo poo. the only visual links between him and hunter gathers are long smoking thing, sunglasses, and peaked-cap military garb, and hunter thompson (also kind of a piece of poo poo but in a lovable way) covers two of those three by himself. any resemblance between macarthur and gathers is a coincidence in my opinion

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

pablo gbscobar posted:

I feel the same way about Red Dragoon, their lines are funny on their own but it's the delivery that really knocks it out of the park. I still giggle just thinking about the way he pronounces the whacky races

"Two heads are better than one!" is my favorite line in the entire series

also, RE: Thompson being Gathers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHeSC_Ws5Ic

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

tarlibone posted:

I'm pretty sure that in the book, they explicitly say that Gathers is a pastiche of Hunter Thompson.

Yeah there's no way this is a coincidence

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

420 Gank Mid posted:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
por que no los dos

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

moist turtleneck posted:

por que no los dos

i guess it's possible except douglas macarthur just isn't funny or a good fit for the ventureverse

if we're talking about glasses, hats, and smoking implements, all three men fit that bill except two of them are named hunter

e: really the only thing i can see is the pointy-hat OSI costume is modeled on the famous macarthur photo. big beautiful tits hunter, less so

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 4, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I think my favorite red dragon line is "he simply refused to attend when I told him it was a magic gathering" "YES, I find those trading card games very confusing".

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

por que no los dos

its absolutely both

luxury handset posted:

i guess it's possible except douglas macarthur just isn't funny or a good fit for the ventureverse

if we're talking about glasses, hats, and smoking implements, all three men fit that bill except two of them are named hunter

e: really the only thing i can see is the pointy-hat OSI costume is modeled on the famous macarthur photo. big beautiful tits hunter, less so

they're both flamboyantly insane warhawks who see war as a sport and play to win

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

In addition to those two, he's also Nick Fury.

You know, the white one from the comics, not Sam Jackson's version.

e: Come to think of it, Hunter was created before the Marvel movies were even a thing.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

The cigarette holder is the only thing there in either of those photos that matches Col Gathers. The hats and glasses are all wrong

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hey, check out what I saw in the background of the latest Sunny episode:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

420 Gank Mid posted:

Here even more so

Its definitely both, you guys. Venture bros often mixes metaphors or layers references. He's Hunter S. Thompson's personality mixed with the position/authority/military of MacArthur.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 5, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Imagine getting pissed about not getting references without looking at it as a learning opportunity.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think my favorite red dragon line is "he simply refused to attend when I told him it was a magic gathering" "YES, I find those trading card games very confusing".

"So its OK when you people do it?"

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Hey, check out what I saw in the background of the latest Sunny episode:

That poster also showed up in an episode of The Grinder.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

pablo gbscobar posted:

Seriously who'd hate those two guys?

Aside from the Moppets none of the shows characters have bothered me that much.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Here even more so

Its definitely both, you guys. Venture bros often mixes metaphors or layers references. He's Hunter S. Thompson's personality mixed with the position/authority/military of MacArthur.

It's not both, and any similarities are a coincidence.

Jackson Public clearly states this. The character started life as a "tough-love, grizzled older spy" who would mentor Brock. At first, he was more like Nick Fury, but later,

"I forget what Hunter's original name was going to be, but at some point I hit on him being Hunter S. Thompson, because I love Hunter S. Thompson, particularly Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Johnny Depp's portrayal of him. Since he looks like Thompson, he's got the same size and build as Dr. Venture, meaning Brock has spent his whole life getting yelled at by these skinny, agitated little guys."

The reason he has the military similarity to MacArthur is because Hunter is sort-of in the military, and has a high pay grade. He looks like literally every single skinny old man general who has ever skinny old man generalled. MacArthur had a pipe, not a cigarette holder.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

"Why didn't anyone tell me we could just hologram in?"

I love those guys as well, props to Billy for doing such an amazing job with the surgery

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

tarlibone posted:

It's not both, and any similarities are a coincidence.

Jackson Public clearly states this. The character started life as a "tough-love, grizzled older spy" who would mentor Brock. At first, he was more like Nick Fury, but later,

"I forget what Hunter's original name was going to be, but at some point I hit on him being Hunter S. Thompson, because I love Hunter S. Thompson, particularly Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Johnny Depp's portrayal of him. Since he looks like Thompson, he's got the same size and build as Dr. Venture, meaning Brock has spent his whole life getting yelled at by these skinny, agitated little guys."

The reason he has the military similarity to MacArthur is because Hunter is sort-of in the military, and has a high pay grade. He looks like literally every single skinny old man general who has ever skinny old man generalled. MacArthur had a pipe, not a cigarette holder.

wow

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The best Dragoon/Red Mantle moment is heckling the funeral.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
See! We don't even vote the same

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

He's Hunter S. Thompson's personality mixed with the position/authority/military of MacArthur.

he doesn't have macarthur's personality though. macarthur was a vain, self important gloryhound who definitely would not be doing any secret spy poo poo himself. macarthur was a terrible leader and had to be fired by president truman for being an old dumbfuck who wanted to start a nuclear war. he had no chill and all of his intensity was bad weird, not cool weird. the similarity between the men ends with that specific costume

e: even the speech cadence is way off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tuagi9kZe8A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvpPosKe-I0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaW4CJj_UPc

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 5, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Of course, and I didn't say he had Thompson's personality, did I? Look at what you quoted. So I guess you're just agreeing with me actually?

Gathers is based on Thompson, but then they utilized the aesthetic of MacArthur in order to communicate things quickly about where Gathers was in OSI. No, he doesn't have MacArthur's personality. Yes, the look is a reference to MacArthur.

Jeeze guys.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Of course, and I didn't say he had Thompson's personality, did I? Look at what you quoted. So I guess you're just agreeing with me actually?

Gathers is based on Thompson, but then they utilized the aesthetic of MacArthur in order to communicate things quickly about where Gathers was in OSI. No, he doesn't have MacArthur's personality. Yes, the look is a reference to MacArthur.

Jeeze guys.

i also said that? :shrug:

luxury handset posted:

violent agreement itt, and also another chance for me to dump on macarthur because he was a stain of a man who should have retired in the 1930s after the bonus army riot

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

TOO SOON!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
My favorite Dragoon line read is still the "I was accidentally creating Hip-Hop"

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Guys, publick has already said hunter gathers is based on johnny depp

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Dragoon must have been like a Juggernaught in power level. We've seen almost everyone that Phantom Limb touches dies instantly, but Dragoon takes that full on multiple times. His body is messed up, but he didn't die instantly. The only character that straight up survived was the Sovereign.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Dragonstoned posted:

"Why didn't anyone tell me we could just hologram in?"

I love those guys as well, props to Billy for doing such an amazing job with the surgery
"rear end TO rear end!"

Vitamin Boss
Oct 23, 2006
Burn it to the ground

PostNouveau posted:

"Boggles always said he would have the last laugh..."

"He was always wrong!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Dragoon must have been like a Juggernaught in power level. We've seen almost everyone that Phantom Limb touches dies instantly, but Dragoon takes that full on multiple times. His body is messed up, but he didn't die instantly. The only character that straight up survived was the Sovereign.

Which is weird cos they retconned the Sovereign as some Z Grade shapeshifter loser.