Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Learnin' a lot about PNW tacos today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

If you want relatively cheap Mexican food in the Seattle area at least go to El Rinconsito.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Spergin Morlock posted:

If you want relatively cheap Mexican food in the Seattle area at least go to El Rinconsito.

The al pastor tacos are my faves.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Spergin Morlock posted:

Yea these are where I go, they have a bunch of em

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

seiferguy posted:

Learnin' a lot about PNW tacos today.

Well you’re in for a surprise, because what taco time calls a taco is actually a burrito. I am not joking.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
No one goes to Taco Time because they want an authentic Mexican food experience, except for maybe that Francisco guy from the sad story a few posts back.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Taco Time is way better than Taco Bell. Both are bad for you but scratch a certain junk food itch. Neither one should be thought of or compared to Mexican food; they are just american comfort food made with beans, cheese, and sometimes something vaguely resembling taco sauce.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

therobit posted:

Taco Time is way better than Taco Bell. Both are bad for you but scratch a certain junk food itch. Neither one should be thought of or compared to Mexican food; they are just american comfort food made with beans, cheese, and sometimes something vaguely resembling taco sauce.

But how can you build a business blatantly making burritos and insanely call them tacos? Also what is “taco sauce”?

I can’t even.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
One of the Mexican food gems in Portland:

https://goo.gl/maps/7aQ8RgCmU9L2

Their puerco con nopales is amazing

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Jack In The Box Tacos are the best tacos.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Make your own drat tacos, it isn't hard.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Jack In The Box Tacos are the best tacos.

I ate one once out of curiosity. Not sure if it's supposed to be this way or just a lazy kitchen worker but the fact that they were drizzled in ketchup was pretty astounding. Never again.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

xrunner posted:

I ate one once out of curiosity. Not sure if it's supposed to be this way or just a lazy kitchen worker but the fact that they were drizzled in ketchup was pretty astounding. Never again.

Must’ve been the fabled “taco sauce”.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I like that they just slam a square of American cheese in there with the end just flopping out. No diced tomatoes either, just a slice from a burger crammed in there.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

ElCondemn posted:

But how can you build a business blatantly making burritos and insanely call them tacos? Also what is “taco sauce”?

I can’t even.

I think what you have going on here is the same sort of cultural revulsion I felt as an american going to Japan and being served corn mayo pizza. Since it is not suited to your tastes and will never seem right to you, you are probably always gonna just think it's gross. And you are probably right to think that.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

El Rinconcito is good Mexican fast food.
Taco Time is solid and fairly tasty ultra Americanized fast food.
Taco Bell is garbage trash for idiots.

hth

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Taco Bell is your stoner friend that makes annoying stunt food they saw on YouTube, while Taco Time is basically Ray's SaniTaco cart from Achewood

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

DoombatINC posted:

Taco Bell is your stoner friend that makes annoying stunt food they saw on YouTube, while Taco Time is basically Ray's SaniTaco cart from Achewood
Do you mean Ray's SaniTaco concept, or the rest of that arc?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

I mean conceptually, not as a vector for lady butt stories :v:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I like how taco time seems to employ a lot of older folks. They always have good service and it’s clean. Also: the ice they use is the best ice.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
There's a dive bar by me that does 2 tacos for 99 cents on taco Tuesdays and it owns.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I like how taco time seems to employ a lot of older folks. They always have good service and it’s clean. Also: the ice they use is the best ice.

Every time I drive by I look in and see the place stuffed to the gills with old white people. I suspect there's some kind of secret "taco sauce" they've concocted that lures them there. It's their dark secret.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
This thread reminded me of the Mexican place in town that closed a few years ago. I dearly loved how their menu said down at the bottom: "We're happy to help you celebrate events like weddings, birthdays, divorces. Ask your server. Compliments of the house."

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Now I'm craving El Rinconsito for lunch

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
A lot of the confusion in this thread is because Taco Time is trash garbage whereas Taco Time NW is pretty solid fast food, basically the "Mexican" equivalent of Panda Express.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Isn't "Taco Sauce" just ketchup and cholula mixed together?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

George posted:

A lot of the confusion in this thread is because Taco Time is trash garbage whereas Taco Time NW is pretty solid fast food, basically the "Mexican" equivalent of Panda Express.

What does it feel like to be so wrong?

busydelicious
Jan 5, 2009

they call it chivalry
never pull a punch for free
Don Pedro's in Portland is pretty amazing, too. I find it rides that fine line between drive-thru and sit-in dining quite well.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
taco time and taco bell are both not very good and there are enough taco places that you never need to eat there unless you live out in the middle of nowhere

muchas gracias in vancouver is better than both and its a drive through, there's literally zillions of taco trucks all over the place that are better than taco belltime also. basically if you live anywhere even slightly populated and you like tacos there is almost no reason to go to one of those chains

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Imagine four tacos on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the taco nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of tacos and takes the place of the first taco. The formerly first taco becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.

Taco Time works the same way.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Spergin Morlock posted:

Now I'm craving El Rinconsito for lunch

I just got back from El Rinconsito for lunch. Had some Taquitos Rancheros. The one in Burien is just a mile away from my workplace and this thread inspired me to get some. It was good. Also they remodeled. Looked nice.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

busydelicious posted:

Don Pedro's in Portland is pretty amazing, too. I find it rides that fine line between drive-thru and sit-in dining quite well.

Their Vancouver location is the best, but I hit up the SE 82nd location more than I probably should. I lived 3 blocks from a Muchas Gracias for a couple years in college, and while I regret nothing, I’m probably never going to one again.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I actually like Taco Time a lot but it was one of the only fast food places where I spent most of my childhood so that probably has an impact.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Reene posted:

I actually like Taco Time a lot but it was one of the only fast food places where I spent most of my childhood so that probably has an impact.

Yo same, plus I think the Pat Cashman ads built up a lifetime of good will for me

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I like California Burrito on 99 because I'm trash and their rice speaks to me on my level. Otoh there's at least 1 arrest right outside their building everytime I'm there so that's probably bad.

To bring this back to Taco Time, when I lived on the OR/WA border as a kid we'd cross the toll bridge to Hood River and stop at the Taco Time there whenever my mom would take me to see my dad in Seattle/my dad would bring me home from a visit. Taco Time is basically associated with summer visits and the two times my dad got arrested for a DUI with me in the car.

Tulalip Tulips fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 4, 2018

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Reene posted:

The good Taco Times (NW) don't have the "taco sauce". Its pretty obvious we're talking about very different things.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

anthonypants posted:

Imagine four tacos on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the taco nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of tacos and takes the place of the first taco. The formerly first taco becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.

Taco Time works the same way.

I knew it. Johnny Five Tacos.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RuanGacho posted:

The good Taco Times (NW) don't have the "taco sauce". Its pretty obvious we're talking about very different things.
Give the rest of us an example of the difference between a Taco Time and a Taco Time NW

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

anthonypants posted:

Give the rest of us an example of the difference between a Taco Time and a Taco Time NW

The superior Taco Time NW is giving away free tacos today and the inferior Taco Time isn’t.

Also their menus are entirely different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

They each have comparable menus that almost kind of line up with each other, which makes sense since they were the same company at one point, but Taco Time went more in the "Cheddar Blasted Peso Taco with South of the Border Sauce, and a Deep Fried Beef Burrito on the side" direction, while Taco Time NW took a more "Locally Sourced Free Range Chicken Taco on Five Grain Tortilla, and a Deep Fried Beef Burrito on the side" approach