Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
even better if Jimmy being the used car salesman of lawyers is precisely what puts the mercedez dealership that is HHM out of business

Howard briefly tries to counter it by hee hawing it up with a cowboy hat but you can see in his overly produced commercials that his heart isn't in it

he's insincere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't want Werner to get killed purely because it's the most absolutely predictable way to end that plot now.

On the season finale of Better Call Saul: MIKE KILLS WERNER :geno:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

he's not going to kill werner

he's going to take a half measure and gus will go "is that the answer your going with" :geno:

and mike's gonna go "yeah" :geno:

and then mike will learn a valuable lesson either because he kept his humanity or because werner screws up some more and he regrets it

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Howard transitions and becomes Wendy.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Despair posted:

They actually face a fate worse than death: being forced to work in Gus' fast food restaurants for life at minimum wage, never to be heard from again.

Now I'm just picturing Jesse's cooking montage where he's chained to the ceiling.. except with Germans making chicken

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FlamingLiberal posted:

They’re not going to kill all the Germans. Werner already said that he believes they can finish without him. But Werner is super dead.

If all the Germans die this season, my money is on the Cartel, not Gus.

If the Cartel does in fact show up and murder all the workers it'd explain why Mike is so happy to put bullets in all their heads later.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I can actually imagine Howard feeling so guilty that he pulls strings to help get Jimmy reinstated. Then Jimmy going full Saul is the last nail in the coffin of the firm's reputation.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lol the reason the laser was on the ground was because the cartel saw him coming down the ladder and went "neat!" and swooped him up

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Aw man, I don't want the next episode to open with Werner tied up at Nacho's house.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Aw man, I don't want the next episode to open with Werner tied up at Nacho's house.

well now you know he's not gonna die

nacho and mike will come up with some goldberg contraption to cut him loose without appearing like it was them and then Lalo will go "JUST LET HIM GO MY HOMBRES"

also there will be a gratuitous scene where nacho's hos seduce werner and give him a crisis not to mention he's worried nacho will be mad but nacho isnt even mad

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 4, 2018

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cojawfee posted:

I doubt he will be. Chef Salamanca's house, though.. that might be a thing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just caught up. I really don't see what someone that hasn't watched BB is getting from the Superlab plot. Hell, I've seen it and I don't care at all about Gus and Mike anymore. It's starting to actively annoy me when all I want to see is more of the actually entertaining and unknown aspects of the show. Jimmy/Kim and Nacho/Lalo should have been the major focus and all this "wink wink nudge nudge" bullshit from BB they're throwing in is bringing nothing to the table.

I rolled my eyes at the bell poo poo. For fucks sake, just be your own show again.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

we still need to find out how Tuco got those scars

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Blazing Ownager posted:

I can see why a nervous German engineer would think the same thing people in this thread have, but anyone who has watched Fring for this long should know that kind of poo poo is NOT his style. Walt took Fring out because Walt would be considering this. Not Gus and certainly not Mike; Mike hasn't even killed anyone for Gus yet, he's not going to start by executing a bunch of innocent civilians.

Gus potentially ordered the death of a child, he casually slit the throat of one of his long-time lieutenants for making a mistake, and he credibly threatened to murder Walt's entire family if he crossed him. I don't know where people get this idea Gus isn't a psychopath. He tries to motivate people with positive incentives simply because he's intelligent and he knows that it's often more effective than other methods. That doesn't mean he would hesitate for even one instant to use those other methods if it became necessary to do so. Gus is completely amoral and focused singlemindedly on his one objective of getting revenge against the Salamancas and the Cartel. He'll do literally anything, no matter how sick or depraved, to achieve that objective.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Just caught up. I really don't see what someone that hasn't watched BB is getting from the Superlab plot. Hell, I've seen it and I don't care at all about Gus and Mike anymore. It's starting to actively annoy me when all I want to see is more of the actually entertaining and unknown aspects of the show. Jimmy/Kim and Nacho/Lalo should have been the major focus and all this "wink wink nudge nudge" bullshit from BB they're throwing in is bringing nothing to the table.

I rolled my eyes at the bell poo poo. For fucks sake, just be your own show again.

I still don't get this argument. You might as well say "Why are they showing all this jimmy mcgill stuff? We already know he becomes Saul Goodman." Gus is working towards becoming independent from the Cartel. Someone who hasn't seen BB probably won't understand what it is right now, but it's clearly something useful for Gus. Eventually they will reveal that it is the superlab.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Dr. Despair posted:

They actually face a fate worse than death: being forced to work in Gus' fast food restaurants for life at minimum wage, never to be heard from again.

Hey, if the chicken is as good as everyone says it is, how bad could that existence be? You're clothed, housed, fed quality junk food - and it's not like your German-diet-rasied body will live super long on Gus' slice of American cuisine anyway. No electric scooter for you!

Songbearer posted:

Mike's going to use his old PI trick of creating a holodeck to release the unsuspecting German contractors into, locking them in a full simulation of the world as it stands. Prost

PI trick my rear end. He learned that from watching Star Trek: Insurrection.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I still don't get this argument. You might as well say "Why are they showing all this jimmy mcgill stuff? We already know he becomes Saul Goodman." Gus is working towards becoming independent from the Cartel. Someone who hasn't seen BB probably won't understand what it is right now, but it's clearly something useful for Gus. Eventually they will reveal that it is the superlab.

Nah, the argument isn't "we know what happens! This is a waste!" The argument is "this doesn't stand on it's own and isn't entertaining."

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Blazing Ownager posted:

If all the Germans die this season, my money is on the Cartel, not Gus.

If the Cartel does in fact show up and murder all the workers it'd explain why Mike is so happy to put bullets in all their heads later.

I can't imagine a scenario where the cartel finds out about the workers but still doesn't know about Gus' secret lair. I'm assuming if they knew he was spinning up an operation to completely replace them in the meth game they'd raze it to the ground at a minimum, and they all seemed pretty surprised in BB when the poo poo hit the fan.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I’ve said it before but the problem is that Gus isn’t really a villain on this show. On BB he’s like a force of nature, but on BCS he’s just kinda...there.

For a good 5 episodes now, Nacho and Mike’s stories have just been setting up pieces without really making the stakes compelling, or even all that clear. Whereas the Jimmy story has been banger after banger all season long.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Am I the only one whose immersion was totally ruined by the demolition experts who did note use any stemming when they tried to blow up the "wiedersehen" rock?

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Yes

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

withak posted:

Am I the only one whose immersion was totally ruined by the demolition experts who did note use any stemming when they tried to blow up the "wiedersehen" rock?

I don't know what that means

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Apparently it's when you jam some crap in the drill holes after the explosives to keep the energy in the rock.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kai and the other miners are probably safe, I don't know why people are saying Mike will have to kill them. The whole plot twist with that thing is that Mike kept eyeing Kai as being a troublemaker, but it turns out he's actually reliable and likes/respects Mike. It's old businesslike charming Werner who broke under the pressure.

precision posted:

I don't want Werner to get killed purely because it's the most absolutely predictable way to end that plot now.

On the season finale of Better Call Saul: MIKE KILLS WERNER :geno:
I mean, Mike kind of has to kill Werner now. That's the necessary consequence of what happened here. Mike vouched for Werner, he was wrong, he needs to clean up his mess. This is what he has to do. Or I'm sure that's how Gus will see it, and Mike knows it.

That's not to say something totally out there might save Werner. There are many potential plot twists that could prevent the seemingly inevitable from happening. But this isn't an issue of "predictable plots" or anything.

That's like saying when Chuck knocked over his lamp it'd be too predictable a plot for Chuck to then die in a fire. That's not plot progression, it's the direct consequence of an action.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:jp: Go Land Crabs :jp:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That whole scene was weird because Jimmy always sounds corny but not in that strangely bad way. I think it was meant to show how totally nervous he was, I guess? But it was like he had backslid hard from being the guy who schooled the skater kids.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Aside from nerding out about some case he read about, it all seemed fine until he got to the last question. She asked if there was any inspiration, clearly fishing for a Chuck reference. Then he says University of American Samoa. It would have been better to say almost anything else. Being proud of the correspondence course he took sounded really fake.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
The switcheroo on the blueprints was too drat similar to the switcheroo on the addresses. I think Kim takes the fall for both incidents and HHM picks Mesa Verde back up. Haven't seen the preview though so I don't know the specifics of why we are speculating on HHM.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

precision posted:

That whole scene was weird because Jimmy always sounds corny but not in that strangely bad way. I think it was meant to show how totally nervous he was, I guess? But it was like he had backslid hard from being the guy who schooled the skater kids.

I think Jimmy is so unbelievably shaken from Chuck's death and he's just not showing it. He probably knew they wanted him to talk about Chuck too. He just hasn't done it with anyone yet and he's certainly not gonna do it with a random parole board.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's if anyone finds out. The address switch was a sabotage and the guy who got sabotaged was obsessive about getting the address right. This is about just getting something approved that probably would have been approved anyway, just at a later date. Unless someone in that office had memorized the plans and then goes back and checks, no one will find out.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Gus / Mike doesn't need to kill the Germans because they don't actually know why they are building a secret underground basement below a laundry facility. Werner might be a dead man simply for risking so much with the plan though.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Cojawfee posted:

That's if anyone finds out. The address switch was a sabotage and the guy who got sabotaged was obsessive about getting the address right. This is about just getting something approved that probably would have been approved anyway, just at a later date. Unless someone in that office had memorized the plans and then goes back and checks, no one will find out.

Yeah but it wasn't Chuck that first saw the error because Jimmy covered for that possibility. It was someone else just doing their job reviewing the documents. If anyone has looked at the previous plans and the new ones besides the hookwinked clerk they could spot the change. Mesa Verde themselves may start asking uncomfortable questions because Kim already told them the revised design would not happen. If they ask how she did it, she can't tell her client the truth.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

precision posted:

One of the things that's interesting about Jimmy is his flair for code-switching: if he knows what people are looking for, he can hang in a lovely Chicago dive bar or a fancy Albuquerque hotel, and he's equally comfortable selling phones to biker gangs or running bingo games at a retirement home or working on Sandpiper at Davis & Main.

Where he tends to struggle is if he isn't sure what people want. The first time he encounters the kids, they dismiss him as a cop, so he changes it up to make sure he sends off the right signals. The second time, he doesn't appreciate the threat they present, which gets him rolled. It's not until he's paying attention that he manages to school them -- and that really comes down to understanding what they want well enough he's able to manipulate them into a trap.

It's not so much that he's backslid, it's just that his issues with Chuck make it hard for him to recognize what they really want. He would probably be happy to hang them upside-down and threaten them or run an elaborate con on them if he could get away with it, and I'd expect his appeal to go very differently now that he's got some perspective on the issue.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cojawfee posted:

Aside from nerding out about some case he read about, it all seemed fine until he got to the last question. She asked if there was any inspiration, clearly fishing for a Chuck reference. Then he says University of American Samoa. It would have been better to say almost anything else. Being proud of the correspondence course he took sounded really fake.

UAS was Jimmy’s lifeline.

His delivery was poor but he is grateful for them and it’s understandable.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh I was talking about the skater kids that tried to con him with the "you hit me with your car!" scam but that works too

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I like Lalo. He has an aura of friendly menace to him that we haven't seen out of anyone in the Breaking Bad universe. Gus doesn't count because his friendliness is professional and humble while Lalo's is incredibly casual and overly familiar.
Also come on you know he's gonna do something cool next week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq718LOTLyg

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Platystemon posted:

UAS was Jimmy’s lifeline.

His delivery was poor but he is grateful for them and it’s understandable.

I mean maybe there's a bit of that there, but it's the worst thing he could have said there. Acknowledging it during the review and owning that it was a correspondence course is good, but saying it had a big impact or influence on your life is a real bad choice, even if it may be true in Jimmy's case.

I think that's the bitter irony of it, there was some B.S. in there but there was some actual sincerity, and talking about UAS could very well have been his sincere feelings. And as Jimmy rightly brings up, talking about how Chuck was this grand positive influence on his life would be outright lying. But it's the lie that they expect him to tell and he doesn't, and it's the few times he expressed what might have been his true thoughts and feelings that might have tripped him up.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

precision posted:

Oh I was talking about the skater kids that tried to con him with the "you hit me with your car!" scam but that works too

Ah, my bad.

Although that comparison highlights another interesting aspect of Jimmy: if you give him someone who's greedy or selfish, he understands that extremely well. But the review board isn't trying to scam him -- they genuinely want to make sure he's fit to be reinstated, and that can throw him (consider his accusations toward Kim, or how much trouble he has figuring out why Walt won't just send Jesse to Belize).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It did strike me as an odd thing to say that your lovely correspondence school was what inspired you. That's like saying you were inspired by a hammer, or a Tandy 1000EX. It might be a weird cool sort of thing you'd read in Be Here Now but struck me as a strange thing to say to a law board. A joke about Scotch and Adderall would have made more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

precision posted:

It did strike me as an odd thing to say that your lovely correspondence school was what inspired you. That's like saying you were inspired by a hammer, or a Tandy 1000EX. It might be a weird cool sort of thing you'd read in Be Here Now but struck me as a strange thing to say to a law board. A joke about Scotch and Adderall would have made more sense.

I think it's an unreasonable question in the first place. It's the classic "Why do you want to work here?". I guarantee you most lawyers would answer for the paycheck, as would most people in their every day careers. We don't all get to work the jobs we're most passionate about and it's kind of silly to expect every lawyer to give a rousing answer.

At the end of the day it's a TV show and writers have to progress the story. I think they put that question in there to show how Jimmy either wasn't sincere about the law or that he was and just isn't ready to talk about Chuck yet.