Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Anidav posted:

ReachTel is currently predicting Labor ahead of Phelps, 52% of Phelps supporters said decision to preference LNP ahead of Labor made them less likely to vote for her.

So...52% of Phelps supporters don't know they can allocate preferences however they choose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Ah poo poo, the country with the prime minister who loves and adores and promises emulation of America has a Chinese government supported person angling for a seat I forgot the name of mid post

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The Peccadillo posted:

Ah poo poo, the country with the prime minister who loves and adores and promises emulation of America has a Chinese government supported person angling for a seat I forgot the name of mid post

Hobart City Council.
It's a much of a muchness thing, the key thing here being Greens infighting over Wypipo "UR RACIST" vs "NUH UH, I AM NOT"

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Facebook keeps serving me ads for Victorian State Liberal MPs or Candidates for some reason, probably because the interns can't use the advertising tools properly.

Anyway holy poo poo they are all talking about black people. What a horrible state election you guys are about to have.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

That's our ABC

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

That's our ABC

Fuuuuuuuck

Was that opinion piece done by some arsehole from the IPA?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Anthony Dillon is a post-doctoral fellow at the Institute for Positive Psychology and Education at Australian Catholic University. :angel:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

He is also Indigenous

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Anidav posted:

Facebook keeps serving me ads for Victorian State Liberal MPs or Candidates for some reason, probably because the interns can't use the advertising tools properly.

Anyway holy poo poo they are all talking about black people. What a horrible state election you guys are about to have.

They probably put their bits on newscorpse and think you read and swallow that trash (little do they know you produce it)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/quaedvliegs/status/1047119838752034816

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
https://twitter.com/jason_a_w/status/1047972192405708801?s=21

If there’s one thing Australian universally love, it’s foreigners telling them about Australia.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I dunno, I've been enjoying reading about Tony Abbott's new envoy role:

https://betootaadvocate.com/advocate-in-focus/tony-abbott-stopped-by-police-for-absolutely-no-reason-whatsoever-for-the-first-time/

https://betootaadvocate.com/advocate-in-focus/twiggy-forrest-presents-tony-abbott-with-his-very-own-welfare-quarantine-basic-card/

Axel Ferguson
Apr 19, 2008

DRINK ME posted:

If there’s one thing Australian universally love, it’s foreigners telling them about Australia.

Ironically or unironically?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Australia, the last bastion of free speech? Guess Bolt didn’t tell him all about that pesky 18C.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

From 2021, three-year-olds will get access to 600 hours of subsidised preschool, at a cost of $1.75bn over the forward estimates. The scheme, which will cost $9.8bn over ten years, would see the existing 15 hours a week of subsidised preschool for four-year-olds extended to three-year-olds under a Shorten government.

Mr Shorten Labor would pay for the promise with changes to negative gearing and the capital gains tax.

The Opposition Leader pointed to Australia’s poor performance in international education rankings.

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2018/10/labors-negative-gearing-savings-fund-pre-schools/

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

This is true though???

If there's more to this (like taking big donations from a Chinese state owned enterprise) it may be a legitimate line of criticism, but if the main thrust of your argument about nefarious Chinese interference is 'she said Chinese people should vote for her' I'm inclined to believe you're racist dogwhistling.

It's kind of lovely and racist to say 'this country is run by white people, I am not white, vote for me'. Seriously, give a better reason for people to vote for you other than 'you're Chinese, I'm Chinese, vote Chinese'.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=488587507

Didn't he have a chance and totally snub a bunch of important NT indigenous stakeholders? Also, didn't he have a chance as 'Minister for Indigenous Affairs' when he was PM and balls that up too?

Been speaking to some people about this, and the general consensus is they're going to need a lot more properly trained Early Childhood Teachers, because if people are going to send their 3 year olds off to preschool they better not be getting taught by a primary school teacher, or a school that is going to try and push formal schooling onto such young children. You already get schools trying to push formal schooling on 4 year olds and it is ridiculous. Playbased learning needs to go up to 7 year olds, not the other way around and get pushed down.

Honestly, the government needs to enforce standards where qualified teachers teach the subjects and year levels they are rigorously trained for. Primary school teachers teaching ATAR subjects and English teachers struggling through Math and IT courses with the schools going 'they're doing a good job', and they're really just not doing the best.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Konomex posted:

Been speaking to some people about this, and the general consensus is they're going to need a lot more properly trained Early Childhood Teachers, because if people are going to send their 3 year olds off to preschool they better not be getting taught by a primary school teacher, or a school that is going to try and push formal schooling onto such young children.

There seems to be some recognition of this (Labor promises to axe upfront fees for 10,000 early childhood education TAFE students) although I have no idea if it's sufficient.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Konomex posted:

It's kind of lovely and racist to say 'this country is run by white people, I am not white, vote for me'. Seriously, give a better reason for people to vote for you other than 'you're Chinese, I'm Chinese, vote Chinese'.

No it isn't lovely or racist you loving idiot, the reason that 'you're Chinese, I'm Chinese, vote Chinese' works is because Chinese-Australians aren't represented by the lily white racists that make up the current Govt

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

bell jar posted:

He is also Indigenous
More like dis-indigenous.

I've been reading a bunch of non-fiction lately that has indirectly highlighted areas of indigenous affairs. My absolute fav were the Australian troop in the NT who categorically stated that they would have perished without the assistance of the native guides. They were quick to ensure none of them were promoted to NCO roles, given equal pay and benefits, or indeed access to white only facilities...

Culture Wars!

Some Murdoch Rag posted:

THE state government is desperately working to broker a historic deal with the iconic Sydney Opera House to project a major light show on its sails for an international promotion of The Everest.

The light show, pitched to run for an hour on Tuesday night, has been designed alongside the company behind the renowned Vivid festival and would coincide with the barrier draw for the world’s richest turf race.

However, the plan was still at risk of falling at the final hurdle last night amid painstaking negotiations, with Opera House management resisting the idea of using the world-famous sails to promote racing, despite government officials proposed the concept to Racing NSW.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Konomex posted:

It's kind of lovely and racist to say 'this country is run by white people, I am not white, vote for me'.

It's kind of lovely and racist for a country to be run entirely by white people who haven't experienced a shred of discrimination or tried to understand minority issues at all in their lives.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

A licence to scrunt

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
https://twitter.com/craigreucassel/status/1047974763396653056

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Apex gang got me. Someone spent $150 at Culture Kings on my old bank account while I was in Greece savouring the birthplace of glorious western culture. I have informed Uncle Tony X.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Aesculus posted:

It's kind of lovely and racist for a country to be run entirely by white people who haven't experienced a shred of discrimination or tried to understand minority issues at all in their lives.

I don't think anyone is arguing that greater racial representation in Parliament is bad, just that "I'm X race, you're X race, therefore you should vote for me" is lovely reasoning. If a white candidate ran against a non-white candidate and said "vote for me because I'm white", the thread would (rightfully) be up in arms.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Whitlam posted:

I don't think anyone is arguing that greater racial representation in Parliament is bad, just that "I'm X race, you're X race, therefore you should vote for me" is lovely reasoning. If a white candidate ran against a non-white candidate and said "vote for me because I'm white", the thread would (rightfully) be up in arms.

Think about what the difference is to say to a population who is underrepresented in Parliament "I am like you, vote for me to give you representation" compared to saying to a population who is over represented "I am like you, vote for me to maintain our hegemony of exclusion". Come on Whitlam.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Joke is bad because he choose the best internet plan. Instead of dealing with his poo poo landline, he bought a mobile plan and blew through his data cap because he isn't paying for it.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Whitlam posted:

lol your understanding of nuance is impeccable as always

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

Apex gang got me. Someone spent $150 at Culture Kings on my old bank account while I was in Greece savouring the birthplace of glorious western culture. I have informed Uncle Tony X.

That was me, thanks for the new kicks

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

hooman posted:

Think about what the difference is to say to a population who is underrepresented in Parliament "I am like you, vote for me to give you representation" compared to saying to a population who is over represented "I am like you, vote for me to maintain our hegemony of exclusion". Come on Whitlam.

You're right that it's a somewhat disingenuous analogy so I'll withdraw it, but there's still an underlying principle that voting for someone solely on the basis of X characteristic is dumb. I wouldn't vote for a poo poo female candidate on the basis of I'm a woman and I think we need more in Parliament. If your primary (or only) reason for voting for someone is some characteristic that's out of their control and isn't policy-related, fine, vote how you want, but good luck convincing others that they're anything more than a token.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Whitlam posted:

whitlam, upon reading a blatant fairfax anti-greens hitpiece about tram stops being delayed so they can be redesigned to include cyclists as well as disabled people after the plans were rushed and didn't meet the original spec: WHY dO YOU HATE DISABLED PEOPLE

whitlam, when an ethnic minority attempts to increase its representation in parliament: well now hang on,

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Alan Jones calls on Berejiklian to sack Opera House boss over racing dispute

The chief executive of the Sydney Opera House, Louise Herron, says she has agreed to light up the sails of the structure with jockeys’ colours to promote the Everest horse race, but is resisting projecting words or branding onto the Opera House.

But in an extraordinary radio interview on Friday morning, this was not enough to appease 2GB shock jock Alan Jones nor the chief executive of Racing NSW, Peter V'landys, with Jones calling on the government to sack Ms Herron if she did not change her position.

Racing NSW is pushing to hold the barrier draw for the $13 million horse race at the Opera House. This would involve projecting onto the sails of the Jørn Utzon designed-building horse names, jockeys’ colours, and the numbers of the barriers.

But Ms Herron said she would not agree to projecting text onto the Opera House sails.

“We have a policy that protects our world heritage status,” Ms Herron told Jones.

“So they’re going to damage it are they?” Jones said.

“We own the Opera House. Do you get that message? You don’t. You manage it,” Jones said. He said if she did not change her position “if I were Gladys Berejiklian I would pick up the phone and sack you today.”

Ms Herron replied: “We have said yes to the Peter V'landys request to put the jockeys' colours on the sails. We have no problem with that.”

“What we won’t do is put text or videos of horse running or horses’ numbers or names or the Everest logo on the Opera House,” she said.

Video obtained by Fairfax Media of the official Racing NSW submission to the Opera House shows it wants large lists of horse names projected on the sails along with The Everest logo, video footage of horse racing and jockey's colours.

In some shots in the 50-second concept video, the giant Everest logo does not fit on the sails properly, and it ends with a poorly etched horse and jockey racing across the sails.

When Jones asked why Ms Herron would not project the text and logo on the Opera House, she replied: “It’s not a billboard".

Jones replied: “Who said? You. Who the hell do you think… who do you think you are?”

Mr V'landys also phoned into the interview, and agreed with Jones that merely lighting up the Opera House sails with jockeys colours would mean “nothing.”

“You can’t do a barrier draw without putting the horses’ name and the number,” Mr V'landys said. “That’s the whole idea of the promotion, is to beam that around the world.”

Mr V'landys said Racing NSW had agreed to not project the Everest logo onto the Opera House. “We met those demands.”

But Racing NSW wants to project an image of the Everest cup onto the sails.

“Does the trophy say Everest Cup on it?” Ms Herron asked.

“It says Everest,” Mr V'landys replied.

Mr V'landys also asked Ms Herron about an occasion in which rugby union branding was projected on to the Opera House sails.

“We were directed to do that,” Ms Herron said.

“So why is racing being discriminated against?” Mr V'landys asked.

Jones, meanwhile, said Ms Herron should “put her resignation on the table today”.

“You are completely out of your depth,” he said to Ms Herron.

“I’m telling you that I will be speaking to Gladys Berejiklian in about five, three minutes and if you can’t come to the party Louise you should lose your job.”

The Herald has requested comment from Ms Berejiklian about the issue.

Labor leader Luke Foley told ABC Radio that the Opera House should be used to promote Sydney.

“What’s being proposed here is I think reasonable,” Mr Foley said.

“I didn’t hear an outcry when the sails were lit up to promote the Mardi Gras or Ashes cricket,” he said.

The Everest will be run on Saturday, October 13 at Royal Randwick Racecourse.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/alan-jones-calls-on-berejiklian-to-sack-opera-house-boss-over-racing-dispute-20181005-p507x8.html

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Whitlam posted:

You're right that it's a somewhat disingenuous analogy so I'll withdraw it, but there's still an underlying principle that voting for someone solely on the basis of X characteristic is dumb. I wouldn't vote for a poo poo female candidate on the basis of I'm a woman and I think we need more in Parliament. If your primary (or only) reason for voting for someone is some characteristic that's out of their control and isn't policy-related, fine, vote how you want, but good luck convincing others that they're anything more than a token.

No of course not, but there's also no problem with someone who is a Chinese candidate, communicating with Chinese voters in Chinese about issues that affect the Chinese community. Like that's the very definition of offering representation.

I mean you're basically making the same argument as is made against having quotas on boards, as if there aren't equally qualified members of any community to do the job and it just happens coincidentally that straight white men always select other straight white men to do it because "they're the most qualified".

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

hooman posted:

No of course not, but there's also no problem with someone who is a Chinese candidate, communicating with Chinese voters in Chinese about issues that affect the Chinese community. Like that's the very definition of offering representation.

Also even if you disagree with this for whatever reason making the leap to 'therefore they are a Chinese government undercover operative' is insane and racist, which was why this came to attention.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

bell jar posted:

That was me, thanks for the new kicks

No worries, I'll get the money back because I only shop at Country Road/RM Williams.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

No worries, I'll get the money back because I only shop at Country Road/RM Williams.

If this is true then drat, I feel sorry for you

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

*saunters into court room wearing cowboy boots and a flanelette shirt* now i'm not one o' them city types i'm just a regular hyper-chicken *spits into spitoon*

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

LOL Sydney is so hosed "LET'S SLAP ADVERTISING EVERYWHERE"

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

This is just taking the piss.

Also it’s a great example of how terrible the liberal NBN rollout has been.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

How long till this fucker’s heart explodes?

I hate how emboldened these these right wing commentators have gotten in the last couple of years. Threatening to have someone sacked because you don’t agree with them is outright bullying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Government fat cats literally STEALING PROFITS from the poor underdog Aussie battler racing industry by refusing to turn a famous piece of architecture into a gambling billboard

• Locked thread