Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Len posted:

CAD ended?

Surprised you didn't hear, it was a big loss for the webcomics community

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Donkringel posted:

Like jeez kudos on him for the improvement.

What improvement? All he did was get so bland and boring that couldn't even sustain funny edits anymore, and the CAD mock thread ended up getting shuttered.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Len posted:

CAD ended?

He dropped any "stories" following Ethan, Ethan's Girlfriend, Not-Ethan, the Other-Not-Ethan, etc. It's just those "player-one, player-two" characters where there's no characterization (or even less than there was with Ethan-&-Co) and violence is the punchline, and the regular "video game comics" that every other gaming-related webcomic does. I don't think the dang thing will ever end, 'cause what the hell else can Buckley do?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
CAD finally rebooted, long after everyone forgot that Ctrl-Alt-Del used to be the shortcut for rebooting the computer.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Len posted:

CAD ended?

https://youtu.be/e60JlM6ZXHc

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Buckley is better than he used to be. His attempts at serialized storytelling still come off like he's trying to ape mid-2000s "Penny Arcade," but without the all-over-the-place fiction sensibilities that Tycho brings to that particular table. Instead, Buckley's just doing the sort of goofy comics that come off like the product of somebody who's only ever read goofy comics.

So credit where credit's due: Buckley went from a parody of himself to an occasionally effective draftsman who's over in his own little corner with his own audience, hurting no one. His current output isn't worth mocking, but also isn't worth running right out to see; it's just kinda there, with an occasional chuckle if you follow video game news.

It also doesn't hurt that Gabe's art style at PA is on a distinct downhill slide, which may make Buckley look better by comparison.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Wanderer posted:

It also doesn't hurt that Gabe's art style at PA is on a distinct downhill slide, which may make Buckley look better by comparison.
Did he get really into John Kricfalusi? Because these days he draws like someone who got really into John Kricfalusi.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TebCHHCw9rY

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

i hope rich is B^U

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Did he get really into John Kricfalusi? Because these days he draws like someone who got really into John Kricfalusi.

The only artist I can recall that Gabe has identified as an influence is Stephen Silver.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was some Kricfalusi in there too, though. There's a lot of that same deliberate grossness in PA from time to time.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

He is a Contrarian; lots of people complained about his art style so he's leaning hard into it and making it more repulsive on purpose

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Calaveron posted:

He is a Contrarian; lots of people complained about his art style so he's leaning hard into it and making it more repulsive on purpose

I think he's just bored.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

I had forgotten this video existed but somehow I knew exactly what this link was before I clicked it.

The End of CAD was a momentous moment for this forum. Every page for about 40 pages of the current CAD mock comic were people (myself included) walking in and being "oh hey what's been going on with CAD late- :stare:". loving hilarious.

I'm both glad Buckley has improved but have no desire to check out any of his current work. In some ways his improvement is a great loss for the internet, freeing him of mockery, but costing us the pleasure of mocking him.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Wanderer posted:

Buckley is better than he used to be. His attempts at serialized storytelling still come off like he's trying to ape mid-2000s "Penny Arcade," but without the all-over-the-place fiction sensibilities that Tycho brings to that particular table. Instead, Buckley's just doing the sort of goofy comics that come off like the product of somebody who's only ever read goofy comics.

So credit where credit's due: Buckley went from a parody of himself to an occasionally effective draftsman who's over in his own little corner with his own audience, hurting no one. His current output isn't worth mocking, but also isn't worth running right out to see; it's just kinda there, with an occasional chuckle if you follow video game news.

Polishing a turd is still a turd. He is still a ham handed hack whose very existences is offensive.
All he managed to do was get bland enough that people stopped caring.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
I just finished reading the new OoTS book (it's good, unsurprisingly), and there's a line in the introduction that jumped out at me. "I love writing the Katos [the book has a story about them], but I don't think I'm giving too much away to say that their part in the overarching plot of The Order of the Stick is mostly in the past. Hinjo, on the other hand, still has a major role to play in events yet to come, so it's not bad to be able to check in on him, too."

It's surprising to me that Hinjo still has something to do, I kind of can't imagine what that would even be.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ponsonby Britt posted:

It's surprising to me that Hinjo still has something to do, I kind of can't imagine what that would even be.

Gobbotopia.
Peace.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
CAD was a one trick pony; "Wow that Ethan guy sure is insane!" was the only joke. It was moderately funny the first year, then not.

Also I've heard that Buckley is a doosh in person.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Hinjo and O-Chul are the ones who (No Cure for the Paladin Blues) forged a peace treaty with the hobgoblin settlement that Redcloak used to conquer Azure City, and reformed the Sapphire Guard to be a force for peace and stability rather than genocide. If they hadn’t done that, the old guard would have slaughtered the hobgoblins and Gobbotopia would never have happened. Redcloak tortured O-Chul for months without knowing that he owed his entire conquest to O-Chul’s respect for the lives of all humanoids, and now they’re both hanging out at Kraagor’s gate.

There’s no way this wouldn’t come up before we learned that the gods need to team up with The Dark One to break the cycle, and now we have an outline of how that story might be shaped. Plus, lest we forget, Belkar still needs to save Hinjo’s life.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I did find it a bit surprising that, digging back through the threads here and other places from when HtPGHS released, nobody really reacted much to the revelation that Miko was actually Shojo's adopted daughter.

That makes what she does later far more tragic, in my opinion. She didn't just kill her liege, she killed her father.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Sky Shadowing posted:

That makes what she does later far more tragic, in my opinion. She didn't just kill her liege, she killed her father.

Huh. Add another to the lovely OotS dad count, I guess

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

my dad posted:

Huh. Add another to the lovely OotS dad count, I guess

Hard to blame that one on Shojo m8

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think it's mentioned in a throwaway comment in War and XPs, but the book commentary goes into the details. Part of the tragedy of Miko is that Shojo raised her to believe that she was special and had a grand destiny, which is what led her to believe that she couldn't possibly be wrong about the great conspiracy between Xykon and the Order. Rich avoided digging into her and Shojo's relationship because it was supposed to be a twist that was revealed when she fell, but the reveal was kind of overshadowed by the events surrounding it.

E: Panel 10 of the first page. It's pretty easy to overlook, which is probably part of the reason How the Paladin Got his Scar explicitly refers to her as his daughter.

For me, the biggest Miko-related tragedy from that book is that O-Chul taught her that sometimes you have to do the right thing even if everyone resents you for it.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 6, 2018

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Rygar201 posted:

Hard to blame that one on Shojo m8

Not really.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I still don't feel the slightest bit bad about Miko's fate.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Same.

The comic would be over if she didn't do the dumb things she did.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZearothK posted:

Same.

The comic would be over if she didn't do the dumb things she did.

I mean it would be over but especially with the recent revelations if Redcloak got killed there it would probably severely gently caress over any chance of them actually getting the Snarl under control, which in turn would mean short-term victory, long-term everyone's hosed.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It's kinda interesting that either way Redcloak has a grand destiny to him that his backstory every bit implies.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

my dad posted:

Not really.

I mean, Shojo told her some stuff, but he definitely didn't tell her "remember that if you don't like someone, it's a good idea to assume that they're behind everything bad that's ever happened to you and that whatever theory suits your gut is definitely true."

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, Shojo told her some stuff, but he definitely didn't tell her "remember that if you don't like someone, it's a good idea to assume that they're behind everything bad that's ever happened to you and that whatever theory suits your gut is definitely true."

Oh, Miko is absolutely an idiot, my post was more of a "Goddamnit Shojo"

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Miko is a great example of nature vs nurture.

Despite all her nuturing, her nature was to be a huge piece of poo poo.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

For me, the biggest Miko-related tragedy from that book is that O-Chul taught her that sometimes you have to do the right thing even if everyone resents you for it.

More prosaically, the other thing Miko learned from those events was, "if your master breaks a big enough rule, it's okay to kill him." I really like how that story gives more context for her actions in the main comic. It's not like she was being completely crazy there, she was just taking previously valid moral rules and failing to update them to her current circumstances.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I do, because I kind of feel like she was on the cusp of breaking through and actually starting to improve as a person. I mean, her last words are accepting compromise.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dr Pepper posted:

I do, because I kind of feel like she was on the cusp of breaking through and actually starting to improve as a person. I mean, her last words are accepting compromise.

I'd never noticed that, what a good catch.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

Not really a compromise. Just her accepting the facts laid onto her.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tinyn posted:

False. "I can live with that," was, in fact, the exact opposite of a fact.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Roland Jones posted:

False. "I can live with that," was, in fact, the exact opposite of a fact.

She didn't specify how long she'd have to live with it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Miko died alone and unloved, and her sole solace was that her horse would sometimes come visit her in the afterlife. She fell and hosed everything up because she tried to live up to O-Chul's example without his unerring moral compass. Shojo raised her to believe she had a grand magical destiny and then let her grow up with the genocide squad he'd established and stopped supervising. She sucked and was a villain, but her fate was tragic and she's definitely a victim of Bad Dad Syndrome.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Where is it said that Shojo told her she had a grand destiny tho

Shojo also didn't establish the Sapphire Guard

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Miko is the perfect example of "Lawful rear end in a top hat". I'm right and you're wrong, no questions allowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Tinyn posted:

Exactly, that's a first for Miko. :v:

Rygar201 posted:

Where is it said that Shojo told her she had a grand destiny tho

"I remember the day you chose me to come to the castle. I was still a child, but you told me you saw power in me."

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 8, 2018